• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend a mech anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
icarus-daedelus said:
Damn that makes me really want to watch GaoGaiGar. I think I am going to drag my friend through it, should be a more fun experiment/pact than KEY at any rate.
It's a slow 'dumb' old Saturday morning kids robot show for a while, and while I enjoyed it that isn't for everyone. 1-20 is a lot of character introduction, monster of the week, and introduce new toy/gadget. Then it gets more serious and doesn't leave you room for breath as you get hype over transformations and courage.
Now I sound like one of those crazy TTGL people.

It's still a nice watch early on, especially if you have some with you. "Oh shit, ninja robots" etc.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Hazaro said:
GGG Final OVAs

Haven't watched FINAL? Then you haven't seen shit about GAOGAIGAR SON.
I'm not even going to post any media related to it so I don't ruin a single thing. Basically you fangasm in FINAL and it gets crazier.

*How did you type Car? I am so disappointed in you.
I watched this when I was 12 I think. I just remember the theme song at this point LOL. I should watch the whole thing again and then go for the new stuff.

Finaika

Pupi18 said:
Rahxephon_by_Mr_Chalky.jpg

RahXephon.
This. Evangelion done right.

Tokubetsu

Love RahXephon. One ep in particular made me cry like a bitch. Just outright bawling. Haven't sene it in a number of years. I should really rewatch it.

Finaika

Tokubetsu said:
Love RahXephon. One ep in particular made me cry like a bitch. Just outright bawling. Haven't sene it in a number of years. I should really rewatch it.
I know which episode was that hehe.

LProtag

I still think everyone in this thread who hasn't seen Gunbuster needs to. I mean, it's only 6 episodes. And it's a classic.

Realized I got some of gundam timeline mixed up.

Are gundam x and turn A any good?

I remember gundam x being a major badass in pretty much every srw game it's in.

Branduil

ninj4junpei said:
Does not compute. Evangelion is Evangelion done right. I really like RahXephon, by the way.
I assume these people mean "Evangelion really needed more emphasis on the harem."

Dresden said:
I was going to watch Armored Trooper Votoms, you should too.
Fucking first reply nails it. Character matures into a badass in 20 minutes. By staging a jail break that Rambo would be proud of.

Actually Chirico was incredibly badass to begin with. But you might not have noticed that

MisterNoisy

My faves (some of which I haven't seen mentioned):

Macross
Gundam: 08th MS Team and Stardust Memory - I sort of lost track after Z/ZZ and those two series.
Eureka 7
Big O
Patlabor

More Fun To Compute said:
Vandread is a definitely a good recommendation for people who love Nadesico and want more.
Vandread has more in common with Gravion and Godannar than it has with Nadesico.

The most similar anime to Nadesico would probably be The Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

Calcaneus

Just gonna repeat VOTOMS because it deserves it. Doesn't matter that its kinda old, it goes harder than most shows these days.

Lance Bone Path said:
Vandread has more in common with Gravion and Godannar than it has with Nadesico.

The most similar anime to Nadesico would probably be The Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

Not seen the other one but neither are much like Godannar. Tyler is in the same theme of a space opera that happens to have mechs but the main character doesn't pilot one in that.

Platy

Call me oldschool ... but ...

VX6qe.jpg
pjFOn.jpg

C8xMg.jpg

Magic Knights of Rayearth !

Its starts as a Shoujo RPG ... but then ... SPACE BATTLES WITH MECHAS !
Specialy in the second (last) season

The OVA is a bizarre retelling inverse ...so only watch if you want something more

Also, one of the first animes by the same people who made the mecha design in code geass =P

Not seen the other one but neither are much like Godannar. Tyler is in the same theme of a space opera that happens to have mechs but the main character doesn't pilot one in that.
Vandread and Godannar are pretty much about harems, coupling, and T&A above everything else.

Piloting a mech isn't as important a theme as the one of a ship full of wayward misfits that's more or less despised by its own command.

GETTA ROBO.

Why the hell has nobody mentioned the greatest robot ever made? Shin Getta Robo was classic, and HEATS is a manly blood boiling song.

The Getter team was slicing through planets and all kinds of ridiculousness years before Simon and his boys ever aimed for the heavens.

The Getters have fought all kinds of wackiness in one incarnation or another- robots, dinos, bugs, oni, space mutants, combinations of all of the prior on a pretty consistent basis...

The manga was some of the most batshit insane stuff I'd ever laid eyes on as a young impressionable kid. Easily trumps any of the TV shows or OVAs they've made over the years.

I was truly heartbroken the day I heard about Ken Ishikawa passing away. I doubt we'll ever see new Getta material again.

Also: Machine Robo- Revenge of Cronos.

Rom Stol is a robot Kenshiro traveling around blowing out robot pressure points with his bare hands, and yelling and posing against sunsets from random cliffs at opportune times before he administers painful death upon all who oppose him. He has a big badass robot, and when said badass robot isn't enough to wipe the floor with his pathetic opponents, that robot then combines with an even bigger robot to ensure the victory.

Masami Obari had to have worked on the early episodes as well- they're crazy animated with all kinds of wild angles and poses, everything's exploding, everyone's yelling and lots of crazy stuff just happens.

I love both intros too. Especially the second season's song- badass.

Grzi

Giant Robo
Gunbuster + Diebuster
Armored Trooper Votoms
Zeta Gundam
SDF Macross (with Do You Remember Love and Macross Plus)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Platy said:
Call me oldschool ... but ...
Magic Knights of Rayearth !

Its starts as a Shoujo RPG ... but then ... SPACE BATTLES WITH MECHAS !
Specialy in the second (last) season

The OVA is a bizarre retelling inverse ...so only watch if you want something more

Also, one of the first animes by the same people who made the mecha design in code geass =P
This is a classy suggestion.
Warm Machine said:
I remember when Japan made anime about mecha and high concept sci fi.
They still do, just not as much.

Narag

chickdigger802 said:
Realized I got some of gundam timeline mixed up.

Are gundam x and turn A any good?

I remember gundam x being a major badass in pretty much every srw game it's in.

Turn A is excellent but divisive last I checked anyhow. Some nonstandard mecha designs by Syd Meat, steampunk sensibilities, and memorable characters make it my favorite non UC Gundam though.

Lance Bone Path said:
Vandread and Godannar are pretty much about harems, coupling, and T&A above everything else.

Piloting a mech isn't as important a theme as the one of a ship full of wayward misfits that's more or less despised by its own command.

Vandread has lots of silly fan service but Nadesico had that in smaller doses. But it isn't a harem anime, just an anime with lots of women. Piloting a mech was a very important theme in Nadesico as were some other things it shares with Vandread but not Tyler.

Narag

Nemesis121 said:
I tried Giant Robo but i can't stand dubs so i gave up after 6mins....

Which dub did you try? There's an older one that's not as accurate but how this crazy larger than life sensibility. Also, weak french accents.

Momo

Banned
@OP If I was you I'd ignore most of the Gundam suggestions, it's an extremely polarizing series and the quality varies by huge margins from show to show.

I'd suggest picking up Gundam after watching some of the other series first.

RGM79

Armored Troopers Votoms is a great show. The main character starts off as an elite soldier who deserted the military, down on his luck and searching for the military officers that forced him on a special mission and then attempted to kill once once he witnessed too much. The show deals with transhumanism on a small level as the main character develops from a cold-feeling, silent but strong sort of loner into someone who experiences love, friendship and becomes much more than a mere human being, literally.

The show starts slowly and the main character initially comes off as a naive person, but the show picks up once they leave the initial setting of the city for the (Vietnam War-like) jungle story arc, where there is a lot more action because they were done with introducing the main character and his supporting friends. The action will appeal to you if you are interested in small, high mobility mecha. The majority of the action takes place on land on the various planets that make up the galactic setting of the series, but there are a few episodes that feature zero gravity combat.

Edit: Oh, and if you don't like Votoms' story, try Armor Hunter Merowlink. Same universe/setting, except it's about another guy seeking revenge on his commanders for having his war buddies killed in a suicide mission, defending against a large advancing enemy force. His squad has their regular equipment taken away and are issued obsolete anti-armor rifles instead.

Merowlink is the only member of his squad to survive, and is then framed for an unrelated scandal where his commanders stole a large amount of precious resources. The badass main character can no longer tolerate this bullshit, so he breaks out of confinement and hunts down his former superiors involved in the scandal by killing them all with the same anti-armor rifle he was forced to use in the suicide mission. He takes on enemy mecha on foot, often employing clever traps and tactics to make up for a any weaknesses. A cool thing about the story is that each episode features different terrain, and shows how the main character uses the terrain to his advantage. For example, the first episode is desert, others are jungle, forest, arena.. etc.

Jarmel

Banned
Raphxenon, Full Metal Panic, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I would go with Full Metal Panic first.

Since this is a recommendation thread, might as well ask. What would people recommend as a show similar to Eureka Seven? In regards to scope, character development, production values, and romance.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jarmel said:
Raphxenon, Full Metal Panic, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I would go with Full Metal Panic first.

Since this is a recommendation thread, might as well ask. What would people recommend as a show similar to Eureka Seven? In regards to scope, character development, production values, and romance.
I am not a dedicated fan of mecha, but maybe 08th MS Team?

Jarmel

Banned
Hazaro said:
I am not a dedicated fan of mecha, but maybe 08th MS Team?

Already seen it, actually I'll repost this in the anime thread as I've seen alot of mecha so my question is a bit more complex.

Anyway OP enjoy E7, one of my favorite anime.

V_Arnold

Code Geass.
Especially S2. But you kinda watch it all to understand.
Also, Gundam 8th Ms Team. It has an amazing atmoshpere.
RahXephon!

BearChair

I hate this thread in a certain small way. I have been getting back into anime over the last year mostly because of Netflix Instant Watch. I'm 25 and was into anime when I was in middle school and early high school and have mostly ignored it since then. Getting back into it has been kind of a shock. I miss shows like Patlabor, Evangelion, Dirty Pair, Cowboy Bebop, Gunsmith Cats and Macross Plus.

When I was deeper into my fandom, my favorite character was Captain Harlock and the other Leiji Matsumoto stories. I was really sad to find out that these have never really been brought out onto DVD in the US, and the only translation of the manga. remains the one from Viz that was never finished.

I have not been able to find a current mecha series to like. It seems like mecha and space opera anime have reached a nadir in popularity. I really like the more realistic mecha anime, but I never was able to see Votoms when I was younger and because of licensing issues, it looks like I maybe never will.

Of the contemporary anime that I've seen the only ones that I've liked are Highschool of the Dead for its campiness, Planetes for its fantastic writing, although I think the manga might be slightly better, and Gurren Lagann, which I only really got into in its second half when it got really serious and dark.

Vandread has lots of silly fan service but Nadesico had that in smaller doses. But it isn't a harem anime, just an anime with lots of women. Piloting a mech was a very important theme in Nadesico as were some other things it shares with Vandread but not Tyler.
Nadesico at least was self-aware of its fan service while Vandread is almost completely defined by it. The only significance of piloting a mech in Vandread is that the mechs combining is a metaphor for sex. In case this metaphor wasn't obvious enough, the combined mech squeezes the two pilots into a cockpit smaller than twice the size of a regular cockpit.

Naturally all the female pilots, each of which exists only to fill a specific mywaifu niche, want to be the one to combine their mech with the protagonist's mech because their mechs can only combine with his.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying that Vandread sucks, but to argue that this isn't a harem is beyond silly.

Yes, Nadesico does have a harem, but at least it is self-aware of its harem and doesn't treat it seriously like Vandread treats its own.

Dead Man

BearChair said:
I hate this thread in a certain small way. I have been getting back into anime over the last year mostly because of Netflix Instant Watch. I'm 25 and was into anime when I was in middle school and early high school and have mostly ignored it since then. Getting back into it has been kind of a shock. I miss shows like Patlabor, Evangelion, Dirty Pair, Cowboy Bebop, Gunsmith Cats and Macross Plus.

When I was deeper into my fandom, my favorite character was Captain Harlock and the other Leiji Matsumoto stories. I was really sad to find out that these have never really been brought out onto DVD in the US, and the only translation of the manga. remains the one from Viz that was never finished.

I have not been able to find a current mecha series to like. It seems like mecha and space opera anime have reached a nadir in popularity. I really like the more realistic mecha anime, but I never was able to see Votoms when I was younger and because of licensing issues, it looks like I maybe never will.

Of the contemporary anime that I've seen the only ones that I've liked are Highschool of the Dead for its campiness, Planetes for its fantastic writing, although I think the manga might be slightly better, and Gurren Lagann, which I only really got into in its second half when it got really serious and dark.
I can sympathise with that. I was only ever into Mech anime mainly, a few other things like GitS or stuff like that. I always enjoyed the realistic feelings ones too. Moders stuff just isn't doing it for me.

RGM79

BearChair said:

Have you heard of Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhDcgxiB8Wo

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Rahxephon was Evangelion but it swapped out the cast with people who had social skills.

Which makes it nothing like Evangelion.

And I enjoyed both, need to rewatch Rahxephon, been a long time.

Lance Bone Path said:
Nadesico at least was self-aware of its fan service while Vandread is almost completely defined by it. The only significance of piloting a mech in Vandread is that the mechs combining is a metaphor for sex. In case this metaphor wasn't obvious enough, the combined mech squeezes the two pilots into a cockpit smaller than twice the size of a regular cockpit.

Naturally all the female pilots, each of which exists only to fill a specific mywaifu niche, want to be the one to combine their mech with the protagonist's mech because their mechs can only combine with his.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying that Vandread sucks, but to argue that this isn't a harem is beyond silly.

Yes, Nadesico does have a harem, but at least it is self-aware of its harem and doesn't treat it seriously like Vandread treats its own.

There is only ever one pilot who is really the love interest of the main character. Two of the others are a lesbian couple and the other is like not really a romantic interest at all. I think that Vandread is self aware that it's fan service is over the top. That thing about the one other pilot wanting to do the "combine" thing was more a sort of awkward comedy thing where the character was unaware of the innuendo and never had any interest in the main character. Seriously, something having more than one attractive female character does not mean harem.

There is only ever one pilot who is really the love interest of the main character. Two of the others are a lesbian couple and the other is like not really a romantic interest at all. I think that Vandread is self aware that it's fan service is over the top. That thing about the one other pilot wanting to do the "combine" thing was more a sort of awkward comedy thing where the character was unaware of the innuendo and never had any interest in the main character. Seriously, something having more than one attractive female character does not mean harem.
True, having more than one "attractive" female character does not mean harem.

Maybe if the company that's licensing it has an opinion about what the show is.
youtube trailer

FUNimation said:
The Sci-fi Mecha Harem classic returns to DVD September 13, 2011
http://amzn.to/Vandread_yt_amzn

If Their Enemies Don't Kill Them -- Their Hormones Will!

I'll agree that the comedy was "awkward".

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Damn that makes me really want to watch GaoGaiGar. I think I am going to drag my friend through it, should be a more fun experiment/pact than KEY at any rate.
I wouldn't recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom