• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive runs at 30 fps/900p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
Yes, but that objective point doesn't actually mean anything if the subjective thing that matters most is the whole point of the product in question. No one buys anything for its resolution, but they do for its entertainment value.

Actually people by Blu-rays for their resolution as opposed to DVDs. If there was a choice with this game to play it at 1080p, every person who knew about it would obviously pick that choice.

You're complaining about something that isn't relevant to the thread. I agree that how fun a game is is more important than the resolution it runs at. But look at the title of the thread.

Sakura

because I'm not going to sit 3 inches from my screen and count pixels? I just wonder if it something that is actually noticeable or just message board fodder.

What would the difference look like? Does a 900p resolution create artifacts/blurriness etc?

It's certainly noticeable but it's not like 900p is awful or anything.
The framerate could potentially be more of an issue than the resolution, if it can't stay locked at 30.

Gestault

Yes, but that objective point doesn't actually mean anything if the subjective thing that matters most is the whole point of the product in question. No one buys anything for its resolution, but they do for its entertainment value.

Not that I disagree in principle, but you're off-topic for a thread discussing the technical aspects of a game.

I would really like one of these devs to say the game is 1080p when it's really a lower resolution, see how many people actually notice.

The Killzone effect.

Dragon

Banned
I would really like one of these devs to say the game is 1080p when it's really a lower resolution, see how many people actually notice.

The Killzone effect.

When you say people you mean GAF right? Because Digital Foundry would make an article and there would be a shitstorm.

Actually people by Blu-rays for their resolution as opposed to DVDs. If there was a choice with this game to play it at 1080p, every person who knew about it would obviously pick that choice.

You're complaining about something that isn't relevant to the thread. I agree that how fun a game is is more important than the resolution it runs at. But look at the title of the thread.

I have over a hundred Blu Rays, and I love the high resolution of the video, but I only ever bought them because of the movies they are. It's one thing to value a quality standard, but that's not much on its own. I was originally posting in reply to specific post made, not just throwing stuff in here without reason. Someone replied to my reply, and so it went.

Silky

Banned
"Insomniac."
"30 FPS"

It's still weird. =x

I'm /pretty/ sure all of the Resistance games were 30fps with vsync. Insomniac is no stranger to 30fps.

Unless you're one of those weird people who refuse to accept that series' existence.

E92 M3

I hope they have a demo of this game. I am almost sold, but need to feel how the controls feel. Demos sell me a lot on games.

Quotient

Then why are you in a thread discussing the technical aspects of the game, mainly resolution and framerate.

Gestault

When you say people you mean GAF right? Because Digital Foundry would make an article and there would be a shitstorm.

I think they meant people, as in the audiences of the game. The fact that something like Digital Foundry is novel enough to exist is almost evidence of that in itself.

Sakura

DF would find out, but guranteed most people wouldn't notice.
Depends on the resolutions we are talking about.
If it is 900p and 1080p, then the average person might not notice, but that's because it is an exclusive and they don't have another version to compare it to.
But you let a regular dude play two versions of a game, one 900p, one 1080p, then ask him which looks better without telling him anything about the resolutions, and I'm sure he will be able to say which one looks better.
For 720p to 1080p it is much easier for even the average person to be able to tell.

Then why are you in a thread discussing the technical aspects of the game, mainly resolution and framerate.

What's to discuss that hasn't been in a previous thread about the same subject or this one where I did in fact post about things relating to its metrics in addition to the things it does with them. I wasn't in here trying to push against the tide of technical discussion (of which there seems to be none, really), but I did spend many posts replying to people replying to my posts. Like yours. It seems like a good choice of specs they've decided upon given the hardware and the things the game prioritizes, and they seem confident about it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm /pretty/ sure all of the Resistance games were 30fps with vsync. Insomniac is no stranger to 30fps.

Unless you're one of those weird people who refuse to accept that series' existence.

Resistance what now?

Even third-party exclusive games made by talented studios have it hard on the console.

I hope everyone eventually gets around to making 1080p60 games easily on it.

Blobbers

Besides, PS4-only/X1-hating folks have to win some kind of argument to make themselves feel good about living with their decisions with home entertainment products.

Are you saying there's a legion of PS4 users lurking somewhere within GAF with buyer's remorse so high it's fueling hatred towards the XBone community which results in reckless and baseless lashing out at every opportunity?

Damn, that would be quite a problem.

If true of course :x

This is the game that has forced me to get an Xbox One.

Can't wait to pick this up at the store!
en-INTL-L-Microsoft-White-XboxOne-Sunset-Overdrived-Themed-Console-Bundle-RM2-mnco.png

Gestault

Easier to tell a 900p game than what Killzone multiplayer did which was interlaced. People would notice.

I dunno, the alpha effects and close-to-mid range objects with any sort of lateral camera movement had the interlacing effect. I thought that was clear from the first time in multiplayer (though this was after the patch that lessened the soft look from their AA/motion blur implementation). Standing still looking at a scene though, you're right it was impossible to tell the difference. It was a really clever solution to the performance challenge, not to mention it being right at launch.

Hubble

900p doesn't deter the fact that this game's art style is most creative and colorful imo than any game this year. The art, comic book effects, particles of weapons, etc., look fantastic.

I played an entire generation in mostly sub HD with an HD TV. I'm happy with anything 720p+.

Game looks gorgeous and I'm hoping the game play holds up to the aesthetics.

Still plays great from what I experience so not worried about that one bit, the least lacking part was the visuals didn't even notice anything about the resolution not being 1080p lol looks the same to me.

Nzyme32

As usual I'm not seeing much point in the complaints about this. Sure it isn't ideal resolution and fps, but the game isn't available anywhere else (yet) and is on a system already known to have had similar issues due to its performance capabilities in particular games, so much so that such news just isn't massively unexpected.

.la1n

I thought 1 & 2 were 60fps but 3 hit after they decided they weren't striving for 60fps anymore and looked significantly better as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom