• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the last good mecha series we got? The first GBF?

But that show was too boring who wants to watch kids play with toy mecha
Y8reiVX.jpg

This is still the most specious hype train I've ever seen.

I keep telling him his blind hype is weird after he thought Vividred Operation was going to be some Shin Mazinger thing with girls or whatever!

Yuuichi Nomura wrote more for Xam'd than for Eureka Seven.

Can you people let a man dream?

At this point I'll be satisfied if it ends up being only half decent. I just want a mecha show that isn't horrendous!

Speaking of, have we gotten any media since the initial PVS for Comet Lucifer or Heavy Object?

Nothing new lately as far as I know.

I'm going over the recent Mecha shows I've watched the past couple of years, and most of them have been bad to average.

Captain Earth started out promising, but went bad fast.

Daimidaler was the trashiest trash show I've ever watched.
Would watch again.

Haven't seen Sidonia, can't comment on it.

Gundam Reconguista in G was a failure to most people I think.

Valvrave the Liberator was good for the first half, then ran out of steam in the end when it refused to go full stupid.

Majestic Prince was alright, if a bit bland. Felt like it needed more time to tell its story.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is probably the best mecha show in recent years, but it was also more of a slice of life show with mecha elements.

fertygo

I'm glad I'm catching up on and enjoying Fafner. Guaranteed to have a mecha I'll like next season.

I heard good thing about the sequel, outdoes the original etc.

Probably I should catch up, stopped at eps 13 of original iirc
Majestic Prince was alright, if a bit bland. Felt like it needed more time to tell its story.
MJP was my fave out of those, the 2nd half is remarkable rise of quality.

What gets me curious about Comet Lucifer isn't the fact that it's a mecha show.

It's that the story description and the PVs tell me next to nothing at what this show is going to be about.

The description basically says: "This is a story about people who live on this planet that's got a lot of crystals. A boy gets lost inside ruins and proceeds to meet a mysterious looking girl. Find out what happens next by watching the show."

And the PVs are essentially just fancy-looking music videos! There's no voice acting, no narration, no nothing.

So I'm choosing to focus on the possibility that this could be something decent. It's a lot better than knowing a show is going to be something stupid from it's PV and plot description!

Jarmel

Banned
Charlotte-13

They literally stuffed 5 to 6 episodes worth of development into one episode. What the fuck. Why?

Is it just that Maeda can't get funding for a 24 episode series?

fertygo

Charlotte-13

They literally stuffed 5 to 6 episodes worth of development into one episode. What the fuck. Why?

Remember good time when Maeda don't cut his material for 50 eps for original tv anime?

not exactly new then

Nothing new lately as far as I know.

I'm going over the recent Mecha shows I've watched the past couple of years, and most of them have been bad to average.

Captain Earth started out promising, but went bad fast.

Daimidaler was the trashiest trash show I've ever watched.

Haven't seen Sidonia, can't comment on it.

Gundam Reconguista in G was a failure to most people I think.

Valvrave the Liberator was good for the first half, then ran out of steam in the end when it refused to go full stupid.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is probably the best mecha show in recent years, but it was also more of a slice of life show with mecha elements.

Majestic Prince needed to scrap the first half of the series where Team Rabbits just sucked. When you have to get though 12ish episodes of horribly unfunny comedy and terrible mech action to get to a real plot and kick ass action something is horribly wrong. Once the actual plot showed up and Team Rabbits became semi-competent the series started to get good and became pretty great by the end. If ever there was a series to say "skip the first half and just watch the second half" it'd be Majestic Prince.

Probably I should catch up, stopped at eps 13 of original iirc

MJP was my fave out of those, the 2nd half is remarkable rise of quality.

The original really does pick up a lot in the latter half I felt, and just kept getting better into the movie, and then moreso into the sequel. Exodus is definitely really good so far. The more modernized art and mecha CG (same studio that handled MJP's CG) does wonders for it.

Narag

Charlotte-13

Sounds like a reverse case of what happened with Yurikuma.

Nekomonogatari Black 01

CP4I6fNUwAA9ML0.png:large

TTGL reference? Shaft confirmed for bros

Araragi asking his little sisters for romantic advice is pretty sad. I feel like Araragi is inching closer and closer to being the High School DxD protagonist with each new series.

I expected this to take place before Araragi met Shinobu or Hanekawa, but I guess not unless that vampire line was a fluke. I'm still assuming this will be the season that covers all the hints that have been dropped throughout Bake and Nise...I remember the name of somebody named Guillotine something. It wasn't Gorilla but he had Guillotine in his name for sure.

Also I'm fairly certain Hanekawa said the same line about her father hitting her in Bake. Oh well, I like Hanekawa as a character so this should be pretty good.

Cornbread78

What gets me curious about Comet Lucifer isn't the fact that it's a mecha show.

It's that the story description and the PVs tell me next to nothing at what this show is going to be about.

The description basically says: "This is a story about people who live on this planet that's got a lot of crystals. A boy gets lost inside ruins and proceeds to meet a mysterious looking girl. Find out what happens next by watching the show."

And the PVs are essentially just fancy-looking music videos! There's no voice acting, no narration, no nothing.

So I'm choosing to focus on the possibility that this could be something decent. It's a lot better than knowing a show is going to be something stupid from it's PV and plot description!

Ok, for once we're on the same page with something, because I was thinking the same thing. I wish we had something else to go by on it though.

Also, you all are forgetting the greatness of the Cross Ange mecha series, lol.

Nekomonogatari Black 01

Araragi asking his little sisters for romantic advice is pretty sad. I feel like Araragi is inching closer and closer to being the High School DxD protagonist with each new series.

I expected this to take place before Araragi met Shinobu or Hanekawa, but I guess not unless that vampire line was a fluke. I'm still assuming this will be the season that covers all the hints that have been dropped throughout Bake and Nise...I remember the name of somebody named Guillotine something. It wasn't Gorilla but he had Guillotine in his name for sure.

Also I'm fairly certain Hanekawa said the same line about her father hitting her in Bake. Oh well, I like Hanekawa as a character so this should be pretty good.

Black takes place prior to Bakemonogatari.

Cross Ange was better then G Reco and GBF Try and Aldnoah Zero

Mecha is doomed

Cross Ange knew what it was, never hid what it was, and went all in on that premise. It makes it kind of hard to quality as it's probably the best prisonsploitation mecha series ever made... it's also to my knowledge the only one... I'm also not sure if prisonsploitation mecha is a genre that should exist.

Ok, for once we're on the same page with something, because I was thinking the same thing. I wish we had something else to go by on it though.

Also, you all are forgetting the greatness of the Cross Ange mecha series, lol.

Cross Ange is everything WRONG with modern mecha! Literally nothing about Cross Ange is great!

Unless you're talking about it being a great piece of trash.

Cross Ange was better then G Reco and GBF Try and Aldnoah Zero

Mecha is doomed

Don't say that. It's not doomed.

It'll make a comeback.

It WILL make a comeback.

Are we at the bargaining stage already?

It's more like the begging stage.

Cross Ange was.... Cross Ange.

I wouldn't exactly recommend it to someone who's looking for a mecha show to watch. Partially because the mecha parts imo do not advance beyond Gundam Seed Destiny style in terms of posing and movement during battle. Somehow it became really rote and didn't lead to cool dynamic mecha battles like how I was originally hoping for.

Fafner EXODUS is pretty interesting just for that stark increase in quality compared to the original.

I was really surprised since I was expecting more of the first season in terms of quality.

It has some pretty hype moments as well. I'd recommend getting into it if you're curious.

fertygo

Fafner EXODUS is pretty interesting just for that stark increase in quality compared to the original.

I was really surprised since I was expecting more of the first season in terms of quality.

It has some pretty hype moments as well. I'd recommend getting into it if you're curious.

I'm always curious for good thing

The only problem is I don't like the original from what I watch, so its gonna be slog to catch up.

Gatchaman Crowds insight 12
All about understanding Hajime's plan and the world returning to order. Kind of redundant as her plan was pretty obvious especially by the point you see her unconcious though made the fight have more impact. It was interesting to see the poor influences of the other side of the spectrum for this season compared to the first but, the ideas kind of needed more fleshing especially VAPE. At least it's only a couple weeks until more Taku Iwasaki music

Maybe I'll check out this Fafner Exodus thing...

Ow, my eyes, Hisashi Hirai, why?

I haven't dived into Fafner Exodus. I only watched the original.

Give it a chance. It's a well written series. Plus, I've heard it's pretty beautiful.

Majestic Prince needed to scrap the first half of the series where Team Rabbits just sucked. When you have to get though 12ish episodes of horribly unfunny comedy and terrible mech action to get to a real plot and kick ass action something is horribly wrong. Once the actual plot showed up and Team Rabbits became semi-competent the series started to get good and became pretty great by the end. If ever there was a series to say "skip the first half and just watch the second half" it'd be Majestic Prince.

Yeah, you're right. The second season was a drastic improvement, and where all the best fights took place.

The fight back on Earth at the middle of series is probably the best mecha fight in the past couple of years.

Our Lord and Savior Angelise Ikaruga Misurugi is the best mecha protag since Lelouch

She got shit done, had a solid character arc and didn't give a damn about killing fools, you gotta respect that. She shits on Inaho, Haruto and all those other chucklefucks that blend together from on high. Too bad Tusk exists to fill that spot anyway

Jarmel

Banned
I suppose I'll dig nintendoman out a little. Comet Lucifer does have the Xam'd writer on scripts. Xam'd at times was probably the closest to mimicking Eureka 7 in feeling and tone. In fact it came much closer than Eureka 7's own sequel and spinoff movie. Up through the first half, the writing mostly was pretty good. The only two major issues were the worldbuilding and how confusing the transformation elements were. He did a good job with the romance side, especially Akiyuki's parents. Comet Lucifer obviously looks to be taking a few cues from Eureka 7 so this shouldn't be new territory for the scriptwriter.

I'm not familiar with Atsushi Nakayama direction style with sub directors so I don't know if he's largely assisting with production matters like Watanabe and Space Dandy or Ishihara with Euphonium, or if he's going to be much more hands on. As for Kikuchi, I don't necessarily think he's bad despite him directing some bad anime (mostly due to the source material or Okada writing).

Also the art direction might be good? Maybe?
Comet-Lucifer.jpg

I have no clue if this is representative of the art direction, partially due to the lack of PVs.

Crocodile

Food Wars Finale

Of course they had to end on tentacles :/

So I had heard good murmurs of Food Wars from MangaGaf but watching this anime I never expected this to deliver so hard. Sure sometimes the humor didn't hit for me and I wasn't a fan of when they went into Chibi mode so often and Erina SSSSSUUUUUUCCCKKKKKSSS and there are too many tsunderes in this show but in terms of displayed ingenuity, earned wins, high stakes and tension events you know the protag has to win but still love the shit out of, etc. this hit the mark. I thought the momnts they weaved in character development at key moments was great - Naruto could learn how to do good flashbacks from this show.I think the comparison to Gundam Build Fighters is actually a good an apt comparison. Great show, would watch a second season.

One last note........isn't there a tie for 4th for the A block prelims between Smokey and Glasses? Did they just not resolve that? I feel they implied Smokey won but.......this is way more ambiguous than it should be.

Prison School Finale

Second Season when?! Honestly I'd say the adaptation wasn't perfect but overall they delivered on the great characters, cleverness, absurdity, bro-ness and humor that make Prisons School so great. One of the better shows of the year though I admit that has more to do with the strong source material than the strength of this adaptation. I'm surprised they went so far into the next arc's starting premise. That's kind of a dick move if we never get another season. I guess its just one of those "go read the manga hooks". I want to see
Ouroboros
animated so badly <3

One last note........isn't there a tie for 4th for the A block prelims between Smokey and Glasses? Did they just not resolve that? I feel they implied Smokey won but.......this is way more ambiguous than it should be.

That was resolved but they cut the resolution.
There was another A block contestant that beats them both, a new character

Food Wars Finale

Of course they had to end on tentacles :/

So I had heard good murmurs of Food Wars from MangaGaf but watching this anime I never expected this to deliver so hard. Sure sometimes the humor didn't hit for me and I wasn't a fan of when they went into Chibi mode so often and Erina SSSSSUUUUUUCCCKKKKKSSS and there are too many tsunderes in this show but in terms of displayed ingenuity, earned wins, high stakes and tension events you know the protag has to win but still love the shit out of, etc. this hit the mark. I thought the momnts they weaved in character development at key moments was great - Naruto could learn how to do good flashbacks from this show.I think the comparison to Gundam Build Fighters is actually a good an apt comparison. Great show, would watch a second season.

The anime skipped over a scene that happened right after that would have even further teased a second season which I assume if we get one they'll flash back it in with some
"but man nobody saw that last guy coming"
. You really can't introduce
another rival who's a rather big antagonist
in the last few minutes unless you're really confident s2 is happening.

sonicmj1

I've been burned so often being hyped for mecha shows that I think it's best at this point to expect nothing from any show with giant robots. Those days are dead.

I've been burned so often being hyped for mecha shows that I think it's best at this point to expect nothing from any show with giant robots. Those days are dead.

Everything has highs and lows eventually mecha will come back around to being king of the roost it just takes one series to change the direction of that sine wave

Arcticfox

Odd seeing all these Aniplex shows announced as streaming only on Crunchyroll. Has Aniplex given up on Daisuki.net even though they own part of it?

Not that I am complaining. I vastly prefer Crunchyroll.

One Piece 711

You know, putting aside the dumb voice, Pica's power is actually pretty terrifying.

The art is pretty solid this episode too. Animation is pretty good too.

Decent episode.

javac

Another anime announcement came out of Anime Weekend Atlanta today in the form of Aniplex USA’s OWARIMONOGATARI. This latest entry in the MONOGATARI series, OWARIMONOGATARI, is set to premiere exclusively on Crunchyroll starting on Saturday, October 3 at 10:00am Pacific Time. Subsequent episodes will air at 9:30am on Saturdays. For more information, visit www.crunchyroll.com/owarimonogatari.
KHJ6awW.jpg
OWARIMONOGATARI will be available to Crunchyroll members in the following territories: North America, Central America, South America, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.

Official Site:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom