• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World: New Trailer

cube444

Party game

ibaHCdguZvTrWY.gif

Right.

:lol Holy shit @ that Luigi jumping ability.

zoukka

I liked Super Mario 64 a lot, but it is the most lightning-in-a-bottle game Nintendo has ever made. Any iteration on that formula would feel pretty stale once the nostalgia wears off.

That game changed the industry, but you can only do that once with the same ideas.

Sense, this post makes none.

I'm ok with the removal of the health system from previous 3D Mario console games.

One thing I don't like from this is timers, I wish they hadn't added them. Flag poles I don't care about.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm ok with the removal of the health system from previous 3D Mario console games.

One thing I don't like from this is timers, I wish they hadn't added them. Flag poles I don't care about.

The timer is really not an issue at all. It might as well not be there. Don't recall any instances in 3D Land where time was a factor. When there was, it was due to Shadow Mario chasing after you which was also in Galaxy.

Lijik

Sense, this post makes none.

I think hes trying to convey that the people going "Mario 64 blew my mind and no other game has made me feel like that, they should make Mario 64 2 to blow my mind again" are basically setting themselves up for disappointment even if a new Mario 64-esque game was made again

The timer is really not an issue at all. It might as well not be there. Don't recall any instances in 3D Land where time was a factor. When there was, it was due to Shadow Mario chasing after you which was also in Galaxy.

That's what I mean. If they're not going to be any challenge at all, just don't put them in (or put them Galaxy style).

They might not be a challenge, but they are restrictive and annoying. I can't just chill and sip a beer as I see Mario fall sleep.

RagnarokX

That's what I mean. If they're not going to be any challenge at all, just don't put them in (or put them Galaxy style).

They might not be a challenge, but they are restrictive and annoying. I can't just chill and sip a beer as I see Mario fall sleep.

The timer is basically there for multiplayer purposes. In 3DLand you would get streetpass/spotpass data showing you a rival's time. It's not there to kill you.

They should just make the timer count up, but I suppose they wanted it to be classic.

Gsnap

But the question is, why would you want to do that?

RagnarokX

I suppose I should post this here, too:

World 1:
bWwdBW6.jpg

1-1: ??? oceanside grass level
1-2: ??? underground level
Slot Machine
Chargin' Chuck Blockade
Toad House
1-3: Mount Beanpole
1-4: Sea Serpent Ride
1-5: Switch Scramble Circus
Hedge Secret
Captain Toad challenge level
1-Castle: Bowser's Highway

World 2:
QzwS62k.png

2-1: ??? Desert bird level
2-2: ??? Bowser statue
Item block symbol in ground
2-3: Shadow Play Alley
Circus tent?

zroid

Banned
Its a grower and not really trailer material imo. I had to listen to a few 8bit remixes before it really clicked with me. It has that "Short, memorable, and you can listen to it on repeat for hours" vibe the NES Marios were forced to have by necessity of limited music space.
At the same time, I dont know if its the most grabbing theme to use in a trailer (the big band theme in the latest trailer is a perfect choice in contrast). I felt the same way about the 3D Land theme which is great to listen to on its own, but feels limp when used in a trailer meant to excite.

Very true. It's not particularly bombastic, which is best suited for trailers. Especially reveal trailers.

The timer is basically there for multiplayer purposes. In 3DLand you would get streetpass/spotpass data showing you a rival's time. It's not there to kill you.

They should just make the timer count up, but I suppose they wanted it to be classic.

They're still not needed though. Galaxy recorded how much time it took you to beat each level. They could do that rival's time thing without a timer.

Because I can?

Gsnap

Because I can?

You want to sit around and not play the game simply because you can? The game is built to be played. The timer is there so that getting all 3 green stars and getting to the end in one run is at least somewhat challenging. If you had all the time in the world people would be complaining about how this game is too easy (But then again, I'm sure they'll complain about that anyway...)

You want to sit around and not play the game simply because you can? The game is built to be played. The timer is there so that getting all 3 green stars and getting to the end in one run is at least somewhat challenging. If you had all the time in the world people would be complaining about how this game is too easy (But then again, I'm sure they'll complain about that anyway...)

The%20point-you.jpg

Oh and the stars challenge should be a platforming challenge, not a time one. Galaxy used time challenge really well (in small pockets).

If people complained the game is easy, it would probably be because it is easy level wise, time is not a factor.

Gsnap

No I get your point. You just made it in a ridiculous way. You want to have all the time in the world to explore and platform to your hearts content without "the game" getting in the way and telling you to hurry up, right? You feel like the game is preventing you from doing what you want when you want, right?

In a Mario game like Sunshine, I would see this as a valid point. The levels in that game are huge. But for 3D World, I simply don't see how interesting it is to explore one of these levels for a really long time. They're smaller. They're challenge based. There are some secrets to find and things to explore to make repeats runs interesting, but they're not really built to just run around in them for hours. Besides, Mario games have had timers since forever, so I don't see how NOW it's a problem for some people, when I've never seen this complaint brought up before.

No I get your point. You just made it in a ridiculous way. You want to have all the time in the world to explore and platform to your hearts content without "the game" getting in the way and telling you to hurry up, right? You feel like the game is preventing you from doing what you want when you want, right?

In a Mario game like Sunshine, I would see this as a valid point. The levels in that game are huge. But for 3D World, I simply don't see how interesting it is to explore one of these levels for a really long time. They're smaller. They're challenge based. There are some secrets to find and things to explore to make repeats runs interesting, but they're not really built to just run around in them for hours. Besides, Mario games have had timers since forever, so I don't see how NOW it's a problem for some people, when I've never seen this complaint brought up before.

I don't give a fuck about exploring shit, and saying they were there before doesn't excuse them for being back (at least in the past they were a bit more challenging). It doesn't matter if the worlds aren't as big. Like I said before, the challenge should be in the platforming, not in the time (at least not in most cases); they're not even needed to check how much time it took you to beat a level.

So what if the games are not built to run around for hours? I couldn't care less about that. If they're not there for challenge, they don't need to be there.

read my previous post again for the edited reply.

Gsnap

Again.

The%20point-you.jpg

I don't give a fuck about exploring shit, and saying they were there before doesn't excuse them for being back (at least in the past they were a bit more challenging). It doesn't matter if the worlds aren't as big. Like I said before, the challenge should be in the platforming, not in the time (at least not in most cases); they're not even needed to check how much time it took you to beat a level.

So what if the games are not built to run around for hours? I couldn't care less about that. If they're not there for challenge, they don't need to be there.

read my previous post again for the edited reply.

Well in that case the timer doesn't affect you. Because if all you're worried about is the challenge of the platforming, you're obviously going to get that. And if you don't care about exploration then you'll have plenty of time to complete the levels, and the timer won't affect you at all.... So I guess I still don't understand why you would bother complaining about something that seemingly doesn't affect you.

EDIT: Also consider this. Certain green stars are based on the challenge of platforming, yes. And from what I've seen, those are in plain site and you simply need to have the skill to reach them. Which means the timer doesn't negatively affect them. But, there are also green stars that are exploration based. They are hidden somewhere, and the "challenge" is in finding them, not reaching them. If the game is going to have exploration stars as well as platforming stars, then it kinda needs the timer. Because without the timer exploration stars have zero challenge whatsoever. You just run around hitting every obvious spot until you find them. So the timer does add something in that case. Now, you could argue that they should do away with those stars and only have platforming stars. I would disagree, because I think exploration stars are fun, but at least then your argument would make more sense to me. Because as it stands, the timer doesn't actually affect you.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Countdown timers have never been a net positive in any Mario game and really shouldn't be defended.

By and large, they add tedium, not challenge. Their biggest impact in the past several years is forcing you to exit to the map and restart levels when looking for star coins in NSMB.

Pretty much the only times I thought they added anything of value were the handful of challenge stages in 3D Land with very short timers. Because those levels are actually designed around it. They're terrible when used as a universal game mechanic.

I can't believe people are defending timers in Mario games. Outside Luigi U, they have never benefited a single Mario game. It's an awful game mechanic for a platformer that encourages exploration.

It probably won't matter much, but it damn sure doesn't improve the game.

BowieZ

Banned
I can't believe people are defending timers in Mario games. Outside Luigi U, they have never benefited a single Mario game. It's an awful game mechanic for a platformer that encourages exploration.

It probably won't matter much, but it damn sure doesn't improve the game.
Collectible timepieces are back. Just another fun thing to try to get.

Countdown timers have never been a net positive in any Mario game and really shouldn't be defended.

By and large, they add tedium, not challenge. Their biggest impact in the past several years is forcing you to exit to the map and restart levels when looking for star coins in NSMB.

Pretty much the only times I thought they added anything of value were the handful of challenge stages in 3D Land with very short timers. Because those levels are actually designed around it. They're terrible when used as a universal game mechanic.

Perfectly put.

LocalE

There's worse ways to enjoy a few drinks of a beer.

Mario 64 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I don't think my enjoyment of it would have been enhanced by a timer.
I doubt I'll be raging against the timer in this game, but I also fail to see what it adds. If I want to spend five hours looking for green stars or just fucking around in a level, why should I need to care about an arbitrary timer?
A level that presents you with a task or an objective that must be reached before something bad happens is one thing. But when the "bad thing" happening is just an arbitrary clock reaching 0, I would have to agree that most of the time it adds nothing to the game as a whole, and for some it may be a negative.

The clock in this game doesn't bother me personally though. Mario levels on a timer is nothing new to me. No big deal.

HoJu

Collectible timepieces are back. Just another fun thing to try to get.

those are only fun for the time challenges. because it actually challenges you to beat the level in a certain amount of time.
seems worthless for the regular levels.

Odrion

Banned
I just realized this game is out in a MONTH. A MONTH. This is the quickest "Overhyped to Purchase" for me to date.

Now I just got to... buy... a WiiU. :\

Tuck

The%20point-you.jpg

Oh and the stars challenge should be a platforming challenge, not a time one. Galaxy used time challenge really well (in small pockets).

If people complained the game is easy, it would probably be because it is easy level wise, time is not a factor.

Aside from those time-challenge levels, the time limit was never a problem in 3D Land. Not even once.

Kangi

I'd also like to know that

From the thread where he went on a giant rant about TLOU. Someone pointed out that he was a junior (he was demoted after a lot of stupid threads), he insisted there was a difference and that he just had his thread-posting privileges removed. And thus his tag was changed to reflect that he is, in fact, 100% junior member.

If the Wii U is as easy to hack as the Wii it will be fun to turn the timers off and explore the levels. It's kind of that Majora's Mask effect: the timer will generally not negatively affect you, but it will never positively affect you and adds a feeling of claustrophobia when you try to not just rush through the environment.

mf luder

They could at least add an option to turn the timer off once you've finished the game. Someone should tweet them or let them know on miiverse, but in what community? NSMBU?

Lijik

I dont mind the timer in 3D Land, but I also dont get the defense over it. Other than a handful of levels designed around it, theres no challenge really derived from it. You'd have to be really bad for it to pose a threat in 90% of the stages. Its not a "I dont want it because Im a baby gamer who baby games" thing like some posters try to imply. Theres no reason they cant have a timer that counts up for the time trials (or turn on a time trial mode where the clock counts down or something) and save the forced countdown for specific levels.

In a game like the first Jet Set Radio, I feel like the timer is completely integral to the objective design. Remove it, and its not really the same game. I dont get that same feeling with 3D Land/World

I suppose I should post this here, too:

World 1:
bWwdBW6.jpg

1-1: ??? oceanside grass level
1-2: ??? underground level
Slot Machine
Chargin' Chuck Blockade
Toad House
1-3: Mount Beanpole
1-4: Sea Serpent Ride
1-5: Switch Scramble Circus
Hedge Secret
Captain Toad challenge level
1-Castle: Bowser's Highway

World 2:
QzwS62k.png

2-1: ??? Desert bird level
2-2: ??? Bowser statue
Item block symbol in ground
2-3: Shadow Play Alley
Circus tent?

Why is this game following the exact same formula of the past 2 NSMB games?

World 1: Grassy
World 2: Desert
World 3: Snow
etc. etc. How about shaking things up?

Comet Observatory. COMET OBSERVATORY! ROSALINA!!!!! Wart attacks Rosalina after Bowser is defeated? Oh god pleaassse yes and throw in Princess Daisy for good measure!!

Yeah, I don't get why they try to standardize the whole franchise and follow the same tired themes since the NSMB games came into existence. You might have hoped now that they go into ,,a new kindgom'' they might try some new aesthetics and feel, like Yoshi's Island in the original SMW, but nope - here come the predictable NSMB tropes in the same exact order. Something fresh like Galaxy seems like a pipe dream all of a sudden. Even Paper Mario now had to adept itself to the generic NSMB aesthetics :/ (Although while many hated it, I actually thought IS at least got somewhat of a personality into it in Sticker Star)

RagnarokX

The worlds are like that, but look at the actual levels. In world 1 only two of them fit the world theme, one of them is a circus level, one is a tropical dinosaur surfing level, another is an underground level, and another is a castle. In World 2 you have a desert level, some level having to do with a bowser statue, an underground level with that awesome shadow gameplay, a level that looks like desserts or something, and possibly another grass level.

We had Galaxy use the same tropes as well, they just didn't have worlds, they had domes. Galaxy still had grass levels and desert levels and snow levels. It also had some space levels, a toy level, a candy level.

3D World has those tropes, it also has candy levels, train levels, circus levels, tank levels, bowser in a car...

Sunshine was apparently amazing by the standards of people who hate on this game and it was nothing but tropical levels.

Then we get this world:

igjJJcmg071ou.png

There might be a level between the volcanic level and the train/roller coaster level.

There's also a pipe and a warp block over to the right, and the ferris wheel has the koopa clown car's face on it.

Also the flagpoles in the other worlds become topped with a green star once you collect them all. The flagpoles in this world are topped with gold stars. Could that mean something?

The worlds are like that, but look at the actual levels. In world 1 only two of them fit the world theme, one of them is a circus level, one is a tropical dinosaur surfing level, another is an underground level, and another is a castle. In World 2 you have a desert level, some level having to do with a bowser statue, an underground level with that awesome shadow gameplay, a level that looks like desserts or something, and possibly another grass level.

We had Galaxy use the same tropes as well, they just didn't have worlds, they had domes. Galaxy still had grass levels and desert levels and snow levels. It also had some space levels, a toy level, a candy level.

3D World has those tropes, it also has candy levels, train levels, circus levels, tank levels, bowser in a car...

The ,,packaging'' of all that still does either wonders or harm to the overall atmosphere of the game. Which is why the NSMB games, even the ones with very good level design, aren't gonna be superior to SMW. Because outside of some fun levels, they completely lack any excitement/wonder outside of that which other Mario's could still offer on top of that. Now the series tends to become some big lump of content thats soon gonna be indistinguishable.

Reminds me of when I was actually curious what was in the tornado world of NSMBU and... oh shit, it actually is just the same lava themed stages and mechanics from the last game. :lol

RagnarokX

The ,,packaging'' of all that still does either wonders or harm to the overall atmosphere of the game. Which is why the NSMB games, even the ones with very good level design, aren't gonna be superior to SMW. Because outside of some fun levels, they completely lack any excitement/wonder outside of that which other Mario's could still offer on top of that. Now the series tends to become some big lump of content thats soon gonna be indistinguishable.
The packaging of the levels in Mario Galaxy was ass and nobody lets that ruin the game. The presentation of the world maps in this game is like a million times more exciting.

Reminds me of when I was actually curious what was in the tornado world of NSMBU and... oh shit, it actually is just the same lava themed stages and mechanics from the last game. :lol
Uh... but there's no tornado here... you can see that it's a fantastical carnival floating in the sky...

Arkam

Does NOT make me want to buy a Wii U.

I would have loved that when I was 11 though.

Not to be rude, but this comment makes me assume you are about 15.
Oh no bright colors and no violence, must be for babies!
Someday you will grow up.

Anyway...
This game looks so damned good!!!!
Needs to come out NOW!!!

Top Bottom