• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
yeah, the crunchyroll player is shite IMHO. whether using the PS4 app or on my PC, I always have some sort of problem with it...

oh and..

Hi! Im new here :)
(please be gentle)

Hello new one! Welcome to the madhouse hehee

Not sure what the deal is dude. I've been streaming on Crunchyroll with an unsupported and/or updated Kindle version and have not had any issues at all today.

(that's what she said..... hehehehe, so childish..)

Welcome. Kick your shoes off, put your feet on the desk, relax and have a good time. Oh and share your anime experiences.... A LOT!

Which means you have to go watch Clannad & Clannad After Story right away to fit in properly if you haven't already, feel the pain, love and pure emotion and share with us all. Oh, then you have to $hit on SAO and Kirito like he killed your family...Once you have done that, you have been properly initiated with those blood sweat and tears and anime..

tumblr_nr2w8wnjNm1tjlx3vo1_500.gif

Now now dont challenge him right away. Lets find out what he likes first.

you know.... after lurking in another random anime thread and falling victim to somebody recommending school days to someone....

um... I like SAO.....
tumblr_mgmbuoIEvm1r8c3ueo1_500.gif

mine doesnt stutter, it just stops... then starts again. after that it seems ok. or it takes awhile to start playing. when i was watching on the PS4 app, the damn app would crash every few videos! granted i heard that the app was a crappy version of the PS3 app which ppl say wasnt that great to begin with...

um... my fav anime is.... hum... dunno atm. I can say that Vampire Hunter D was what got me into anime in the first place.... so... shit away peeps!!!! ;)

also, why do people pronounce anime as onime?!?!?! drives me crazy!

Hmmm vampire stuff? Have you seen Hellsing?
As for anime, its actually a french term, and you know how they pronounce things.
The French are for some reason utterly obsessed with anime and animation in general.

oh, I do have one of these on pre-order...

also have the Kill La Kill finial form Ryuko on pre-order as well...
some may say NSFW

Sorry Im one of those not impressed at all with Hestia's design. I find it boring. But to each their own. I much rather they move on to other character figures, like Lili and Syr.
ALso you are apparently not aware of this, but figurine talk on Gaf is sort of taboo in light of recent events with the community. Its a long story and I can explain in Pm's if you like.
The Ryuko is awesome though!

Phatmac

Gintama 279

Holy shit did this segment crack me up. Seriously nipples lol. Anyway this episode was quite different in the visual department than any Gintama episode. It felt different especially with all the city lights and everything. The episode itself was good and quite hilarious. The part where Gin said this one's for Krillin killed me.

Reaper-chan is pretty hilarious and cute herself, with her removing Gin's nipple. Great introduction to the serious arc so far.
Lol yep I guess this arc will have lots of nipple abuse for poor Gintoki. It looks really good so this arc is probably gonna be great

Non Non Biyori 01

From the opening establishing shots to the music, the opening of Non Non Biyori does a perfect job of introducing the theme and tone of the series. The opening lines from Renchon explain the theme or question of this particular episode. (That is "are we country bumpkins?") This is explored a few times throughout the episode through question, denial and acceptance. While not overly stimulating it is done well.

The comedic moments were done well. The fact that they acknowledge the boy in their class through numbers but not by name or direct contact was humourous and emphasized further with the gag in the hallway.

Gbraga

Gangsta 2

Nina is a miracle of the Universe, I'm completely satisfied. Dog tags were introduced and I can't wait till they animate Nick and Worick's backstory.

Oh shit, we're getting a gaiden arc?

This is gonna be great, isn't it? Is the manga already finished?

Gintama 279

Holy shit did this segment crack me up. Seriously nipples lol. Anyway this episode was quite different in the visual department than any Gintama episode. It felt different especially with all the city lights and everything. The episode itself was good and quite hilarious. The part where Gin said this one's for Krillin killed me.

Reaper-chan is pretty hilarious and cute herself, with her removing Gin's nipple. Great introduction to the serious arc so far.

I need to pick gintama back up

cajunator

Banned
Why do the cures that use fire always get the best transformation sequences

Because fire is freaking awesome in motion and transformations that use the element also look awesome in motion. That usually translates to an outgoing fiery personality as well. Some are really into that.

Damn, so my impressions are pretty on point with what happened in production then. Is that the way the LN ended as well? Such an odd "non-ending ending" way to leave things, even for a novel... It's my own fault for expecting more moments like :
tumblr_nqhtvbKiUh1sqwgulo1_500.jpg

but not getting it. Rikka and Yuuta were too cute a couple to get treated like that. I actually really liked Yuuta's approach of being a solid MC and not waivering in resolve the entire season..

Yeah, sorry dude. It's definately "cute" and has some fun moments, but it plays out like an endless SoL series instead of moving forward. Now it does show a little progression for Rikka, but not what you would think or expect in this case; it is rather unfortunate...

If you like those kind of moments you might enjoy Ai Yori Aoshi, although it doesnt fully advance either. Very few shows do. Have you seen Planetes?

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto (Someday's Dreamers)

I'm really really sorry, I'm positive someone in this thread did a write up of this and to whomever you are, it caught my eye and because of it, I decided to watch this. (Should start writing down names of people that inspire me to watch something).

Someday's Dreamers is.... well it's an odd slice of life anime. Imagine a world where magic was possible, but in this world, the mages are working for the government and a lot of what you can and can't do is regulated and constantly being watched; sounds scary right?

Someday's Dreamers follows Kikuchi Yume, our emotional/sensitive protagonist. She's a mage in training and has come to Tokyo to better understand her powers, what it's like to be a mage and to become a certified mage. Throughout Someday's Dreamers, we follow her time in Tokyo and all the issues she faces.

Now even though Kikuchi Yume is our protag and it's all about her, the supports, Angela, another girl who is an apprentice mage is also slightly important and is shown; there are clear arcs that involve her and Kikuchi too. The other "main" person would be the sensei or the mage who helps Yume with the mage training, Masami Oyamada. He's the teacher for Yume and is involved with just about everything that Yume does, although he's laidback and has some issues of his own that we eventually get to explore.

The story, for the most part is very conjoined, it's a slice of life with an episodic format (Which I feel isn't the best choice for Someday's Dreamers, I would have preferred a story that flowed in an easier to follow format). When we're first introduced to Yume, we're told she has extraordinary capabilities and that her mother was a great mage as well. She's able to make money from thin air, lift cars in a city straight into the sky and things that really show, she's powerful. Unfortunately, this angle is never really explored and is essentially forgotten throughout the rest of the episodes.

Although Someday's Dreamers does us it's nigh-on episodic format, it's not "bad" enough to make a big difference, there is just no clear cut time line for us to follow and it feels like there are time skips that keep occurring, though that might be my problem and not the anime.

The sound and music in Someday's Dreamers is gorgeous though, it's a huge "job well done", big thumbs up and all that. The instrumental, orchestrated music that will pop up during scenes is phenomenal and well worth a listen to. The OP (Flowers of the Wind) is fantastic and so peaceful, relaxing and slow; the singer is so beautiful and the way the song is setup, it just sounds so good. The ED (Under the Blue Sky) is just as good, although using a slightly quicker tempo (still plenty slow though), beautiful vocalist, great lyrics. In Episode 12, we get to hear the ED in an acoustic way and it is quite amazing, you can hear (or I think) the passion and depth of the song with how it's performed in an acoustic environment; it's 10/10 stuff.

Seiyuu performance: Normally I don't comment on this, because I love the squeeful, extra cute, moe stuff and since that's all I watch, nothing to say. In Someday's Dreamers however, it sounds like all the seiyuu are very quiet and I don't mean I'm listening to the anime with low volume. It's as if they're near whispering, talking very softly, ya know? This isn't a problem for me, since I seem to talk the same way, soft and "peaceful", but the problem is, it feels like the performances fell flat. Expressions weren't adjusted as much as you'd think and it's a little weird to hear all the performers speak in this low tone type of voice. Now again, not an issue for me, but I feel like the way they speak could most definitely put someone off from this.

Animation: Another aspect in which Someday's Dreamers isn't so hot. It's not fluid, at all. I guess this is what a cheap budget would look like. The mouths just open and close, there are no intricacies in the movements, the animation is .... well I guess not as smooth as it could be. There are many stills used to prolong scenes, and things of that nature. It's a warning, the animation in Someday's Dreamers is not a strong point at all, but fortunately for Someday's Dreamers, it doesn't have to be perfect and extra smooth. The way the entire anime is shown to us, the lack of polish and depth to the animation is almost a non issue...... except for the mouths, I swear there are scenes that literally only have open and close mouth frames with nothing in-between. Again, it's not.... that bad to scare you off, but it's something I noticed and was noticeable throughout all 12 episodes. A good point on animation is when the "special" powers are used. The powers are shown by using holograms, so Yume for instance has a dolphin. Those scenes are incredible and are both drawn and animated well.

Art Style: If we take the animation away from the picture and focus on art, I'd say it's good enough for the way Someday's Dreamers wants to be presented. The colors aren't bold, they're subdued and honestly, almost realistic in how it's shown. The characters are drawn really well and I actually like how it all looks. The eyes aren't so big compared to the faces (I know people hate big eyes). It's a good looking show, even if there isn't so much detail.

Overall: Someday's Dreamers is a solid slice of life story about decision making and always trying to get the best out of any given situation. It's kind, light hearted, sincere and sometimes even serious in how it presents itself. Not everyone will understand what it's like to be a mage, not everyone will understand that you can't do everything, but always try your best, failures and mistakes can help you grow and become better. Yume was a fantastic Main and the concept and theme of the story worked well, I just wish we could have seen more of her capabilities and things of that, because we don't witness much strong magic. (If you're interested, Someday's Dreamers is on Hulu, if you don't want to buy the DVD)

Note: No idea where to put it, but this is a very slow, unfolding type of Slice of Life. I mean... very slow. (I obviously enjoyed it though)

I love this series to death. Yume is a cutie with her crazy ahoge, but I was drawn to the art style and the pastel, ethereal look of it. Very calming. Really relaxed pace and self contained stories. Kind of like the format of shows like mushishi. Very episodic.
Also has a bit of manservice for those interested, given that its shoujo.
Have you seen Sora yet?

Sentai has Non Non Biyori Repeat.

Sentai still winning.

People reacting to Gakkou Gurashi for the first time.

How adorable

Is this gonna be one of those wink nod sorta shows? Cause I havent watched it yet.
Sometimes I feel like the surprise is spoiled with how people react to watching certain things lol.

Oh shit, we're getting a gaiden arc?

This is gonna be great, isn't it? Is the manga already finished?

It's still ongoing. I haven't read much just about 3 Vols, but from what I heard from others who are up to dates with the series it gets really depressing.

cj_iwakura

Maria The Virgin Witch 06

Catholic priests are nuts. (I'm embarrassed by that religion sometimes.)

Uh, is there some kind of reason she always sleeps naked, or not really.

I believe in the Middle Ages it was pretty common to sleep in the nude.

Of course people were extremely mindful of sinful behaviors back then, night gowns and stuff were common as well. Lots of documents like paintings show both.

cj_iwakura

I believe in the Middle Ages it was pretty common to sleep in the nude.

Of course people were extremely mindful of sinful behaviors back then, night gowns and stuff were common as well. Lots of documents like paintings show both.

I figure, but it shows it so often that I'm wonder if there's some other reason.

Or fan service.

Arcadius

Banned
I love this series to death. Yume is a cutie with her crazy ahoge, but I was drawn to the art style and the pastel, ethereal look of it. Very calming. Really relaxed pace and self contained stories. Kind of like the format of shows like mushishi. Very episodic.
Also has a bit of manservice for those interested, given that its shoujo.
Have you seen Sora yet?

Watching Sora now actually. I agree with the "ethereal" look it had going, and it was incredibly calming and relaxing, a huge part for that is also the way everyone spoke, it factored in so much. The content is slow and everything.

Phatmac

Without Nicolas this show wouldn't be as good as it is right now. He has a certain charm that's rare to accomplish as a threatning individual that still has his humanity by show that he cares towards women like Alex and Nina. His sign language is also a nice bonus not seen in other anime. Nina is a nice new addition to the show as a beacon of hope in a messed up world that I fear will have an untimely fate that'll be depressing. Everything about this show is just good. The music especially has been great so far. The action was quick but good enough this episode and it introduced us to the concept of tags well enough. Solid episode all around.

Jarmel

Banned
School-Live-1
I applaud the staff's dedication to
trolling. So this was much darker than I expected. I knew there was a twist just from general comments and seeing some of the later manga pages but I thought it would be something simple like she walks into the classroom at the end and all the students are murdered. I didn't expect her to be hallucinating the classmates. Like holy fuck that's dark. I mean they give you enough hints so it's not completely out of left field like the cross being a tombstone marker on the roof, the novel, and the writings on the chalkboard but still. I feel bad for the dog because you know he's going to die somehow.

Maria the Virgin Witch shows a fairly accurate representation of the era, especially coming from a Japanese mangaka.

Of course there are some glaring mistakes, the biggest one I can find being that the roof of the Sistine Chapel painted by Michaelangelo was painted decades after the Hundred Years War, yet when it is shown it is already fully completed and covered in soot as if it had been there for a hundred years. It does good in other areas, though. Warfare I remember being pretty accurate.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
School-Live-1

I applaud the staff's dedication to
trolling. So this was much darker than I expected. I knew there was a twist just from general comments and seeing some of the later manga pages but I thought it would be something simple like she walks into the classroom at the end and all the students are murdered. I didn't expect her to be hallucinating the classmates. Like holy fuck that's dark. I mean they give you enough hints so it's not completely out of left field like the cross being a tombstone marker on the roof, the novel, and the writings on the chalkboard but still. I feel bad for the dog because you know he's going to die somehow.

O have some bad news, that dog is already dead. They showed a torn collar at one point. It also accounts for the impossible stuff said dog can do.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Goddammit studen council wife, you're not supposed to beat prison school and monmusu!

Not really, she just like to sleep in the nude. Can't blame her, it's quite comfortable

Ore monogatari 14

RIP sister route. I love seeing Takeo goofy face. That's enough reason for me to watch this.

Rokka no Yuusha 1

Oh, i like this one. That some cool action scene. My minor complaint will be that exposition and Ardlet "the strongest guy in the world" thing. Yes, we get it, you're the best, numero uno, the sugoiest desu.

Cornbread78

The manga girl gets even better with her antics and there's this specific scene where she literally gets blown away. It makes for a great gif. Also the whole cast in this series are really enjoyable and full of energy.

As a person who thinks Yui's mom is great the Mom that gets introduced later in Barakamon is far superior.
What about the belly button?

Oh, very nice, I can't wait to meet her, lol. The setting is great as well, reminds me a little of Air.

If you like those kind of moments you might enjoy Ai Yori Aoshi, although it doesnt fully advance either. Very few shows do. Have you seen Planetes?

MAL:
Synopsis
Kaoru Hanabishi, a college student who lives alone, met a beautiful but bewildered girl dressed in a kimono at a train station. He volunteered to guide her way to the address she was looking for, which happened to be in his neighborhood, but turned out to be an empty lot. Not knowing what to do next, Kaoru invited the devastated girl to his apartment and asked for any additional clues to her destination. She supplied him with a photo of two children whom Kauru immediately identified as himself and Aoi Sakuraba, his childhood friend. It turned out that the girl in front of him is Aoi Sakuraba herself, his betrothed fiancee who came all the way to Tokyo to marry him. Her revelation was not only surprising but also reminded the deepest part of Kaoru's memory for why he left the Hanabishi family in the first place.

That sounds like a pretty interesting watch! I also saw the below on MAL, which I might want to check out at some point.

Aishiteruze Baby★★

Has anyone seen or heard anything on that one? Very interesting premise there..

Arcadius too huh? RIP

In the deep dark seasons of eastern animation
That's the place where I talk about waifus
And it's there I read on a hillside gravestone
You'll never leave animegaf alive.

It's not at all an inaccurate view of witch prosecution, though.

Well other then the obvious fact that witches don't actually exist, it shows a decent representation of the scaremongering and scapegoating that happened in that era and the power the church held during that time. Like if you take out the insanely powerful magic and Maria's direct relationship with angels then she is pretty much just a healer using herbs and shit, which the Catholic Church probably would not like since the solution for getting over disease was "pray to God."

Now this thread is just shit.

Ok? It's only a month, I think. Doesn't surprise me at all that he got banned for that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have no idea what's going on. I swear, like half the time I wander into this thread, someone's banned and everyone's like "oh shit!" and I have no idea why. Can't y'all behave?

cajunator

Banned
Oh, very nice, I can't wait to meet her, lol. The setting is great as well, reminds me a little of Air.

MAL:

That sounds like a pretty interesting watch! I also saw the below on MAL, which I might want to check out at some point.

Aishiteruze Baby★★

Has anyone seen or heard anything on that one? Very interesting premise there..

Yes. Aishiteruze baby is like a predecessor to Usagi Drop. Its adorable as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom