• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World: New Trailer

Welp

ldMQKvj.jpg

I did it :D

I think it's "I do it!".

The packaging of the levels in Mario Galaxy was ass and nobody lets that ruin the game. The presentation of the world maps in this game is like a million times more exciting.

haha. No, Galaxy obviously had a whole new and fresh gravity/space theme going for it, coming with a brandnew core concept of gameplay.
This is not only a blatant 3D Land retread, but the uninspired packaging/presentation that follows the generic NSMB aesthetic formula is just one of the reasons why this game simply feels cheap, like the recent 2D entries despite good level design, compared to older entries that were still exciting and representing more than barely a somewhat fun pack of levels. (Recycled music in some gameplay vids also doesn't help)

I'm not that into the Rayman Origins fandom, but it's easily understandable why so many people hold that game at a higher regards than the Marios right now. The games still offer a real identity on top of good level design. The latest Mario games don't, they all gettin standardized through aspects like this.

Uh... but there's no tornado here... you can see that it's a fantastical carnival floating in the sky...

Just saying that it doesn't say much just because some minor aspect seem to show minor traces of changing the NSMB tropes for now.

RagnarokX

b5YKeTp.png

haha. No, Galaxy obviously had a whole new and fresh gravity/space theme going for it, coming with a brandnew core concept of gameplay.
This is not only a blatant 3D Land retread, but the uninspired packaging/presentation that follows the generic NSMB aesthetic formula is just one of the reasons why this game simply feels cheap, like the recent 2D entries despite good level design, compared to older entries that were still exciting and representing more than barely a somewhat fun pack of levels. (Recycled music in some gameplay vids also doesn't help)

I'm not that into the Rayman Origins fandom, but it's easily understandable why so many people hold that game at a higher regards than the Marios right now. The games still offer a real identity on top of good level design. The latest Mario games don't, they all gettin standardized through aspects like this.
You're talking about the "worlds", the packaging the levels are in. The Comet Observatory was a sterile and boring place. The "worlds" were the domes (terrace, bath, kitchen, bedroom, engine room, and garden) and they were cramped boring rooms that you could choose levels from.

It's a "blatant 3DLand retread" but 3DLand didn't really use level tropes for the worlds, just colored backgrounds with random themes that had nothing to do with any of the levels. It's "using the NSMB" formula but only 2 levels in World 1 even fit the them of the World and at least one of them introduces a brand new theme to the franchise.

qoad2Tj.jpg

Just saying that it doesn't say much just because some minor aspect seem to show minor traces of changing the NSMB tropes for now.

Of course it makes a difference. You can see what the levels are.

Grinchy

Banned
The first time they showed this game at the E3 Direct, it looked like a shitty 3DS port. Every time they've showed footage since then, it has looked better and better. This and Mario Kart 8 make me really want a Wii U.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The first time they showed this game at the E3 Direct, it looked like a shitty 3DS port. Every time they've showed footage since then, it has looked better and better. This and Mario Kart 8 make me really want a Wii U.

That so many people said "shitty 3ds port" demonstrates how many can't separate art style from technology, design, and even play mechanics.

Some people even insisted it was an HD "uprez" of the 3DS game in a literal sense - they could see the portable pixels or something. Everything revealed about the game now makes a cautionary tale: be wary of strung out fans, their cynicism is can be rather distorting.

That so many people said "shitty 3ds port" demonstrates how many can't separate art style from technology, design, and even play mechanics.

Some people even insisted it was an HD "uprez" of the 3DS game in a literal sense - they could see the portable pixels or something. Everything revealed about the game now makes a cautionary tale: be wary of strung out fans, their cynicism is can be rather distorting.

It's not a port and it's not an literal uprez. That's obvious. But on the other side, there's a lot of willful denial that this is a direct sequel that shares its core mechanics and design with 3D Land.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

2/10

Speaking of uninspired re-hashes, you really need to step your game.

It's not a port and it's not an literal uprez. That's obvious. But on the other side, there's a lot of willful denial that this is a direct sequel that shares its core mechanics and design with 3D Land.

No, people are denying the intonation that it's somehow a bad thing. Like, somehow being in any way related to a handheld game is unthinkable, those games are toxic shallow games for casuals and babies, etc.

RagnarokX

The only people denying that this was a sequel were the dissenters; throwing around terms like "level pack". What's been argued is that that's not a bad thing and that Nintendo would elevate it far beyond the 3DS game and Wii games. What you've been unwilling to do is acknowledge that this is a sequel to Galaxy as well and that 3D Mario has been moving in this direction ever since Galaxy.

The dirty secret of Mario fandom is that the 3D land formula is a better adaptation of Mario into 3D space than the Mario 64 formula ever was.

3D land/world is how 3D Mario was always meant to be.

And everyone kind of knows it, whether or not they like to admit it.

The only people denying that this was a sequel were the dissenters; throwing around terms like "level pack". What's been argued is that that's not a bad thing and that Nintendo would elevate it far beyond the 3DS game and Wii games. What you've been unwilling to do is acknowledge that this is a sequel to Galaxy as well and that 3D Mario has been moving in this direction ever since Galaxy.

Anyone with eyes can see this isn't a Galaxy game. (Not that I wanted another Galaxy anyway.) I think it's important to differentiate between a direct sequel, one clearly based off the prior mechanics, and a game that is in the same lineage.

Sure, this is a 3D platformer and so was Mario 64, so this is a sequel to Mario 64. But saying that just obfuscates discussion. The game is clearly a direct take off of the mechanics and square-tiled level design philosophy of 3D Land. Whether or not that's good is up to you, but let's call a spade a spade.

---

civilstrife said:
The dirty secret of Mario fandom is that the 3D land formula is a better adaptation of Mario into 3D space than the Mario 64 formula ever was.

You're absolutely correct. This is what is meant by the homogenization of the two series. Nintendo has tried very hard to make 3D __ into the 3D version of the 2D games, particularly NSMB with the three collectible coins. This is great for 2D purists and bad for people that liked having more variety.

guit3457

I have been in Tokyo a lot of times but last year I decided to make a tour to some of the videogame companies HQ.

From min 0 to 3:30 you can see EAD Tokyo (after that I went to SONY, From, Namco Bandai, Konami, etc

To reach EAD TOkyo you can easily walk from Akihabara, which is amazing!!

Anyway, can't believe that from those boring twin buildings thety produce such amazing games XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVFltbxpEvk

EDIT: It's in spanish BTW.

Although 3Dland is not a true successor to Mario 64 (which they need to bloody make!!) this trailer for 3D World is hella impressive and looks like it'd be an absolute blast to play. I think there's room for both. I really enjoyed the open-world aspect of Mario 64, but I think this game looks great too.

However great it may be though, I can't justify a $300 Wii U and $50-60 pro controller (cause the tablet thing is shit) for a single game. Knowing that 3PP for Wii U is all but nonexistent, it's gonna take more than a single game.

If Nintendo can come out with 3 or 4 more must-haves for the Wii U then I might bite, but until then I'll just enjoy videos of this game in action.

Jirotrom

Platformers are best when they're linear. The Mario 64 collectathon style with huge emphasis on exploring an open environment is not a style I'm fond of for a platformer. I for one am glad that Mario games are finally starting to actually have a more 2D Mario like approach for the 3D games.

The Galaxy games improved the series immensely by making it a much more linear focused platforming experience compared to the previous 3D games. 3D Land went a step further and really felt like a 2D Mario game in 3D. 3D World looks to be improving on that style even further and I love it. I do not want the super open style of 64 to return. Ever. The way the series is going right now is what I want. A fantastic linear focused platformer with great level design. I do not want huge open levels that are focused more on exploration than tight platforming. The change to a linear style was for the better.

AMEN

Berordn

However great it may be though, I can't justify a $300 Wii U and $50-60 pro controller (cause the tablet thing is shit) for a single game.

Have you tried the gamepad in person yet? The tablet's actually super comfortable to use, regardless of if you care for the screen or not.

This is what I've been trying to say for months already but Nintendo apologists keep giving me shit for it.

However great it may be though, I can't justify a $300 Wii U and $50-60 pro controller (cause the tablet thing is shit) for a single game.

1. The tablet is literally just a dual analog pad with a screen. It's light and comfortable. The screen is nigh worthless, but there's no need for anyone to get a pro controller as a primary pad.

2. Pikmin 3.

The ,,packaging'' of all that still does either wonders or harm to the overall atmosphere of the game. Which is why the NSMB games, even the ones with very good level design, aren't gonna be superior to SMW. Because outside of some fun levels, they completely lack any excitement/wonder outside of that which other Mario's could still offer on top of that. Now the series tends to become some big lump of content thats soon gonna be indistinguishable.

Reminds me of when I was actually curious what was in the tornado world of NSMBU and... oh shit, it actually is just the same lava themed stages and mechanics from the last game. :lol

Because fuck gameplay, what matters is the overworld theme!

JSoup

Banned
I was surprised at how interested in the game the trailer made me. Not that I didn't expect it to be good, just not really grab me the way it did. Got a very Mario 64 type feeling to it, both the game and the feeling I got watching gameplay. The presence of the timer kinda brought me down a bit, though, but it is what it is.

RagnarokX

Anyone with eyes can see this isn't a Galaxy game. (Not that I wanted another Galaxy anyway.) I think it's important to differentiate between a direct sequel, one clearly based off the prior mechanics, and a game that is in the same lineage.

Sure, this is a 3D platformer and so was Mario 64, so this is a sequel to Mario 64. But saying that just obfuscates discussion. The game is clearly a direct take off of the mechanics and square-tiled level design philosophy of 3D Land. Whether or not that's good is up to you, but let's call a spade a spade.
Of course anyone with eyes can see this isn't a Galaxy game just like anyone with eyes can see that Galaxy wasn't Mario 64, yet you accept Galaxy as a sequel and not this. This game follows from the linear 3D platforming focus that Galaxy started.

You're absolutely correct. This is what is meant by the homogenization of the two series. Nintendo has tried very hard to make 3D __ into the 3D version of the 2D games, particularly NSMB with the three collectible coins. This is great for 2D purists and bad for people that liked having more variety.

More variety? You champion Sunshine as a worthy 3D Mario sequel. That game is nothing but tropical trope levels and full of repetitive missions.

I have been in Tokyo a lot of times but last year I decided to make a tour to some of the videogame companies HQ.

From min 0 to 3:30 you can see EAD Tokyo (after that I went to SONY, From, Namco Bandai, Konami, etc

To reach EAD TOkyo you can easily walk from Akihabara, which is amazing!!

Anyway, can't believe that from those boring twin buildings thety produce such amazing games XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVFltbxpEvk

EDIT: It's in spanish BTW.

nice video thanks

Of course anyone with eyes can see this isn't a Galaxy game just like anyone with eyes can see that Galaxy wasn't Mario 64, yet you accept Galaxy as a sequel and not this. This game follows from the linear 3D platforming focus that Galaxy started.

In the first post that you quoted from me on this page, I used the words "direct sequel."

More variety? You champion Sunshine as a worthy 3D Mario sequel. That game is nothing but tropical trope levels and full of repetitive missions.

I'm not going to argue that Sunshine is a better game than Mario 64 or Galaxy. It's not. But the addition of FLUDD fundamentally changed Mario's moveset and, as a result, his interactions with the world. The "shooting" mechanic and hover mechanic dictated how most missions were structured and how the platforming was done. And this in turn, affected the wide-open world design.

That's an example of how changing the core of a game is often more significant than adding a few new power-ups. By changing the fundamentals, you often see a butterfly effect from the center of the game outward. A lot of people really don't like Sunshine, but in its own way, that's proof that the game was pushing the boundaries.

Conezays

Like others have echoed on here, the new trailer looks fantastic. My only comment would be that the game doesn't look particularly hard...that being said, it's fair that a trailer's not going to show the most exciting/most difficult areas of the game. Still, most of the enemies look easily avoidable/easy to fight. Just my 2 cents...still getting day 1 no question.

RagnarokX

In the first post that you quoted from me on this page, I used the words "direct sequel."

Direct sequel means the plot directly follows the previous plot. This game might be a direct sequel to Galaxy. There is the comet observatory.

I'm not going to argue that Sunshine is a better game than Mario 64 or Galaxy. It's not. But the addition of FLUDD fundamentally changed Mario's moveset and, as a result, his interactions with the world. The "shooting" mechanic and hover mechanic dictated how most missions were structured and how the platforming was done. And this in turn, affected the wide-open world design.

That's an example of how changing the core of a game is often more significant than adding a few new power-ups. By changing the fundamentals, you often see a butterfly effect from the center of the game outward. A lot of people really don't like Sunshine, but in its own way, that's proof that the game was pushing the boundaries.
The hover mechanic dumbed down platforming by making it easier to recover from mistakes. It's functionally like a version of the cape where you don't lose altitude so long as you have water. The water spraying mechanic just added tedious chores to the gameplay. There was very little fun usage of it. Regardless of how you feel about the FLUDD, they certainly didn't utilize it. There is a reason that most people feel that the FLUDDless levels were the best part of the game. Missions were very repetitive and showed almost no improvement over Mario 64 and in a lot of ways, by your own admission, they were worse. They were repetitive and tedious. Bigger worlds with less to do.

With this game you have powerups that fundamentally change the way Mario interacts with the levels but you dismiss them only on the basis that they are temporary. What does it matter if they add more than FLUDD ever did?

1. The tablet is literally just a dual analog pad with a screen. It's light and comfortable. The screen is nigh worthless, but there's no need for anyone to get a pro controller as a primary pad.

2. Pikmin 3.

To me it's an absolute must. Yeah the pad controller is lightweight enough, but it drains batteries way too fast. I play marathon stretches a lot and I don't want to be dealing with a dying controller mid session on a regular basis.

Also I've held the tablet controller and as light as it may be, it's supremely uncomfortable to game on for my tastes. If the Wii U drops to $199, has a killer Zelda game alongside this one and 2 or 3 other killer titles, I'll probably bite because then I can justify the cost, because for me the system is automatically $50-60 more expensive than the sticker when I factor in getting the pro controller.

Sorry, but I never cared for the Pikmin games, like at all.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is not only a blatant 3D Land retread, but the uninspired packaging/presentation that follows the generic NSMB aesthetic formula is just one of the reasons why this game simply feels cheap..
I do not exagerate saying this is the hundredth time you wrote this about Mario 3D World. You could actually be close to 200 (300?) posts trashing the game with the exact same words. No hyperbole. Seriously.

It looks like you're not a crow eating guy, but when it's you against the Internet, what's in it for you?

Yeah the pad controller is lightweight enough, but it drains batteries way too fast. I play marathon stretches a lot and I don't want to be dealing with a dying controller mid session on a regular basis.

I just keep mine plugged in while playing. The official Wii U High Capacity-Battery should be out in Europe as of yesterday. You could always import it, assuming you don't live in Europe.

bart64

Banned
To me it's an absolute must. Yeah the pad controller is lightweight enough, but it drains batteries way too fast. I play marathon stretches a lot and I don't want to be dealing with a dying controller mid session on a regular basis.

Also I've held the tablet controller and as light as it may be, it's supremely uncomfortable to game on for my tastes. If the Wii U drops to $199, has a killer Zelda game alongside this one and 2 or 3 other killer titles, I'll probably bite because then I can justify the cost, because for me the system is automatically $50-60 more expensive than the sticker when I factor in getting the pro controller.

Sorry, but I never cared for the Pikmin games, like at all.

The gamepad can be plugged into the wall independent of the console, so instead of carrying a heavy battery, you can plug it in and forget about it.

It's also very comfortable to hold for me, and about twenty people which have played at my house have all said it feals really good as soon as they hold it. It seems you're part of a small minority, do you have really small hands?

It's an expertly designed system hardware wise, and a great value too. You get a system more powerful than a ps3, that's half the size, and a tablet that in some ways beats the best in the market, and an awesome game, for $300.

Direct sequel means the plot directly follows the previous plot. This game might be a direct sequel to Galaxy. There is the comet observatory.

I'm using it to differentiate between games like Galaxy, that are sequels in the sense that they are in the same lineage as the previous franchise, and Galaxy 2, which is obviously a direct sequel.

The water spraying mechanic just added tedious chores to the gameplay. There was very little fun usage of it. Regardless of how you feel about the FLUDD, they certainly didn't utilize it.

I'm not going to dispute if you thought the FLUDD mechanics were fun or not, but they obviously utilized it. If it changed things enough that you felt it was tedious and dumbed down platforming, then they made use of it. You could argue they didn't utilize it well, but that's, like, your opinion, man.

With this game you have powerups that fundamentally change the way Mario interacts with the levels but you dismiss them only on the basis that they are temporary. What does it matter if they add more than FLUDD ever did?

Well, I tried to explain that as with Sunshine, changing the fundamentals has a ripple effect out. Compare this to Galaxy 2, which added a lot of creative power-ups (Spring, Rock, Boo, Drill) that each had their place in those specific levels, but overall the feel of the game is still definitively 'Galaxy'.

Changing the core mechanics of a game can give a game a whole different feel. As we both agree, Sunshine ended up with much wider, open levels. The spraying mechanic gave it more mission-focus (which you found tedious).

Personally, I think the cherries look like a very fun mechanic. And I've said from the beginning that I hope they somehow "force" you to use the cat suit even though you can lose it when you get hit. But for those of us that wanted a more substantive shake-up, I don't think there's an argument that this game does that even as much as Sunshine, let alone Galaxy.

Now, I know you like NSMB. But for me, after NSMB2, the series completely killed my interest in the 2D Mario games. This game is analogous to NSMB Wii. And I'm not talking about level tropes. It's moving from handheld to console, so it'll be larger in scale. The level design will be better. And there's new power ups. But the core of the game is the same as before.

When I first saw NSMB Wii, I wasn't excited but I was okay with one more NSMB game. I gave them a pass for not changing up the formula. Now, 3 NSMB games after NSMB Wii, Nintendo has driven all my interest into the ground for what was once one of my very favorite franchises.

I am among several people that don't want that to happen to 3D Mario. And to prevent that stagnant, complacent, stale air from settling in they need to change up the core of the game, not simply go larger in scope with better levels and some new powers.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
to prevent that stagnant, complacent, stale air from settling in
The second preview of the game managed to surprise the world. Seing the ONM map posted hours ago, we know we've seen little of the game. Maybe it's now time to have some faith in EAD, don't you think?

The second preview of the game managed to surprise the world. Seing the ONM map posted hours ago, we know we've seen little of the game. Maybe it's now time to have some faith in EAD, don't you think?

The main artwork is very interesting, and there's some stuff that I definitely want to play. The cherries, wall climbing, the 3D-ified world map, and some others. But I wasn't wow'ed. It didn't have that fresh feel that I would've expected from the first 3D Mario on a new console, not to mention their first HD console. The trailer still exhibited that same 3DL feel of the levels. Re-skinned flat squares with little movement on the third axis.

Here's what I'm referencing.

Trailer

Flat boxy levels:

0:27, 0:29, 0:31, 0:36, 0:39, 0:45, 0:47, 1:07, 1:11, 1:16, 1:20, 1:24, 1:39, 1:46, 1:47, 1:49, 2:12, 2:28

And that is pretty much confirmed by the levels we've seen full playthroughs of.

It's not necessarily the gameplay designers at EAD Tokyo that I don't have faith in. It's the directives from Nintendo HQ and the bossmen. The ones that say we need to rush out 2 NSMB games within months of each other to save our platforms.

Top Bottom