• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive runs at 30 fps/900p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

"you can go there"

too soon

this game looks great

I hate the whole "is you can see it you can go there" thing. It's never true. Never. Even in something like Skyrim where it is mostly true you still have boundaries at the worlds end preventing you from going where the game doesn't want you to go (even though the game does have very low detail modelling of almost the entire world).

Destiny with it's "we could go there, it's all modelled *throws grenade to show collision* but we don't have time" and in game it's just an instant death pit that is actually locked off after the first mission.

Still looking forward to this game and I can tell I'll still have fun with this but the whole "go anywhere" thing, unless the entire game world is on an island, is always bullshit.
Disappointed about the 30/900p thing but eh, what are you gonna do, it's an Xbone game.

The inverse-squared principle, applied to optical information, isn't bullshit.

Well it does not taken in the fact that lower spatial resolution leads to more obvious temporal aliasing7flickering. Which is super obvious even if you are further away from the screen.

Once again, comparing the pixels of a movie vs. comparing the pixels from rasterized graphics should not be done.

That graph holds the truth perhaps for a still imagine that is perfectly anti-aliased, but not for a moving flickery image.

totally fine as long as they eliminate screen tearing

this was the third must have game for me I wanted that made me justify & buy an xbox one.

jem0208

That graph is bullshit.

This particular graph may be bullshit. However the concept is completely valid.

The further you get from the screen, the less detail you can see and as such higher resolutions aren't necessary.

Opposite is true for screen size as shown.

In my case the difference between 900p and 1080p is almost negligible and only noticeable in a direct comparison.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question:

Is it possible to tell the difference between 900p and 1080p in a living room setting?

Personally I couldn't tell you if one game is 1080 and the other in 900 unless I had two images side by side. In motion I find the difference to be pretty negligible.

There is a noticeable difference between 900 and 1080p, eg my laptop often has to runs games in 900p vs 1080 and I notice a difference on that. I also was surprised that I could tell the difference with PS4 and AC4 pre and post 1080p patch.

Its noticeable but not a night and day difference. Having both consoles. I'll always take a 1080p PS4 game over 900p xbox one game but its not a big quality difference.

Dead rising 3 is my favorite game on my xbox one, and thats 720p I believe!

glottis8

Banned
whaaaaaa?

so its official now... any xbone game even if its exclusive will be expected to do 30fps at 900p.

my buddy just said "xbone should be renamed to Xbox 900p". couldn't agree more.

I hope they port it to pc.

Freeman

Banned
This particular graph may be bullshit. However the concept is completely valid.

The further you get from the screen, the less detail you can see and as such higher resolutions aren't necessary.

Opposite is true for screen size as shown.

In my case the difference between 900p and 1080p is almost negligible and only noticeable in a direct comparison.
No way it is negligible, I don't get why people keep repeating this.

The further you sit from the screen the less resolution you need, just as if you close your eyes you don't even need a screen.

This is the game that has forced me to get an Xbox One.

Can't wait to pick this up at the store!
en-INTL-L-Microsoft-White-XboxOne-Sunset-Overdrived-Themed-Console-Bundle-RM2-mnco.png

I ended up buying an xbox one for this game as well. Kind of excited about it finally launching. :)

Syrus

Banned
whaaaaaa?

so its official now... any xbone game even if its exclusive will be expected to do 30fps at 900p.

...sigh, forza 5 , Horizon 2 , Halo MCC says hi

Not gonna lie, I'm a little disappointed it's not 1080p. The world looks gorgeous, I think a 1080p native res would have done complemented it nicely.

Oh well, day one regardless.

Gestault

Well it does not taken in the fact that lower spatial resolution leads to more obvious temporal aliasing7flickering. Which is super obvious even if you are further away from the screen.

Once again, comparing the pixels of a movie vs. comparing the pixels from rasterized graphics should not be done.

That graph holds the truth perhaps for a still imagine that is perfectly anti-aliased, but not for a moving flickery image.

It applies to all optical information. It's a property of light. If there are obvious artifacts in the image they will certainly be conveyed from the source, but you're talking about tangential specifics to counterpoint a general principle. I responded to someone saying the graph was bullshit, and I gave the specific scientific principle that contradicted that assertion.

whaaaaaa?

There is absolutely nothing saying this is the "official" resolution for Xbox one games in the future.

jem0208

No way it is negligible, I don't get why people keep repeating this.

The further you sit from the screen the less resolution you need, just as if you close your eyes you don't even need a screen.

I'm saying personally the difference is almost negligible. I can see it when looking at two images side by side however in motion I wouldn't see a difference. It certainly doesn't impact my enjoyment of a game.

whaaaaaa?

Sure, if you ignore all the games where this isn't the case. Forza Horizon 2 is 1080p 30fps and is absolutely gorgeous.

H2A multiplayer will be 1080p 60fps.

Forza 5 is 1080p 60fps.

whaaaaaa?

I'll be surprised if you make it to member here

As someone who couldn't tell the difference between the beta and retail versions of destiny I'm more than okay with this
until I get a bigger tv

Fracas

#fuckonami
This is one of the games where the art style more than carries any technical imperfections.

I'm really psyched for this, can't wait til launch.

Yeah dead rising 3 is my favorite Xbox One game and its 720p.

It is a bit of surprise given the simple graphical style, but 900p is fine. This is my most anticipated Xbox One game coming out this year for me (and getting FH2 and Halo MCC).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
whaaaaaa?

Troll much?

It applies to all optical information. It's a property of light. If there are obvious artifacts in the image they will certainly be conveyed from the source, but you're talking about tangential specifics to counterpoint a general principle. I responded to someone saying the graph was bullshit, and I gave the specific scientific principle that contradicted that assertion.

I agree with your point (it is obvious), but the reduced optical information due to aliasing is different between 2 images of diffrent original information.

Or no?

I would really like one of these devs to say the game is 1080p when it's really a lower resolution, see how many people actually notice.

The Killzone effect.

Is this another one of those 'I can't tell the difference, so I doubt anyone else can' posts?

And I remember plenty of people saying the IQ of the MP wasn't as good as the SP, we just didn't know why due to us being told it was 1080p native. There was an immediate difference, though, after going directly from the SP to the MP.

I didn't notice a difference with the retail version of Destiny either. Maybe it's because the TV I game on is only 42"?

I have a 42 inch too. It just depends on the person. Some people are more sensitive to it than others, simple as that.

I do not have Xbox One. I would get this game if I had one. As long as the frame rate is consistent, I do not mind 900p. Game looks fun. After the dark tone of resistance series, I am happy they went with the lighter one for Sunset Overdrive.

Still a little upset by the fact Insomniac did not make this game for PS4 given their long association with Sony :-(

People might say Bungie did the same for Microsoft but atleast Destiny was on Xbox consoles.

Oh well.

jpax

I do not think that it will be locked 30 fps. There is just no way they can balance it. Well maybe the can, lets hope.

pixlexic

Banned
whaaaaaa?

Hmm trolling, fud, and port beg all in one post.

People keep mentioning a "locked" framerate. What does that mean? I know you can cap it, but how would you lock it?

If I remember correctly, you have to be able to run a game above the target resolution consistently in order to then be able lock it at the target framerate. But don't quote me on that.

Looks great, don't have a problem with 900p. Hope framerate is locked...you are constantly moving in this game so if there are hiccups...the experience will be not as good.

omonimo

Banned
I'm saying personally the difference is almost negligible. I can see it when looking at two images side by side however in motion I wouldn't see a difference. It certainly doesn't impact my enjoyment of a game.

Sure, if you ignore all the games where this isn't the case. Forza Horizon 2 is 1080p 30fps and is absolutely gorgeous.

H2A multiplayer will be 1080p 60fps.

Forza 5 is 1080p 60fps
I'm not defending his post, but I though was quite know from awhile that xbone can't handle 1080p game without big compromises. Not sure why he is shocked or why you try to defend the hardware using opinable example (1080p games exist on ps360 too at this point). Old news however.

Alchemy

Thats cool, as long as the game is fun. I already knew that the Xbone I bought was never going to match my PS4 visually. People just need to accept the Xbone is weaker and move on, then maybe we will stop caring about the weird sub-1080p resolutions that games end up being on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom