• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

Gamergate the animation 1-12 [END]

Diabolik Lovers 1-12 [END]

1423972870274.gif

Who thought it would be a good idea to make an anime that was nothing but a string of allegoric rape scenes?

And who the HELL thought it would be a good idea to make a sequel to this.

This isn't just a bad anime! This is a pure travesty and is probably the most sexist piece of garbage i have ever seen.

I need to.... Just... someone recommend something for me... something good that i haven't watched yet. I feel like a piece of my soul has been torn from my body the last couple of days...

Why do i do this to myself...

Isn't this the one where the guy throws the girl into the pool and tells her to say how great he is? I thought fujoshis loved that stuff, aren't there multiple shows about the pretty boy treating the regular girl like garbage?

Well, you would have to be a masochist to watch anime in the first place, so it makes sense. Surprisingly the only one I can think of with the genders flipped is MM! but there are probably more. Is Haganai like that? It kind of seems like it I have never watched it

Mailbox

Isn't this the one where the guy throws the girl into the pool and tells her to say how great he is? I thought fujoshis loved that stuff, aren't there multiple shows about the pretty boy treating the regular girl like garbage?

Well, you would have to be a masochist to watch anime in the first place, so it makes sense.

yeah, but they don't have (what are basically) rape scenes every (or every second) scene.

the fact that this gets a sequel.... just....

These are all otome game adaptations, and I just had a brief conversation earlier today in the Amnesia OT (Amnesia the VN, not Amnesia the horror game) about how the most popular otome games tend to be the ones where all the guys are highly abusive to the female self-insert protagonist. I guess the Japanese female market for this stuff can be equated to the market that has made Fifty Shades of Grey such a commercial success.

Cornbread78

man fuck this series
Well it looks like Monogatari Second Season is the real sequel to Bakemonogatari, so this should be good at least. Some of these arc names are ominous

Yeah, the whole Shinobu x Araragi meeting and the subsequent events is what everyone wants to see. We got a small snippet of it, but where's the backstory man?

Are you going in to see some love relationship developing (from been friend to be in love to get marry and have kids)? If that's what you expecting to get from this show, then you will leave disappointed. You will see some love relationship with Belldandy and Keiichi during the show and some episodes will push that and see if Keiichi do love Belldandy or not. Most of the time, you see how Belldandy help other people in the show to the point she is literally the perfect woman in almost everything.
I guess if you want some sort of idea of how the show feel like, I guess Ai Yori Aoshi come up in my mind as it have the similar tone. More of the fun stuff between the main character with a slice of romance here and there.
I do wish you don't drop the show that quick but change your exception when going into the show. It's still a fun show to watch and get more interesting in season 2 when Belldandy you know in the 1st season change quite a bit and learn about a feeling she never feel before.

As I wrote earlier, if it's still a good SoL experience, then I'll give it a shot. I love good character developement and stories, so I do hope there is some growth in the characters, even if they never fall in love or whatever. They could become rivals and be stuck together because of the wish and it could still be fun to watch. I just hate how all these shows have that "romance" tag, but there really isn't even any relationship development in it, nevermind romance, lol.

Jarmel

Banned
Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX-3
bvvCevM.jpg

You have to shitting me with this cliffhanger.
Oh for fuck's sake at this ending. This plot-line is already insufferable and I'm not even four episodes into this cour. This season just feels like a total regression on the writing front. The homonculi aren't cutting it on the villain side, instead it feels like Carol is just playing with a number of windup dolls. Not to mention her goal seems so incredibly childish that I'm not feeling engaged with her character.
This is my reaction too.

God Eater 09

Man Lenka is a boss MC. Wish we had more like him. Now I should complain about how there are still episodes left, but at least, unlike Gangsta, we had a nice ending to the episodes. There is still more to come in the Winter, but it felt like a season finale at least. And the stuff we were shown in this episode was actually pretty good. Looking forward to seeing those last episodes.

You know what would be cool? If these 4 episodes that are left were longer than just the typical 20min segments. UBW had those, and they were awesome.

John Blade

As I wrote earlier, if it's still a good SoL experience, then I'll give it a shot. I love good character developement and stories, so I do hope there is some growth in the characters, even if they never fall in love or whatever. They could become rivals and be stuck together because of the wish and it could still be fun to watch. I just hate how all these shows have that "romance" tag, but there really isn't even any relationship development in it, nevermind romance, lol.

Well...I guess that's what some fans put on Genres for that show and it does have romance a bit. If you want a good simple romance relationship development from beginning to end without any bullshit, I would recommend to look at Emma: A Victorian Romance. A very nice romance story that isn't difficult to follow and have a very great character development. Do look into it if you want a very good romance show.

Cornbread78

Well...I guess that's what some fans put on Genres for that show and it does have romance a bit. If you want a good simple romance relationship development from beginning to end without any bullshit, I would recommend to look at Emma: A Victorian Romance. A very nice romance story that isn't difficult to follow and have a very great character development. Do look into it if you want a very good romance show.

You'very recommend Emma a lot,lol. I'm definately going to take a look soon.

NeonZ

I think Kid Buu was going to rip apart the fabric of the universe by screaming. This seems like a step down from that almost

Super Buu (Gohan absorbed) was going to do that in the anime. Unlike this time we didn't actually see it having any effect outside of Earth though.

It's also kind of silly since the anime then goes on to add some lines about how Kid Buu is the strongest Buu, and yet it doesn't do anything like that when it starts screaming, just breaks the terrain around him. They couldn't even keep their extra scenes consistent with each other.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX-3

Oh for fuck's sake at this ending. This plot-line is already insufferable and I'm not even four episodes into this cour. This season just feels like a total regression on the writing front. The homonculi aren't cutting it on the villain side, instead it feels like Carol is just playing with a number of windup dolls. Not to mention her goal seems so incredibly childish that I'm not feeling engaged with her character.

This is my reaction too.

GX's biggest problem is Hibiki turns awful for like, half of it and the characters go through the same arcs they did before. There are good parts though, surprises never stop coming.

Gvitor

Gate 02-04

Alright, decided to give this another shot. Episode 2 was awful. My god, what a boring episode. Its one redeeming quality is that it gave us "I'll kill you if you badmouth my waifu". After episode 3 it gets a little better. This show works best when it goes full-on anime with magic, creatures, elves, gothic lolis and such. It's certainly not revolutionary, but it's waaay better than the army and politicians' awful scenes.

So far it doesn't have a "goal" per se, so I have no idea what to expect of future episodes, but I'll keep watching for a while. People here said it gets better, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

And the whole "we speak different languages" really doesn't work when both sides speak in goddamn japanese. At least they're learning at a ridiculous pace, so hopefully the language barrier will stop being a thing.

John Blade

You'very recommend Emma a lot,lol. I'm definately going to take a look soon.

I guess the reason I recommend this show a lot more than I should be because it's one of the few anime show I watch that doesn't feel like an anime show as in it doesn't use anime tropes when telling a romance story. This is good as it feel more fresh when you're watching. Also, it's a hidden gems anime that most people didn't watch which is sad as it isn't a bad show to watch but a very different style of anime which not all anime fans will like to see.

Either way, I stop talking about it and let you go watch it when you have the chance.

Who thought it would be a good idea to make an anime that was nothing but a string of allegoric rape scenes?

This isn't just a bad anime! This is a pure travesty and is probably the most sexist piece of garbage i have ever seen.

I need to.... Just... someone recommend something for me... something good that i haven't watched yet. I feel like a piece of my soul has been torn from my body the last couple of days...

Because you watch shows that no sane person would touch?

And also I must now show you this.

Stealth Edit: To answer your recommendations question, can I see your MAL if you have one? I'm pretty sure I can recommend a show for you if I take a look at it.

Mailbox

Mailbox, are you okay?

You know you deserve to be happy right?

I know, thanks.

I've always been adamant about how people should watch, or at least understand, bad media so that they can have a good baseline and make sure their bar of approval isn't too high, but I think I just over did it this time.
I should have just stuck to one, i shouldn't have watched both vampire holmes and diabolik lovers.
Is there a reason for that?

Its basically completely filler fanservice that just hard-stops the momentum of the show. If you ignore that episode you may be ever so slightly confused about a few references, but its better to just not experience it

edit:

Because you watch shows that no sane person would touch?

Yeah, pretty much. God I've watched so much bad anime! http://myanimelist.net/animelist/a_mailbox
Ignore the ratings, I was wayyyyy too generous when i made some of those.

Russ T

Banned
I liked every episode other than episode 8 and 9.

sure, its mostly prequel stuffs, but i enjoyed it. Especially the megu-nee episode.

Haha yeah I'm not gonna fault anyone for liking the show, buuuut the only thing I got out of all the episodes after the first one was "I really really really hate these people please let them die". I mean honestly I didn't like them in the first episode, either, but I liked the inherent juxtaposition quite a bit.

IMO, it should've just been a one-off.

*prepares for another "read the manga!" response* :D

Yeah, pretty much. God I've watched so much bad anime! http://myanimelist.net/animelist/a_mailbox
Ignore the ratings, I was wayyyyy too generous when i made some of those.

Looking at your list, here is my little list of shows that you should consider watching.

Full Metal Panic
Tiger & Bunny
Hellsing Ultimate
Martain Sucessor Nadesico
The Vision of Escaflowne
Wolf's Rain

The latter two are sadly not available for legal streaming but between those 6, you should find something to your liking.

Mailbox

Haha yeah I'm not gonna fault anyone for liking the show, buuuut the only thing I got out of all the episodes after the first one was "I really really really hate these people please let them die". I mean honestly I didn't like them in the first episode, either, but I liked the inherent juxtaposition quite a bit.

IMO, it should've just been a one-off.

*prepares for another "read the manga!" response* :D

Yeah, i can totally understand that.

Looking at your list, here is my little list of shows that you should consider watching.

Full Metal Panic
Tiger & Bunny
Hellsing Ultimate
Martain Sucessor Nadesico
The Vision of Escaflowne
Wolf's Rain

The latter two are sadly not available for legal streaming but between those 6, you should find something to your liking.

Appreciate it!
Full Metal Panic it is (then i'll watch tiger & bunny after)

Quasar

1423972870274.gif

Well I thought it was based on a manga that was aimed at females. So I assume the same crowd watched it. The description made it sound right in line with some other manga for females out there.

That said I'm kind of surprised it sold well enough to get a second season.

Well I thought it was based on a manga that was aimed at females. So I assume the same crowd watched it. The description made it sound right in line with some other manga for females out there.

That said I'm kind of surprised it sold well enough to get a second season.

You think that's surprising, it did well enough for Sentai to go ahead and dub it over other, better shows they acquired during that season.

So wait thats it for Gangsta and Arslan?

Im just getting back into anime when do the new shows start?

anything good on the horizon. I have a funimation subcription.

Mailbox

You think that's surprising, it did well enough for Sentai to go ahead and dub it over other, better shows they acquired during that season.

yeah, it also got a BD release here too....

Fuck my life.
I am completely serious here, why is there no The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior BD. The art in it is just too good to waist in just having a DVD release.

edit: I'm gonna be switching up my avatar every anime season, so who do you guys think I should draw and use as my avatar for Fall?

Zephyx

So I marathoned Soma from 12-24 yesterday...

Impressions:
+ Really loved how the anime was an on-point adaptation of the manga. The comedic scenes were almost perfect in execution and most haven't lost their humor in translation.
+ The art was good throughout the whole season.
+ The foodgasms were really enjoyable. It was amazing just seeing the still scenes in the manga being animated with such precision.
- Didn't like both the second OP and ED songs but loved the first ones.

Overall, it was one of the best animes I've watched this year and am highly anticipating a season 2.

EDIT:
Will also binge watch Charlotte and Prison School sometime later. Also not sure what to watch this fall as the lineup seems stale.

Russ T

Banned
I've been slowly watching all of the Space Cobra content that Crunchyroll has available for streaming. I guess it's kind of like an anime version of Conan the Barbarian, but in space. With a hint of Lupin to the character of Cobra, I wanna say. It's super cheesy and absurd. That's the part of it that I like.

And I like it a lot except for holy shit is there not a single woman who isn't at least half naked at all times during their presence on the show. Shit is kind of gross.

But then I've also been marathoning all of Metal Gear Solid, and at least Space Cobra is honest about what it's doing. It's just gratuitous T&A without any excuses. So I guess I should give it some credit for not trying to bullshit me?

Gakkou Gurashi Ep1-9(marathon)

Holy fuck. The feels.
I didn't expect this to pluck at heart strings so well. The Megu-nee centric episodes had me in tears.

jonjonaug

You should watch Hades Project Zeorymer next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom