• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World still locked to 8 way movement

I will bet you a buck it won't.

Your dollar is useless to me. 3D Land was the fastest selling game the series had for a reason. This being an evolution of that concept with 4 player co-op could work out to be big.

3D Land also enjoyed a similar (if somewhat less violent) backlash from its announcement, almost up until launch and it turned out pretty good in spite of that. We know very little about World still, but so far the bosses and overall presentation looks improved over its predecessor.

The Boat

Honeyhive, as an example, is bigger than Whomp's Fortress.
Notice that I wasn't talking about size. I was talking about big, open, fully explorable worlds.

Not only is Whomp's Fortress one of the smallest levels in 64, it's also the least exploration based (which is why they ported it most likely). You pretty much have two set paths and that's it save for a few distractions.
Honeyhive on the other hand is one of the more open levels and it still is very much closed path. It might be bigger than Whomp, but it's not exactly very explorable, when it comes to it, it's about fixed paths most of the way. Fixed paths doesn't mean having walls to guide you.

Most levels in 64 are very exploration based and more open, while most of the Galaxy games are levels that have set path for you to go, it's not so based on exploration, it's more about pure platforming. There's a bit here and there where you can explore a bit more, but they are not in any way regular, as open as 64 or a big part of the games.

I never noticed the 8-way movement while playing Super Mario 3D Land, although I'm not sure if it will be any more noticeable when using an analog stick instead of a circle pad.

Shahadan

I might be wrong bu t it's probably because of the multiplayer and the wiimotes. Imposing the nunchuck in this game would be a bit silly and impratical imo.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Your dollar is useless to me. 3D Land was the fastest selling game the series had for a reason. This being an evolution of that concept with 4 player co-op could work out to be big.

3D Land also enjoyed a similar (if somewhat less violent) backlash from its announcement, almost up until launch and it turned out pretty good in spite of that. We know very little about World still, but so far the bosses and overall presentation looks improved over its predecessor.

The 3D land format worked exceptionally well as a fit to the 3DS handheld platform. Bit size levels. Small screen. Reduction of 3D navigation or exploration (via the pseudo 3D diorama style levels). Light depth. Tight diagonal controls. It was fantastic! It's one of my favorite 3DS games!

EAD Tokyo are making design decisions that you don't like. You're going to have to live with it, at least for this game. 3D World is not them being lazy and moving games from the 3DS to the Wii U at the last second. It's them evolving what a 3D Mario game is.

Glix

Does the gamepad have the 8-WAY "notches" like the Wavebird?

Does the pro controller? That was the best shit ever, some games, like original Monkey Ball basically REQUIRE it.

If the controllers don't have the notches anymore, maybe that is why Nintendo implemented this?

tkscz

Yeah, but the Wii U gamepad already has the octagonal analog stick surround to aid with straight lines.

I've never really noticed it in 3D Land tbh though.

Wait, you mean like the Wii and Gamecube? No, no it doesn't. The sticks are circular on the WiiU

Right. Nintendo, sigh.

I hope I don't have to hold down a run button again.

The sticks aren't octagonal anymore, and your probably will.

Does the pro controller? That was the best shit ever, some games, like original Monkey Ball basically REQUIRE it.

If the controllers don't have the notches anymore, maybe that is why Nintendo implemented this?

No, it's circular now.

Dr.Hadji

This is what I meant with my comparison post when I showed Sunshine, Galaxy and then 3D World. Someone said it looks so better, but I said it's limited.

There isn't open world, free movement.

I love Nintendo but anyone can see how they're limiting themselves with their games. I think it's just because they are pretty far behind in terms of the scope/scale required of massive AAA games.

How is playing in small segmented areas a step up from the massive world's of Sunshine and Galaxy?

You people are losing your minds. Massive worlds of Galaxy? Galaxy is small segmented areas the game!

EmiPrime

I played 3D Land to completion and I didn't even know this was a thing.

Non-issue.

Same. At least now I know why 3D Land controls so well.

We're getting a new 3D Mario with 4 player support and people aren't happy. What is wrong with you people?

The 3D land format worked exceptionally well as a fit to the 3DS handheld platform. Bit size levels. Small screen. Reduction of 3D navigation or exploration (via the pseudo 3D diorama style levels). Light depth. Tight diagonal controls. It was fantastic! It's one of my favorite 3DS games!

Yes, and now they have expanded and evolved the concept to work on home consoles.

The Boat

They don't, everyone seemed to hate them. I loved them, despite realizing they could be slightly harmful in one or two genres I guess.

Then enjoy Super Mario Diorama 3D!

I pray the rest of the world disagrees with you and this game bombs like the emergency 3DS port/bandaid it appears to be.

Jeez, I've never seen you this angry before. I'm sure the game will be just fine. The levels look pretty big to me as it is.

Orayn

3D Land isn't strictly 8-way. You snap to the main 8 directions somewhat, but it's possible to move between them.

The game looks like crap anyway (at least for me, judging by the good responses so far), so I'll just wait for my proper 3D Mario game. It'll be interesting to see what this game can do for the Wii U and how much it sells.

Timeless

I am done with the galaxy look for awhile. People complain when nintendo rehashes?

a third game like galaxy is a rehash right now
I don't want Galaxy 3. I want something new.

Mario 64 was new. Mario Sunshine was new. Mario Galaxy was new. Mario 3D Land was fairly new.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Same. At least now I know why 3D Land controls so well.

We're getting a new 3D Mario with 4 player support and people aren't happy. What is wrong with you people?

Yes, damn these people for having an opinion. DAMN THEM!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Locked digital angles on an analogue stick 3D game is disappointing as, like 3D Land, it's indicative of the level design philosophy. That being platforms, ridges, and obstacles laid out at neat, hard geometric angles.

64, Sunshine, and the two Galaxy games were not like this. They were built in such a way to accommodate true free form movement at the slightest angles, even if levels themselves were strictly linear.

This will be the first home console 3D Mario restricted in this way. Ironic given 64s legacy and what it revolutionised in 3D game design.

And, in turn, why 3D World is a supremely disappointing flagship 3D Mario title, irrespective of how fun it actually is.

They've added local only multiplayer.

Off the top of my head:
-A new suit
-A boss that isn't called Boom Boom or Pom Pom
-Ice-skating
-Yoshi dragon water boat thing
-4 player co-op with unique attributes
-Clear pipes
-Returning enemies like Chargin' Chuck
-The game doesn't look like this:

super-mario-3d-land-20110929110548659-3533391_640w.jpg

Overall, it seems like an enriched game compared to its predecessor.

Dr.Hadji

I don't want Galaxy 3. I want something new.

Mario 64 was new. Mario Sunshine was new. Mario Galaxy was new. Mario 3D Land was fairly new.

3d Land is at LEAST as new as Mario 64 with a jet pack. Unless you're talking about aesthetics which (given a lot of Mario talks lately) wouldn't surprise me.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Jeez, I've never seen you this angry before. I'm sure the game will be just fine. The levels look pretty big to me as it is.

You know what? I AM angry. Breathtaking, awe-inspiring, mechanic introducing, genre transforming, industry leading, system selling, WONDER BRINGING new Mario titles have defined EVERY console transition for me since the SNES. EVERY ONE. Even Sunshine.

This? THIS IS BULLSHIT! This is a fucking microwave meal of a 3D Mario game.

DaBoss

Lmao and people gave Mario 64DS shit with its 8 way, button to run control. When I played 3D Land it felt exactly the same.

Disgusting that this a "flagship '3D' Mario"

Because Mario 64DS was on a freaking system with no form of analog stick/circle pad.

You know what? I AM angry. Breathtaking, awe-inspiring, mechanic introducing, genre transforming, industry leading, system selling, WONDER BRINGING new Mario titles have defined EVERY console transition for me since the SNES. EVERY ONE. Even Sunshine.

I love how this illustrates the negative aura around handheld gaming that exists in the video game community and industry.

Currently uploading a video of the not-8-way movement in 3D Land, should be available in a few minutes.

Are you saying it is 16-way?

It'll probably be one of the best 10 games of all time.

Chopper

Locked digital angles on an analogue stick 3D game is disappointing as, like 3D Land, it's indicative of the level design philosophy. That being platforms, ridges, and obstacles laid out at neat, hard geometric angles.

64, Sunshine, and the two Galaxy games were not like this. They were built in such a way to accommodate true free form movement at the slightest angles, even if levels themselves were strictly linear.

This will be the first home console 3D Mario restricted in this way. Ironic given 64s legacy and what it revolutionised in 3D game design.

And, in turn, why 3D World is a supremely disappointing flagship 3D Mario title, irrespective of how fun it actually is.
I....didn't think of it like that. You've just totally killed my buzz man...

...how can anybody say this about any unreleased game and be serious.
3D Mario title man. They're pretty much all up there.

blah blah Mario Sunshine

I've never played a Mario platformer where the control didn't feel great, 3D land included. They must have some reason. It must be something to do with maybe simplifying it in multiplayer with less skilled friends and family or something.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I don't think you could have all the different and changing camera angles without the 8-way lock. Freedorm analog only really works with a follow cam IMO.

I didn't even realize 3D land had this when I was playing through it. What I did notice however was that it controlled easier than other 3D Marios and that it's kind of incredible that the game never breaks down no matter how crazy different the camera angle is.

Raw64life

I completed Super Mario 3D Land 100% and never even noticed.

Disappointed that it's not Galaxy 3 but I'll still happily take 3D Land 2.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Just heard about this from the Bombcast and it's a super bummer that this game still has the same 8 way movement from 3D Land.

Why would Nintendo do this? Why not allow full analogue control?

To make it even for four-player WiiU play with Wii remotes.

Roto13

It wasn't an issue in 3D Land and it's not an issue now. But of course a handful of people here will act like it's a big deal so they have something to complain about.

The Boat

I don't know if it's because I'm high, but I'm finding this hysterical. And profoundly sad.

Anyway, assuming I get a chance to play these demos, I need to pick up 3D Land again and see if I can learn how to see if it's 8 way, because I don't remember noticing anything different.

Dr.Hadji

Your other buzz word are all up to an individual. The ones bolded however, are all or have a high chance of becoming true. And....

I love how this illustrates the negative aura around handheld gaming that exists in the video game community and industry.

Dang. So true.

Galaxy 1
Galaxy 2
Mario 3D Land

I said "probably". I'm saying there's a >50% chance based on who's making the game. That's all.

This is a good point. TokyoEAD track record is pretty ridiculous. I can't assume so early that they will make something subpar. If the control style fits the level design then its really just about how good that level design is.

Top Bottom