• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World still locked to 8 way movement

DaBoss

There have been multiple instances in the NSMB games where I'll have to exit to the map or just rush to the goal and re-select the stage because I was running low on time while searching or dicking around. It's stupid. The timer is supposedly there to keep you moving along faster, but it has the ironic side effect of wasting your time with situations like this.

I only like it when it's specifically set low to force you to speedrun, because those levels are the only ones that feel like they're designed with a time limit in mind.

Yea, I don't mind those low time levels either.

For me, Super Mario 3D Land is probably the 3D Mario game I played the most (total playtime). I've tried to get the best time in every level beating times of the people I streetpassed. So the timer really is one of my favourite things. Though I wouldn't care even if it wasn't there and there was a timer saying how much time I've used up. It really is the best speedrunning 3D Mario and that adds up lots of replay value to me.

93xfan

Banned
I'm okay with this, because it's not like it's similar to Mario 64 or Sunshine- both of which had a focus on exploration

Lijik

Then enjoy Super Mario Diorama 3D!
Wait so...
enjoy Mario 64?
tumblr_log2fsbDtK1qaczz9o1_1280.png

tumblr_log2fsbDtK1qaczz9o4_1280.png

tumblr_log2fsbDtK1qaczz9o6_1280.png

tumblr_log2fsbDtK1qaczz9o5_1280.png

Neff

3D Land wasn't locked to 8 way movement. It does guide you to a specific number of directions on a clockface rather than having true analogue movement, but it's definitely more than eight.

Fuck, those 64 dioramas are beautiful.

3D Land wasn't locked to 8 way movement. It does guide you to a specific number of directions on a clockface rather than having true analogue movement, but it's definitely more than eight.

At least people can't say 3D world was based on 3D land unused assets
trollface_small_bigger.png

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Mario 3D Land has better controls than Galaxy. Much better. I'm not saying it was a better game than Galaxy, but the controls were. If the controls in this game are like 3D Land then there is no issue.

M3d10n

Yeah, people saying it's 8-way don't know how to count, it seems. 8-way means that there only one diagonal between two cardinal directions (ex: up and right) and that's definitely not the case.

so true. Its weird to see some nintendo fans shit talking the galaxy games to make the new 3d mario look better.
I would rather have 3D Land expanded for a console than Galaxy 3. Maybe 3D Land was suited for a handheld because, get this, it was designed for a handheld. 3D World is designed for a home console.

NotLiquid

Locked digital angles on an analogue stick 3D game is disappointing as, like 3D Land, it's indicative of the level design philosophy. That being platforms, ridges, and obstacles laid out at neat, hard geometric angles.

64, Sunshine, and the two Galaxy games were not like this. They were built in such a way to accommodate true free form movement at the slightest angles, even if levels themselves were strictly linear.

This will be the first home console 3D Mario restricted in this way. Ironic given 64s legacy and what it revolutionised in 3D game design.

And, in turn, why 3D World is a supremely disappointing flagship 3D Mario title, irrespective of how fun it actually is.

Level 3-1 in Super Mario 3D Land, while not detailed, has a relatively geometrically varied surface during it's opening. There are some bumps in the sand and smooth hills. I also noticed during this level that the 16-way movement is less snappier, or it might just be placebo. Either way, if they wanted to make geometrically varied levels, they totally could.

I'm pretty sure that they can decide per level on how the controls react and possibly build more complex landscapes out of it. The only sliver of hope I have on that regard is the developers saying it's the culmination of everything they learned from all the previous Mario games.

Frankly I believe that if Nintendo managed to design a game in which I could go through the entire game without noticing that there was a faux-lock to it, they pretty much excelled in doing their job. This is really a complete non-issue for me, and Super Mario 3D Land was already so fantastically designed that if 3D World is only evolving on everything, then I'm excited.

It clearly favours 8-way, especially I feel when you're standing still or when you start moving. But you can easily 'correct' direction engaging inbetween diagonals if you are actually already moving.

I find it a good measure to allow inexperienced players to enjoy the 3d platforming the game offers at a basic (orthogonal) level but at the same time if you are skilled enough to exit the '8-way path' you will be able to achieve superior performance i.e. shortcuts and so on.

I felt 3D Land was like this, and 3D World seems to build on this idea even more, offering a basic control scheme (horizontal remote, makes more difficult to fall off), and a professional one (analog, let you move as you want and take harder courses).

gemoran4

I would rather have 3D Land expanded for a console than Galaxy 3. Maybe 3D Land was suited for a handheld because, get this, it was designed for a handheld. 3D World is designed for a home console.

I'd rather have neither, and something new. Or alternatively 3D world and something new. I just really hope they don't stick with this direction for 3D Mario games in the future (at least for their home consoles)

I'd rather have neither, and something new. Or alternatively 3D world and something new. I just really hope they don't stick with this direction for 3D Mario games in the future (at least for their home consoles)

Same, but I can't really say I'm disappointed because I didn't really have an idea of what I wanted. But it's funny seeing people complain that it's a sequel and then beg for Galaxy 3 or 64-2.

Just heard about this from the Bombcast and it's a super bummer that this game still has the same 8 way movement from 3D Land.

Why would Nintendo do this? Why not allow full analogue control?

Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

Seriously. If anyone needs any more proof this is a quick port from the 3DS to get a Mario game out by Christmas, look no further than this.

Did any of you guys actually physically notice that the game has 8-way movement beforehand or are you just mad now that you've been told?

Also, in regards to this somehow proving that 3DWorld is a 3DS port... the 3DS circlepad is analog, right? So if the circlepad is analog, and the analog stick on the WiiU is analog, and in both cases they've chosen digital control on an analog stick, how is this proving anything at all?

mantidor

Bears repeating, but the game's big focus is multiplayer, and multiplayer on the wii U is only achievable through wiimotes. Of course, level design reflects this.

gemoran4

Same, but I can't really say I'm disappointed because I didn't really have an idea of what I wanted. But it's funny seeing people complain that it's a sequel and then beg for Galaxy 3 or 64-2.

I'm not really disappointed because they made super mario 3d world, i think it looks like a really fun game. I'm disappointed because in the Direct Iwata basically stated that this was going to be the direction of 3D mario games going forward, and I want to see another 3D mario in the 64/Sunshine mold (small explorable worlds where you complete objectives and acquire stars)

I guess I didn't want to see the Super Mario 64/Super Mario Sunshine style of 3D mario go away forever. I was fine with Galaxy being the way it was just because it was such an interesting idea (and overall game), and I liked 3D land but part of me was kinda hoping to see the series return to it's roots a bit

SiskoKid

I think there are two reasons if they haven't been stated:

1) It's more helpful in the 2D platforming sections
2) I think you're able to use just that Wiimote, so that would only allow 8 directions

goomba

Banned
3d land was designed as a 3d mario that played like a 2d mario. so the same concept applies here i guess.

Im sure we will get a new galaxy eventually , id settle for an hd port collection.

It freaked me out when I read about that thing for the 3DS game. But when I put my hands on 3D Land, it felt awesome, it's definitely not an issue.

Ranger X

This is just what I wanted.

I am done with the galaxy look for awhile. People complain when nintendo rehashes?

a third game like galaxy is a rehash right now

People always complain no matter what Nintendo does. They must be frustrated because they won't be able to NOT buy the game, yet again. What's worse, they will have alot of fun while playing it.

The controls in 3D Land were slightly less precise than Galaxy, but I would have thought it was because of the circle pad being inferior to a real stick.

Ugh, ridiculous.

Guess we'll have to wait a few years until a real 3D adventure Mario on the scales of Galaxy, Sunshine and SM64.

hiryu64

UGH. I honestly never understood the praise for SM3DL here. I played that game to completion and still thought it was an average to below-average Mario game. The controls were a massive sticking point for me too. Was pretty disappointed to see this announced at the conference, tbh. At best, I'll be waiting for a price drop, sale or some kind of special deal to get it.

Lol, people *demonstrated* in this topic that this 8-way thing in 3D Land is untrue and people continue complaining about this just thing.

Haines

Banned
UGH. I honestly never understood the praise for SM3DL here. I played that game to completion and still thought it was an average to below-average Mario game. The controls were a massive sticking point for me too. Was pretty disappointed to see this announced at the conference, tbh. At best, I'll be waiting for a price drop, sale or some kind of special deal to get it.

Its the level design that makes it for me. The levels feel like a 3D mario but play like a great 2D mario. It has the galaxy feel of just make it play fun, it doesnt have to really make sense. I am on my third play through and it still holds up amazing. Im assuming your a Galaxy 1-2 guy? I love those games, but they are so jam packed and amazing it would be almost futile to try and even compete this soon after them.

Im just happy to have a "3D" Mario with real, and complete mp. Being Mario and Peach with my girl appeals to me.

oti

Banned
When I first read the thread title I thought: ugghh!
Then I read that SM3DL uses the same controls and I thought: great!

Top Bottom