• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Yami Shibai S5 1
vwv6yTPl.jpg
creepy atmospheric storytelilng of S1 is back, baby

ED is p. good too

sonicmj1

The Japanese site has its own (very very similar) trailer. Seems like they're planning to release it in theaters over there, so that at least suggests they're setting the quality bar somewhat higher than normal TV anime.

I'll watch it whatever happens because I can't help myself. I'm still confused and intrigued that the script is being written by Hideto Iwai, a guy who escaped being a hikkikomori by writing and starring in his own plays, forming his own acting group. Maybe there are some ideas there. It's just tough to be confident.

Narag

Symphogear GX 13 FIN

Show exceeded expectations which were admittedly low after the first two seasons. The franchise has had this upward trend in quality since around the middle of the first season but I figured it plateaued after Symphogear G . Animation was never quite as good as it should have been ( I'll readily admit bias as I watched the terrible TV version of the first season) and the villains were, more often than not, either the terribly designed hordes of the Noise or human antagonists that were eyeroll inducing or just outright grating. It took me quite a while to warm up to Maria, Kiri, and Shirabe in the second season. In general, it felt as if the Symphogear franchise was really good about over-promising and under-delivering.

Symphogear GX starts with that one shuttle scene that I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about but it's an important statement from the showrunners where they prove they can finally follow through on the vision of their various set pieces. It's loud, it's crazy, and it's so very, very Symphogear. The shuttle is hurtling toward Earth and seemingly no one being able to stop it. Genjuuro's crew gets approval for something and the next thing we see is a submarine firing a missile at it. The shuttle pilots relegate themselves to their fate as it's the only rational solution to prevent them from hitting some populated area. Symphogear GX proper begins when the first line from any of the Symphogears is Hibki's usual catchphrase of "Don't worry, everything will be fine." They're incredibly important words this cour due to the legacy they carry. The antagonists from the second cour watch as Hibiki, Tsubasa, and Chris do their usual hero thing. Kiri & Shirabe make a comment about how they can't commit to a cause like Hibiki while Maria notes she could never match her spirit, foreshadowing their own character arcs. When faced with the possibility of saving only the pilots, Hibiki refuses as it's all or nothing. In doing so, it's just one impossible task after another whether it's punching through K2, cutting down a forest, punching hard enough to change the shuttle's trajectory, or just suplexing the damn thing to save a town. There's no fear of failure, just handling crisis one step at a time until done. That's how the Symphogears roll.

Establishing all of this early on is a great move. It makes GX so good because when the villains show up almost immediately after, they begin to undermine all of that.
Tsubasa's self-worth is brought into question as her opponent wields the anthiesis of herself, Chris finds herself unable to protect those she's meant to, they drive Hibiki into such a crisis of conscience that she's unable to wield Gunginr, and they threaten to break Maria by forcing her to acknowledge her own weakness. Symphogear's villain problem is finally solved with Carol the Alchemist and her mechanical Autoscorers showing up. The Noise are shoved aside as the main existential threat and serve as the grunts they always should have been while shounen villains invade a magical girl show.

The thing about the Autoscorers is not only do each of them have a great look and unique personality befitting a team of shounenesque enemies, they have some amusing special abilities as well. Not that they really need them because they're strong. Not "give a hero a run for her money" strong but "clearly outclassing the protagonists early on" strong. The fights in the show are often curb stomps in one direction or the other with very little in the way of even fights and it's all the better for it. Story progression is rather economical when viewed under a shounen lens. It's basically two cours of material jammed into one cour to great effect as the events of episode six feel like what should normally happen in episode 13 of a show twice this length. The usual fluff meant to pad time is mostly gone; the action is nearly always center stage. It threatens a feeling of repetition that's not entirely absent yet never fully materializes like one would expect.

I imagine this works so well since the writing backs the non-action scenes so well. There's a running theme of parent/child relationship throughout the show with Carol's, Tsubasa's, and HIbiki's characters arcs centered around the influence of failed father/daughter relationships and their adverse effect on the mental development of the daughters. The theme is translated into a senpai/kouhai variation for the orphans Chris, Kiri, and Shirabe as Chris sees herself as the guardian of the other two. All provide sound basis for each character's various moral dilemmas and bolsters character traits like Tsubasa's very cynical view of herself or Carol's anger at the world, allowing them to be much more believable in the context of the story rather than the trademark drowning in melodrama of the first two cours.

From a production standpoint, the end result is a much more mature product. All elements of the show serve to strengthen the others and it's no longer the case that the action & music are required to work overtime to make up for the shortcomings of the rest.
The show has finally reached a point where it's not just "good enough" for what it is but it's actually some good anime. It's exciting because a franchise that stumbled rather often early on was finally given time to get things right and if the quality continues this positive trend, Symphogear AXZ stands to be something really special. Judging from what I've seen of the first episode of AXZ, I'm rather confident we haven't seen the best of Symphogear quite yet.

I'm sorry maybe I missed something. Where are the talented animators?

:)

Kazuto Arai, Kei Suezawa, and of course Oshiyama would be the big ones of the announced staff, with Hiroshi Ikehata and Kiyotaka Suzuki as directors who tend to be involved with interesting younger animators.

duckroll

Kazuto Arai, Kei Suezawa, and of course Oshiyama would be the big ones of the announced staff, with Hiroshi Ikehata and Kiyotaka Suzuki as directors who tend to be involved with interesting younger animators.

Ah yes, the brilliant talent behind Flip Flappers, Robot Girls Z, and Psycho-Pass 2. How could I have been so blind. Pure quality awaits.

‪Eureka Seven 1‬

‪I really like the art style here. Quite the interesting premise, too. We'll see where it goes from here. ‬Pretty sure the main VO is Naruto's JP VO.

Is season 1 and maybe this the only good seasons?

Can I watch season 1 and skip right to this?

I thought the first two seasons were pretty strong. Season 3 was whatever but had an interesting twist by its end. Season 4 was just bad. Hopefully Narag is right and Season 5 is a return to form.

DiGiKerot

Phenomenal. Straight up.

Better than any of KyoAni's shows for a long long time.

Lest anyone thinks he's being in any way sarcastic, I was also at the screening earlier and will happily consign this. One of the most impressive first episodes of anything I've seen in a long while.

Seeing people freak out about a batch of new Trigger projects is when they announce a batch of Sonic and Final Fantasy games and people say "Oh well one of these HAS to be good right"

jbug617

Banned
Seeing people freak out about a batch of new Trigger projects is when they announce a batch of Sonic and Final Fantasy games and people say "Oh well one of these HAS to be good right"

When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace was a good show. Incomplete but a good show.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
RWBY keeping the garden (and my ship) alive and well.

Volume 5 coming this fall. Embrace your savior. :p

Long time no see strangers! Miss you.

cj_iwakura

This is the news, so no you didn't miss anything. I'm not a big fan of the trailer because the anime seems to have scrubbed anything distinctively ABe out of the characters, which is a shame.

I kind of agree, but the teaser definitely has a Texhnolyze vibe. I'm still in.

I'm dubbing it Texhnolyze;Gate after reading this.

The original anime centers on technology developer Delida, who wakes up in the future from a cold sleep, but with his girlfriend missing. In order to keep his promise with her, he decides to return to "that incident" from 10 years ago. The key to regain her is a time leap.

https://myanimelist.net/news/51348933

Knights & Magic 01

The isekai aspect in this is so flimsy that I wonder if it was tacked on just for the sake of selling this in that genre. There's no how/what/why, and the only aspects of it that matter are the fact that he used to be a genius programmer and his mecha obsession, both of which could've just been traits given to a regular fantasy-born kid.

Everything else was pretty fun though. Ern is great, his friends don't seem insufferable (yet), and the mecha stuff is setting up for fun times. fhana is also good to hear.

Eureka Seven 2

Now I am starting to have a hard time following what is going on and what they're fighting against and for what purpose they're fighting...

Guilty Crown EP 1 - 06

Trying to give this show a second chance. Man it's so fucking generic. I love the music though.

Ugh.

Might drop it and not waste my time. Anyone recommend an anime that is 1) Not generic high school stuff/forced high school stuff for no reason. 2) Not edge lord as hell (ITS COOL BECAUSE BLOOD!!) 3) Actual interesting characters and not this nonsense high school boy who instantly falls for the damaged goods girl who barely talks, but always gets into "pervy fanservice" moments.

Once again, good opening song though.

Narag

Guilty Crown EP 1 - 06

Trying to give this show a second chance. Man it's so fucking generic. I love the music though.

Ugh.

Might drop it and not waste my time. Anyone recommend an anime that is 1) Not generic high school stuff/forced high school stuff for no reason. 2) Not edge lord as hell (ITS COOL BECAUSE BLOOD!!) 3) Actual interesting characters and not this nonsense high school boy who instantly falls for the damaged goods girl who barely talks, but always gets into "pervy fanservice" moments.

Texhnolyze

Is New Game any good?

I'm a huge fan of anime with working environment (or adult life in general) theme, but it looks like just another 'cute girls doing cute things' trope judging by the trailer. :/

LotusHD

Banned
Guilty Crown EP 1 - 06

Trying to give this show a second chance

Why tho

Monster.

zulux21

Guilty Crown EP 1 - 06

Ugh.

I feel like I could recommend a ton of shows but I also feel like I should try to walk the line with a recommendation that will make you feel by looking at it that I am screwing with you.

Angel Beats.

It's highschool but not generic.
It's not cool because blood, but boy can is be edgy at times.
the characters are fun in general but the main character does kind of fall for a damaged goods girl who barely talks :p
It also has a solid soundtrack.

I will say though, I wish you would continue with guilty crown. if you hate it that much already I would love to see your impression when the show gets to the point where most people hate it lol.

more seriously...
ghost in the shell SAC.

Shokugeki no Soma 2, Completed - Is it weird that I thought the final three episodes focusing on Soma's internship was better than the entirety of Tournament from the other 9 episodes? Soma actually did legitimately feel like a fish out of water here and no longer in his comfort zone, so his struggle to adapt to high class dining actually felt believable.

I have love/hate relationship with the actual school setting and typically adversity that the writer often puts Soma in. I like the series for the most part, but I still have one major issue with it, and it goes into the manga as well. I always find it disingenuous how much the narrative and characters want to cast Soma as the underdog. Even with how unconventional Soma cooks, you'd think at a certain point characters would stop acting like he has no chance at winning any of his matches.

Fate/Apocrypha, Episode 1 - That was definitely a Fate introduction episode. At least it didn't have characters walking around in a circle. Bonus points for ending the episode with introducing the best incarnation of Saber.

Cornbread78

Is New Game any good?

I'm a huge fan of anime with working environment (or adult life in general) theme, but it looks like just another 'cute girls doing cute things' trope judging by the trailer. :/

It's basically that + Yuri bait.

But it is a pretty fun show and it's mostly a harmless watch.

Eureka Seven 2

Now I am starting to have a hard time following what is going on and what they're fighting against and for what purpose they're fighting...

It takes a long while to flesh everything out. Keep going.

Defuser

Jesus, I didn't step in here for like 3 months and I feel at loss here. I'm not even sure what are the shows to watch for the summer.

Defuser

just Made in Abyss
Yeah this one caught my interest the most out of all the shows. I'll also probably watch Fate A(why) and prob princess principal. My spring leftovers will be continuing Shingeki no Bahamut Virgin Soul because it's still damn good and MHA.

Re:Creators can suck a dick because it's so damn boring to watch, how can anybody watch this. Ei Aoki needs to stop writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom