• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Beef Stroganoff B- Live and Learn Edition
Well this is interesting, as while the sequel fixes almost all of my standing issues with its predecessor, it also introduces some new ones. Directorially the show is better almost on all fronts. There is no severe tone whiplash that the original series drowned on which makes the episodes feel less overly melodramatic. In fact there's less melodrama in general despite a few sequences. The show drops the school aspect except for the school festival and the show is much better as a result as instead it focuses on the 'saving the world' aspect and takes itself less seriously in contrast to the prior season. This helps the pacing in that the show doesn't drag except for the middle due to the writing of the villains. The conclusion was pretty cool too in the usual shounen way. Not to mention it doesn't have a try-hard pretentious ED, as seen in the first season.
9jKPQBB.jpg
HffbXZ5.jpg

Needed more Eye of the Tiger though.
I liked how there was much more effort to make the villains sympathetic in that Maria and her troupe have a very good reason for their actions. So good in fact that it made me wonder why the protagonists weren't helping out.
I had jokingly thought at the end of the first season that even that chunk of the moon should have been enough to fuck up the Earth significantly and low and behold, the second season is about preventing the moon crashing to the Earth due to a change in orbit
. I was impressed in how the second season followed up aspects of the first season in terms of consequence such as Hibiki undergoing bullying due to the concert fight in the first episode of the first season. This threw me for a loop as the first season never even hinted at this. In some ways this season worked as a companion piece to tie up some loose ends from before and I appreciated that level of narrative cohesiveness.
The animation was surprisingly better than the first season although the production values slipped in the later episodes. I was hoping for more from the final episode and while it wasn't badly animated, it also wasn't particularly impressive either. Apparently my desire that the rest of the season be close to the quality of the first episode, was left unfulfilled. Still there were stand out fights such as in episode 4 and episode 11. The fights themselves are more intriguing in that the Symphogear users are largely fighting each other and human vs. human fights are usually more interesting than humans vs. monsters/creatures. The storyboarding even outside of the fights was vastly improved such as the singing sequences or the concert in episode 1. Not to mention the design work surpassed the original season as the character models look sharper and sequences 'pop' more. It's just an all around better quality production visually in contrast to S1. The music itself also took a huge jump from the quality of the individual insert songs such as Chris's battle song and Tsubasa's music altogether (Nana getting dat work I guess). Maria's transformation song is pretty awesome due to the strong male chorus. The general background music exceeds the quality present in the first season, partially due to the larger variety.
My only major issue with this season are the villains (I'm talking about the new Symphogear squad). Now while I appreciate making them sympathetic and the audience being able to empathize with them, it also appeared that many of their actions were unnecessary and only served to muddle their goals. So they want to
save the world from the moon. Fine, but why then are they pretending to be terrorists? How does that help their goal? Why would collaborating with the Americans later help them achieve their means? If all it took was one person using the Anti-Symphogear Symphogear to reach Frontier, why weren't they just searching for a person in the first place? Why did they need to trick Ver with the whole Fine thing?
The writing for the villains, if you can even call them that, seemed as if there was a major rewrite somewhere or that someone realized that they needed to pad out the episode count.
Now as for this fucker, he was a complete step down from Fine. Fine was at least intimidating while Ver is closer to something like a petulant child. He loses any sort of threatening demeanor after the creature gets pwned by Berserk Hibiki and never regains it. It's obvious that he's going to backstab people yet they play along, such as
Chris. Why Chris? Why did you let him put an explosive bomb collar on you? Girl you should have known better
. Also Fine had a strong thematic connection to the show and so her goals worked to deepen the message of the first season. Vers had nothing except maybe being so comically buffoonish which might have been fine by itself except everybody else plays along which just makes it frustrating. His creature
biting Hibiki's arm off was a good way of making it scary but the show promptly undoes that by having Hibiki roflstomp it into oblivion the next episode.
His character design also was pretty weak too which didn't help matters.
The old cast was much more likable this season as they aren't being dragged down in C rate drama. Hibiki is still my favorite though as I like that stupid side of her, it's cute. Why though does she have the worst fucking songs? It's aggravating as her VA clearly can't sing worth shit. Tsubasa improved dramatically as she takes on the cool senpai role the entire time.
http://webm.host/fa4b8/vid.webm
Morgan Freeman would be proud. Goddamn.
So definitely better than the first season but the writing got too meandering, not only with the antagonists but some things with Hibiki, which ultimately ended up hurting my impressions.

Sölf

How much more chapters are there currently of Soma? I know that the first year is still not done in the manga, but how much more is there?

Quasar

Prison School - 12

This adaptation just fell flat for me, even though I suppose I can't say it's terrible. For what it's worth, the voice acting is great for the most part, so there's that.

For me I thought it was fine, its just that I came to realise its a story that doesn't have any replay value for me. I guess a good part of the story is shock value so going through it again isn't that interesting. Plus I never really liked that first arc that much. At least compared to arc two. The show certainly did tension well though. In the end though its been more an academic exercise in seeing how they present such a manga to tv. In that way I wonder about the live action show too.

Sölf;179966437 said:
How much more chapters are there currently of Soma? I know that the first year is still not done in the manga, but how much more is there?

Enough for a S2. This ended around 60...the arc ends at 104. Currently there are 135 chapters. The arcs after are smaller, they could do it.

Beef Stroganoff B- Live and Learn Edition

I need to find a playlist of all the songs, I can't remember which was with each season. That Chris song you linked is probably my favorite aside from Carol's

Sölf;179966890 said:
Sounds great. So S2 next year, right guys?

We keep talking like it's 100% going to happen but who knows. I think a lot of us would be surprised if it didn't, Soma is popular and they were going about as slow as possible.

I need to find a playlist of all the songs, I can't remember which was with each season. That Chris song you linked is probably my favorite aside from Carol's

Oops, forgot Tsubasa's from G, I am ashamed

Cornbread78

Prison School ep. 12
Hell yeah. What a way to end the season, and those closing scenes were jaw dropping, I had no idea. What a great ending to the season it's going to be a long wait for season 2.

Wait so there is another Fate show out now

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA 2wei Herz!

is this any good?

If you're going to watch Prison Prisma Illya, then at least watch it in order:
If I'm correct:
  • Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya
  • Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!
  • Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz!
  • Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!

Soma - Finale

Little strange that we didn't get any major foodgasms from the judges for these last two, but Erina helped out with that I suppose.

Other than that, hot damn, what a fantastic feel-good show. 8/10 from me and it could've been more if it felt a tad less repetitive in its structure and the fanservice wasn't as bad sometimes. I mean, I love some of those foodgasms but when you get random creep shops and close up boob jiggles, that's as cheap as it feels.

A second season is something I'm really looking forward to...so I'll just go ahead and pray we'll actually get one.

Cornbread78

School Live ep.12
Damn, why was that ending so sad? I mean
everyone was safe in the end, well except the cute pup, that was super sad
Overall, I'm still not sure where to rank this show because it was just so hot & cold, but the last couple were pretty damn good.

It would be funny to live in a world in which World Trigger got a 2nd season while Food Wars! didnt, though it already does have double the episode count.

I want a second Food Wars for epically awesome Taku, and a 3rd season for Kuga.

It would be funny to live in a world in which World Trigger got a 2nd season while Food Wars! didnt, though it already does have double the episode count.

I want a second Food Wars for epically awesome Taku, and a 3rd season for Kuga.

The former was made by Toei on a $5 dollar budget and it's second season is completely filler though I assume a filler second season probably implies they intend to adapt more of the series.

Phatmac

Noragami is a lot better than I thought it'd be. It has set up an unterseting yet familiar world with fun characters it's mainly been Yato's show as he's been funny with his delusions of being a rich good being the highlight. The OP is a hot jam though. Best part of the show.

Non Non Biyori 02
I am dropping the show here. Not because it is bad, but because it is waaaay too slow for me. Me, the SoL guy that I am to say this is surprising. I got to see what it is all about at least.

SephLuis

Classroom Crisis

The black sheep of this season. It started slow and weak, but I enjoyed everything they showed in those 13 episodes. The final episode is really good, even if it's predictable. It also hints for a S2 if they can make it.

Firemind

The story takes place in the countryside village of Asahigaoka, a place lacking many of the conveniences that people from the city are accustomed to. The nearest stores are miles away and the school consists of only five students, each of whom is in a different grade of elementary or middle school. Hotaru Ichijo, a fifth grader from Tokyo, transfers into Asahigaoka Branch School and has to adjust to countryside life with her new friends.
Studio Silver Link
Sounds like the most boring show ever. Well, apart from Aria.

javac

When I look at the shows that I gravitate towards, I never find myself being pull towards or really liking shows that are above everything else, 'chill'. I guess the only example I could think of is Patlabor if you want to use the term broadly, but in that sense almost every TV show has some chill to it. On the other hand, when it comes to films, I tend to be the opposite, and I'm often pulled toward SoL dramas like Only Yesterday. Every show has that one episode that is full on Slice of Life, but I don't think that I've ever been attracted or watched a bona fide SoL show. Contrary to that, I will say that when it comes to TV series, a slow burner is often something that I do appreciate, so the pacing may not be the thing that repels me, but these slower shows tend to be the physiological kind, and thus less relaxing and more tense.

disgusting. hand in your sol badge

no. At least get to Candy Store.

Terrible mistake.

Non Non Biyori is the chillest show ever made. You are not chill.

Those are fighting words m8.

DEATH™;179973572 said:
NOOOOOOO

At least watch Episode 4 and 10

z3W9Cak.gif

Holy crap wasn't expecting it to be this bad.

I tried I really did. I loved the heck out of Barakamon. But while I was watching episode 2 I was yawning. Maybe it's the setting? The lack of different characters? Idk,
I'm only making it worse aren't I

z3W9Cak.gif

I tried I really did. I loved the heck out of Barakamon. But while I was watching episode 2 I was yawning. Maybe it's the setting? The lack of different characters? Idk,

You dont make Ren-chon sad

Quasar

Yes. you are. There's different characters.

Odd that you'd call out setting as both are rural Japan, though Barakamons is more idealised.

DEATH™

z3W9Cak.gif

Yes you are...

Don't worry, things will pick up soon... At least finish up till end of episode 4... DONT BLINK

Yes. you are. There's different characters.

Odd that you'd call out setting as both are rural Japan, though Barakamons is more idealised.

What I meant by the setting wasn't the fact that it was in the country, but more that the majority of the 2 episodes, it was the 4 girls in the tiny classroom. Ren is great and their interactions are cute and whatnot, but I can't see myself watching two cours of just this.

DEATH™;179974595 said:
Yes you are...

Don't worry, things will pick up soon... At least finish up till end of episode 4... DONT BLINK

I don't know lol. I feel like I know why you are telling me to watch it since I have seen gifs and webms of that scene that you are talking about.

Quasar

What I meant by the setting wasn't the fact that it was in the country, but more that the majority of the 2 episodes, it was the 4 girls in the tiny classroom. Ren is great and their interactions are cute and whatnot, but I can't see myself watching two cours of just this.

Well the locations are more varied than that overall. Certainly some of it happens in that classroom, as it probably should for a show about schoolkids.

Firemind

Boring as a quality descriptor always strikes me as a poor one, it implies that slow paced shows can't be engaging or well made. That's probably not what you are implying but I've seen way too many describe stuff like 2001 as boring.
I mean, you haven't really described why the show is captivating and worth spending twelve episodes on. None of you have, actually.

Well the locations are more varied than that overall. Certainly some of it happens in that classroom, as it probably should for a show about schoolkids.
*yawn*

I mean, you haven't really described why the show is captivating and worth spending twelve episodes on. None of you have, actually.

It scratches the same itch a lot of popular Slice of Life shows do and that is to give someone a look in to a particular kind of setting. The show is really good looking, especially the environments. The music helps set that tone as well. I think the character interactions are where the show really shines and the show is excellent at delivering the heartfelt moments.

But really it's rather difficult to write a lot about Non Non Biyori. Whenever I finish an episode and am satisfied even if not a lot happened.

Started watching Bakemonogatari. I feel so lost...

Like, things just happen.

I started watching it not too long ago but I've found it pretty easy to follow. What confuses you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom