• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 10: Frienders Support Straight Shota

demidar

Good news frienders!
After one ep... I can't say I hate HxH. I actually rather enjoyed it. Again, nothing special, but it was okay. Like Tiger and Bunny, likeable characters, decent animation and writing.
I have to say that ender is something else though. Lol, this cutesy shonen headed up with screaming heavy metal like it's death note or something.

Right now, I'm more interested in T&B, but I can see myself sneaking in some eps of HxH here and there.
Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Yes, both of my recommendations are working!

I would put HxH above Tiger and Bunny (it hits it stride later, but since you enjoyed the first episode it'll get even better for you), but I do think you should finish Tiger and Bunny first since that's short and done.

tumblr_nhnj9fupuw1s897f9o1_1280.gif

Psycho Break Matt and Pat

Source

So recently Beloved and I have been sharing a copy of FF8 and playing it, it is her first time and I have been giving her tips whenever it might be necessary,

The steam version of FF8 that came out awhile ago has the "Magic Booster" in the launcher.

What this does is add a selection of low-mid range spells to your characters to help you out. Now the issue here is, it will set only these spells to 100, it won't set any other spells or affect their amount. I understand the reasoning behind this feature, grinding/drawing magic in FF8 takes forever and it is tedious and terrible, so they wanted to market this as a way to get around that for the casual player that may not want to spend 8 hours refining and drawing magic.

That is a perfectly fine idea, the game is ancient after all.

My opinion is though that having it work this way is silly, let's take a new player, they use this feature, they see the magic it gives them and at best they have a basic understanding of Junctioning, they think "Awesome, got all this magic" and away they go, these are very useful spells early on but towards the middle of the game it'll be a different story.

So they're at a point , lets say near disk 3,where the game is starting to get more hectic and battles are becoming tedious because they've been leveling and using the same magic forever, at that point they either get tired and quit, or they start looking into how they go about drawing/refining good spells.

By now, during the story it is not the best time for someone to realize they need to put a bunch of hours to find this better stuff when they've had such an easy ride, their experience comes to a dead stop and they're now "strandard" in the water if you will.

So, I posted in the FF8 steam discussions that it would have made more sense if the magic booster didn't give you any spells per say, but would set the ones you have already to 100.

What this would mean is that the new player is still saved from the tedium of spending hours drawing/refining magic, but there is still a need for them to care/learn about the different mechanics in the game, so that they are use to it and will not get a rude shock half way through the game, the argument here is "That would mean getting 100 ultima on everyone would be pretty easy" That is indeed what it would mean, but then again it doesn't really matter when this version of the game has multiple "Win buttons" such as battle assist and "9999 mode".

Anyway, that's what I was on about and basically the comments were people not actually reading what I said and assuming I was just bad at the game or something.

I'm use to people being dumb, but then again ranting about dumb things is what I do.

Did she get to play Triple Triad yet though?

Shackzam

God speed to you soldier.

I shall see you there in a week...

From my computer desk in my pajama pants because online classes are godlike..except on Tuesdays.

I start school next week as well. Got cal 2 and the other 3 are art classes. Only go to class Monday through Thursday. Never took an online class, but feel like I would just fall into procrastinating a lot.

If your complaining about that RPG time, your gonna have a blast with P3/P4

Did you ever finish the
Abandon Factory optional dungeon? The origin of the demons there is super hype.
Oh no I wasn't complaining, I was just saying that shit was long compared to 1. And no I never went into door 6, I got locked into the last dungeon
Psycho Break Matt and Pat

Source
Yo that's sick. glowing is a nice touch

Good news frienders!
After one ep... I can't say I hate HxH. I actually rather enjoyed it. Again, nothing special, but it was okay. Like Tiger and Bunny, likeable characters, decent animation and writing.
I have to say that ender is something else though. Lol, this cutesy shonen headed up with screaming heavy metal like it's death note or something.

lol

I start school next week as well. Got cal 2 and the other 3 are art classes. Only go to class Monday through Thursday. Never took an online class, but feel like I would just fall into procrastinating a lot.

You just gotta schedule out your work and half enough self discipline to actually not procrastinate. It pays off in freedom and being able to do the work literally whenever you want as long as it's done by the end of the week.

I'm taking one math class and then a Database Design class,a XML class, and a Networking class.

She has played a couple of times but I don't really think it's quite her thing really, she rather get on with the story and fighting.
First person ever to say they like FF8 for the gameplay lol

Oh no I wasn't complaining, I was just saying that shit was long compared to 1. And no I never went into door 6, I got locked into the last dungeon
Told ya you should have got good and rotate your saves.
If you went through door 5 in the door 1 room. It tells you that the workers never even heard of the executive room. So much hype in door 6! Man its a pretty good optional dungeon.

Well I sent him a PM and now I feel kinda gross.
You misspelled my username or something, cause I totally didn't get that. The one L thing is kinda confusing.

Anyway, I didn't buy the gift copy back then because you didn't accept my friend request on steam, and I was waiting to send it to you immediately since gift inventory was barely accessible, and the one I had in there was inaccessible. Long story short I don't have a copy lying around now. I'll buy it for you full price if you send me your computer specs so I know you can play it though.

You misspelled my username or something, cause I totally didn't get that.

Anyway, I didn't buy the gift copy back then because you didn't accept my friend request on steam, and I was waiting to send it to you immediately since gift inventory was barely accessible, and the one I had in there was inaccessible. Long story short I don't have a copy lying around now. I'll buy it for you full price if you send me your computer specs so I know you can play it though.
Nah at the time since it was on sale I felt ok about it but since its full price again id feel bad about you buying it for me when I dont even have a computer right now.

Nah at the time since it was on sale I felt ok about it but since its full price again id feel bad about you buying it for me when I dont even have a computer right now.
My only reservation was making sure you could eventually play it. Just tell the thread when you have a PC, I'll do something then.
[

You just gotta schedule out your work and half enough self discipline to actually not procrastinate. It pays off in freedom and being able to do the work literally whenever you want as long as it's done by the end of the week.
I did the opposite, fucked around then rushed last minute.
Told ya you should have got good and rotate your saves.
If you went through door 5 in the door 1 room. It tells you that the workers never even heard of the executive room. So much hype in door 6! Man its a pretty good optional dungeon.
Oh yeah I had read that part, I think there might be a way to get out.
I figured they started showing up because the dude made up the story about the factory under the factory

Change your username! One L is too hard!
The actual story behind this is that I wanted two Ls as a kid for my email account, but the name was taken, so I just took one off. As for why I kept it that way for the past 9+ years

I dunno. Also having a typo for a name kinda hurts me now.

Mmmm, them crazy eyes.
I know right? That is literally the sexiest expression ever..

I love FF8's gameplay in concept, in practice it's broken as fuck (I'm okay with that), but with refinement and polish it could have been something really cool.
In concept it's fantastic, if they didn't rush the shit out of the game and actually fine tuned it..they may have had another FF7, but nooo..gotta ride off those coat tails..
I did the opposite, fucked around then rushed last minute.

Oh yeah I had read that part, I think there might be a way to get out.
I figured they started showing up because the dude made up the story about the factory under the factory
You can't do that man. I usually commit days to work and days that I have off. Works well that way.

Best Antagonist in HxH in my opinion.
She got wrecked so hard, it was great, everything from her birth to death was fantastic

Hisoka is really far up there, but considering (HxH spoilers)
They haven't done as much with his character as Pitou (as in he hasn't reached his peak in villainry like Pitou has) definitely makes Pitou the best villain of HxH so far, and one of the best female antagonists in anime or any medium.

You know im barely realizing it but I really like how most of Xenogears world minus Shevat and Solaris are pretty normal fantasy places, like places youd see in classic FF, but there are giant mechs everywhere.

Xiraiya

I know right? That is literally the sexiest expression ever..

In concept it's fantastic, if they didn't rush the shit out of the game and actually fine tuned it..they may have had another FF7, but nooo..gotta ride off those coat tails..
As someone who was given the games and played both FF7 and FF8 for the very first time on the same day about 14 years ago, FF7 just did not hook me, and I really had to force myself to keep playing more than 20 minutes of it, but when I booted up 8 and got into it and ran around and saw the setting and all that stuff, hooked instantly.

It really is my favorite Final Fantasy, bullshit story, gameplay flaws and all. It's like deadly premonition for me, I can't explain it, it just has a certain something.

ultimax

Xiraiya

Hisoka is really far up there, but considering (HxH spoilers)
They haven't done as much with his character as Pitou (as in he hasn't reached his peak in villainry like Pitou has) definitely makes Pitou the best villain of HxH so far, and one of the best female antagonists in anime or any medium.
Hysoka is great, but
Over time I've come to see him as more of an antihero than a straight up villain, even with him being as fucked up as he is.

As someone who was given the games and played both FF7 and FF8 for the very first time on the same day about 14 years ago, FF7 just did not hook me, and I really had to force myself to keep playing more than 20 minutes of it, but when I booted up 8 and got into it and ran around and saw the setting and all that stuff, hooked instantly.

It really is my favorite Final Fantasy, bullshit story, gameplay flaws and all. It's like deadly premonition for me, I can't explain it, it just has a certain something.

You're not the first person that has told me that actually. I think FF8 is the better game in the sense of story pacing because it gets interesting right away. FF7 has that really slow burn going for it.

Chrono Trigger is still best JRPG tho :p

Everyone needs to start replying to me with pictures instead of words so I can understand them easier
Abu is slowly evolving into Rage.

Top Bottom