• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Goals! |OT| of Mastering Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello GAF! Summer is here!

This is the time of year when a lot of people have more free time because of schools breaks or taking vacations to enjoy the weather, and it's also the time of year where people want to do something new or change something about themselves.

Unfortunately, goals can be set easily, but attaining them is another matter entirely. Often we procrastinate and procrastinate, never getting anything done.

This thread is here to help!

No matter what your goal is, whether it's learning to draw or dropping a few inches around the waist for that trip to the beach, you're more than welcome to share it! I just want this to be a place where we can encourage each other to actually get busy and do something.

These are some Links about procrastination that I pulled straight from Google so that you didn't have to. Give them all a read if you find procrastination really weighs you down.

This is a guide for helping you to stop procrastination.
http://www.studygs.net/attmot3.htm

This is another guide for stopping procrastination.
http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newHTE_96.htm

This is an article on procrastination Goya found for us.
http://lesswrong.com/lw/3w3/how_to_beat_procrastination

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs
This is the Fitness thread. I thought it'd be a good idea to have a link here since a lot of summer goals are going to be fitness related. If you're new to working out or just want some people to bounce ideas off of, give this thread a try.

Procrastination isn't the only enemy we face though. Sometimes we just forget about goals because we haven't yet gotten into the habit of doing them. Things like checking GAF, emails, and Facebook or watching TV or whatever will come first and get in the way of your goals because you do those things everyday. Hopefully this thread can be a gentle reminder that you have something you want to do this summer, and that NOW is as good a time as any to get started.

General Tips
1. Tell people about your goals. This thread is here for that, but doing it face to face with your friends and family sure isn't going to hurt.

2. Set a SPECIFIC GOAL with a clear time frame for meeting it.
Aiming to bench 250 lbs. in two months is better than the undefined working out more.

3. Break larger, abstract goals into smaller goals that lead into your ultimate victory.
Doing one self portrait and one landscape sketch everyday is better than improving your drawing skills.

4. Write your goals down on a piece of paper. Do it as if you were explaining to someone in a letter what your goals are. The idea is really to just get your thoughts on paper. Writing goals down makes you more likely to act on them.

5. Do it. Don't wait for the right time or right feeling to get started. You may never feel like, so just do it now. You want it enough to set it as a goal, so go achieve it.

Wall of Shame
This is gonna fill up soon, maybe.

The List of Jipan Because The Second Post Is Full
Username: Jipan
Types of Goals: dating, self-improvement, social, driving, cooking/eating, internship, major declaration(s) + register for the classes associated with the major(s)
Specific Goals:
1.Go out with at least 1 woman from a dating website such as OKC and POF. After that, I could go for more if I'm feeling good about it and kick it up to 2 (I've never had a girlfriend, never kissed a woman, and I'm a virgin but handing in my v-card is not a priority).
2. Go to at least 3 social events every week. More specifically, if my brothers go out and ask if I want to come along, then do it or if I feel the urge to go outside stop whatever it is that I am doing and do it. Also, talk to people on my friends list on FB via chat even if I have no reason to talk to them and via XBL to a lesser extent. This would also factor into becoming more outgoing.
3. Pay for and take driving lessons so that I could get my license (which isn't mandatory in NYC, but I want to have it just in case).I already have a driving school in mind. The only question is whether I should pay for the 4 driving lessons package ($200) or for the 8 driving lessons package ($300).
4. Apply for internships (which I've already done). It gives me something to do over the summer besides playing games all day and going to the gym in the night.
5. Cook myself 1 meal every weekend so I won't have to order anything, and at least 2meals every day after July 11 because that's when my mother and oldest brother leave on vacation. My older brother will be around, but since he has a girlfriend who is pregnant, works, and spends most of his time at his g.f.'s house, I'm going to have to depend on myself after having my mother cook all the time.
6. Spend less time playing video games which can be over 8 hours straight sessions and more time doing productive things like drawing, and being outside.
7. Declare a major and register for classes. I've been working on that and came to the conclusion that I want to do a double major in Art Studio (because I love to draw) and Latin American Studies so that I could travel to another country that's not my ethnic country and I do speak Spanish fluently so that's a plus.
Updates: Daily/weekly updates depending on the mood and my progress.
Daily Goals? Yes. I know I didn't mention it, but I'm going to the gym at least 3 times a week (4 to get everything in). I've applied for internships and will continue to do so. Send at least 3 messages, 5 messages max to a chick that looks interesting on OKC or POF or any other dating website. Since I have to go outside to go the gym, I'm doing that and I also have to go outside every Friday to see a therapist. Plus I have jury duty near the end of this month and I plan on going out somewhere on my birthday. I've also remaind
Written Out: Yes and in meticulous detail no doubt as you can see. I'm a bit scared that I won't get all of them done as they sound a bit too ambitious, but screw it.
Deadline: Well, there's always internships availble over the summer one so that doesn't really have a deadline. In general howevever I'll say a little bit after the fall semester begins so August 28, 2011 (Su). I also a smaller goal which is to read No-No Boy by John Okada.[/QUOTE]

Alright, maybe this format will be better than a sea of quotes.

Username is your username.
Types of Goals is for categories like fitness, drawing, musical, language, health, or whatever else people can think of for their goals.
Specific Goals? is for if you've set a specific goal or just came with some abstract crap. Yes is good. NO! means you're off to a bad start. Fix it.
Updates is how often you plan to post your progress in the thread. Daily, Weekly, Fortnightly, and Monthly are probably what you want to shoot for. Never, while acceptable, more or less ignores one of the basic reasons for this thread.
Daily Goals? is for if you've got something you can do everyday and you're actually doing it. Yes is good, NO! means you're procrastinating. Stop that! NA will be for goals that don't apply.
Written Out is for if you've written your goal out. No is fine, but Yes is better.
Deadline is your final date you've set to achiever your goal. Everybody needs one of these if you're serious about your goals.

Since I've got a shiny new format, use it if you want to be added. I might feel like converting the first page, but that's unlikely, so just repost with the new format if it wasn't here the first time you posted.

The List of Awesome People

99hertz
Types of Goals - Learning
Specific Goals? Learn some math and programming/computer science by the end of summer.
Updates - Daily or maybe every two days.
Daily Goals? Read at least a chapter or more of a book about Math/CS.
Written Out - No
Deadline - August,20,2011

Ashes1396
Types of Goals: literary.
Specific Goals: I will read every story in this list:
The 50 Best Short Stories of All Time
Updates: Yes. Perhaps not after every story. Who's with me gaf?
Daily Goals: I don't know yet.
Written Out: Yeah, I guess so.
Deadline: August 31st 2011

Attackthebase
Type of Goals: Fitness, self-improvement and learning to save.
Specific goals:
I want to not look super scrawny, gain some muscle. Feel healthier.
I want to acquire a basic grip of Japanese (Rosetta Stone, I hope it does something!), so I can actually begin to import Japanese games.
I also want to start learning to save money, so I can use the extra room at my house as a pure-entrainment center. Maybe increase my hours at my modeling gig ($20 a hour).
Finish some of my backlog; I've finished two games thus far (Radiant Historia and Portal 2).
Most importantly, figure out my god damn major! I am debating whether I should keep my two majors (communication and writing), or transfer to a state school and study Japanese. I am stuck debating my future life. It's a true pain!
And if I am able to, become a little more social and maybe get a girlfriend. But, that's not truly a priority, but it certainly would be nice!
Updates: Weekly
Written: I wrote it out in this thread.
Deadline: August 22nd (by the time I return from Japan).

-Babyteks-
Types of goals: school, writing, fitness, money
Specific Goals: Yes
- Pass my exams and get my Masters (exams next week and thesis to hand in in June)
- Finish the last draft of my novel + get an agent + write at least four scripts + just write write write
- Finish P90X (Phase 1 complete)
- Get job & save money to move to California (live in Paris atm)
Updates: Monthly
Daily goals: Uhm, in a nutshell: don't stop for a minute.
Written out: Yes
Deadline:
1) June
2) September
3) 20 July 2011
4) Leaving on Nov 3rd so that.

bdizzle
Types of Goals: Fitness/Career/Life
Specific Goals? Yes
Updates: Random
Daily Goals? Yes: did half of my workout already, will do the other half after this post. Then will study for my CISSP.
Written Out? Not yet, but that's a goal I'll complete tonight.
Deadline: Dec 31, 2011

Bradlums
Types of Goals: Fitness, Music, Social
Specific Goals:
Get in shape for Cross-Country season
Grow a beard
Get over social anxieties and make a/some new friend(s).
Re-learn the piano, practice guitar and bass more seriously, i.e. practicing scales, writing stuff, learning stuff as opposed to noodling around constantly.
Make some money.
Updates: Once a week
Daily Goals: Run er' day. Play an instrument at least 1 hour er' day. Swim when taking a break from running.
Written Out: No
Deadline: 8/22/11

BroHuffman
Types of Goals: Fitness, Health/Wellness
Specific Goals? I hope to run a half marathon sometime in Oct (whenever Disney does theirs). This is really long term (just as I am really out of shape). My goal for this summer is to be able to start a half marathon training program. Sounds similar, but there is a bit of a distinction.
I've started running (5/4/12) and plan on running 5-7 days a week in order to be able to run 5 miles comfortably. By getting to this goal by around early august, then I can start on a specific half marathon training program.
Doubt I'll do daily updates, but when I remember, I'll post my progress. So far, I'll spend an hour alternating running/walking and go about 3 miles. Just starting with a weight training regiment (3 days a week) today.
Daily Goals? Yes - Run further, longer, or harder than I did the day before. Eat healthier, check labels, grain over white, chicken over steak, etc.
Written Out It's written here. I have a pretty great memory, so I haven't written it anywhere else.
Deadline First deadline is early August. Next one is October.

Buckethead
Goals: Improve bi/tri muscles, tone other areas, & hit goal weight of 190
Daily: Run 7 days/week, Lift 3 days/week, Stick within budget
Specifics: Be consistent w/ Workout program, Restrict intake, limit calories, & low-carb diet
Deadline: September 1st

Chony
Types of Goals: Get a Job in LA/Seattle, Lean up/Get Stronger, Eat Healthier, Learn to Box, Finish editing Novel, Finish writing other Novel, Finish Apps for grad school, see friends more
Specific Goals? Yes
Updates
Daily Goals? Pretty much all of the above
Written Out - Isn't it now?
Deadline - September 1st.

Dark FaZe
Types of Goals - Employment, Discipline, Writing
Specific Goals? - Determine if I can get day shift hours for my current job or transfer to another job that will offer the hours I need. Whenever something comes to mind that I need to do, I do it right then and there if its within reason to develop consistency. Lastly, to finish my scene list and half of those scenes for my novel by the deadline.
Updates - Yes, monthly.
Daily Goals? Daily anti-procrastination within reason but nothing that I can quantify.
Written Out? No, this thread is enough. I don't want to keep making a big deal about my goals, I want to just go out and do them.
Deadline? August 31, 2011.

Darkness
Types of Goals: Employment, photography
Specific Goals: Get a better job and improve my photography.
Updates: Random
Daily Goals: Photograph as many different things as I can
Written Out: Yeah

Dark Phoenix
Types of Goals: Writing, Fitness, Drawing/Painting, Habitual
Specific Goals?: Yes.
Daily Goals?: Yes.
Written Out?: Yes
Deadline: 9/15/11

DMeisterJ
Types of Goals - Fitness, Employment
Specific Goals? - To find a job, and to feel less winded when doing anything athletic
Updates - Whenever I accomplish either goal
Daily Goals? Apply for jobs; Go running or go to the gym an run on a treadmill
Written Out? Nah
Deadline? Before the fall semester starts so late-August-ish

Empty
Types of Goals: Fitness, Literary, Financial, Culinary
Specific Goals?
There's loads i want to do but i think it'll be way more managable and successful if i break it down to four.
With fitness i want to continue to do at least 30 minutes of workout every day. I started this a couple of weeks back when i found a copy of EA Sports Active for the Wii in a bashed up box for £6, and have been using that to a good egree of success since but i want to persist, ramp up the workload, really make it parts of my routine then expand to running regularly and doing pressups+squats while i'm watching tv too.
I feel like i don't read enough books and my attention span is terrible, so i want to try and read at least a book a fortnight to expand my perspective and feel like i've achieved something attention-wise. I have lots of good books left unread or borrowed from my family so this shouldn't be too expensive.
Save money by limiting the buying of new videogames and focusing on my backlog.
I recently became a vegetarian so most of my previous cooking knowledge has been throw out of the window and i'm left with only a few dishes to make. I'm going to try cooking one new dish a week through the summer and develop the ones i like so i get good at them so when i have less time after summer eating can be more fun.
Updates: I'm starting all but the reading and cooking now, with those two when my exams end at the end of the month. Will go for weekly updates.
Daily Goals? Yes. Working out and reading every day.
Written Out: They are now!
Deadline: 15th September

Entropia
Types of Goals: Fitness/health, Career and Relationships.
Specific Goals?: Get a job. Run atleast every other day and doing up to 5k. Go out on a couple of dates.
Updates: Gonna be sending my resume out to a couple nice jobs tomorrow, and I went for a run today for about 2k. The dating thing has to wait till I get a job, because I'll be moving out at that point to somewhere I'll actually be able to meet someone and go out.
Daily Goals?: In between running, do some weights with the dumbells I have here at home. Job wise, just keep checking out the regular sites and seeing if there's any prospects. I check OkCupid every few days to see what's out there but I have to wait till I'm out on my own again.
Written Out: Nope
Deadline: I want a job by the end of June. I want to be able to do a 5k by the end of July. Dating thing is a toss up.

Ermac
Types of Goals: Relationships, Fitness, Travel
Specific Goals?
a) get some definition in my abs, although I am happy with my weight finally
b) Find a girlfriend
c) Travel overseas, or across the coast. I haven't been on a plane in 10 years so this is a big one for me.
d) Get out more, and spend less time gaming
e) Work on music
Updates: Weekly, if I can make time
Daily Goals? Seize every opportunity
Written Out: Yes, and on Evernote so I can keep them with me.
Deadline: August 1st

Etrian Oddity
Types of Goals: Fitness
Specific Goals? To a) lose 20 lbs over summer, or b) visibly become significantly slimmer and lose body fat
Updates: Weekly, if I can make time
Daily Goals? Restrict caloric intake to ~2000-2300, and maintain P90x or do 30 minutes of cardio (jogging)
Written Out: Yes
Deadline: August 13th

Ettie
Types of Goals-Fitness
Specific Goals?-Yes. 1.Lose 15 lbs by July 4. 2. Reduce bodyfat % to less than 20%
Updates: Daily
Daily Goals?-30 mins of cardio, 7 days/week.
Written Out-Yes
Deadline-7/4/11, 7/19/11

GiJoccin
Types of Goals Fitness, studies, cooking, girls
Specific Goals? I want to finally see my six pack, kick ass on step one in June, work on refining cooking techniques, and make it a point to talk to more girls - most immediate goal is limiting my computer time
Updates weekly
Daily Goals? exercise every day, study all day every day until step one (then party), weekly intensive recipes, and introduce myself to two girls every time i go out
Written Out nope (but i will)
Deadline summer's end!

iirate
Types of Goals Fitness, Health, Drawing, Social
Specific Goals? I will complete the Power 90 fitness program, quit soft drinks, practice drawing for a combined 444 hours and have a clear plan to get my school club off the ground for next semester.
Updates daily, beginning May 13
Daily Goals? Yes - 45 minute workout, 4 hours of drawing practice, no soda
Written Out Yes
Deadline August 31, 2011

Killthekampers
Specific Goals? 5 minute miles, 70 pushups and 80 situps and 15 pull ups in 2 minutes
Updates? Weekly
Daily Goals? Yes
Written Out? No
Deadline: Before I leave for Basic Training later this summer (August most likely)

KScorp
Type: Computer Programming
Specific Goal: Finish a simple 3D game engine using C++ and DirectX (Direct3D 10). Bonus points for creating something that plays like a game. Treat myself to cake if I manage to port the thing to OpenGL.
Updates: Weekly minimum. I plan to update whenever I have made significant progress from the previous update, so if things are going good I might manage daily updates on occasion.
Daily Goal: Try to do something which progresses development. 1/2 hour of work per day minimum.
Written Out: No. This early, I'm focusing on basics, so as I learn more I'll write something out and get a better picture of where I want to go.
Deadline: 12/31/11 - Finish the engine. This is the main goal. 8/31/11 - Have very simple movement implemented and be able to somehow interact with the world. (Having a character that can move, run into walls, and jump is one way to fulfill this.)

LaneDS
Types of Goals-Fitness
Specific Goals?-Yes - lose 20lbs by the end of August. 195 -> 175.
Daily Goals?-NA
Written Out-Yes
Deadline-8/31/11

MaestroRyan
Types of Goals - Fitness, Literary, Studies
Specific Goals-
1. Read 20 Books
2. Write for 250 hours
3. Lose 20 pounds
4. Study Metaphysics for 100 hours
5. Study Comparative Politics for 50 hours
6. Read the 50 best short stories
7. Memorize three poems by six poets
8. Memorize 100 GRE Words
Deadline - August 28th

makingmusic476
Types of Goals - Be able to run 4 miles, learn all ~2000 kanji
Specific Goals? - Yes
Daily Goals? - Yes
Written Out - What's to write?
Deadline - September-ish

Mangoverboard
Types of Goals Fitness, Improve my skill set and Social
Specific Goals? Yes
Updates Weekly
Daily Goals? Yes
Written Out Yes
Deadline 31/8/11

Marius_
Types of Goals Fitness, Relationships, Reading, Driver License, Citizenship
Specific Goals? Gain around 15-20 pounds. I been slim my whole life and tired of it.
UpdatesWeekly
Daily Goals? Exercise 1 hour a day and eat enough.
Written OutNo
Deadline August 15

meatpuppet
Types of Goals: Programming, Career
Specific Goals: Learn C#, Implement Word-base puzzle game, Find job
Updates: None yet
Daily Goals? Not as yet
Written Out: Not as yet
Deadline: December

Miletius
Types of Goals: Fitness/Writing(work related)/Scholarship
Specific Goals?: Yes
Updates: Weekly (or as much as I'm able to do so)
Daily Goals?: Not really, no
Deadline: Varies based on goal

Mister_Bubbles
Types of Goals: (A Lot Of) Writing, Journalistic Employment, Inevitable Self-Destruction
Specific Goals:
  1. Build up a modest collection of articles.
  2. Find some websites brave enough to sully their good names by printing my words.
  3. Repeat the previous two steps until somebody says 'Would you like to write for us?'
By the time I've reached the third step, I think it's safe to say that sufficient time will have passed to necessitate laying down some new goals ;)
Updates: Daily. Starting tomorrow, I will outline an article subject and post when it's finished.
Daily Goals: I'll begin by writing an article a day. Get the ol' cogs turning.
Deadline: By the end of summer, I hope to be writing a modest stream of content and making at least a little bit of money.

Mr. Hyde
Types of Goals: Fitness; Health; Social; Creative;Financial; Educational
Specific Goals:
-Health - Practice more yoga and use my inversion table, jump rope, punching bag, and pull-up bar to get back in shape. Also, meditation 15 minutes morning and evening.
-Creative - Practice photography every day to learn better composing and get used to being able to see what I want in the picture, and also learn more lightroom and photoshop. I might also get back into dream journaling.
-Financial - Find a new job and be financially prepared for my radiography program in August.
-Educational - Reading more novels and cutting out the majority of television and also review medical terminology.
-Social - Spend more time with friends and go out places instead of reverting back to my house and the computer.
Updates: Weekly on here but probably quick notes daily in a log.
Deadline: August 28th, 2011

Nighthawk17
Types of Goals:Fitness,Movies,Games,Books,Fun
Specific Goals: Go to the gym,Clear out my gaming backlog, watch the Netflix movies I've listed in my journal, read 15 books, and go outside more.
Updates: Daily/Weekly/Game,Book,Movie Completion
Daily Goals: 2 movies a Day, read at least 3 times a week
Written Out:Yes
Deadline: August 22,2011

QuantumBro
Types of Goals: Fitness/Movies
Specific Goals? Yes
Updates: As often as I can
Daily Goals? Exercise each day and watch a film each day.
Written Out? Yes
Deadline: September for weight loss, no deadline for movie watching
*Lose 20-30 pounds by September
*Watch all of the IMDB's top 250 Movies

Rage Kage
Specific Goals? Yes
Updates: Probably random but hopefully at least weekly
Daily Goals? Yes, I'll be doing P90x, so every day's workout will be a goal.
Written Out? No
Deadline: 90 days of workouts starting May 13th.

ReiGun
Types of Goals: Fitness, Games, Drawing, Movies, Reading, Writing
Specific Goals: Lose at least 15 pounds. Finish at least three of the games in my backlog. Draw one picture a day. Go out and see at least one movie a week (alone is fine, but with a group is preferable). Get through my netflix instant queue. Read at least two books. Write a short story
Daily Goals: A picture a day. Netflix movie a day. Go to the gym at least twice a week.
Deadline: August 29 (when fall semester starts)

Ronito
Types of Goals: Writing
Specific Goals:Write at least 30 entries ("chapters") in my "How to fail at management" manuscript
Updates: Yes.
Daily Goals: I don't know yet.
Written Out: Well yeah but I wont be sharing it with everyone.

scar tissue
Types of Goals-Fitness/Social
Specific Goals?-Yes
Updates-weekly
Daily Goals?-Yes
Written Out-Yes
Deadline-September 30th, 2011

S. L.
Types of Goals for kicks and fun
Specific Goals? motherfucking planche
Updates when i have something presentable
Daily Goals? improve
Written Out in this thread
Deadline end of year or whenever i can do it

Smision
Types of Goals - social, employment/fiscal, educational, health
Specific Goals? Keep up with this reading group that's going to go through Hegel, Kant, Marx. Get a job at a library. Hone my legal research skills. Hit up this girl I've been interested in (she's in the reading group...) Quit smoking or drastically cut back.
Updates - Maybe after June 10th, when i get back from studying abroad in the czech repub.
Daily Goals? Just to not sit it my apartment, which is so easy to do, but easy to break when there's enough out there to do.
Written Out? nah, that's a quick way to hex myself.
Deadline? indeterminate.

Sub_Level
- Go on a date with a girl (currently dated 0 girls)
- Get up to 150 lbs (currently weigh 140)
- Pay off at least $1600 of college debt (currently payed $0)
- Make a map for Half-Life 2 (currently never made a map)
DEADLINE: August 1st

thcsquad
Types of Goals: Fitness, Education, Livecoding/Procedural Art, Game programming, Music creation
Specific Goals?
Fitness: Gain 20 pounds of muscle, run some 5ks
Education: Take the GREs and apply to grad schools. I've studied some, but really need to get on it. I want to take it before the test changes in the fall.
Also, watch all of the 'Great Courses' educational DVDs my parents got me last year. I have half of a Particle Physics course, and all of a Quantum Mechanics plus another physics one, the name of which eludes me right now.
Livecoding: Learn Fluxus and start livecoding, as well as continue my procedural art/graphics processing studies from last year
Game Programming: Have a finished prototype and hopefully a couple iterations of the prototype. Not looking to have a game finished anytime soon, but just a working, fun gameplay slice from which to build on. Also, continue working on Dudebro.
Music: Get an EP's worth of music recorded or produced in some form. I have a tendency to create little ideas that don't go anywhere or form some kind of a whole. There's dozens of these disconnected ideas floating around on paper/hard drives.
Also, perhaps join a band. I was in bands for years from high school up until I moved to Boston last year. Music is missing from my life, big-time. Problem is, I'm very picky with collaborators.
Daily Goals? Not really
Deadline: September 31

urbanscholar
Types of goals fitness, music, health, art, college ,work
specific goals -
1 Improve my long distance training, this will require me to hit the gym everyday or other day. I have to properly pace myself, this involves getting lots of rest.
2 learn guitar - I have to find a set amount of time 30 minutes or a bit more everyday & escape awhile. I would have to find the time before work and or school.
3 practice more drawing - The same as practice the guitar, I would need to do it before or right after the above. I would imagine laying down a quick sketch to the point that I recognize what my mind produces.
4 spend more evening with friends - Essentially ever Friday, I'll call up a buddy and hang out doing whatever.
5 do well with summer classes - Self explanatory. If I need to hide away at the library or somewhere to focus I sure will now.
6 level up more at work - One thing about my job is that everytime I learn something I can always use it to improve my performance. So anything that gets folks to respond better to me will be great.
7 begin on my short story - This will probably be the hardest. I'd have to find the time in between studies to get it started. I have the base in my head.
8 make my love life a little more concrete - I have no real problem I just need to work on my follow through and get results as it were.
9 start caveman diet - Subscribed to the thread here, just need to rig my fridge with the food and let it work its magic. I also have to experiment a bit to see which foods will work out better for my fitness plan.
10 Read more - Be it articles, books, leisure, school, whatever. I just want to know as every week ends, I've read through pages or literature and etc.
Daily goals - Yes
written out- yes
deadline 8-1-11

Warrior_Keoni
Types of Goals Fitness, Health, Social
Specific Goals? Losing 20-30 more lbs in the next 3 months with P90X (cardio), with running 3x a week and eating right
Updates daily: Begins May 23 with workouts recorded into an Excel spreadsheet
Daily Goals? Of course, exercise for a good 1.5 hours each day with one day rest or stretch
Deadline August 23, 2011

Building up my endurance so I can top 4 miles when jogging. Tackling those ~2000 kanji for Japanese. Maybe take up kick-boxing lessons.

Other than that, just keep doing what I'm doing until I graduate in December.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Lose a couple pounds of fat is all I got planned, not even all that necessary.

I'll get to it whenverrr maaaan.

My goals for this summer are learning Calculus I and II and a little Japanese before September. With my newly changed major, I've got some math classes and a foreign language requirement. Learning Calculus is a must. The Japanese is so I don't have to worry about completely embarrassing myself in class.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I plan to be more fit (I'm not over weight at all, but I'm so out of shape), and find a job.

I'll probably not do either though D:

ryan-ts said:
Find an HR job!
Sounds like fun!

catbert3.gif

An-Det

Now with school done I want to mess around with a few new languages. My friend has been bugging me to mess around with Scheme, and I've been wanting to try Ruby on Rails for a while now. Going to have some fun with these.

DMeisterJ said:
I plan to be more fit (I'm not over weight at all, but I'm so out of shape), and find a job.

I'll probably not do either though D:
NOPE! You're getting quoted and going to the second post! Achieve those goals!

makingmusic476 said:
Oh this'll be fun. And you have to make an "in progress/complete" list around September.
Yea, just quoting isn't going to be good enough if people stick with these. I'll change it by tonight.

Bradlums

Great idea for a thread. Love the free time I get during the summer to accomplish stuff.

Major goals: Get in shape for cross country season in the fall, re-learn the piano, and be able to grow facial hair :D
:'(

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I just bought a house with a pool last winter. This is my first year with the pool open.

I have 2 goals.

1. Keep the pool operational and clean.
2. Swim as much as possible for exercise.

Lose 15 pounds
Gain muscle
Pass my CISSP
Pass CCSP (might be pushing it)
Get a new car
Get a new job
Break 6 figures/yr
Gain my 1st client

I hope to God I complete all of it, need to really be serious about this shit because not having this stuff done is really making me pretty fucking depressed and miserable :(

Tenks

spiderman123 said:
I heard about this, actually saw the commercial, how is the regime totally different from PX90?

Insanity is harder for one and all the exercises are self contained to your own body. You don't need a pullup bar or anything. I've done a few disks of it and it is a damn good workout. Although Insanity feels like it is a better cardio workout and P90X will get you more muscle.

Mike.83

I don't have any plans for the summer. Because I work in a school I've got 5 weeks off work, the last few years I've not done anything with that time, and then regretted it, so this summer I jsut want to 'do things' Don't mind what really.

So far I've booked a week away with 6 friends and am finally going to a music festival. Looking forward to seeing what else I get up to.

Tenks said:
Insanity is harder for one and all the exercises are self contained to your own body. You don't need a pullup bar or anything. I've done a few disks of it and it is a damn good workout. Although Insanity feels like it is a better cardio workout and P90X will get you more muscle.

What I need is less cardio( less intensity) and more muscle. I was going to try it after looking at the website but if this is what it entails then I'll stick with PX90 routine.

Alkimia

Neo Member
Getting my driver's license (finally!) and getting in shape to go hiking with my family this summer.

And learning to spell license without having to use spellcheck. :/

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Huh, I thought this was a summer long of mastering our domain.

I dunno that I wold be down for that.

Mike.83 said:
I don't have any plans for the summer. Because I work in a school I've got 5 weeks off work, the last few years I've not done anything with that time, and then regretted it, so this summer I jsut want to 'do things' Don't mind what really.

So far I've booked a week away with 6 friends and am finally going to a music festival. Looking forward to seeing what else I get up to.
This is probably a good thread to give you some ideas. Getting a small daily exercise routine going would probably be good thing. Or maybe you could pick up drawing like some people. Or maybe I new language. Or...

The Lamp

I'm taking University Physics, Calculus II, and English Composition I this summer, and I need to make all A's in those classes, so that's my ultimate goal!

Beyond that is to start doing artwork again, as I haven't had time these past two semesters.

If I have time, possibly try to bulk up with a work-out routine, but that costs so much money and time and food I may not be able to.

7 more lbs to go till i'm 200lbs and should be 10% body fat. and hope to stick there

Get a headstart on learning chinese at my university. Finding a cheap version of rosetta would be nice but no luck so far.

Find a decent girl to date...cincinnati sucks for this

Mike.83

Master Milk said:
This is probably a good thread to give you some ideas. Getting a small daily exercise routine going would probably be good thing. Or maybe you could pick up drawing like some people. Or maybe I new language. Or...

Yeah, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

I plan on getting out and taking some pictures too. My camera is going to waste.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
1. Work on boring research assistant stuff.
2. Exercise.
3. Travel somewhere.
4. Sleep more than eight hours every day.
5. Study economics. In particular, I want to prepare for next semester's classes and carefully read the essential literature in the fields I'm interested in. I also want to come up with ideas for interesting research projects.
6. Study math (you can never know enough math), computer science (my programming skills suck), and chemistry (just for fun).
7. Study a bit for GRE (applying to grad school next year!).

I wholly expect to only accomplish doing #1. :p

Write a short book about 50 pages in length.

Read Don Quixote.

Read The Guns of August.

Publish at least one video game I've been working on on the internet.

Make myself a simple personal website.

Bench 250.

Learn to play Claire de Lune from start to finish (HARD!). <- most important goal, though.

spiderman123 said:
What I need is less cardio( less intensity) and more muscle. I was going to try it after looking at the website but if this is what it entails then I'll stick with PX90 routine.

Get a gym membership and start doing Starting Strength or SL5x5 or any other variation of those programs.

ShaneB

Know it helps to write down your goals, and it certainly helps to let other people know so you can push yourself, so I'll add to this thread.

Keep up with going to the Gym, 4 times a week. Have made huge improvements over the winter, and want to keep that up.

Keep eating healthy.

Enjoy the summer, be excited to get to the beach and show off my new body and be proud!

Move into a new apartment with a nice balcony.

totowhoa

Banned
I drink too much. I Just quit smoking. I told myself if I could quit smoking, then I can do anything, and that I would spend this summer doing just what this thread is speaking of.

Booze: Once a week, that's all, and it never needs to be more than that.

I have a number of other things as well, but I'm tackling them one at a time. After I'm comfortable with the booze and it feels semi-habitual (two weeks or so for me), I'm going to tack on some regular form of exercise. After that, I'm not sure... probably going to get some house projects done and pick my pencil/paintbrush back up and exercise a healthy hobby. In general I want to be super productive, and I think this is very possible if I don't have a 12 pack sitting around that I feel like I need to finish up almost every day.

Also, GAF limit. I will consider this. One or two hours a day, perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom