• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Glix

I'm in hype overdrive for this game. I'd be playing Generations to make the wait better but the 3DS rev doesn't come out until AFTER Mario??

Pretty dumb Sega.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Glix said:
I'm in hype overdrive for this game. I'd be playing Generations to make the wait better but the 3DS rev doesn't come out until AFTER Mario??

Pretty dumb Sega.

I doubt that was Sega's plan. Sonic 3DS most likely isn't ready for primetime yet.

rhino4evr

I completely forgot that I pre ordered this from Amazon with the $20 Zelda credit. I will probably sell my 3DS and this game once im finished with it.

Downhome

I've been on board "day 1", so this is a no brainer for me. I'll pay whatever, but are any deals known for this one just yet?

Glix

Brandon F said:
I doubt that was Sega's plan. Sonic 3DS most likely isn't ready for primetime yet.

Never stopped them before! ;-)

Rhino - That seems like a smart, well thought out decision. *eyeroll*

apana said:
Wow the reviews are lower than I was expecting. What are people citing as the main negatives?
Going by Nintendo Power, even though they gave it a 9 they seem to criticize it for having a lack of creativity and being a familiar, by-the-book, Mario game. That's not really a bad thing since New Super Mario Wii also had similar criticisms even though the game was much better than New Super Mario DS.

Also, those New Super Mario games were fantastic and yet they don't have a 9 on Metacritic. Those criticisms were mostly the same thing, like playing it too safe, or being familiar to past Mario games. Not really valid criticism to me. I don't agree with reviews that dock off scores for that especially since they seem to give a free pass to the Halos and Modern Warfares even though all their sequels have roughly been a similar formula from previous games.

Truth101

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Going by Nintendo Power, even though they gave it a 9 they seem to criticize it for having a lack of creativity and being a familiar, by-the-book, Mario game. That's not really a bad thing since New Super Mario Wii also had similar criticisms even though the game was much better than New Super Mario DS.

Super Mario 3D Land: 9/10

+Different and great styles of Mario platforming for everyone
+Great 3D

-More advanced moves (long jump, somersaults) are completely optional.
-Not very creative

Overall: "A true triple-A title...Natural evolution of the series...Not as much content as Galaxies but still plenty..Blows away all of the previous handheld Marios."

Something doesn't fit here.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
apana said:
Wow the reviews are lower than I was expecting. What are people citing as the main negatives?

From the little I've read, but also gathered from the demo I played, Mario 3D recycles a lot of content from Galaxy/Galaxy 2. This isn't necessarily a big issue, nor implies the levels are poorly designed, just that it falls back on a lot of the concepts already established in the Galaxy games, and thus their initial appeal and surprise has worn off.

I also suspect the shorter, compartmentalised stages mean single gimmicks are more dominant for the entirety of a level, plus an overall easy difficulty.

Brandon F said:
By this point it's already gone gold, certainly.

SEGA has admitted before that they don't want to release 3DS games until big Nintendo titles are out to drive sales, so waiting until after Mario is probably exactly their plan.

Dr.Hadji

Truth101 said:

I think "not creative" refers to level themes and obstacles and "natural evolution" refers to the 2d/3d controls/design ect. So the game takes old ideas and finds new wrinkles.

WillyFive

Truth101 said:

How doesn't it fit?

It's the same thing.

Natural evolution is a polite way of saying it's not very radical or creative. Otherwise, it would be called revolutionary, not evolutionary.

Truth101

Banned
Willy105 said:
How doesn't it fit?

It's the same thing.

Natural evolution is a polite way of saying it's not very radical or creative.

So, Galaxy 2. Or does that not count for some reason?

Also, would you say they are talking about from Galaxy -> SM3DL or the franchise in general. Makes a big difference.

WillyFive

Truth101 said:
So, Galaxy 2. Or does that not count for some reason?

Galaxy 2 was a natural evolution of Galaxy 1. It was not a completely new experience, like from Sunshine to Galaxy 1, or from 64 to Sunshine.

Mpl90 said:
Cheese, Mik... tomorrow, we want your report on Media Create Thread for some news from stores about Mario and white 3DS, ok? :)
Apart for this... JAPAN, I HATE YOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!!!! XD

I don't know if there'll be much to report. If I don't go back to the same Geo, it's the Ito Yokado at the next station over, which also opens at 10. I wasn't planning on going clear down to Akiba, which would cost me an extra 210 yen each way.

Glix

ShockingAlberto said:
By this point it's already gone gold, certainly.

SEGA has admitted before that they don't want to release 3DS games until big Nintendo titles are out to drive sales, so waiting until after Mario is probably exactly their plan.

My God, they are so dumb sometimes. I mean, I understand that logic for stuff like Shinobi, but damn, these guys are just mistake after mistake.

Truth101

Banned
Willy105 said:
Galaxy 2 was a natural evolution of Galaxy 1. It was not a completely new experience, like from Sunshine to Galaxy 1, or from 64 to Sunshine.

So, Galaxy 2 being a natural Evolution of Galaxy. Would you call it not creative?

Would you say that SM3DL is the same sort of evolution. If, so what is it evolving from?

I think the Galaxy games spoiled us.

Since the 3DS is practically a handheld Wii/Gamecube, it already needs a higher standard like how New Super Mario Wii was heavily criticized for it being a upscaled version of New Super Mario DS even though it's the better version.

Mik2121

Mpl90 said:
Cheese, Mik... tomorrow, we want your report on Media Create Thread for some news from stores about Mario and white 3DS, ok? :)
Apart for this... JAPAN, I HATE YOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!!!! XD
Sure... I'll be going to the biggest electronics store in Osaka (Yodobashi Camera Umeda) so that will probably be a good way to measure the success of the game on day 1 (though Mario titles have such long legs that even if during the first day they don't sell like a Monster Hunter -and they don't, I think - they will still sell like crazy).

I will be there by 11am or so, and tomorrow is holiday here in Japan so probably a bunch of people around. I have not reserved the game but I don't think I will have many problems picking the game that early in the morning.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mik2121 said:
Sure... I'll be going to the biggest electronics store in Osaka (Yodobashi Camera Umeda) so that will probably be a good way to measure the success of the game on day 1 (though Mario titles have such long legs that even if during the first day they don't sell like a Monster Hunter -and they don't, I think - they will still sell like crazy).

I will be there by 11am or so, and tomorrow is holiday here in Japan so probably a bunch of people around. I have not reserved the game but I don't think I will have many problems picking the game that early in the morning.

...3rd November is a Holiday in Japan?
So, White and Mario with the Holiday?
Nintendo can be so bastard sometimes.

Platy

So the game's biggest negative point is that .... it follows mario galaxy 1+2 ?

I can deal with that =P

The demo at Best Buy is pretty great I thought. World 1-1 of the game, 3D and controls work really well, couple of nice secrets, platforming feels really nice, simplistic level design with it being the first level and all, but still a lot of different paths.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Just bought Sonic Generations on the PS3 and this is coming out too. So much platformy goodness...

Lijik

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
The demo at Best Buy is pretty great I thought. World 1-1 of the game, 3D and controls work really well, couple of nice secrets, platforming feels really nice, simplistic level design with it being the first level and all, but still a lot of different paths.
Yeah! That demo really sold me on the game.
The controls felt just a bit loose to me though, and I had some issues launching myself up to the music boxes that felt unreasonable.
But nothing that major, game seems like a fun solid platformer!

muu

They have demo units running Mario at BB? I knew I should have looked around when I was there to pick up BF3.

Chopper

So, that bit I've seen where turning the 3D on is necessary how to hit the "hidden" block...

...How is Amir0x gonna complete this game?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chopper said:
So, that bit I've seen where turning the 3D on is necessary how to hit the "hidden" block...

There is a tile you can stand on which moves the camera to reveal it, but it moves back after you step off it. Seems like you'll definitely be at a disadvantage in 2D mode, but you won't be crippled necessarily.

Amir0x

Banned
Chopper said:

like any normal game we've been playing for generations sans awful gimmicky autostereoscopic 3D whose illusion is shattered if the 3DS is moved even 1.2 millimeters to the left or right; using basic common sense and skill. The videos have shown some of the later '3D on' gimmicks that do fundamentally nothing to alter gameplay and are simple perspective tricks. A monkey could solve these sorts of things.

I played the demo and not only did I not need 3D to overcome any challenge, but I didn't even need it for the secrets I found.

Not all players suck ass at games.

Bullza2o

Can't play this game until my sister gets this for Christmas :(. I have Batman, Zelda, and MK7 to keep me busy anyway.

Chopper

Amir0x said:
like any normal game we've been playing for generations sans awful gimmicky autostereoscopic 3D whose illusion is shattered if the 3DS is moved even 1.2 millimeters to the left or right; using basic common sense and skill. The videos have shown some of the later '3D on' gimmicks that do fundamentally nothing to alter gameplay and are simple perspective tricks. A monkey could solve these sorts of things.

I played the demo and not only did I not need 3D to overcome any challenge, but I didn't even need it for the secrets I found.

Not all players suck ass at games.
Ha ha. Do you copy/paste this stuff?!

I know, I know. The technology doesn't meet your superior standards and we're all idiots.

Just trollin'. ;)

Pre

I really want to play this, but having just bought a PS3 I don't want to drop the money right now for a 3DS. Maybe when a few more worthwhile games are released.

Top Bottom