• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World still locked to 8 way movement

MisterHero

I don't really like it either, but eh. Maybe it'll help with player cooperation. Passing blocks or jumping is a bit more controlled with only 8 directions.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Holy shit. That is first time i've ever saw this. It looks just like the 3D land levels.

No, the 64 levels when zoomed out show that they are much more basic than 3D World's levels (and most of Land's). If you actually analyze the 64 maps, you'll see that for the most part they consist of individual platforming paths that wrap around each other so you can jump or fall from one to another. I'm not saying this is bad, like some poster earlier seemed to be saying (you can't like 3D World without hating the shit out of every other Mario game I guess).

If 2-1 of 3D World wrapped around in a big circle so that the end of the level connected to the beginning, and you could climb the high points in the middle to get from one side to the other, would that make you happy? It would be the same game but you'd have your precious "open world."

The internet needs to stop being so upset about the camera angle in this game, as well. Put it behind Mario's back and you'd all be jizzing yourselves.

Lijik

Thank you for posting this, I don't know where you got it but it's awesome!

Please tell me you have more of these SM64 dioramas.

They're from the japanese guidebook. I want to say at one point I downloaded scans of all of them but dont know what I did with them. Those were the ones I could find online on short notice. Heres two more I was able to refind:
tumblr_log2fsbDtK1qaczz9o3_1280.png

tumblr_log2fsbDtK1qaczz9o2_1280.png
EDIT- Just found more scans, I think this is all thats online:

zashga

More ammunition for the argument that this is a 3DS up port

Do people think the 3DS can't do full analog control or something? The reason 3D Land had 8-way movement is that it complimented the level design and fixed camera angles. If anything, the technical limitation angle is new to 3D World since it needs to support Wiimote controls.

Haines

Banned
There were a handful of levels in 3D Land that were pretty much Mario 64 stages like World 3-1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Un1jgJVEYE

Thus the possibility the Wii U game may have more of these stages, being a console rather than portable game.

I just played that level again last night. It does an incredible job at fooling you into feeling like a bigger level but its almost as stream lined as the rest of 3D Land. Thats the genius of 3D Land. It always makes smaller levels feel big.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is the first time that I've heard anything about locked movement in 3D Land.

So yeah, this doesn't bother me at all.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I just played that level again last night. It does an incredible job at fooling you into feeling like a bigger level but its almost as stream lined as the rest of 3D Land. Thats the genius of 3D Land. It always makes smaller levels feel big.

I suppose they learned a lot from making Galaxy. Same trick there - lots of levels in Galaxy seem vast but are really compact if you take out the transitions and spread-out nodes.

SodaBeam

Neo Member
What the thread title says is untrue, what Bombcast says is untrue; both this game and 3D Land have 16-way movement - pretty close to full analogue. Of course, given that 50% of the people who read this thread will remember only the title, we'll be hearing this 8-way shit repeated for a few months.

Ugh, ridiculous.

Guess we'll have to wait a few years until a real 3D adventure Mario on the scales of Galaxy, Sunshine and SM64.

World 3D is much closer to Galaxy than Galaxy is to 64 and Sunshine (in fact, it looks very similar except there is no gravity/planet mechanic). Galaxy is linear, those two games are not. So I'm not exactly sure what you're complaining about or what exactly you want out of a 3D Mario game.

The way this game handles level design and environmental interaction looks like the complete antithesis to how Mario 64 and Sunshine handled things. Those games gave you fun ways to interact with your environment, while 3D World simply gives you a fun environment to interact with. 64/Sunshine gave Mario a plethora of different jumps, flips, momentum to his run, the FLUDD, etc, but put him in environments that are large with little to do. However, 3D World strips him of his triple jump and other such acrobatics, instead opting for smaller levels with a lot to interact with.

beril

3D Land doesn't actually have 8-directional movement.

It has a system for helping players target the 8 main directions, but there are areas between the deadzones where you can move freely.

It's probably something to do with the fact that the 3DS and now the WiiU are the first Nintendo controllers not to have an octagonal indentation for the analog stick, making it harder to hold a steady straight angle. That coupled with the more rigid camera and the type of leveldesign in Mario 3D Land makes it a perfectly valid design choice.

It also does let you walk slower by pressing lightly, just not run at full speed without holding the run button

M3d10n

The way this game handles level design and environmental interaction looks like the complete antithesis to how Mario 64 and Sunshine handled things. Those games gave you fun ways to interact with your environment, while 3D World simply gives you a fun environment to interact with. 64/Sunshine gave Mario a plethora of different jumps, flips, momentum to his run, the FLUDD, etc, but put him in environments that are large with little to do. However, 3D World strips him of his triple jump and other such acrobatics, instead opting for smaller levels with a lot to interact with.

Mario 64 is the way it is by necessity. It becomes obvious when you look at the dioramas: Nintendo, due to limitations of the time, simply couldn't afford to design dozens of levels like they did in the 2D Mario games and had to approach it differently, creating fewer and smaller levels which could be re-used several times.

It still partially carried into Sunshine, but by Galaxy they were no longer bound by that limitation and didn't need to hold players in the same levels for long lengths of time.

majik13

played through pretty much all of 3D Land, just have a couple of special world levels left, And I never once noticed the 8 way directional movement.

I think it is a non issue, and I could see how it could subtley help the player.

Mario Galaxy, Mario 64, etc were all great with 8 way directional movement.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Forget the 8-way movement! The bigger issue is the stupid d-pad controls for 2-4 players and the lack of Nunchuck support! This is a goddman 3D platformer. Sure, maybe I played Snake, Rattle and Roll or Marble Madness with the d-pad 25 years ago, but that shit doesn't fly anymore. If anyone ever wants to play this game with me, they will be handed a Pro Controller right off the bat. I'm not making anyone suffer through awkward as fuck 3D movement for even one second.

boxter432

Forget the 8-way movement! The bigger issue is the stupid d-pad controls for 2-4 players and the lack of Nunchuck support! This is a goddman 3D platformer. Sure, maybe I played Snake, Rattle and Roll or Marble Madness with the d-pad 25 years ago, but that shit doesn't fly anymore. If anyone ever wants to play this game with me, they will be handed a Pro Controller right off the bat. I'm not making anyone suffer through awkward as fuck 3D movement for even one second.

are you sure there's no nunchuck support? just b/c they had people playing with wiimotes in the demo doesn't mean its out, or no CC support.

SodaBeam

Neo Member
played through pretty much all of 3D Land, just have a couple of special world levels left, And I never once noticed the 8 way directional movement.

I think it is a non issue, and I could see how it could subtley help the player.

Mario Galaxy, Mario 64, etc were all great with 8 way directional movement.

You didn't notice it because it wasn't there. None of those games have 8-way directional movement. Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 have full analogue, and 3D Land is locked to 16 (or thereabouts, certainly more than 8) directions. 8-way movement would be fairly noticeable in comparison, only the DS port of Mario 64 has it.

NotLiquid

3D Land doesn't actually have 8-directional movement.

It has a system for helping players target the 8 main directions, but there are areas between the deadzones where you can move freely.

It's probably something to do with the fact that the 3DS and now the WiiU are the first Nintendo controllers not to have an octagonal indentation for the analog stick, making it harder to hold a steady straight angle. That coupled with the more rigid camera and the type of leveldesign in Mario 3D Land makes it a perfectly valid design choice.

It also does let you walk slower by pressing lightly, just not run at full speed without holding the run button

I mentioned something similar in the main thread, but I played Galaxy 2 yesterday and it feels like it has an exactly similar kind of directional snap. Maybe someone can check it for themselves because that game really feels a lot less free than I remember it was.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
are you sure there's no nunchuck support? just b/c they had people playing with wiimotes in the demo doesn't mean its out, or no CC support.

Multiple reps flat out told me that there wasn't. I flat out told them that sucked ass and they had to do something about that fast. I played the demos a bunch of times over the week, and Nintendo is big on asking you what you think afterwards. Every time, I grabbed a Wiimote, and the Gamepad, and made the rep hold each of them so I could explain just how shoddy the control choice was using the d-pad. Was hoping some of that feedback could trickle up a little bit.

ThaGuy

I know Nintendo will nail the controls to their liking. All I wanted was online multiplayer or even multiplayer with no bubble nonsense. That usually means the screen is locked on to one individual. I wanted Super Mario 64 ds versions multiplayer view.

IceBreak

Banned
Nintendo said:
You know what we should do? Let's make a decent 3DS game with sharper graphics and local multiplayer for the Wii U instead of a true successor to the best reviewed game and sequel my company has ever produced.

I hope Miyamoto never touched this game and is working on the real 3D Mario game in the shadows.

3D Land was a fine game. Galaxy 1 and 2 were gaming pinnacles.

"Is it more imaginative than Super Mario Galaxy? No. Will it revolutionize gaming like Super Mario 64. Hardly. Do either of these questions matter? Absolutely not, and don't let anyone prove otherwise. Super Mario 3D Land is the epitome of fun, t's a shining example of everything that's good and wholesome about video games. "

from mojodojo's review

QaaQer

"Is it more imaginative than Super Mario Galaxy? No. Will it revolutionize gaming like Super Mario 64. Hardly. Do either of these questions matter? Absolutely not, and don't let anyone prove otherwise. Super Mario 3D Land is the epitome of fun, t's a shining example of everything that's good and wholesome about video games. "

from mojodojo's review

bad writer.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I played 3D Land to completion and I didn't even know this was a thing.

Non-issue.

On 3DS it was some sort of adaptive system which varied from 8-way to 32+-way controls depending on the area.

If this game has to be playable by Wiimote users without giving other players a big advantage then either level design, controls, or both have to accommodate it and the controls might not feel as fluid as 3D Land either.

Ah. Well, I don't think that quote is actually from the review, but from the more recent 3D World preview. The review is mostly perfectly fine.

A lot of the "proving" that's going on in these topics seems pretty weak to me, though.

"I didn't want this rehash, I wanted Galaxy 3!"
"8 way movement? This proves that 3D World is a rush-job upscaling of a 3DS game, despite both systems having analog control."
"This game is completely limited by multiplayer! You can only use Wiimotes... and Pro controllers, and the gamepad, and maybe nunchucks."
"I hate the idea of 8-way control! I never noticed it in 3D Land, but man do I hate it!"

etc.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
No one seems to know this, but 3D land was NOT 8-way all the time. Free roaming levels were 100% analog. 8-way toggled on for levels requiring more precise angling, which was a lot, but the fact is that it had nothing to do with system limitations. It was a design decision to facilitate specific level designs, so I'm not surprised to see it in 3D world at all.

Haines

Banned
I dont understand wanting Galaxy 3. At all. 1 + 2 are amazing and huge. 3 would have been a gigantic waste of Nintendo's time.

If you want to play Galaxy, boot up the two last games in the 3D Mario series.

On the topic of controls, Land was great. Any problems with it were not the design, but the analog circle pad being a lil wonky.

Magnus

I'm seriously not trying to troll when I ask this, but: is this evidence that the game does have its ancestry on the 3DS and was transferred to the Wii U?

Edit- I hadn't read beyond the OP, didn't realize this was beaten to death already in the thread. Ignore! :)

I dont understand wanting Galaxy 3. At all. 1 + 2 are amazing and huge. 3 would have been a gigantic waste of Nintendo's time.
I can absolutely understand it. For some people, the grandiose ideas of Galaxy beat out the improved mechanics of 3D Land. But to rag on 3D World for being a quick rehash and then demand another Galaxy sequel just doesn't make any sense.

Plus, it's obvious that this game is taking influence from both designs. Look at videos of that enormous swimming Yoshi. Look at videos of that underground snake boss. Does that *at all* look like 3D Land design? No. That's pure, 100% Galaxy, through and through. Just because it doesn't have planetoids doesn't mean it can't have Galaxy's heart and soul.

soldat7

If you want to play Galaxy, boot up the two last games in the 3D Mario series.

I want to play a Galaxy game in glorious 1080p, old or new.

Top Bottom