• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 3: You are Friender, Want Emancipation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to listen to one of their podcasts last night.

As a first time listener, holy shit, it was rough.

20 minutes in and I had no idea who anyone was. All they did was talk over each other constantly. Really irritating. It's one of my podcast pet peeves, and this was the worst I've heard in awhile.
Which episode was it? If it's the most recent one they're inebriated.

Obviously it's a pretty casual laid back show though, so- aside from the occasionally overpowering Pat- they talk like they're just hanging out.

Yeah, thats my major criticism I have for the podcast. Sometimes they'll just have two separate conversations going over eachother. I remember a couple episodes ago being particularly bad for that.

Weirdly I think the best podcast from a listenability standpoint is the one where Matt is in Cuba, because they're more laid back and there are fewer people to talk over.

Yep lol. I'll take this loss too.

SaistakestheL.gif

Which episode was it? If it's the most recent one they're inebriated.

Obviously it's a pretty casual laid back show though, so- aside from the occasionally overpowering Pat- they talk like they're just hanging out.

Episode 55 from August.25th. HORRIBLE introduction.

it wasn't a post-PAX episode I was listening to, it was from a month or two ago I think.

Eh, not all podcasts are for everyone and theirs is mostly for fans of theirs anyway. If you haven't watched any of their LPs and you're not terribly against watching LPs in general, they have some good ones and are much less manic during them. It might also make it easier to go back to the podcast if you like it.

it wasn't a post-PAX episode I was listening to, it was from a month or two ago I think.
Try 52 if you want more listen ability, it's the one where Matt's in Cuba.
Obviously this becomes less of a problem as you go along. I had this problem with the Bombcast as well.
Episode 55 from August.25th. HORRIBLE introduction.
Well I recommend what Aaron said. Check their LPs out if that's your thing, or check out the more laid back episodes.

Eh, not all podcasts are for everyone and theirs is mostly for fans of theirs anyway. If you haven't watched any of their LPs and you're not terribly against watching LPs in general, they have some good ones and are much less manic during them. It might also make it easier to go back to the podcast if you like it.

Maybe I'll check out some of their LPs then. Thanks!

Try 52 if you want more listen ability, it's the one where Matt's in Cuba.
Obviously this becomes less of a problem as you go along. I had this problem with the Bombcast as well.

It's a problem jumping into any podcast from a group of guys doing it as an aside to something else when you have little to no knowledge of their main thing. They assume you know who they are and are used to their style going in, so they don't focus too much on the introduction aspect.

Maybe I'll check out some of their LPs then. Thanks!
Avoid Shaolin Monks and Nuzlocke. Recommend the OP stuff, but especially Metal Gear Rising and Deadly Premonition.
It's a problem jumping into any podcast from a group of guys doing it as an aside to something else when you have little to no knowledge of their main thing. They assume you know who they are and are used to their style going in, so they don't focus too much on the introduction aspect.
Yup. And obviously they can't waste everyone's time starting fresh introducing themselves everytime.

Avoid Shaolin Monks and Nuzlocke. Recommend the OP stuff, but especially Metal Gear Rising and Deadly Premonition.

I recommend starting on Silent Hill Downpour, there are semi-frequent callbacks to it, it has some really fun stuff and Pat is actually pretty knowledgeable about the franchise, and it's a good introduction to their personalities.

Archgan

Having read the description for the latest Prison Break episode, I think we need to get Pat some help. He needs 50 CC's of PERSONA! and maybe a little crack.

curiousrobot

Neo Member
I recommend starting on Silent Hill Downpour, there are semi-frequent callbacks to it, it has some really fun stuff and Pat is actually pretty knowledgeable about the franchise, and it's a good introduction to their personalities.

Amen. Downpour is a fantastic start. Their run of Eternal Darkness is gold too.

joe2187

Banned
The OP has some good suggestions for LPs. Their current running Prison Break is hilarious, too.

Personally, I haven't listened to any of the podcasts yet because I'm not much of a podcast guy.

Sweeeeet. Now you need that AA Trilogy.

I just need to buy AA3? right since I cant get the 4th game?

Yup. And obviously they can't waste everyone's time starting fresh introducing themselves everytime.
Eh...
I'm pretty sure the Bombcast crew introduce themselves everytime. I haven't heard of the podcast, do they not put their names or something?

I only watch their LPs and I second the Deadly Premonition one :)

Mr.Towel

Eh...
I'm pretty sure the Bombcast crew introduce themselves everytime. I haven't heard of the podcast, do they not put their names or something?

Yeah, just adding something like "hey, I'm Matt", etc. every week wouldn't be a huge deal. Giant Bomb does it and it's a nice way for new people to put names to the voices.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just need to buy AA3? right since I cant get the 4th game?

I don't think the trilogy will be sold in parts. I think it's a whole set.

You have the first two now? Yeah, you'd need to get Trials & Tribulations. Despite people disparaging it, you should probably play Apollo Justice (the 4th) as well. I still like it.

Eh...

They mainly just get right into it and talk over each other pretty often. If you're used to their LPs you probably won't notice too much, but just jumping in they're loud and hard to follow.

So basically avoid any LP with Woolie?
Woolie's ok... I like him in the group stuff. Him and Pat work pretty well.

I haven't liked a Matt and Woolie video since DKC though.
X4...the best X game...damn it all, I really need to replay my Zero Collection.
Is my nostalgia for X1-3 blinding me for does every X game after suck hardcore.

I bought the X collection on PS2 and hated X4, and loathed X6 and 7.

I don't think the trilogy will be sold in parts. I think it's a whole set.

You have the first two now? Yeah, you'd need to get Trials & Tribulations. Despite people disparaging it, you should probably play Apollo Justice (the 4th) as well. I still like it.

What was wrong with Apollo? Overall it was a lot better than AA2, and I consider equal to AA1.

360pages

Woolie's ok... I like him in the group stuff. Him and Pat work pretty well.

I haven't liked a Matt and Woolie video since DKC though.

Is my nostalgia for X1-3 blinding me for does every X game after suck hardcore.

I bought the X collection on PS2 and hated X4, and loathed X6 and 7.

What? X4 is easily in my top three Megaman games, it barely has any crap in it, and it's just levels from levels. No collecting parts or anything like that, you got 8 choices and go for it.

While I don't really enjoy Matt/Woolie LPs that much, I appreciate the variety.
Moar Pat though. I waaaaant it.
What? X4 is easily in my top three Megaman games, it barely has any crap in it, and it's just levels from levels. No collecting parts or anything like that, you got 8 choices and go for it.
I just thought it felt gross. I would say X2 and X3 fall into that trap of strapping too much shit on top of X1's mechanics, but the core gameplay felt awful in X4.
I appreciate Pat's growing mental instability. The sounds he has started making are barely human.
OOH. MMMMHPH.

360pages

Moar Pat though. I waaaaant it.

I just thought it felt gross. I would say X2 and X3 fall into that trap of strapping too much shit on top of X1's mechanics, but the core gameplay felt awful in X4.

Really? I never really had a problem with how X4 felt, I'd say the only 2d X game that felt really off was X6

X8 is alright, not good, but not bad.

Really? I never really had a problem with how X4 felt, I'd say the only 2d X game that felt really off was X6

X8 is alright, not good, but not bad.
Maybe it's nostalgia blindness. I played a god damn TON of X1 as a kid, so the new engine and gameplay really throws me off.

That said, I should probably get the Zero collection sometime...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What was wrong with Apollo? Overall it was a lot better than AA2, and I consider equal to AA1.

A lot of people have issues with the new characters, and the motivations of several antagonists (which I won't go into for spoiler reasons). Others just didn't really like Apollo at all.

My main gripe when I first played through is that the prosecution never felt quite as hostile towards the defense as in the earlier games. It felt friendlier than a rivalry, which made the courtroom back and forth a little less entertaining. I grew to really like it after successive playthroughs, though.

Alfebit

Banned
Welp, my laptop's fucked. Tried to download the podcast last night and it just fucking crashes. Thanks obama. I'm so buttmad, you don't even know. Vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom