• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend a mech anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen pretty much all g gundam and up except Wing (characters just seem...meh). Code Geass. Nadesico (loved that one!). Gurren Lagann. Basquash (should count). Macross Frontier and the first macross film (haven't watched show yet). Evangelion and films.

Currently watching Eureka 7.

Real vs super doesn't matter to me. Only pref I have is that main character must mature to a badass SOMETIME during the show.

Bebpo

Banned
Top Tier Classics
Giant Robo - best mecha anime
Escaflowne - awesome

Good
The Big O - episodic, but good
Gaogaigar - Super long and very repetitive and boring for about 25 eps, but then super awesome after that
Gundam movie trilogy - still awesome, best gundam

CiSTM

Banned
Armored Trooper VOTOMS and Patlabor 2: The Movie are so far only mech animes I have liked (I guess I'm more into riiaru robotto genre). I really need to see Macross.

Branduil

Escaflowne.

Also if you're going to watch stuff like Macross Frontier you might as well watch the best Macross, Macross Plus(the OVA, not the movie).

I must be tired. I read the title as meth academy. I was like I'm pretty sure they don't teach that in school.

Well maybe the school Walter White teaches at.

54-46!

LG6Xl.jpg

Gunbuster!

Jex

Mecha_Infantry said:
Patlabor 2
I...don't know. The OP appears to be looking for mecha shows with "bad ass" main characters. Patlabor 2 is barely about robots at all, it's more of a political thriller where someone happens to get in a robot at some point.

Giant Robo for sure. One of the best anime titles ever made. A fantastical story with great depth in it's story telling.

Other stuff I'd recomend:

Macross-The original show is cheesey ,but very fun.

Macross Plus-More cynical then the original, but still very good.

Armored Trooper Votoms-Kind of a more western mech show then others. No teenagers or anything.

Gunbuster.

Escaflowne.

And of course Rahxephon.

Votoms has one of the best ass kicking main characters of all time.

One of my Favorites.

Plus it is still ongoing with OVAs and movies.

CiSTM said:
Are the other Patlabor films and/or shows any good, or even similar with Patlabor 2 ?

There are 3 films, OVA and series, but I think 2 is the best. Also has the BEST mecha animation I've ever seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdo6T_bpYKo Similar? Well I absolutely adore my late 80's/early - mid 90's anime where is looked less clean than it does now. So I can't reccomend much new stuff, but Battle Tank Police might be another good option

Watch that and see how his feet and forearms move..fucking bliss

Nice thread anyway, I do love my mecha, hence my name

jaxword

REDLINE

However, it's more racing machines than fighting mechs, but the emphasis on huge explosions and machinery fighting is there.

Also, there's brief boobs in the film, so don't watch it with your parents/little sister/priest in the room.

Dead Man

Mecha_Infantry said:
There are 3 films, OVA and series, but I think 2 is the best. Also has the BEST mecha animation I've ever seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdo6T_bpYKo Similar? Well I absolutely adore my late 80's/early - mid 90's anime where is looked less clean than it does now. So I can't reccomend much new stuff, but Battle Tank Police might be another good option

Watch that and see how his feet and forearms move..fucking bliss

Nice thread anyway, I do love my mecha, hence my name
That is one terrible voice over on that trailer. Wow.

Dead Man

Branduil said:
Yeah, that voiceover is hilariously bad. Especially the part where he talks about how popular the film should be.
Cracked me up. lol Also that it started with pointing out that Patlabor 2 is a sequel to Patlabor.

SoilBreak

Banned
Shin Mazinger
Mazinkaiser
Giant Robo
Ryu Knight
Dai-Guard
Escaflowne
New Getter Robo
Gaogaiger
Godannar
Gaiking: Legend of Daiku-Maryu
Yasuhiro Imagawa's Tetsujin 28-go

A huge YES to Votoms. The Big O is a fun one as well. Gaffers have already mentioned Gunbuster, Escaflowne, the original Macross, Giant Robo, etc. Definitely watch OG Gundam, 08th MS Team, and War in the Pocket.

Actually, you might enjoy Zoids as well.

hteng

Banned
54-46! said:
LG6Xl.jpg

Gunbuster!

and Diebuster/Gunbuster 2

Original Dancougar and Dancougar Nova
Original Jeeg and Shin Jeeg

Are the other Patlabor films and/or shows any good, or even similar with Patlabor 2 ?

there are only 3 Patlabor films, the third film is not really about SV2 though but more of a detective story in the Patlabor universe.

my fav is still the first film, good mesh of genres, you have mechs, detective story, suspense, action, comedy, philosophy..etc

LordCanti

Watch Gunbuster (OVA's, not the movie...if it has a movie, I forget). Then watch Diebuster OVA's.

In that order. Don't watch the movie versions, because they are inferior.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Zeta Gundam. Watch the original Gundam first obviously (at least the end, or you won't know WTF) but Zeta is excellent as well.

Momo

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Are Rideback
Positive : Mell's opening theme is hilariously enrish as always. Negative : I watched about 5 eps then grew extremely bored.

However I did always have the feeling it would get better later with the foundations they laid in the first few eps, I just never gave it a chance.

Jex

Rahxephon91 said:
Are Rideback and Kotetsushin Jeeg good? They caught my eye on that recommendation image as I have not seen them.
Rideback isn't very good, sadly.

Aselith

I'm kind of interested in watching Gundam Wing. What order would you want to watch the series in? Can someone point me to some boxsets and what order is preferable? Also would like to know the same for Robotech.

Aselith said:
I'm kind of interested in watching Gundam Wing. What order would you want to watch the series in? Can someone point me to some boxsets and what order is preferable? Also would like to know the same for Robotech.
Gundam Wing is considered an alternate universe so it can be watched any time outside of the UC continuity (First Gundam, 08th MS Team, 0080 War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memories, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, F91, V). Gundam Wing is alright, but it's fun in a cheesy way. There should be an anime legends box set for a lot of these series. If that's not an option, you can watch the entire Gundam Wing TV series and OVA on crunchyroll.com (not dubbed though).

As for Robotech, it's technically a compilation of three different anime series localized stateside. The main Robotech series arcs run in this order (by japanese titles)

- Macross (the most famous)
- Southern Cross (blergh)
- Mospeada (Motorcycle mecha!)

Personally, I think you can skip Southern Cross since it's the weakest of the bunch.

EDIT: Damn, I remember going home from school and getting mad hyped whenever I switched over to Fox and the Robotech intro switched on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djhsu7WmAz4

Suairyu

Banned
Broken Blade.

Concept similar to Escaflowne in that it's a low tech world with mech, explained (quite convincingly) by magic. Episodes are an hour long so avoid many animé tropes associated with having to climax the story every 22 minutes. Doesn't avoid other animé tropes like insulting female proportions, stock "I hate everything I'll kill everyone!" characterizations poorly explained character motivations.

And it's awesome. Great animation and action. Switch your brain off and enjoy.

Suairyu said:
Broken Blade.

Concept similar to Escaflowne in that it's a low tech world with mech, explained (quite convincingly) by magic. Episodes are an hour long so avoid many animé tropes associated with having to climax the story every 22 minutes. Doesn't avoid other animé tropes like insulting female proportions, stock "I hate everything I'll kill everyone!" characterizations poorly explained character motivations.

And it's awesome. Great animation and action. Switch your brain off and enjoy.

haha forgot about that. Great stuff. Probably some of the most detailed mech in motion around.

Be wary that Kira Yamato VA is the main character. Can't take his voice seriously after Sora no Otoshimono =P

The only problem I had with Broken Blade was the main character wasn't interesting. The main bad guy with the scorpion mech is pretty cool. I also liked Girghe, the crazy guy on the good guys side that is basically better than everyone else. He straight kicks everyone's ass.

Jex

[Broken Blade]
chickdigger802 said:
haha forgot about that. Great stuff. Probably some of the most detailed mech in motion around.
Well, not really, but they're doing better than some!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom