• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

Tiger Mask W 32

The character art was consistently good, above average for this show, and Tiger Mask's fight with Miracle 3 featured some really nice animation cuts. But the storyboarding and layouts were ridiculously bad, which kind of put a damper on the whole thing. The second half was better than the first, but still wasn't great.

I usually see such angles during scenes where they intend to invoke an uncomfortable feeling. Unless it wasn't the case for that scene.

A-1 is a glorified temp office, this is not like KyoAni or Shaft which operate with the same in-house or circle of creative staff.

A-1 is also responsible for the iM@S anime so I forgive them for stuff like SAO.

Well, we can't blame them for Xenoglossia

moogs

Neo Member
THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls 06

Wasn't Uzuki their unit leader? Mio as the leader actually makes sense, but that responsibility unfortunately contributed to her own disappointment. I didn't think her ego was so fragile. The producer was right in his response, but it lacked tact. Neither one was seeing the situation from more than a personal perspective, but Mio is the inexperienced adolescent here.

Here is the episode in four key images. The fractured heel represents Mio's descent from fantasy, and it foreshadows her return at the same time. Despite the excessive transparency, it was still the finest entry in the series since episodes one and three.

Rankings: 1. Uzuki; 2. Rin▲; 3. Mika; 4. Anastasia▼; 5. Chihiro▲; 6. Kirari; 7. Ranko; 8. Miku; 9. Chieri; 10. Producer; 11. Riina; 12. Rika; 13. Minami▼; 14. Miria; 15. Kanako▼
Benched: Anzu, Nana, Akane, Miho, Mizuki, Mayu, and Trainer(s)
Banned: Mio

Clov

Comiket was pretty crazy, I'm completely exhausted! Didn't actually end up getting very much stuff, since the one bit of Astolfo merch I wanted (I think it was an AC adapter) was sold out when I got there. Maybe it'll be back on another day? I've never been in such a busy place in my entire life...

blurr

Wasn't Uzuki their unit leader? Mio as the leader actually makes sense, but that responsibility unfortunately contributed to her own disappointment. I didn't think her ego was so fragile. The producer was right in his response, but it lacked tact. Neither one was seeing the situation from more than a personal perspective, but Mio is the inexperienced adolescent here.

Here is the episode in four key images. The fractured heel represents Mio's descent from fantasy, and it foreshadows her return at the same time. Despite the excessive transparency, it was still the finest entry in the series since episodes one and three.

Rankings: 1. Uzuki; 2. Rin▲; 3. Mika; 4. Anastasia▼; 5. Chihiro▲; 6. Kirari; 7. Ranko; 8. Miku; 9. Chieri; 10. Producer; 11. Riina; 12. Rika; 13. Minami▼; 14. Miria; 15. Kanako▼

Oh right, I wanted to read your impressions on episode 3, that was a good one.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

ZKcWsdI.png

It begins.

Quasar

Sword Art Online, Asterisk War, Eromanga-sensei, and so on. A-1 is the McDonalds of anime. Prolific, flashy, popular and not very good(or atrocious even) if you try to look below all of it.

They are production studio who have mastered tricking people into thinking that most of their overrated shows are great. Any super smart, analytical critic can tear most of their works apart to show just how bad they are.

I really appreciate being condescended to like that.

Ahh I see you are a person of culture as well.

Mio sux

Escaflowne

Dropped around episode 8 or 9.

It's a strange series, like they were trying to make a mech series but attracting a more shojo audience, so they put Hitomi as protagonist, more focus on romance, and if you think about it, they also used a fantasy world to the setting, which is more shojo-friendly (so you have big robots driven by magic rocks and fighting with swords instead of big robots fighting with explosive rounds and lasers).

But Hitomi is a so uninteresting character. She has almost no agency, and it's more the type of character that exists for deus ex machina moments thanks to her powers, to have a outsider/audience perspective and for romantic purposes; she is more a follower of other characters.

The bad guys are not interesting, nor their plans. I can only theorize as I didn't reach far enough, but I have the vague idea that Folken's justification for the Empire conquests and actions seems to be to want to unify all humanity in one Empire so there won't be wars between nations. Which isn't very original.
Speaking of not originality, he has a Darth Vader thing going on, being good before and wanting for his brother to join him in the Empire. He even has also an Emperor figure above him.

Plot wise, it has lots of weak moments, with writing taken from D&D Game of Thrones school of writing. For example, they used basically 'a dozen of good men' to infiltrate the Empire Fortress (many times bigger than theirs), contain the enemy, search and rescue Van, and escape without being followed.

And romance wise is ughh. Hitomi has zero chemistry with all the characters, both Allen and Van. It's all handled in a very pedestrian and clumsy way, with mediocre direction signalling the development in an obvious way, without no hints of subtlety.

moogs

Neo Member
Oh right, I wanted to read your impressions on episode 3, that was a good one.
Here are my impressions of episode three. I failed to mention that the character animation was exceptional, especially the hair. The characters' nerves leading up to the concert were thoroughly conveyed with an uplifting climax. There was good use of silent slow motion, but my one complaint would have to be the unattractive stage lighting.

ZKcWsdI.png

It begins.
Foreshadowing?

Why wasting time with making a best girl list for CG if only Rin, Kaede and Anatasia are relevant anyway?
Lily Tomlin said:
The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

Jonnax

Searched for a general anime thread but I couldn't find one.
Was messing around on the guitar and played a few notes that seemed to remind me of a song I heard years ago in an anime.
But can't figure out what it was. May have been an ED theme possibly with a female singer.
Also could very well have been in an advert for shoes, haha.

Does it ring any bells Anime-GAF?
https://clyp.it/5mnaivnk

I mean, these "good old days" were from the same era as Sword Art Online, you know?
Maybe it's simply an animation studio that has ups and downs?

Lol people do not realize all Animation studios make terrible anime, but they also make really great ones. Calling an animation studio trash because they adapt light novels, but do not consider the great anime they make is ridiculous.

Some people see Madhouse as the holy grail of animation studios because everything they make turns to gold. Yet they do not consider that they have made one of the worst if not worst anime called Magical Warfare. They have their share of terrible anime as well. Heck even KyoAni have made terrible anime as well.

Yes A-1 have made terrible anime like any other studio, but they have also made some really good ones. Plus people really need to look at the staff rather than the studio itself.

Edit: Also Digibro has a huge hateboner for A-1 which I do not understand why.

Cornbread78

I wonder how much money A-1 made from SAO?

Hmm, I think they did pretty damn good for theselves and I'm sure they could give 2 shits about what you haters think about SAO.

tee hee hee

I find it funny how people think a studio as large as A-1 Pictures has no talented individuals working there. Regardless of the content they adapt, it's clear from watching a fair share of their stuff made in the last few years that they must employ a lot of skilled artists and producers to keep such a consistent level of quality considering the amount of content they produce in any given year. They may not be among my favorite studios in terms of their output, but I can't help but marvel at their management.

Escaflowne

It's a strange series, like they were trying to make a mech series but attracting a more shojo audience, so they put Hitomi as protagonist, more focus on romance, and if you think about it, they also used a fantasy world to the setting, which is more shojo-friendly (so you have big robots driven by magic rocks and fighting with swords instead of big robots fighting with explosive rounds and lasers).

But Hitomi is a so uninteresting character. She has almost no agency, and it's more the type of character that exists for deus ex machina moments thanks to her powers, to have a outsider/audience perspective and for romantic purposes; she is more a follower of other characters.

The bad guys are not interesting, nor their plans. I can only theorize as I didn't reach far enough, but I have the vague idea that Folken's justification for the Empire conquests and actions seems to be to want to unify all humanity in one Empire so there won't be wars between nations. Which isn't very original.
Speaking of not originality, he has a Darth Vader thing going on, being good before and wanting for his brother to join him in the Empire. He even has also an Emperor figure above him.

Plot wise, it has lots of weak moments, with writing taken from D&D Game of Thrones school of writing. For example, they used basically 'a dozen of good men' to infiltrate the Empire Fortress (many times bigger than theirs), contain the enemy, search and rescue Van, and escape without being followed.

And romance wise is ughh. Hitomi has zero chemistry with all the characters, both Allen and Van. It's all handled in a very pedestrian and clumsy way, with mediocre direction signalling the development in an obvious way, without no hints of subtlety.

I really liked Escaflowne when I first watched it way back then but attempting to go back and re watch it now I'd probably do the same as you and drop it. It hasn't aged very well.

blurr

Here are my impressions of episode three. I failed to mention that the character animation was exceptional, especially the hair. The characters' nerves leading up to the concert were thoroughly conveyed with an uplifting climax. There was good use of silent slow motion, but my one complaint would have to be the unattractive stage lighting.

Yep, the build up and climax were really well done, the episode stands apart from the rest in season 1.

I can understand the intolerance towards Mio but she has a pretty decent development in season 2. Hell, a lot of characters had great moments in that season, just getting excited thinking about it.

Escaflowne

How could you drop it so early, it was so good later on.

I thought they were supposed to make the viewer baffled and dislike Hitomi for going after Allen when Vann is clearly the better choice.

Jintor

tsuredure children 5

stucopres and delinquent are the best

but finally senpai has shown up also! oh my god he's like an undertale character come to life

Name me an anime with a higher density of misunderstandings! Gamers is a true masterpiece.

Though I watch it only for the Tendou bullying.

I feel bad for Uehara in all of this, because he flat out, directly told his girlfriend what was going on and she continues to think he's lying anyway lol

Now that Pop Team Epic was delayed, Winter is really the one season to look forward:

Violet Evergarden PV2

Art direction is quite the letdown imo. Looks now like a typical KyoAni's mass produced anime, competent but somehow pretty boring.

I feel bad for Uehara in all of this, because he flat out, directly told his girlfriend what was going on and she continues to think he's lying anyway lol

This is perfect LN writing. It's like Greek gods are playing with a bunch of Japanese high schoolers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom