• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Village

He was super homophobic towards Kanji not only in his dungeon but throughout the game, and there isn't a long discussion about tropes just that being a creep isn't a positive thing.
It actually is, this weird trope enduced cognative dissonace is a thing to be discussed. Because like you I also don't think creeping on girls is a positive character trait. But I also don't think that's even a character trait. It was used as a fall back to fill a void in character. Instead off writing an interesting other side to this guy they went "he will be the perv" and just left it there. I think the reason why he ranks so highly is because people excize that shit from their mind, espically when at least they feel that addition trope doesn't serve that character at all. An example would be... fittingly enough jiraya from naruto he's everyone and their moms favorite is also a super creep who writes erotic fiction the latter didn't need to be apart of his character, its just a old creep trope. This is a discussion that comes to how people choose to absorb chaacters how they feel the characters should be taken. The people voting for yosuke number one seem to have taken the yosuke negatives as bad writing, and marie as just bad character.

As for the homophobia I hit the google and now I do remember, I will say this yosuke seems to have grown up in an area and situation where his exposure to other types of sexuality has been very little. So some of that I am willing to jot down as youthful stupidity. This isn't an excuse for his actions he is very incorrect however I am willing to belive due to the age of the characters location theming, that yosuke might learn not to do that in that future. I remember seeing something saying that yosuke was going to be a homosexual romantic option at some point. That may have redeamed his character some more in that frong

It actually is, this weird trope enduced cognative dissonace is a thing to be discussed. Because like you I also don't think creeping on girls is a positive character trait. But I also don't think that's even a character trait. It was used as a fall back to fill a void in character. Instead off writing an interesting other side to this guy they went "he will be the perv" and just left it there. I think the reason why he ranks so highly is because people excize that shit from their mind, espically when at least they feel that addition trope doesn't serve that character at all. An example would be... fittingly enough jiraya from naruto he's everyone and their moms favorite is also a super creep who writes erotic fiction the latter didn't need to be apart of his character, its just a old creep trope. This is a discussion that comes to how people choose to obsorb chaacters how they feel the characters should be taken

As for the homophobia I hit the google and now I do remember, I will say this yosuke seems to have grown up in an area and situation where his exposure to other types of sexuality has been very little. So some of that I am willing to jot down as youthful stupidity. This isn't an excuse for his actions he is very incorrect however I am willing to belive due to the age of the characters location theming, that yosuke might learn not to do that in that future. I remember seeing something saying that yosuke was going to be a homosexual romantic option at some point. That may have redeamed his character some more in that frong
Lets all remember that dah man starts off as the same character but becomes waaaaay more interesting.

croten

It actually is, this weird trope enduced cognative dissonace is a thing to be discussed. Because like you I also don't think creeping on girls is a positive character trait. But I also don't think that's even a character trait. It was used as a fall back to fill a void in character. Instead off writing an interesting other side to this guy they went "he will be the perv" and just left it there. I think the reason why he ranks so highly is because people excize that shit from their mind, espically when at least they feel that addition trope doesn't serve that character at all. An example would be... fittingly enough jiraya from naruto he's everyone and their moms favorite is also a super creep who writes erotic fiction the latter didn't need to be apart of his character, its just a old creep trope. This is a discussion that comes to how people choose to obsorb chaacters how they feel the characters should be taken

Okay? My point was simply that he is homophobic and a creep, which I think is very much an unlikable part of him and actively stops him from being a good character, if he started off this way and developed through the game to be less of a shit then that would be a good character but no, he starts off a creep and ends as a creep. They may as well have ended the game with him accidentally groping Chie or Yukiko in a freeze frame with a shit eating grin.

I found myself really disagreeing with the list but then I realized I didn't want any of the P4 characters at #1. Maybe it sounds weird but I don't think any P4 character really deserves to be #1. While several deserve top 3, nobody stood out.

In P3 however I feel like several would deserve #1, but my bias for P3 is well documented.

I found myself really disagreeing with the list but then I realized I didn't want any of the P4 characters at #1. Maybe it sounds weird but I don't think any P4 character really deserves to be #1 while several deserve top 3, nobody stood out.

In P3 however I feel like several would deserve #1, but my bias for P3 is well documented.

The list was for P4 characters only.

croten

I found myself really disagreeing with the list but then I realized I didn't want any of the P4 characters at #1. Maybe it sounds weird but I don't think any P4 character really deserves to be #1. While several deserve top 3, nobody stood out.

The only character I would say deserves to be #1 is Kanji, the rest I would agree with you.

Yo, A girl just bitchslapped a guy in the beginning of class. She said something about being sick of his fucking shit, or something about hearing him talking shit, and just slapped him. She sounded like she was going to cry. When they were sent to guidance, I noticed the guy was bleeding. It was quite a show that everyone enjoyed.

croten

Yo, A girl just bitchslapped a guy in the beginning of class. She said something about being sick of his fucking shit, or something about hearing him talking shit, and just slapped him. She sounded like she was going to cry. When they were sent to guidance, I noticed the guy was bleeding. It was quite a show that everyone enjoyed.

Huh, if that guy was being a shit then I commend her.

Well that's always fun to see.

Xiraiya

The thing is, he wasn't saying anything. From what I understand, someone else told her the period before that he was talking shit, and she never actually heard him say anything.

I don't know, highschool guys are highschool guys, if someone hits them for being shits, there's at least 90% chance they well and truly did or said something to deserve it.

Man, Bandai is really ripping people off with Gundam the Origin. No translated bonus materials, $90+$20 S&H, it's like they WANT people to pirate their shit.

Village

Okay? My point was simply that he is homophobic and a creep, which I think is very much an unlikable part of him and actively stops him from being a good character, if he started off this way and developed through the game to be less of a shit then that would be a good character but no, he starts off a creep and ends as a creep. They may as well have ended the game with him accidentally groping Chie or Yukiko in a freeze frame with a shit eating grin.
Not to be rude but you were going to default back to. " this is just how I feel" why open a disscussion in the firstplace? My statements were to suggest some reasons why he might be voted highly not to suggest him being the best as some type of fact. You can feel however you wanna feel I can't really make you stop. I mean technically I could via rhetoric, but this isn't that important.

Still no new Yukiko design for DAN or an actual release date
giphy.gif

croten

Not to be rude but you were going to default back to. " this is just how I feel" why open a disscussion in the firstplace? My statements were to suggest some reasons why he might be voted highly not to suggest him being the best as some type of fact. You can feel however you wanna feel I can't really make you stop. I mean technically I could via rhetoric, but this isn't that important.

I'm being objective here, he is a badly written character with no development who acts like a homophobic creep. I don't see how that is a good character.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I'm being objective here, he is a badly written character with no development who acts like a homophobic creep. I don't see how that is a good character.

He's also a very lonely person. I think his character consists of him being extremely insecure and feeling alone, or at least fearing that he will end up alone later in the game. That is all I will say to defend brosuke.

Rizzi

That's quite a slap.

Xiraiya

Playing through Pokemon Diamond, pretty slow going so far, I started with Piplup this time around as I decided Empoleon is not as annoying as I previously thought.

Playing through Pearl will go much faster as I'll only be playing that to grab items and exclusives, it'll also help that technically both versions will have the same save file, so I can transfer a Pokemon or two over and not worry about their obedience.

I COULD just play through Diamond and rename the Save file to load into Pearl with whenever I reach a route with exclusives, but that method has it's own problems, such as the fact once you catch Dialga in one game, that event is now done, so if you try to load that file into Pearl, the game still recognizes that you caught the legendary there, so you can't just catch Palkia or anything, similar thing with the Masterball.

So when I started a save file on Diamond, before I picked my starter, I changed my Trainer ID to a unique number of importance. My Trainer ID is the same in every single game, it's "my" thing I do so that if I was ever giving Pokemon to people or something, I'd always know exactly what mine are, I never touch the secret ID.

So anyway I duplicate that fresh save to load into Pearl for later, so I will have to play through both games to get everything I want, but the second playthrough will be far easier as my Diamond Pokemon will obey the trainer in Pearl at high levels.

Village

I don't know, about that if that poll is any indication. All you are is subjective.

Shackzam

In my cal 2 class and we got a sub and now we are learning things that are not relevant to the class. I got another 2 hours of this crap.

Xiraiya

No, Yosuke is not a good character, but that's not the same as being badly written. If anything Yosuke is really relatable to people, which would imply that is the opposite of bad writing.
I don't like Yosuke at all, I wouldn't want to be friends with him, but I can say he is a realistic character, especially considering how many people I've met throughout my life who were basically Yosuke.

If the writing makes a character relatable to people, that says more about people than the writing of that character.

Top Bottom