• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land videos

MisterHero

Hee hee I'm imagining that Bowser stood there for about 20 or 30 minutes whilst an illustrator drew that picture for Mario, rather than just have a polygonal photograph

the illustration is likely in 3D :D

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
DXB-KNIGHT said:
The intro can be seen in 3D during the 2nd Nintendo 3DS Show on the eShop!

...What?
Only NA, right?
Do you mean the 3DS counterpart to Nintendo News or something else?

Mpl90 said:
...What?
Only NA, right?
Do you mean the 3DS counterpart to Nintendo News or something else?
Yes the 3DS counterpart to the Nintendo channel show and I think its most likely NA only since they mentioned that its the show's exclusive trailer.

Fantastical said:
3DS show is so much better than that Nintendo Channel bullshit.

Nintendo Week is pretty ridiculous, but at least it has some eye candy in Allison. They showcase some serious stinkers on that show.

I'll have to check out the 3DS show after work today. Excited to see some SM3DL stuff!

21alu.jpg

Why not the good ol' Propeller Suit?

Hypatia

Looks utterly fantastic. Would like it if they included some new powerups that did something we haven't seen before though. Also Yoshi. Is Yoshi in it?

Almost makes me want to buy a 3DS. Almost. I guess I'll just have to borrow/steal one instead.

AlexMeloche said:

It's so they can have the temporary powerups required to solve a puzzle/finish a level a la mario galaxy without people having to get rid of their ordinary powerup suit.

This way you can have a tanooki suit & wear the box over it for propellor-box related segments.

Pretty genius way to get the best from both worlds, really.

Neoriceisgood said:
It's so they can have the temporary powerups required to solve a puzzle/finish a level a la mario galaxy without people having to get rid of their ordinary powerup suit.

This way you can have a tanooki suit & wear the box over it for propellor-box related segments.

Pretty genius way to get the best from both worlds, really.

Oooh, didn't thought of that.

Riposte

This game doesn't look like it will be good. The 3D environment is a pretty big turn off and the camera angle and scope makes it seem like it won't be a good 3D Mario either. I guess people have come to call it a hybrid of sorts? Without the strengths of either. I hope there is something I am missing.

I feel like I am getting NSMB flashbacks.

EDIT: I watched all the videos, but the trailer lol. The trailer looks like it might have some good 3D Mario levels. Still don't know what to make of it.

watershed

Banned
Looks great, I like the new trailer the best. The floating and disappearing platforms look like they will provide faster gameplay and the level design is beginning to look more varied.

Mista Koo

The tail thing is a bit overkill, but I really hope some worlds are other power-ups themed (frog suit please).

Berordn said:
Agreed, it sounds like the worst parts of SM64 and NSMB's overworld themes with bad instrumentation.
Funny, I've never liked NSMB's overworld and I like this.

DXB-KNIGHT said:
Hello Nintendo
8433_7_100.jpg
this is used to skip levels
I've always seen that as a tooth.

Edit: The propeller cube being huge is genius!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Riposte said:
This game doesn't look like it will be good. The 3D environment is a pretty big turn off and the camera angle and scope makes it seem like it won't be a good 3D Mario either. I guess people have come to call it a hybrid of sorts? Without the strengths of either. I hope there is something I am missing.

I feel like I am getting NSMB flashbacks.

EDIT: I watched all the videos, but the trailer lol. The trailer looks like it might have some good 3D Mario levels. Still don't know what to make of it.

The camera angle is weird but I have a feeling it makes perfect sense with autostereoscopic 3D. The levels seem brilliantly designed (I didn't get that feeling at first, but these new trailers are busting with them) and while the controls still seem weird to me, I don't think it will be a huge issue.

Looks a million times better than the blandness and sterility that was the original NSMB.

linko9

Wow, the gameplay is looking much more 3d than in previous video I've seen of the game, I can't wait.

Liking all the variety in the gameplay. Not too much a fan of the top down view stuff, but I'm sure that it will be much more fun to play that than watch. Also, look like Nintendo took some cues from modern sonic games with the 2D/3D switching going on. And please, tell me that the music will be more than that annoying theme in-game.

Mista Koo said:
The tail thing is a bit overkill, but I really hope some worlds are other power-ups themed (frog suit please).

Funny, I've never liked NSMB's overworld and I like this.

I've always seen that as a tooth.
Well... can't unsee now. Thanks a lot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Andrex said:
This is the one that took me from "cautiously hyped" to "mega hyped."

mDnC6.png

Also, are these the bees from SML2? They don't look like the ones from SMG...

To answer my own question, it does indeed seem like these are the enemies called "Bee'zerk" in Super Mario Land 2.

ippjl.png

Berordn

AlexMeloche said:
Presumably so you can't use it in levels where it'd be a gigantic shortcut/detrimental to the design. In the trailer you can see him wearing it with the bastardized Tanooki Suit so it's not a true power-up.

edit: kind of like an inverted shoe, now that I think about it

MegaByte

Andrex said:
To answer my own question, it does indeed seem like these are the enemies called "Bee'zerk" in Super Mario Land 2.

ippjl.png
First, that isn't actually their name
The title of this article is conjectural; an official name for the article's subject has not been found, so it has been given a fitting title by editors.
Second, they can't be the same -- one has a stinger for a butt, and the other on its face.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
UnlovedJew said:
Also, look like Nintendo took some cues from modern sonic games with the 2D/3D switching going on.

Eh? Galaxy was pulling that off a year before Unleashed.

MegaByte said:
First, that isn't actually their name
Second, they can't be the same -- one has a stinger for a butt, and the other on its face.

Stop being mean and killing my theories. :(

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
MisterHero said:
Hee hee I'm imagining that Bowser stood there for about 20 or 30 minutes whilst an illustrator drew that picture for Mario, rather than just have a polygonal photograph

the illustration is likely in 3D :D
just saw the nintendo show video and yea it is in 3d. looks good too.

Has a lot of Crash Bandicoot in it, but that's not a bad thing at all. Looks great, too bad I'm waiting for the 3DS revision or I would get it day one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Panajev2001a said:
I did not see a Long Jump, there was a section in which the player could have easily used a long jump, but did not and decided to do a normal jump instead after judciously checking the distance from one platform to the other (gameplay video).

No long jump (?) + run button + level timer... The 3DS could do justice to a Super Mario 64/Super Mario Galaxy kind of game... they pushed out Super Mario 64 to the DS too, why cannot the 3DS receive that kind of Mario too? Hopefully, Nintendo will ALSO release such a title in addition to this game and a new NSMB game.

I do believe I've seen the long jump used before in a gameplay vid from E3.

Top Bottom