• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
This has been happening frequently enough lately that I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder: solicitation, discussion, and linking of pirated material is prohibited. This includes illegal streams, torrents, aggregators, fansub & sub group discussion, links to websites containing entire anime soundtrack albums magically for free, etc. Use common sense here. Discussion of legal, ethical, and economic implications of piracy is okay.

Basically, the section on piracy & copyrighted material in the Terms of Service applies here to anime as well.

D. Emulation/Piracy

The topics of emulation and piracy in the context of the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software, and livestreams of pirated software play are all strictly prohibited.

FULL SUMMER SCHEDULE

SIMULCAST SCHEDULE (Links = Stream)
Simulcast Time Converter (Listed times are PDT/EDT)
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
  • God Eater - DS - 06:30/09:30
  • GANGSTA. - FN - 19:30/22:30
  • Venus Project - N/A - N/A
  • Wakako-zake - N/A - N/A

Legend:
Show - Location - Time(PST/EST)
CR - Crunchyroll
FN - Funimation
DS - Daisuki
HL - Hulu
YT - YouTube

Regional Streaming Restriction May Apply

CONTINUING SHOWS

INDIVIDUAL OTs

SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist
4gRPD4O.jpg

| JC STAFF | Light Novel |

Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade
sVpKet4.jpg

| TRIGGER | Sequel | PV1 |

Gatchaman Crowds Insight
lBoT02f.jpg

| Taksunoko Productions | Sequel |

Working!!!
hXVYan7.jpg

| A-1 Pictures | Sequel | CM1 |

Non Non Biyori Repeat
K3ArImX.jpg

| Silver Link | Sequel | PV1 | PV2 | PV3 |

GATE
vyTpuDT.jpg

| A-1 Pictures | Light Novel | PV1 |

Charlotte
s7w7W0x.jpg

| P.A. Works | Original | PV1 | PV2 | PV3 |

Shokugeki no Souma
ePAMP1c.jpg

| J.C.Staff | Manga | PV1 | PV2 |

Dragon Ball Super
YnWHMIl.jpg

| Toei Animation | Sequel | CM1 |

God Eater
6OZn70i.jpg

| Ufotable | Game | PV1 |

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou
IOrfpgQ.jpg

| Lerche | Manga | PV1 |

Prison School
AJ1PWey.jpg

| J.C.Staff | Manga | PV1 | PV2 |

GANGSTA.
VdReV0w.jpg

| Manglobe | Manga | PV1 | PV2 |

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz!
1C0DWQW.jpg

| Silver Link | Sequel | PV1 | PV2 |

TUSR

Banned
Summer Anime 2015 |OT| Sharing☆Mana Wall of Shame
ANIME RECOMMENDATIONS - (Thanks to Jexhius)
Considering that I did a whole lot of talking about preserving valuable discussions about anime on this forum I thought that I better go out of my way to actually do something about it. To that end, I've updated my "List of Anime Recommendation Threads" from being kind of a sarcastic info dump into a useful tool for newcomers. Here is the revised list:

NeoGAF Top Anime Voting Threads

Threads which highlight anime from a particular time period or genre

Requests for anime from a particular time period

Recommendations for people new to anime / getting back into anime

Recommendations for anime films

Mecha Anime

Recommendations for Sports Anime

Recommendations for Streaming Anime

Dubbed Anime

Recommendations for Fighting/Action Anime

Very specific anime recommendation requests

Recommendations for ‘The Best’ Anime

Generic Recommendation Threads

You know how sometimes a story can be generic, but you still like it for the characters?

I say this, because I finished watching Tokyo Ravens. It's a show that I think most people watched because of, well...

tumblr_mvgbieCmy41sq9yswo1_500.gif

Yeah.

And it's a good show. It's never amazing, or even great really, but I liked it. The stuff that normally would have drove me insane in other shows was actually handled reasonably well.

In regards to a post from the previous thread...

I don't know what deceive you. It's so clearly not a LN.

Maybe it was the part where the MC is trapped in a MMO.
Maybe the part where it's all full of descriptions of spells and abilities of the MMO.
Maybe it was the MC being super powerful, something totally not seen in a LN before. Maybe the repetitive nature of the story where common people are amazed of their godlike powers.
Maybe it was the bland fantasy setting without any distinguishing feature.
Maybe it's the almost null character growth.

Totally not a LN.

Oh the story of Overlord has the definite tropes of a light novel.

But I'm not bothered by that. At all.

There seems to be a belief that if something can be easily identified as a trope, then it must be bad.

I can't disagree with that more. Of course we like it when tropes are subverted, but tropes that are handled well and delivered well can still make for entertaining material.

Mailbox

More people might get banned then :p

give it 3 months, and then we will see many on the block awaiting the banhammer

This is good news?
giphy.gif

Is it?

for animegaf? No.

For anime watchers? maybe. It's probably the censored version (though, for the first season, there isn't much of a difference in censored and uncensored)

I actually watched the second season recently. Wasn't terrible.

Mandelbo

I'd like to make a timely proposition - there were far too many casualties in the last thread, so let's try to make it through to the end of the summer season with as few bannings as possible. If anyone new to the thread sees this post, there are a few things you should bear in mind.

1. Use your common sense before posting. If you think something might be too risque to post, it probably is.
2. Avoid speaking about lolicon or similar content in a sexual sense.
3. Avoid promoting incestuous content. If you think you'll have to follow up your post with an explanation along the lines of "but it's ok because they're not blood-related", don't post it at all.

Common sense is the most important thing to remember. If you think before you post, you should be fine!

Ascheroth

Hey, it's a new thread!

In regards to a post from the previous thread...

Oh the story of Overlord has the definite tropes of a light novel.

But I'm not bothered by that. At all.

There seems to be a belief that if something can be easily identified as a trope, then it must be bad.

I can't disagree with that more. Of course we like it when tropes are subverted, but tropes that handled well and delivered well can still make for entertaining material.

Overlord is clearly not an LN. That should be obvious from the title alone. It's 'Overlord', not 'I can't believe my bones are this shiny' or 'Is it wrong to try and conquer the world as a skeleton in a different world?'

Jokes aside, I agree with Hellwarden.
Playing tropes straight does not automatically equate to being bad.

Mailbox

Well, I'll be damned. This was highly entertaining and really well done.

Just a lil fyi, this adaptation is very very different from Billy Shakes' original work.
There are scenes from the play interwoven, but its smart with many creating new and interesting metaphors and meanings.

Most of the characters are practically opposites.

The ending felt a lil weird to me. Not because it was bad or incomplete (it was neither), but because in a show so full of metaphors, subtle meanings, and the such I could not find the central meaning in the ending. Its a climax devoid of a moral (which, you know, is a lil weird for this story).

The stuff with
Escalus
felt a lil weird. I honestly think that if this was just a revolution tragedy without
supernatural trees and shiz
it might have been better.

Though, when all is said and done, this was above my expectations and I think many many people on gaf would enjoy this.

I think it will be some time before i watch Gankutsuou, but I already assume i will like it all the same.

phaze

Dennou Coil 23

Have to say, I've been enjoying this show a lot more since the story started moving forward. The small downside is the amount of stuff they're throwing at me. Between Dennou Coil, Donnou Node, Nulls, Imago, Michiko Encodes, Encode reactors and various kinds of obsolete space, it's getting hard to keep track of it all.

Sölf

I'd like to make a timely proposition - there were far too many casualties in the last thread, so let's try to make it through to the end of the summer season with as few bannings as possible. If anyone new to the thread sees this post, there are a few things you should bear in mind.

1. Use your common sense before posting. If you think something might be too risque to post, it probably is.
2. Avoid speaking about lolicon or similar content in a sexual sense.
3. Avoid promoting incestuous content. If you think you'll have to follow up your post with an explanation along the lines of "but it's ok because they're not blood-related", don't post it at all.

Common sense is the most important thing to remember. If you think before you post, you should be fine!

That might be safer, but that wouldn't be as much fun! #LivingOnTheEdge

Mailbox

Did you watch the dub?

I only watched the first season subbed.

As i said in the previous thread, with the exception of 3 episodes (the witch fight and the 2 last episodes) it was basically the same episode on repeat it was so formulaic.

It may not have been as bad as, but it definitely reminded me of Endless 8.

And now I'm starting to shake in fear...

Cornbread78

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that and it crazy stuff..

Still though... lol

thanks for putting up the thread TUSR

Of course they do this after the season has started. I don't know if watch it yet, I mean, TLR was entertaining, however, is there anything redeeming about TLR:D outside of t&a and sexual agnst?

#13257 Alright, newest "Let's Watch" is up... Sunday Without God

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...#post177045083

Mailbox

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that and it crazy stuff..

Still though... lol

thanks for putting up the thread TUSR

Of course they do this after the season has started. I don't know if watch it yet, I mean, TLR was entertaining, however, is there anything redeeming about TLR:D outside of t&a and sexual agnst?

I haven't watched Darkness (yet), but Motto is a lot better than the first season. The gags are still stupid, but they cut the fat and aren't as stupid. And the artwork is just soooo much better than season 1.

javac

All my Reviews from the previous thread:
-----
Nekojiru-sou (Cat Soup): Review (2001, OVA, 1 Episode) Link to full review.
Summary:Cat Soup is a 2001 multi award-winning OVA by J.C.Staff and is directed by Tatsuo Sato and with a run-time of 34 minutes it’s pretty much one of the most psychedelic, strange and hallucinatory things that I’ve seen in the medium and I thoroughly enjoyed its company. Cat Soup revolves around a family of cats, in particular the main character, a kitten named Nyatta and his older sister, Nyako. The film starts off with Nyako passing away, and as her soul is being taken, her brother manages to retrieve half of it and returns it to her and she is resurrected, although brain-dead. The rest of the short as far as I’m aware is all about Nyatta going on a quest to retrieve the other half and bring his sister back to the way she was. What follows can only be explained as dreamlike in every sense of the word. Each scene is strung together by a sequence of bizarre events married with camera angles that distort the scenery and brings everything to life. The whole OVA reminded me a lot of one that I previously reviewed, Neo Tokyo or the Labyrinth labyrinthos short in particular. Both are dreamlike, surreal and engrossing as you fight to absorb it all in order to fully understand the meaning behind everything. But like many of the best works out there, maybe the truth is that there is no one true meaning behind the events that occur and they take place simply because they look interesting? Even so I truly do believe that even if that was the case, something has to be going on within the minds of the creators when conjuring up such vivid imagery.

In the end, Cat Soup is bizarre, strange and interesting to watch. The director himself has often stated that a lot of what transpires in Cat Soup is just purely random with no meaning whatsoever, but what I love about these types of works is how open they are to interpretation. Everyone has something to say about Cat Soup and a lot of theories can be conjured up for this film. In any case I implore you to come up with your own interpretation of this peculiar and very strange OVA of a cute cat venturing out into a bizarre world in order to retrieve the soul of his sister. Adorned in great, stylish and eye-catching visuals and at 34 minutes you’ll see some of the most vivid and interesting imagery in the medium, with many of it looking as if it arrived from a different part of the world all together. Some people see films and shows that are vague as pointless but I think that the joy comes from the journey that the viewer has and the meanings that you gather from your viewing is far from pointless.
8/10
-----
Treasure Island (Takarajima): Review (1978, TV, 26 Episodes) Link to full review.
Summary: Treasure Island (Takarajima) is a 1978 anime series directed by the late Osamu Dezaki, the man who directed animated classics such as The Rose of Versailles, Ace o Nerae!, Oniisama e and Ashita no Joe (Tomorrow’s Joe) among many others and Treasure Island is yet another animated classic that is a part of his legendary resume and is an adaptation of the Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson novel of the same name. Spanning a total of 26 episodes it tells the story of Jim Hawkins, a happy go lucky 13 year old boy who lives in England with his widowed mother. They run an Inn together, but ever since his farther died both he and his Mom have struggled running the Inn day in and day out and customers have all but disappeared. The series starts off with them getting a customer on a dark and stormy night. A big man, he is rough and scarred in appearance, a drunkard who requests nothing but rum for both breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eventually his odd behavior piques young Jim Hawkins interest, and as he becomes more and more aggressive as the days go by, the boy becomes more and more suspicious of the man. Maybe he’s a real pirate? As the series goes on both Jim and his Mother become more involved in his business as the man who we now learn goes by the name Billy Bones requests of young Jim to let him know if he ever spots a one legged man that he fears. On paper Takarajima comes across as a typical affair, a show about pirates, sea shanties and both treasure and violence but truth be told it’s all wrapped up in a beautiful aesthetic that makes it ever so hard not to keep your eyes on. The 1970’s series shines as brightly today as it did back when it first aired, adorned with striking animation, fantastic, charming character designs and a beautiful soundtrack.

In the end, Takarajima has ended up as one of my favorite series, one with beautiful animation, charming and likeable characters and a great soundtrack that all works together to form a concoction of fun, adventure and excitement. Fifteen men on the dead man's chest...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum! Drink and the devil had done for the rest...Yo-ho-ho, javac gives this a
9/10
-----
Metropolis: Review (2001, Film) Link to full review.
Summary: Metropolis is a 2001 animated film directed by Rintaro (Ginga Tetsudou 999 Movie) with a script by Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira) and animated by Madhouse. Metropolis is an adaption of the Osamu Tezuka manga of the same name which is loosely based off of the 1927 film. How loosely? Well the manga itself was just based off of a single still image that Tezuka saw of the film, so pretty darn loosely as a matter of fact. The animated adaptation of the manga that I’m discussing here has many differences and liberties taken and is for all intents and purposes also a loose adaptation of the Tezuka manga. In fact I’d go as far as to say that this film takes more from the 1927 film than the Tezuka manga, if not equally as much.

In the end, The definition of Metropolis is a large city that is a center of substantial political, cultural and economic value and home to commerce and communications. In that sense Metropolis is a place where the hustle and bustle of the city is alive and well, and amidst that commotion, lives are lived. People work day in and day out in order to survive, and although the skies are pierced by the monoliths we create, the shadows fall upon the people who live down below, their views of the sky obstructed by the people above. Power struggles and class warfare are common place, but every once in a while tranquility can be found amongst the chaos, and sometimes that spark can be found in the most unlikely of places, in the heart.
9/10
-----
Kaiba: Review (2008, TV, 12 Episodes) Link to full review.
Summary: Kaiba, a 2008 animated series directed by Masaaki Yuasa, the man behind series such as Ping Pong and The Tatami Galaxy among many other striking series and films and like the aforementioned series, Kaiba is a short series capping off at 12 episodes. Prior to Kaiba I had not seen any of Yuasa’s other series but it goes without saying that I was nevertheless very aware of his talents and merits. Being a show that centers on the theme of memories, Kaiba can without a doubt come across as strange at times, dreamlike in its structure, it flows like a lucid dream. Nothing is what it seems as the main character jumps from body to body, from place to place.

In the end, I can say without a doubt that I enjoyed many aspects of this series, however the theatrics and the mishmash of scenes and emotions ended up being too much for me. Before picking up Kaiba I desperately wanted it to be the next big thing which is why it might have ultimately fallen short with such big shoes to fill. A few of the episodes are outstanding, hitting me just where it needed to while other episodes are littered with great ideas here and there but ultimately those seeds fail to bloom into anything other than promise. And thus Kaiba was a disappointment for me. Many moments took me out of my otherwise meditative state that the show had me in. In the end I still enjoyed Kaiba, but not as much as I expected to, but maybe one day my memories of this show will become fonder.
7/10
-----
Previous reviews V1.11: Everything was (Not) 10/10: Link
  • RahXephon (Review) – 10/10
  • Boogiepop Phantom (Review) – 10/10
  • Tenshi no Tamago (Angel’s Egg) – Review - 10/10
  • Perfect Blue (1997): Review – 10/10
  • Memories (1995 Film) – Review – 10/10
  • Neo Tokyo (Meikyū Monogatari/Manie-Manie): Review - 9/10
  • Flag (2006 ONA) – Review - 8/10
Previous reviews V2.22: I Can (Not) Review: Link
  • Macross: Do You Remember Love? Review (1984 Movie) – 10/10
  • The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012 – Review – 9/10
  • City Hunter : Review (TV Series, 51 Episodes, 1987) - 10/10
  • Gunsmith Cats: Review (1995, OVA) – 10/10
Previous reviews V3.33: It will (Not) Come Out: Link
  • Romeo no Aoi Sora (Romeo's Blue Skies): Review (TV Series, 33 Episodes, 1995) – 9.5/10
  • Genmu Senki Leda: Review (1985, OVA, 1 Episode) – 8/10
  • Twilight Q: Review (1987, OVA) – 7/10
-----
Plan to Watch/Finish During this Thread (The broken Promises):
  • City Hunter 2
  • Giant Gorg
  • Votoms
  • Ashita no Joe
  • Area 88

Dennou Coil 23

Have to say, I've been enjoying this show a lot more since the story started moving forward. The small downside is the amount of stuff they're throwing at me. Between Dennou Coil, Donnou Node, Nulls, Imago, Michiko Encodes, Encode reactors and various kinds of obsolete space, it's getting hard to keep track of it all.

Haha yeh they bombard you with a lot of terms. Think that could've been condensed some to make just a tad less confusing.

Baalzebup

Well, I've been away for far too long, though I've done a little lurking on the side. Curse the triumvirate of an extremely exhausting period at work, moving to a new crib and being totally hooked to World of Warships.

I haven't even started watching Ilya again ;_;
Basically I'm just watching Overlord and Gate. Started plenty of others at the seasons beginning, but they are on hold for now.

All the same.. Hail the new OT!.

Thoraxes

This bear knows whats up.
By the way, whatever happened to the remaining Euphonium impressions?

Super-busy season at work happened, so I worked a lot of overtime (but I got a lot of money!). Usually these summer months are pretty bad. I took this Friday off since Monday is a holiday, so with my 4-day weekend I should hopefully be able to crack out some more impressions finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom