• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

sunsetoverdriveot4-fi4irp2.png

storybqpu5.png

The year is 2027 and Fizzo has just launched their newest energy drink OverCharge Delirium X in Sunset City; thing is it turns folk into monstrous mutants after they drink it. Sunset Overdrive puts you in control a character of your design 17 days after the disaster has begun in a quest to save the city using high speed traversal and an insane arsenal of weapons!

charactersidrrs.png

Not everyone in the city is trying to kill you, there are still some friendly faces left in town who you will join up with to survive the chaos of monsters, looters and robots. You have folk like Floyd, an ex-Fizzco scientist, who will be able to help you create amps or Walter who saves you from the horde of OD and teaches you how to fight for yourself.​

enemiesceqdh.png

scabsgwpvy.png

The Scabs are groups of degenerates that are out there to loot and pillage what’s left in Sunset City after the devastation that has struck. They will attempt to use more conventional weapons against you in combat and are considered less of a threat then the other thing lurking in the city.

fizzcookrzv.png

A series of machines dispatched into Sunset City as part of Fizzco’s plan to cover up their involvement in creating the drink that has turned ruined the city. That plan involves killing everyone left alive in Sunset City.

odlkqzc.png

Monsters created from the citizens of Sunset City who were unfortunate enough to consume some of Fizzco’s Delirium XT Energy Drink. These creatures may come in many different shapes and sizes but all share one thing in common, they all hunger for more Overcharge and will do anything to get it.​

featuresmppyz.png

customizationl8onh.png

Want to play as a girl or a guy? Sure, no problem. Body types and races are options as well. As you play the game you will come across different clothing lines that you are going to mix and match to best suit your own apocalypse style. There is no limit on how you can customise your character either. Have a big guy you want to put a cute dress on? What about adding that bushy beard to a female character? Go for it - the game won't stop you!

chaossquad6gos3.png

This is Sunset Overdrive’s 8 player co-op multiplayer mode. In Chaos Squad you take your campaign character into a multiplayer match with up to 7 other players and partake in a series of tasks in the open world of varying levels of “Chaos”. Once those missions have completed you and the rest of your squad must partake in a wave based survival mode where the difficulty and potential rewards for succeeding the mission are based on the Chaos Level of the missions you had completed earlier. Any gear or weapons earned will follow you back into your single player world once the mission is over!

traversalpyrvv.png

Getting around Sunset City is one of the tenants of Sunset Overdrive. Whether your character is grinding (or hanging!) on rails, running on the sides of building or jumping on “bouncy” things in the environment you have many different ways to get around the city with more abilities opening up over time such as the ability to glide through the air for short periods of time.

stylemetergtp0s.png

While doing traversal and combat you will be adding points to your style meter. Filling the combo meter up will allow you to begin using your amps in the following order. Essentially, the better you move and fight the more powerful you will be. If you stop traversing or killing enemies, your style meter will decrease, and eventually those amps will deactivate.

Level 1 - Vanity, Character and Melee Amps
Level 2 - Weapon Amps
Level 3 - Epic Amps
Max Level - All the active amps become more effective

ampsltqbm.png

So what are amps then? Amps are a system that allows you to customise the way you want to play Sunset Overdrive. You have 5 different slots for amps that you can take with you into the game at any given time, 4 for your character, one per weapon. Vanity amps are cosmetic changes like a trail of wind that follows your character. Character amps will. Melee and Weapon amps will add modifiers to existing weapons like a tornado that trails your melee attacks or a chance at a nuclear explosions while firing a gun. Epic amps can cause flames to shoot out of jump pads after you use them or other wondrous things.

overdrivesvpowc.png

These are more traditional stat modifiers than Amps. Instead of requiring you to hit minimum levels of the style meter overdrives are passive changes to your character that can modify damage resistances, how fast your style meter increases/decreases etc.​

weaponstqprq.png

In Insomniac tradition you are going to get your hands on some insane weaponry in Sunset Overdrive. Either melee or ranged you are going to uncover some pretty crazy hardware. Here are a couple of the highlights.

weapone7p3k.png
weapon2gfpno.png
weapon3p2qh6.png
weapon4hqr9y.png

Captain Ahab is a harpoon gun that has cans of overcharge strapped to it that will draw the OD to it for an easy group kill.

TNT Teddy is a weapon that launches teddy bears strapped to dynamite. Perfectly hitting a group of enemies with one create a bear shaped explosion

High Fidelity launches explosive vinyl records that will ricochet off the environment to cause more damage.

The Roman Candle handgun is exactly what it sounds like; launch all the fireworks you could ever want with just a pull of the trigger.

mediagergx.png

screenshotsbgp6p.png

videosx8rmx.png

editionssyov4.png

consolebundlezyrsa.png

en-intl-l-microsoft-wh8ojd.png

・Cirrus White console and controller
・Sunset Overdrive game download
・Day One Edition in-game content

digitalreg65rlw.png

・Game
digitalplus34qwn.png

・Game
・Season pass.

seasonpasswnrtb.png

・Two campaign Game Add-ons that each deliver new locations to explore, stories to experience, and bosses to battle. Each of these Add-ons also includes new weapons, new Amps, a new Trap, new character outfits as well as new challenges and Chaos Squad* objectives!
・The Weapons Pack Game Add-on, which includes four deadly new weapons to augment your arsenal!
・BONUS – six character outfits, two Amps and two Traps to use as soon as the game is released
・$20​

reviews1xr5x.png

Polygon: 9
As a collection of mechanics and ideas, Sunset Overdrive is an impressive evolution of things Insomniac has been doing for a long time. Every part of Sunset Overdrive hooks into every other part somehow, and often in multiple ways, and it makes the whole shooting, grinding, wall-running package better for it. But the best thing about Sunset Overdrive is how it's unabashedly enthusiastic about what it is, in just about every way. That enthusiasm, and the freedom behind it, is contagious.

Wired
Finally, a Reason to Buy Xbox One

Game informer: 9.25
Outside of the mission monotony, Sunset Overdrive is an immensely rewarding experience that has a look and style all its own and a great gameplay package to complement it. It’s a colorful return to form for Insomniac games, and a hell of an exclusive for Xbox One.

Gamespot: 8
Insomniac Games has crafted an excellent game in Sunset Overdrive. It's not without a few niggling issues, but you'll be too busy enjoying yourself to care. You can compare it to games like Crackdown, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and Ratchet and Clank, but by combining the best elements of those games into a single package and injecting it with an anything goes, rock and roll attitude, you'll never think of it as anything but a singular achievement that stands tall on its own merits. It's one of the best games on the Xbox One, and a refreshing shot of merriment.

Special thanks to Andrew McCluskey for the font and Surface of Me for coming up with the OT title.

RoKKeR

Oh damn, yes! Nice OT, love the title.

Will be picking up the game Wednesday as it stands currently, looking forward to it. Hope it does well for Insomniac, must feel great for them coming off of Fuse.

i bought a One during the summer just for this game. wish i had a midnight release in my area. Sorry OP. still on a media blackout, but im sure your OT looks good.

Ecto311

Trading ghosts and titanfall for this. Never thought I would but all the videos and reviews have me thinking this might be a ton of fun where the other 2 games are not. Plus halo and destiny have my shooter itch scratched for the next 6 months I hope. Getting it at best buy unless there are better deals with trades and gamer club than what I am looking at.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm not picking this up at launch (busy with other games right now), but this game looks like a joy to play and I'll be picking it up sometime down the road!

Amazing OT by the way!

nbraun80

Beautiful OT.

Also did MS change their proload policy? Destiny unlocked at 1201 pacific time, but this and mater chief say they unlock 1201 eastern. If so that's awesome. :)

rrc1594

I'm going to try make dayman now!

Beautiful OT.

Also did MS change their proload policy? Destiny unlocked at 1201 pacific time, but this and mater chief say they unlock 1201 eastern. If so that's awesome. :)

I think it's for games they own and publish since they have more control over it

Top Bottom