• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land videos

Kilrogg said:
Building a Mario game around an item (or at least hyping it that way) is a stupid idea. Especially when said item isn't nearly as cool as the original. Can't fly? Can't turn into a statue? This is basically Mario Galaxy's spin attack with Yoshi's floating jump. Boring.

Putting tails on every tree and enemy is even more stupid.

I see they've brought back the P wing too. Except now it's just a level skip item.

Why do they have to make every awesome SMB3 item into boring items that don't even make sense (again racoon Bullet Bills)?

It's like they believe everyone will jump on it based on nostalgia for SMB3. Hint: what made SMB3 awesome wasn't the tanooki suit. It was the whole freaking game, of which tanooki suit was a tiny part. The real tanooki suit, I mean. This new tanooki suit just sucks.

There's so much truth to be truthed in this post, it's unbetruthable.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I did not see a Long Jump, there was a section in which the player could have easily used a long jump, but did not and decided to do a normal jump instead after judciously checking the distance from one platform to the other (gameplay video).

No long jump (?) + run button + level timer... The 3DS could do justice to a Super Mario 64/Super Mario Galaxy kind of game... they pushed out Super Mario 64 to the DS too, why cannot the 3DS receive that kind of Mario too? Hopefully, Nintendo will ALSO release such a title in addition to this game and a new NSMB game.

Tuck

Tanooki suit video was really cool.

I don't understand why they are putting SO much emphasis on that one suit though.

Also, the main theme is really freaking annoying.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Kilrogg said:
I'm not worried about what benefits the game design. I'm worried about what benefits the player. Turning into stone was just a bonus that made the item even cooler, but flying could be implemented. I agree with you that it would be more difficult to put in a 3D game, but that's not my problem. This Tanooki suit might be safe and work without a hitch in a 3D game, but it's boring.

Nintendo is bringing back a beloved item and has heavily marketed the game as the one that brought back said item. From on-stage presentations to the very game's logo, the game seems to be all about the fabled tanooki suit. Yet, the tanooki suit is nothing like the original item. It lost its best feature (flight) and its only unique aspect compared to the racoon tail (turning into stone). The tanooki suit isn't even as good as the racoon tail now, and that was supposed to be inferior.

You could fly just fine in Super Mario 64, but I agree that it worked a bit differently in the 2D games.

Edit: I see some Jumping Flash (PSOne) gameplay ideas in the Tanooki suit video.

Celine

Panajev2001a said:
You could fly just fine in Super Mario 64, but I agree that it worked a bit differently in the 2D games.

Edit: I see some Jumping Flash (PSOne) gameplay ideas in the Tanooki suit video.
In Super Mario 64 flying was confined in specific stages or specific stars and anyway you couldn't just fly up as easily in Super Mario Bros 3 because a similar power up would tarnish the gameplay.

EDIT:
Eh Super Mario 3D Land is the 3D Mario we never got at the start of the 32/64 bit generation.
Reminescent of many early polygonal platformers but I'm sure this game will be far better than those attempts ( stereoscopic 3D included ).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Celine said:
In Super Mario 64 flying was confined in specific stages or specific stars and anyway you couldn't just fly up as easily in Super Mario Bros 3 because a similar power up would tarnish the gameplay.

EDIT:
Eh Super Mario 3D Land is the 3D Mario we never got at the start of the 32/64 bit generation.
Reminescent of many early polygonal platformers but I'm sure this game will be far better than those attempts ( stereoscopic 3D included ).

You could always restrict, in some areas, the ability to fly by careful level design or, like in Super Mario Galaxy, restricting the camera view to a 2D view.

Still, looking at your edit... I am glad we got Super Mario 64. Super Mario 3D Land looks cool, it will be a great game, but it is still giving me a Super Mario Sunshine vibe. A game that is still a great 3D platformer, but it is not in the super-awesome arena Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy play in.

Celine

Kilrogg said:
I'm not worried about what benefits the game design. I'm worried about what benefits the player. Turning into stone was just a bonus that made the item even cooler, but flying could be implemented. I agree with you that it would be more difficult to put in a 3D game, but that's not my problem. This Tanooki suit might be safe and work without a hitch in a 3D game, but it's boring.

Nintendo is bringing back a beloved item and has heavily marketed the game as the one that brought back said item. From on-stage presentations to the very game's logo, the game seems to be all about the fabled tanooki suit. Yet, the tanooki suit is nothing like the original item. It lost its best feature (flight) and its only unique aspect compared to the racoon tail (turning into stone). The tanooki suit isn't even as good as the racoon tail now, and that was supposed to be inferior.
A fly-free powerup ( even if time-limited ) is near useless in a 3D platform game because you could evade/reach almost any point.
That's why we got the castrated flying hat in Mario 64 ( used in specific stages or courses and frankly it was horrendous ).
They kept the planing skill ( hope it's called that ) because it doesn't break the gameplay and I'm sure it looks great in S3D.

Eh if we are discussing how misused are certain "classic" elements than there is nothing more misused in SM3DL than the Land suffix.
Nothing like the R&D1 productions ( for worse or better ).

chickdigger802 said:
am so glad there is a 'tutorial' thingy now with MJ.

Took me forever to figure out the isostick thing last year. And kinda forgot them again.

Still wish there were classic button controls for some of the stuff though. Never really like the analog thing for fight night either...

Still can't get the 'rotate right stick' motion right all the time though. Would love an arcade version using this engine though. Man I miss nba street =/

Your stealth-edit can't hide from me.

likeGdid

3 differently colored Toads?

Multiplayer confirmed.

I don't really know; I've been on a media blackout for this game until now

mclem

sykoex said:
I'm starting to get into this game's premise. It's like what if you took the 2D Mario style of game design and added a 3rd plane of movement to it. Can't wait for this.

The thing that does bother me a bit is that that description pretty much says "Bug!" to me. Although there's clearly a lot more freedom of movement (wasn't Bug effectively two 2D platformers at once, only really applying in the orthogonal planes?)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Lord Ghirahim said:
Pre-order bonus (Greece).

Nice - hope we will have it in germany too.

btw. Any pictures of the MK7 pre order bonus ?

MisterHero

Kilrogg said:

I agree with this post and your earlier one. What's supposed to be homages to SMB3/other Mario games feels very cynical to me, and from their descriptions sound rather diminished.

People say flying can't benefit a platformer, or makes it too easy. Well, platforming is one way to play Super Mario Bros. 3, but you can't find every secret by playing one way.

There could be a couple stages where flying is almost necessary (like SMB3's auto-scrolling swimming stages, or World 6's almost vertical scrolling stage). And yes, even the swimming stages had a player's aid if they wanted/needed it; the Frog Suit. These power-ups were certainly a more elegant solution than a Super Guide, as necessary as a Super Guide might be.

I understand that Mario has a lot of 'hardcore' platformer fans but utterly designing a Mario game around platforming difficulty shouldn't be the entire goal. Past Mario games aren't frustrating and are even fun. SMB3 is arguably the greatest Mario game, but also arguably the easiest one (even without flying).

I don't think I could bear for Nintendo to do the same to the Hammer Bros. Suit (though making Hammer Mario playable in Smash Bros. would be badass).

sfried

PetriP-TNT said:
Oh lawd

screenshot_39857.jpg
Classic Mario World design

Glix

Kilrogg said:
Building a Mario game around an item (or at least hyping it that way) is a stupid idea. Especially when said item isn't nearly as cool as the original. Can't fly? Can't turn into a statue? This is basically Mario Galaxy's spin attack with Yoshi's floating jump. Boring.

Putting tails on every tree and enemy is even more stupid.

I see they've brought back the P wing too. Except now it's just a level skip item.

Why do they have to make every awesome SMB3 item into boring items that don't even make sense (again racoon Bullet Bills)?

It's like they believe everyone will jump on it based on nostalgia for SMB3. Hint: what made SMB3 awesome wasn't the tanooki suit. It was the whole freaking game, of which tanooki suit was a tiny part. The real tanooki suit, I mean. This new tanooki suit just sucks.

The bolded part of the quote is moronic coming from someone who hasn't played the game. You're trying WAY to hard to be a cynical ass.

Dude. Really? Watch the video

http://nintendoeverything.com/75445/new-super-mario-3d-land-trailer/

Barely any Tanooki in the entire video.

OMG THEY TURNED THE P INTO A LEVEL SKIP!?!?!?! They could have used a flute or something new, but they chose the P for nostalgia/reasons we don't know because we haven't PLAYED THE GAME. Seems like a trollish complaint.

JazzmanZ

psst the whole point of tanooki versions of other enemies is the plot involves a storm making the leaf power-ups fly around the mushroom kingdom touching anything within its wake

that new trailer erased all of my concerns. i love the structure of this game, and that scene where you spot toad with the binoculars and he gives you a 1-up is modern nintendo magic right there.

Glix said:
OMG THEY TURNED THE P INTO A LEVEL SKIP!?!?!?! They could have used a flute or something new, but they chose the P for nostalgia/reasons we don't know because we haven't PLAYED THE GAME. Seems like a trollish complaint.

but we do know the reason; it's to appease the whiny nintendo fans who have been crying "where's my tanooki suit?" for more than a decade. you don't find it disingenuous to neuter items that were once powerful, just for the sake of including them?

i understand it's impossible to include flight in this game. they should've used new items rather than cynically targeting the nostalgia sect.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Celine said:
Eh if we are discussing how misused are certain "classic" elements than there is nothing more misused in SM3DL than the Land suffix.
Nothing like the R&D1 productions ( for worse or better ).

Yeah, that too. At least an actual 3D remake of Super Mario Land would have felt somewhat new. How many times has Nintendo used Sarasaland so far? Exactly once, in the original SML. I'd like to see Tatanga, the Lion and the Moai heads once more. SML2's world was never reused either IIRC.

@Glix : explain to me how this new Tanooki Suit isn't a combination of the spin attack and Yoshi? Because that's exactly what it is. Also, you must have missed the part where the Tanooki Suit appears at the end with a huge "THE TANOOKI SUIT IS BACK" banner, tail-enemies and title logo. It's got a tail in it.

Kilrogg said:
Yeah, that too. At least an actual 3D remake of Super Mario Land would have felt somewhat new. How many times has Nintendo used Sarasaland so far? Exactly once, in the original SML. I'd like to see Tatanga, the Lion and the Moai heads once more. SML2's world was never reused either IIRC.

i loathe the super mario land series, but the first one's setting was awesome. i was exposed to it through the NINTENDO COMICS SYSTEM (NCS) and i always wanted to play it, because i never really had a portable in my youth for some reason. i'd love to see sarasaland again.

TreIII said:
I love this one too. Such potential for Bowser and yet, Nintendo still has yet to give him his own game. :lol
Bowser's Inside Story?

And since when does getting a Super Leaf give you the Tanooki Suit?

Vanille said:
That movement video was painful to watch. The game looks ridiculously slow and clunky.

watch the new trailer. that was my initial concern as well, but the run button makes things much better.

Vanille said:
That movement video was painful to watch. The game looks ridiculously slow and clunky.
Imagine a video of the first level of Super Mario Bros. 3 that involves nothing but walking forward, backward, jumping for no reason, getting hit, getting big again, and making an easy jump.

What is your impression?

JazzmanZ said:
How many times have you used a P wing not to beat the level easily?
Flying indefinitely was an awesome idea at that time, I remember trying to search every nook and cranny of most levels.

JazzmanZ said:
I noticed a stone Luigi in the back beside the thwomp thing on the main site :0

Also great to see classic Mario art again after none for so long since Super mario world box art.
screenshot_39989.jpg

From Official Nintendo Magazine site

Top Bottom