• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend a mech anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxy

big mecha fan here, let me recommend a few

Blue Gender
This show has a great survival horror atmosphere to it. Earth has been taken over by giant insect like aliens and humans are driven to near extinction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWAG8_ynfxo

Godannar
Married...with mecha. I really enjoyed this because it starts at or after where most mecha shows end, with the hero getting married. While other shows evolve into manly awesomeness this starts with the manliness at max and comes up with interesting ways of actually challenging a manly man at maximum manliness

Daiguard
A really fun show that takes a semi-realistic look at the realities of piloting a giant robot, filling out insurance forms for the cars you stepped on and stuff.

Gravion
It's a fairly standard super robot show with the major difference being that the main character of the story is not the main pilot of the mech, he's just one of the legs.

Gun X Sword
Just a really great story, dont let the first few eps put you off, it unfolds really well later on

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Rahxephon_by_Mr_Chalky.jpg

RahXephon.

LProtag

Do you mean all Gundam from G and on?

Anyway, UC Gundam. You can watch the movies or the show for the original series, but I suggest the series for Zeta.

Also make sure to watch 08th MS Team, it's a nice OVA about the more 'grunt' types (though they are more like special forces as they do have semi mass-produced Gundams).

Original Macross was already mentioned and you saw the movie version and some other Macross so I assume you'll probably get to it eventually.

Really though out of all the suggestions here you need to see Gunbuster and then Diebuster if you liked it. So many genre conventions have come from Gunbuster and almost every super robot show has some sort of allusion to it (Gurren Lagann owes a lot to it, though it was done by the same company).

Honestly my big recommendation would have been Eureka 7, but you're already watching that, so good on you. Probably one of my favorites.

LogicStep

Linebarrels of Iron or Kurogane no Linebarrel, I watched the dub on Netflix and it was good.

I liked it, has comedy, good action, the main character gets pretty op by the end. Ending is a little cheesy but I liked it.

Pollux

chickdigger802 said:
I've seen pretty much all g gundam and up except Wing (characters just seem...meh). Code Geass. Nadesico (loved that one!). Gurren Lagann. Basquash (should count). Macross Frontier and the first macross film (haven't watched show yet). Evangelion and films.

Currently watching Eureka 7.

Real vs super doesn't matter to me. Only pref I have is that main character must mature to a badass SOMETIME during the show.

I may be the minority but I really enjoyed Wing. Check out Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. 08th MS Team was pretty fun.

Ruuppa

RahXephon - Drama and godvoice shenanigans. Also robots made of clay-stuff.
GaoGaiGar - Meh. Whuh? Whoa. DO IT WITH COURAGE!
Vandread - Slapstick funnies.
Full Metal Panic - Delicious realityrobots. Except that huge one. What the hell? Main character is a badass.

InsertNameHere said:
Do you mean all Gundam from G and on?

Anyway, UC Gundam. You can watch the movies or the show for the original series, but I suggest the series for Zeta.

Also make sure to watch 08th MS Team, it's a nice OVA about the more 'grunt' types (though they are more like special forces as they do have semi mass-produced Gundams).

Original Macross was already mentioned and you saw the movie version and some other Macross so I assume you'll probably get to it eventually.

Really though out of all the suggestions here you need to see Gunbuster and then Diebuster if you liked it. So many genre conventions have come from Gunbuster and almost every super robot show has some sort of allusion to it (Gurren Lagann owes a lot to it, though it was done by the same company).

Honestly my big recommendation would have been Eureka 7, but you're already watching that, so good on you. Probably one of my favorites.

haha. Eureka 7 seems to have a weird pace (eps 10 or so), but it seems stuff might get interesting with all the mind fuck stuff going on. still... surfing robots. hmmm

Aselith

donkey show said:
Gundam Wing is considered an alternate universe so it can be watched any time outside of the UC continuity (First Gundam, 08th MS Team, 0080 War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memories, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, F91, V). Gundam Wing is alright, but it's fun in a cheesy way. There should be an anime legends box set for a lot of these series. If that's not an option, you can watch the entire Gundam Wing TV series and OVA on crunchyroll.com (not dubbed though).

As for Robotech, it's technically a compilation of three different anime series localized stateside. The main Robotech series arcs run in this order (by japanese titles)

- Macross (the most famous)
- Southern Cross (blergh)
- Mospeada (Motorcycle mecha!)

Personally, I think you can skip Southern Cross since it's the weakest of the bunch.

EDIT: Damn, I remember going home from school and getting mad hyped whenever I switched over to Fox and the Robotech intro switched on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djhsu7WmAz4

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B5IOY8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So this would cover the whole of Robotech, correct?

Edit: And this would cover all of Gundam? Or that's just Wing?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CEV3NM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQ5UY6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Utako

Banned
Just watched Diebuster as a result of this thread.

I thought it was so corny, that perhaps I had downloaded some gaiden series (like latter-day Macross), but it evolved into something genuinely neat and the ending was really amazing. Definitely watch the Gunbuster OVA before this, though!

donkey show said:
As for Robotech, it's technically a compilation of three different anime series localized stateside. The main Robotech series arcs run in this order (by japanese titles)

- Macross (the most famous)
- Southern Cross (blergh)
- Mospeada (Motorcycle mecha!)

Personally, I think you can skip Southern Cross since it's the weakest of the bunch.

EDIT: Damn, I remember going home from school and getting mad hyped whenever I switched over to Fox and the Robotech intro switched on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djhsu7WmAz4
Having only ever watched the original Macross, that intro was incredibly weird.

I know you have already seen Code Geass but what I really liked about that series was how the mechs progressed along with the show.

At the start the mechs couldnt fly, were pretty average and rolled around on wheels.

By the end they were all flying, had shields, super weapons etc....

LProtag

chickdigger802 said:
haha. Eureka 7 seems to have a weird pace (eps 10 or so), but it seems stuff might get interesting with all the mind fuck stuff going on. still... surfing robots. hmmm

The pacing is a little odd, but just remember that the story is more focused on character interactions than the plot. There's not too much mindfuckery that goes on really though the plot does get weird and plays kinda fast and loose with throwing things out there. I'd say look at it like a romance as well as a bildungsroman and you'll be fine.

Gundam, though I recommend watching the movies and OVAs, not really the entire series (at least not Gundam ZZ). Zeta Gundam is pretty near the top of my favorite animes, thanks to the reappearance of Char.

Maze the Megaburst Space
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure
The Big O
Zone of the Enders: Dolores
Betterman

Well, I liked Betterman anyway. It's the only horror, giant robot anime I'm aware of.

hteng

Banned
Five Star Stories OVA as a one shot type of movie, if you are interested in the universe you'll need to read the mangas.. though they aren't exactly easy to come by.

absolutely amazing designs, these were done almost 15 years ago and they are still the best mecha designs that has ever graced the genre.

index.jpg

kog-movie-01.gif

quote from gearsonline.
The Five Star Stories is a sweeping science-fiction/fantasy manga that began in the pages of Newtype Magazine in April 1986 and has grown to become a phenomenon with many popular model kits and art books available. Created by Nagano Mamoru, the stories tell of the events that unfold in a time of almost constant warfare among the decaying nations of the Joker Star Cluster. The events portrayed span thousands of years and many epic battles. The cast of characters is so large it can become confusing to new readers but tying all these adventures together is the tale of Amaterasu, the god of light, slowly awakening to his true nature and purpose and his beloved companion Lachesis.

The Five Star Stories encompases an interesting setting that manages to incorporate a large range of elements from both science-fiction and fantasy without sacrificing consistency. On the sci-fi side of the fence we find genetic engineering, cloning, giant robots, space travel, inscrutable aliens and high-tech warfare while the fantasy side brings us knights, dragons, kings, gods, sorcery and sword-play. A melancholy air runs through all these tales as both kings and soldiers reflect on destiny, duty and the consequences of war.

Boogiepop

Giant Robo is fantastic, so +1 for that.
Also as an aside, I've been considering giving G-Gundam a try, as the whole space-opera-y feel of what little other Gundam I've seen turned me off a little, and what little I've seen of this implies that they rip that out and replace it with a mix of insanity and mild racism. Is that at all accurate, or am I completely off the mark?

haha macross stuff always give me a mixed feeling.

The whole city size battleship that can turn into a robot,variable fighter thing and missile ballets is fucking rad, but 'the power of song' nonsense always turns me off.

Also, is Space battleship yamato any good/holds up? Saw the recent movie and liked it's simplicity.

Dead Man

chickdigger802 said:

The whole city size battleship that can turn into a robot,variable fighter thing and missile ballets is fucking rad, but 'the power of song' nonsense always turns me off.

Also, is Space battleship yamato any good/holds up? Saw the recent movie and liked it's simplicity.
God, so much. I love Macros and Plus, but after that it just got too musical for me.

realized they rebooted Dancouga in 2007. Is that any good? The character people look a bit Evangelion. But girl lead in a mech anime? Can't be too bad.

Jex

TheVampire said:
I know you have already seen Code Geass but what I really liked about that series was how the mechs progressed along with the show.

At the start the mechs couldnt fly, were pretty average and rolled around on wheels.

By the end they were all flying, had shields, super weapons etc...
So you mean they got worse as the show progressed? Because I agree.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
chickdigger802 said:

Hell naw, that's the best part about macross, how can you not get pumped when minmay sings her title song in DYRL?

That said the "power of song" crap gets really overdone in all macross shows after plus.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Megalodactyl said:
This thread, I love, I'll check out Gaogaigar
You have chosen well.
If you get bored at the first arc, don't feel guilty skipping forward or skipping through eps.

Shouta

Rahxephon91 said:
Are Rideback and Kotetsushin Jeeg good? They caught my eye on that recommendation image as I have not seen them.

Rideback isn't very mech. Also the manga is 10x better than the anime for it.

this thread is getting awesome.

So currently I'm gonna continue with Eureka 7 (It does have some nice beats).

Then gonna check out:

- Escaflowne
- Votoms
- gundam wing

Gonna depend on if I can find them in my school's anime club dvd collection or their ftp or on some stream site.

Valygar

Some people would say it's not exactly a mech anime, but with 28 awesome episodes you can't go wrong with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Also, I think it fits your requirements, and it's my favourite anime of these last years.

gurren_lagann.jpg

I also liked Full Metal Panic, but it's not that good.

iavi

Coxy said:
Blue Gender
This show has a great survival horror atmosphere to it. Earth has been taken over by giant insect like aliens and humans are driven to near extinction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWAG8_ynfxo

So horrible it's godly--Consists of mass orgies, smang and runs, hilariously awkward dialogue, and big robots with guns. You just can't ask for anymore than that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why the fuck would Gurren Lagann not be considered mech anime? It's more mech anime than crap like Evangelion and Code Geass for sure.

hteng

Banned
Mank said:
Giant Robo is fantastic, so +1 for that.
Also as an aside, I've been considering giving G-Gundam a try, as the whole space-opera-y feel of what little other Gundam I've seen turned me off a little, and what little I've seen of this implies that they rip that out and replace it with a mix of insanity and mild racism. Is that at all accurate, or am I completely off the mark?

if you haven't known already, the director/writer of Giant robo is the same as G Gundam's.

The series is very episodic, but there's an overaching story, tears will be shed once you finished the series, i can guarantee that.

realized they rebooted Dancouga in 2007. Is that any good? The character people look a bit Evangelion. But girl lead in a mech anime? Can't be too bad.

it sucks, but i guess some parts were good. very similar to Gravion, the upgrades get pretty ridiculous later on.

Valygar

Regulus Tera said:
Why the fuck would Gurren Lagann not be considered mech anime? It's more mech anime than crap like Evangelion and Code Geass for sure.

I haven't seen any of the other anime recommended so i don't know, and it was weird for me to see Gurren Lagann not mentioned. Now I see it was in the OP, I was looking for "Tengen Toppa" and I didn't see it :( .

Shouta said:
Rideback isn't very mech. Also the manga is 10x better than the anime for it.
Really? Too bad it hasn't been (fully) translated. :\ Hey, wait a minute... didn't your group translate the first chapter then stop? >:|

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
godhandiscen said:
STOP THE FUCKING TRAIN!

There is more GaoGaiCar?
GGG Final OVAs

Haven't watched FINAL? Then you haven't seen shit about GAOGAIGAR SON.
I'm not even going to post any media related to it so I don't ruin a single thing. Basically you fangasm in FINAL and it gets crazier.

*How did you type Car? I am so disappointed in you.

Shouta

ninj4junpei said:
Really? Too bad it hasn't been (fully) translated. :\ Hey, wait a minute... didn't your group translate the first volume then stop? >:|

I was in the process of moving to Japan and I was expecting the manga to get licensed along with the anime.

Shouta said:
I was in the process of moving to Japan and I was expecting the manga to get licensed along with the anime.
Well, the anime didn't come out over here until this year. Perhaps there is hope for the manga to be licensed too. :\ Then again, considering the state of the US manga industry I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom