• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Hmmm... all of the E3 trolls were telling me that EAD was suddenly going to start making bad games, starting with this one. They knew this because.... the screens... and that one video... and stuff.

Who to believe?

TheAtomicPile said:
Hmmm... all of the E3 trolls were telling me that EAD was suddenly going to start making bad games, starting with this one. They knew this because.... the screens... and that one video... and stuff.

Who to believe?
I doubt anyone thought it'd be outright "Bad", but all the impressions do seem to point to a lack of any kind of difficulty ala Mario DS which is disappointing given Miyamoto's mea culpa on that game being too easy. It's still a new Mario platformer all the same of course so I'll pick it up same as I would a new Zelda.

It's kind of easy, I guess (am only up to 1-4, though) There's plenty to do in each world, so far, although you can complete them really quickly, if you want.

EDIT: It really does feel like what 3D Mario would have been if they'd gone a different direction with 64.

jman2050

If you have played more than a few Mario games before then this game will probably be really easy to you. That should be expected, not shocking.

Amir0x said:
like any normal game we've been playing for generations sans awful gimmicky autostereoscopic 3D whose illusion is shattered if the 3DS is moved even 1.2 millimeters to the left or right; using basic common sense and skill. The videos have shown some of the later '3D on' gimmicks that do fundamentally nothing to alter gameplay and are simple perspective tricks. A monkey could solve these sorts of things.

I played the demo and not only did I not need 3D to overcome any challenge, but I didn't even need it for the secrets I found.

Not all players suck ass at games.
Hahaha oh Amir0x.

Dr.Hadji

airmangataosenai said:
I doubt anyone thought it'd be outright "Bad", but all the impressions do seem to point to a lack of any kind of difficulty ala Mario DS which is disappointing given Miyamoto's mea culpa on that game being too easy. It's still a new Mario platformer all the same of course so I'll pick it up same as I would a new Zelda.

Post game content.

Berordn

Which is apparently more of a New Game+ than anything. Not bad by any means but a difficulty select ought to be available from the start.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
StreetsAhead said:
It's kind of easy, I guess (am only up to 1-4, though) There's plenty to do in each world, so far, although you can complete them really quickly, if you want.

EDIT: It really does feel like what 3D Mario would have been if they'd gone a different direction with 64.

Added to the OP.

Impressions are now also linked to the specific post they were made in, and carry avatars (for users who have them.)

Just finished W-2. The game is pretty, very pretty. 3D is subtle, but helpful. It was certainly harder than W-1, but still not outrageous. To put it in perspective I struggled badly with New Super Mario on DS and never got out of W1 before giving up. Jumping from great heights to platforms below is an odd feeling.

Overall, it's a Mario game. It's hella fun, it colourful, There's good ideas here. It does it's job - I've not put the game down beyond posting here for 1.5 hours.

EDIT: I never got out of World 1, not W1-1. Whoops.

The M.O.B

StreetsAhead said:
Just finished W-2. The game is pretty, very pretty. 3D is subtle, but helpful. It was certainly harder than W-1, but still not outrageous. To put it in perspective I struggled badly with New Super Mario on DS and never got out of W-1 before giving up. Jumping from great heights to platforms below is an odd feeling.

Overall, it's a Mario game. It's hella fun, it colourful, There's good ideas here. It does it's job - I've not put the game down beyond posting here for 1.5 hours.

O_O

Skilletor

StreetsAhead said:
Just finished W-2. The game is pretty, very pretty. 3D is subtle, but helpful. It was certainly harder than W-1, but still not outrageous. To put it in perspective I struggled badly with New Super Mario on DS and never got out of W-1 before giving up. Jumping from great heights to platforms below is an odd feeling.

Weird.

Just plain bizarre.

Dr.Hadji said:
Post game content.

I don't understand why more people don't get this. The Galaxy games get decently challenging if you make an attempt to go all the way.

But if the worst thing that people can say about this game is that its like the Galaxy games, then we're all in for a treat.

Considering there hasn't ever been a good handheld platformer Mario that didn't star Wario or WASN'T a port of a console Mario, I am not expecting to be disappointed in this.

Yeah yeah, I know. It was like four years ago. I totally deserve to be made fun of though.
I did finish Galaxy though, so, you know, I'm not a total failure.
The stages in W-3 are much less linear.

Mik2121

Just got the game!. I just started playing but I'm not sure which 3D mode to use, if the one that "pops out" or the one that feels like you're looking through a window. I think I will go with the later.

Be back in some 20 minutes or so to post my first impressions! :)

Anth0ny

StreetsAhead said:

o_O

Just my personal observations from vids and demo at Gamestop.
+ Really reminds me of a playground type gameplay
+ Branching paths
+ post game content
+ Graphics and music are pretty good.
+ well suited for handhelds.
+Will likely be the best handheld Mario

- Levels seem really short and a lot of them are rather gimmicky. With each level taking 2-3 minutes and there being 48 levels that's close to 2-3 hours play time(yes I'm aware of post game content but still).
- Dislike EAD Tokyo's obsession with floating blocks in the middle of nowhere levels and this entire game is composed of them.
- I've seen a lot of the levels and from the impressions I've read it doesn't seem like there are any really unique and different ideas so much as they repackaged different elements from 2D Mario and 3D Mario together. (Before someone comes in and says SMG2 it introduced a ton of new and creative gameplay elements so....)
- still not seeing the point of the run button

Overall, I'm expecting this game to be fun and the branching levels remind me a lot of World. I also like the playground style gameplay that hasn't been seen since SM64. I know this game will be pretty good despite not liking the aesthetics.

TheAtomicPile said:

Who to believe?
Don't believe anyone was saying it would be bad. I recall people saying they were underwhelmed not that it would be a terrible game. I'm still rather underwhelmed with this game but I know it will be good.

Mik2121

Alright, finished the first world (5 actual stages, 1 item box and 1 Toad house).

At first the controls felt a bit clumsy to me. Specially having to run around, which was ok on a completely 2D game like SMB or World, but on a 3D world it just doesn't feel as right, and not running is definitely a bit slow. But after a while I got used to it already.
The game has A LOT of movements, I think. That I can remember/seen, basic jump, crouch+jump, crouch walk, running, then turning back and making a fairly high jump, ass stomp and.. I think that's it. Basically most of the movements from Galaxy except the twirl thing, and I don't remember being able to walk while crouching, or you could but very slow. Here it feels faster.

The graphics.. damn. This game looks pretty. Some levels prettier than other, anyway. The second level from the first world is on the underground and that one is a bit ugly, but still not BAD, just not as pretty as the rest.

Music wise, great as always. The levels are not very challenging yet, but then again I've only played through the first world. I will go and start the second world now.

Dr.Hadji said:
I swear, its like someone is using a new descriptor for Mario everyday. When you use fluid, what do you mean?
:D sorry!
I mean, if you are good enough you may blast your way through in, say, SMG, but in NSMB DS there are lots of obstacles that stops you stopped me from blasting through levels, like those jumping box that act totally randomly, or so I believe they act! But, probably it is me who suck at 2D Mario!

Mik2121

StickSoldier said:
Were there a lot of copies selling or could you tell?
When I went there, there were about 50 people on the queue and all I could see were blue boxes (ie, the Mario package). I can't say ALL of them were buying it, but most were, indeed.
I even saw a couple kids on a small bench nearby playing the game.

I would say the game will do fairly well, which isn't really new for a Mario title.

Then again, while the might might not sell on day 1 as much as a Monster Hunter, in the end it will probably sell a lot, and even more knowing this is probably the only MUST HAVE for 3DS yet.

But yeah, in my experience buying it on a big department store:

845.jpg

It seemed to be doing pretty well.

I bought this yesterday along with uncharted 3 and I ended up playing Mario for much longer than I did with uncharted. It's so much fun although it feels a little slow at the beginning. It picks the pace up around world 3 didn't wanna put it down and I ended up going to bed at 4am causing a huge argument with my wife. :lol

I captured the 1hour 45 minutes which uploaded to YouTube.
www.youtube.com/redsungamertv

I can't wait to get back into it tonight.

Mik2121

Ugh... for the two or three of you with the game. Do you know where's the third medal on 2-2?

I have 100%'ed world 1 and most of world 2, and trying to 100% world 3 as I keep advancing, but I just can't find the damn third medal on world 2-2 and I've played through it like 10 times already :p

branny

This is the first time that I'm actually super excited for a 3D Mario game. I don't really like doing unclear, arbitrary, or hit-or-miss gimmicky things to collect stars in 3D Mario games. I just want to run a gauntlet of obstacles to get to the goal without any filler ala SMB3 and World.

I forced myself to play through Mario 64 on DS (.....) and had so much trouble enjoying Galaxy 1 that I skipped 2. I also disliked what I played of NSMB on the DS and didn't spend enough time with the Wii one to form an opinion. I'm more than willing to give this game a chance. I probably need to get NSMB Wii if I don't like Super Mario 3D Land, right? GAF seems to really like that one...

Mik2121

Man.. World 1 doesn't do justice to the game. I'm still on World 3 and the levels here are way much more fun imo (playing 3-3 now).

Mik2121 said:
Alright, finished the first world (5 actual stages, 1 item box and 1 Toad house).

At first the controls felt a bit clumsy to me. Specially having to run around, which was ok on a completely 2D game like SMB or World, but on a 3D world it just doesn't feel as right, and not running is definitely a bit slow. But after a while I got used to it already.
The game has A LOT of movements, I think. That I can remember/seen, basic jump, crouch+jump, crouch walk, running, then turning back and making a fairly high jump, ass stomp and.. I think that's it. Basically most of the movements from Galaxy except the twirl thing, and I don't remember being able to walk while crouching, or you could but very slow. Here it feels faster.

The graphics.. damn. This game looks pretty. Some levels prettier than other, anyway. The second level from the first world is on the underground and that one is a bit ugly, but still not BAD, just not as pretty as the rest.

Music wise, great as always. The levels are not very challenging yet, but then again I've only played through the first world. I will go and start the second world now.

Good impressions so far, thanks. Having a run button didn't bother me at all in Mario 64 DS so I'm sure it won't take long to get used to here. How is the Tanooki suit? Have you
tried turning into stone yet? :)

Mik2121

Agent Unknown said:
Good impressions so far, thanks. Having a run button didn't bother me at all in Mario 64 DS so I'm sure it won't take long to get used to here. How is the Tanooki suit? Have you
tried turning into stone yet? :)
The tanooki suit is sweet!. Being able to glide around is quite helpful sometimes, and makes certain jumps so much easier. As for the spoiler part, not yet, but I will soon!. I just haven't had the need, and I don't even know how to do it! :p

Oh, one thing that I absolutely DON'T LIKE about this game, even though it's not related to the game itself, is that the instruction booklet is just 2 pages. Seriously, about as much content as Battlefield 3's booklet.. ugh. Basically they tell you to go and read the instructions that come with the game when you boot it up. Sucks.

Mik2121 said:
The tanooki suit is sweet!. Being able to glide around is quite helpful sometimes, and makes certain jumps so much easier. As for the spoiler part, not yet, but I will soon!. I just haven't had the need, and I don't even know how to do it! :p

franknclayton1.gif

OMG I HATE YOU JAPAN GAF!!! SO JEALOUS! just kidding!

Thanks for the impressions guys, I am really looking forward to it. Mario platformers <3

I just got 5 new games...better hurry before it releases here! o-O;

Next time I hope they don't go with the floating blocks setting. I'd like a solid landscape, please. If they need the death pits, just make death pits in the ground. Simple.

On another note, I can't wait to get my hands on this. Looks fantastic. How much 'post-game content' would you guys say there is?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MidnightScott said:
OMG I HATE YOU JAPAN GAF!!! SO JEALOUS! just kidding!

Thanks for the impressions guys, I am really looking forward to it. Mario platformers <3

I just got 5 new games...better hurry before it releases here! o-O;

Don't you have a JP 3DS? Import it yo. :p

Mistle

TheCongressman1 said:
Next time I hope they don't go with the floating blocks setting. I'd like a solid landscape, please. If they need the death pits, just make death pits in the ground. Simple.
I agree. I was really hoping this game would have actual landscapes when the first screens were released.

Mik2121

TheCongressman1 said:

On another note, I can't wait to get my hands on this. Looks fantastic. How much 'post-game content' would you guys say there is?
Well, it's not like the old Mario games featured full solid landscapes only. This game has them too, though there's also quite a bunch of floating stuff.

As for post-game content.. I don't really know. Right now all I have access to is the normal worlds, no minigames like the DS game. I'm at World 4-1 right now and loving every bit of it though :p

Mik2121 said:
Well, it's not like the old Mario games featured full solid landscapes only. This game has them too, though there's also quite a bunch of floating stuff.

Oh, it's not that I hate floating stuff, it just seems to be taking up the majority of levels now-a-days. It's like the Mushroom Kingdom is set in the sky now or something. :p

totowhoa

Banned
Least hyped *3D* Mario game for me ever. I'm about as excited as the NSMB games. Granted, I enjoyed both iterations, but that's not saying a lot for Mario since I felt each was sub-par. Pre-ordered anyway, and I'm still excited enough :p

Either way, I'm still expecting to enjoy it. The bright side? Even if I only enjoy the game (as opposed to loving it), there's still Rayman Origins coming right up. Between both of these games, I'm going to be in platformer heaven. It's pretty exciting to be getting Mario + Rayman at the same time. I'll be inviting friends over just to see Rayman in HD. I hope I can say Mario will finally be reason to show off my 3DS.

dwu8991

Banned
Sklorenz said:
Least hyped *3D* Mario game for me ever. I'm about as excited as the NSMB games. Granted, I enjoyed both iterations, but that's not saying a lot for Mario since I felt each was sub-par. Pre-ordered anyway, and I'm still excited enough :p

Either way, I'm still expecting to enjoy it. The bright side? Even if I only enjoy the game (as opposed to loving it), there's still Rayman Origins coming right up. Between both of these games, I'm going to be in platformer heaven. It's pretty exciting to be getting Mario + Rayman at the same time. I'll be inviting friends over just to see Rayman in HD. I hope I can say Mario will finally be reason to show off my 3DS.

It somehow feels to soon even though I would've killed for this game at launch!

Mik2121

Alright... up to World 5 now. Gotta take a short break :p

BTW, there was an OS update that came with the game, but it's definitely not the November update. Do we know what it is?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Alright... up to World 5 now. Gotta take a short break :p

BTW, there was an OS update that came with the game, but it's definitely not the November update. Do we know what it is?

Nope.

my incredibly well-informed opinion after playing through world 1 is that it's better than NSMB DS, worse than NSMB wii, better than sunshine and worse than both galaxy games

of course, this could change!

basic impressions are that the controls are fine for movement but kind of complex and button-heavy considering how 2D the game feels, and the graphics are lovely.

Mik2121

345triangle said:
my incredibly well-informed opinion after playing through world 1 is that it's better than NSMB DS, worse than NSMB wii, better than sunshine and worse than both galaxy games

of course, this could change!

basic impressions are that the controls are fine for movement but kind of complex and button-heavy considering how 2D the game feels, and the graphics are lovely.
Keep playing. You get used to the controls, and the levels are much better after World 1, imo. Not a MASSIVE difference, but definitely more entertaining and challenging.

Top Bottom