• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk may be cuz I am a little biased towards liking the God Eater series, but I don't think the show is bad at all? I've seen sooooo much worse than this.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Sales Data:
Code:
[B]Neon Genesis Evangelion Blu-ray Box - 22,775[/B]
[B]Neon Genesis Evangelion DVD Box - 3,578[/B]
Total: 26,353

Franchise Total Unit Sales (in ranked order):
Code:
[LIST=1]
[*][B]Neon Genesis Evangelion - 197,453[/B]
[*][B]Bakemonogatari - 112,434[/B]
[*][B]Gundam SEED DESTINY - 93,271[/B]
[*][B]Gundam SEED - 87,280[/B]
[*][B]Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - 84,257[/B]
[*][B]Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu - 77,715[/B]
[*][B]Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch - 75,575[/B]
[*][B]Love Live! 2nd Season - 65,796[/B]
[*][B]Nisemonogatari  - 65,043[/B]
[*][B]Macross Frontier - 62,503[/B]
[/LIST]

The above numbers (outside of Eva) are from shows released after the year 2000 since that's when Oricon started tracking.

What does those numbers represent? Average sales for volumes of those series?

Mandelbo

That's because the scene wasn't supposed to be 'natural'. It was a big moment, or heroic moment I guess, for the character inside the show.

Fair enough, but I meant more that he's not really moving as I would expect a human to move, regardless of his circumstances. To me it looks like three distinct animations tweened together rather than one smooth movement.

Cornbread78

Or Akikan!.

LOL.... see below:

Akikan ep.3-6:
tumblr_ntk0cgqm591tcdhf8o1_500.gif

Trash, pure trash, but kinda funny trash, but trash regardless. I mean, the whole premise of the show was utterly ridicules from the start, but now we have a loli grape juice steel can and a sports drink girl, that is also a steel can, whose "owner" is the childhood friend that loves the MC.. They are fighting for can superiority... Wait, there is a hot witch as well that is friends with everyone.... This is craziness. Are we going to have a harem soon of steel and alluminum can girls and the MC's childhood friend? I can't even.... Oh well, I'll finish this one up in the next couple weeks since it's only 12 episodes, but still.... WTF is this show and who in a sober non-LSD state could even think this stuff up? At least there are some great one lines from the unabashed perverted MC, but still, I'm glad that I wasn;t expactign anything from the start with this one..

Joukamachi no Dandelion 09

Gee I wonder who that flying girl is whose panties we're all so used to seeing!? Akane cheats, shows off her panties to all the citzens and gets more votes. How vulgar! Shiori or Misaki should be top vote getters.

javac

Thanks. Was kinda confused by wording ''total unit sales'' as I had way bigger numbers for some of those series lol.

Sorry for the confusion, Yes, it's average sales of the initial release + re-releases. Including re-releases does skew things a bit since many shows don't get re-releases so keep that in mind. If you look at just average sales sans re-releases:
Code:
[LIST=1]
[*][B]Bakemonogatari - 79,201[/B]
[*][B]Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - 71,057[/B]
[*][B]Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED DESTINY - 68,959[/B]
[*][B]Love Live! 2nd Season - 65,796[/B]
[*][B]Nisemonogatari  - 60,709[/B]
[*][B]Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED - 58,939[/B]
[*][B]Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love Revolutions - 54,195[/B]
[*][B]Fate/Zero - 52,217[/B]
[*][B]Shingeki no Kyojin - 52,052[/B]
[*][B]Fate/Zero Second Season - 46,301[/B]
[/LIST]

JulianImp

Poor Fate/Zero S2 getting less sales than AoT... oh well, at least Monogatari's on top, so all's right in the world.

The Psycho-Pass movie is alright for those who enjoyed season 1 right? Takes place after the events in the first season and all that?

Yeah, more or less. The first season was great, but I don't think the movie or S2 actually managed to live up to it.

The closest american show I can think of to do the same thing as Psycho-Pass with the second season being trash is True Detective. Exact same thing. Amazing first season. Second season derailed. I'd be willing to give a season 3 a shot in hopes of it going back to form.

blurr

Well, Urobochi wasn't involved in PP2 so I had really low expectations but it turned out to be a lot more enjoyable than I thought.

Also, sweet seeing Monogatari topping sales.

Mandelbo

Season 2 just teaches us that society is stupid except for Akane for she is flawless. You need not know more.

Doesn't season 2 break loads of the rules that season 1 sets up regarding the sibyl system as well? Haven't actually seen it myself, but I remember seeing people talking about it around here.

Nice avatar, by the way ;P

Squalor

Well, Urobochi wasn't involved in PP2 so I had really low expectations but it turned out to be a lot more enjoyable than I thought.

Also, sweet seeing Monogatari topping sales.
Urobochi's inclusion doesn't give you low expectations, too?

javac

shouldn't k-on be on that list too?
This is what it looks like without Evangelion. TV anime series with an average of atleast 10k across all volumes, including re-releases.
Code:
1. Bakemonogatari - 112,434
2. Gundam SEED DESTINY - 93,271
3. Gundam SEED - 87,280
4. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - 84,257
5. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu - 77,715
6. Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch - 75,575
7. Love Live! 2nd Season - 65,796
8. Nisemonogatari  - 65,043
9. Macross Frontier - 62,503
10. Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 - 61,561

11. K-ON! - 56,772
12. Hagane no Renkinjutsushi - 55,398
13. Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love Revolutions - 54,195
14. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (2009) - 53,052 
15. Fate/Zero - 52,217
16. Shingeki no Kyojin - 52,052
17. K-ON!! - 48,708
18. Fate/Zero Second Season - 46,301
19. Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 - 44,872
20. Monogatari Series Second Season - 42,130

21. Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai - 41,848
22. Angel Beats - 41,638
23. Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 S2 - 40,120
24. Girls und Panzer - 38,709
25. Love Live! - 38,613
26. Lucky Star - 38,598
27. Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works - 38,452
28. Infinite Stratos - 37,113
29. Sword Art Online - 36,132
30. Fate/stay night - 35,463

Excluding re-releases:
Code:
1. Bakemonogatari - 79,201
2. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - 71,057
3. Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED DESTINY - 68,959
4. Love Live! 2nd Season - 65,796
5. Nisemonogatari - 60,709
6. Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED - 58,939
7. Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love Revolutions - 54,195
8. Fate/Zero - 52,217
9. Shingeki no Kyojin - 52,052
10. Fate/Zero Second Season - 46,301

11. Macross Frontier - 46,297
12. Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch - 45,385
13. K-ON! - 43,878
14. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu - 42,756
15. Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 - 42,690
16. Monogatari Series Second Season - 42,130
17. K-ON!! - 39,472
18. Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 - 39,353
19. Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works - 38,452
20. Hagane no Renkinjutsushi - 36,574

21. Sword Art Online - 36,132
22. Girls und Panzer - 36,127
23. Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 S2 - 34,601
24. Angel Beats! - 34,107
25. Infinite Stratos - 33,863
26. Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% - 33,775 
27. Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai - 31,807
28. THE IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls + G4U Bundle - 31,389
29. Persona 4 - 31,283
30. Lucky Star - 30,074

Is there a reason why Love Live S2 sold almost double the amount of S1?

It's really odd compared to Fate/zero, K-on and Monogatari where the first season sold the most.

--------

Seeing Persona 4 on one of those lists is also interesting

Despite Urobuchi's writing flaws, he's still on the higher tier of anime writers.

Agreed. I really wish he was writing the new Gundam show and not Mari Okada. I feel like he knows how to make a show dark without it coming off as forced and edgy.

His way of writing I feel would have lent itself perfectly to something like Gundam.

There's no way I can agree to that after Aldabortion.Zero.

I really wish he would go back to writing full series and not just write a few episodes before jumping ship to something else.

Aldonoah Zero probably would have been great had he not jumped ship after the first three episodes.

He only wrote three episodes, which were by far the best of the show.

I wonder what Urobuchi has to say about that. Like, did he want the show to turn out the way it did? I can't imagine him saying yes. Does he actually regret only writing the first three episodes and wishes he could have wrote the whole series?

Jarmel

Banned
I wonder what Urobuchi has to say about that. Like, did he want the show to turn out the way it did? I can't imagine him saying yes. Does he actually regret only writing the first three episodes and wishes he could have wrote the whole series?

They used his discarded outline for the first season and my understanding is that he knew it was weak as he sorta disowned it.

I think he does want to do a mecha show someday as he's a big Gundam fan.

Squalor

He only wrote three episodes, which were by far the best of the show.
There was nothing in the first three episodes that made the character development or dialogue or anything like that demonstrably better than what followed.

It just hadn't had the opportunity to go off the rails yet.

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 30

Yui waiting at home like a good wife. Scarlet beasting a lot as of late. Lock has terrible aim. At least try to hit something. Dude has actual ambitions. Dyspear is pretty lame. Good thing Shut got left behind. Now the castle is a toy. They really can sell anything. New attack is okay, though I don't like how Flora is at the center of a lot of it. So Lock didn't bite it quite yet. Pretty good overall.
I'd say I called Close coming back, but I'm not certain it's him and not the new villains.

Jarmel

Banned
There was nothing in the first three episodes that made the character development or dialogue or anything like that demonstrably better than what followed.

It just hadn't had the opportunity to go off the rails yet.

There isn't going to be much character development in the opening three episodes of almost any show. He did however sell the danger of the conflict; through things like the Castle Drops, Inaho's friend getting vaporized in the shield, and Slaine icing his commander. There was more build up to events so they felt climatic.

Squalor

There isn't going to be much character development in the opening three episodes of almost any show.
Untrue for good/great shows.
He did however sell the danger of the conflict; through things like the Castle Drops, Inaho's friend getting vaporized in the shield, and Slaine icing his commander. There was more build up to events so they felt climatic.
He also set up the anti-climax of Inaho being a literal god in a machine.

They used his discarded outline for the first season and my understanding is that he knew it was weak as he sorta disowned it.

I think he does want to do a mecha show someday as he's a big Gundam fan.

He really should make a mecha show. A Gundam show by Urobuchi I feel could save the franchise.

With S2 they sold out and became mainstream. I was there when they were an obscure show at only position 25.

So who are these crazy people wbo only buy the second season of a show?

Not really, plenty of good shows start without any character development at the start while some bad shows do have it, it mostly depends on the genre and the kind of story a show has.

Squalor

He really should make a mecha show. A Gundam show by Urobuchi I feel could save the franchise.
Weren't there rumors early this year or late last year that he was going to be doing that?

I don't know if I agree, but it'd be interesting to check out, at least at first.

He also set up the anti-climax of Inaho being a literal god in a machine.

Not really.

Depending on the show's length, the first three episodes should focus more on strong establishment rather than development. Development should still be there, but the foundation of the characters still needs to be expanded on that early in a show.

For example: The first three episodes of Evangelion don't have much on the way of character development. Shinji's fragile emotional state is established then and that gets developed as more characters are introduced later on in the show. The first three episodes show what Shinji is like and how he reacts to certain things that early on. The developing part comes later.

Weren't there rumors early this year or late last year that he was going to be doing that?

I don't know if I agree, but it'd be interesting to check out, at least at first.

I don't think so. The rumours for the new Gundam show were that the director and writer of Code Geass were going to be working on it IIRC.

ibyea

Banned
Doesn't season 2 break loads of the rules that season 1 sets up regarding the sibyl system as well? Haven't actually seen it myself, but I remember seeing people talking about it around here.

Nice avatar, by the way ;P

Yup, that is correct. It also completely reverses the ethics aspect and Akane's outlook of the Sibyl system set up by the first season. It's dumb.

So

Watched Fate Stay Night UFOTABLE remake....

Sigh.. it wasnt as horrible but it wasnt amazing either.

Loved the fights i guess... they were mostly plot devices though. The whole series was in love with its plot. The only fight that was meaningful and cool was how Unlimited Blade works was a counter to Gilgamesh. Probably the only fight that was given anything to stand on.

Story was fine but man what a departure from Fate Zero ( yeah i know its not technically a departure)

Shame. I would have been happy with UFOtable retroing the entire thing and building more off of Fate Zero. Outside of Gilgamesh the connections were very weak which is a shame since Fate Zero is the perfect stepping stone.

Oh well. Had my fill of the Fate series and I dont expect much from Heavens Feel

Squalor

Not really.

Depending on the show's length, the first three episodes should focus more on strong establishment rather than development. Development should still be there, but the foundation of the characters still needs to be expanded on that early in a show.

For example: The first three episodes of Evangelion don't have much on the way of character development. Shinji's fragile emotional state is established then and that gets developed as more characters are introduced later on in the show. The first three episodes show what Shinji is like and how he reacts to certain things that early on. The developing part comes later.
What you just described is exactly what character development is. You can't develop a character until you have a foundation for who that character is.
I don't think so. The rumours for the new Gundam show were that the director and writer of Code Geass were going to be working on it IIRC.
Ew. That's not good at all.

Jarmel

Banned
What you just described is exactly what character development is. You can't develop a character until you have a foundation for who that character is.

Almost all shows establish their characters in the first few episodes. Development is changing the audience's perception of a character through either the characters themselves changing or by learning of a character's background. Even looking at something like Hyouka, much of the character development came later and it was a slow process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom