• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World still locked to 8 way movement

Calamari41

41 > 38
This is fine. Think back, people. In the 2D sections of the Mario Galaxy games, if you weren't holding left or right at the exact perfect angle, you would run at a slight tilt toward or away from the screen, thus slowing you way down. That shit got old fast, and this game will invariably have a lot more pure 2D sections.

BHZ Mayor

Locked digital angles on an analogue stick 3D game is disappointing as, like 3D Land, it's indicative of the level design philosophy. That being platforms, ridges, and obstacles laid out at neat, hard geometric angles.

64, Sunshine, and the two Galaxy games were not like this. They were built in such a way to accommodate true free form movement at the slightest angles, even if levels themselves were strictly linear.

This will be the first home console 3D Mario restricted in this way. Ironic given 64s legacy and what it revolutionised in 3D game design.

And, in turn, why 3D World is a supremely disappointing flagship 3D Mario title, irrespective of how fun it actually is.

I think this is what most people (me included) mean when they say they wanted more open levels and just couldn't figure out how to articulate it, which is why we included the Galaxy games in that argument despite their relative linearity. You absolutely nailed it.

The lionization of Sunshine as a paradigm shift equal to 64 and Galaxy over the last few days has become hilarious, and I say this as someone who loved Sunshine more than Mario 64.

Do people not remember the furor back when the screenshots for that game were revealed? People said it was Mario 64-2, that it was a disappointment, that it was ugly, that basing the game around one theme was lazy, that water packs were awful and would dumb down the game and weren't a real innovation.

Some Guy

When was the last time some of you played Galaxy? Because it also "favours" 8-degree movement.

When Mario is running full speed he will lock pretty readily into into one of the 8 directions. Each of those directions can then be nudged off-course, but you have to really overcompensate... the thing definitely favours locking to those 8 directions specifically rather than providing true, unweighted "full analog".

When I first realized this, I was so startled I spent a good ten minutes just moving Mario around trying to figure out exactly what the game was doing. I think, combined with how the level design is aligned (also primarily in 8 degrees), it's a big part of the unnoticible behind-the-scenes voodoo that makes the platforming is so tight in those games.

Yado

You know what? I AM angry. Breathtaking, awe-inspiring, mechanic introducing, genre transforming, industry leading, system selling, WONDER BRINGING new Mario titles have defined EVERY console transition for me since the SNES. EVERY ONE. Even Sunshine.

This? THIS IS BULLSHIT! This is a fucking microwave meal of a 3D Mario game.

There's still room for plenty of new gameplay mechanics we have never seen in a 3D Mario game. They've already given us four characters with individual abilities. & catsuits.

TrueBlue

You know what? I AM angry. Breathtaking, awe-inspiring, mechanic introducing, genre transforming, industry leading, system selling, WONDER BRINGING new Mario titles have defined EVERY console transition for me since the SNES. EVERY ONE. Even Sunshine.

Good Lord, calm yourself.

linko9

The levels are designed for that kind of movement, so I think it's fine. I'd rather have full 360 degree movement, but clearly they're going for something that blends 2D and 3D mario as they did with 3D land, so in that context the 8-way movement is best for fitting the level design.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Your other buzz word are all up to an individual.

Do you remember the area outside the castle in Mario 64. Climbing the trees? Chasing the butterflies? Perfecting the triple jump, backflip and cartwheel? Not worrying the clock is ticking down and you have to find a clock icon to extend it?

Best Jeff Bridges voice, "I AM OLD!"

All I can think is that somewhere, someone at EAD is laughing his ass off that they finally found an excuse to say theyve got Peach into a catsuit.

J.W.Crazy

I don't understand the complaints about a run button. It's been a while since I played 3D Land, is it essentially the same as run in 2D Mario or somehow different?

It really helped in 3D Land with small platforms at odd angles. It works for the design because other than those slight angle variations the gameplay is fixed to a set camera angle. That wasn't the case with Galaxy.

ASTROID2

I remember having trouble wall jumping in Sunshine to high places because I'd always be slightly off.
I have no problem with this.

QaaQer

This isn't even a question. Galaxy is god-tier 10/10 masterpiece type shit, 3D Land is good but more suited to a handheld and smaller ins cope.

so true. Its weird to see some nintendo fans shit talking the galaxy games to make the new 3d mario look better.

DaBoss

Video is up! Check out that less-than-full-analog-but-definitely-not-8-way movement!

Approximately, yeah. There's at least one diagonal in between each of the main 8 directions, though they seem to be relatively narrow compared to the others.

Like I said, it depends on your location. Some places it's obviously not 8-way, since you can run in a straight line in more than 8 directions.

OK, tried to face one of the in between diagonals, and it seems hard to face the direction, but it is more clear when you are changing to another direction, but yea, it is 16-way and not 8-way.

so true. Its weird to see some nintendo fans shit talking the galaxy games to make the new 3d mario look better.

While I don't agree with people calling 3D World shit, and then getting up in a fuss about the game using 16-way movement, I wouldn't try to play down the Galaxy games' excellence. They were brilliant, but this can be equally as brilliant. I put 3D Land with Super Mario 64 right behind the Galaxy games, so 3D World excites me.

I don't think anyone is shit talking the Galaxy games, just saying they aren't the 64-style open world games people seem to think they are. And they're incredible games because of that. 3D World looks much closer to the Galaxy games than the Galaxy games were to 64.

OK, tried to face one of the in between diagonals, and it seems hard to face the direction, but it is more clear when you are changing to another direction, but yea, it is 16-way and not 8-way.

If you try it at the beginning of W2-1, it might be even less restrictive than 16. Try it on the bridges of W6-1, and I think it goes to 8-way.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Noticed it slightly but not in a bad way in 3D Land.

3D World is going to be ABAP.

Edit-

Seems that some people aren't aware,

The '3D' In 'Land/World' signify their difference. They play different than Mario 64 type games and New Super Mario games. The controls are designed in a specific fashion to take advantage of the side scrolling/open world fusion of the game.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The lionization of Sunshine as a paradigm shift equal to 64 and Galaxy over the last few days has become hilarious, and I say this as someone who loved Sunshine more than Mario 64.

Do people not remember the furor back when the screenshots for that game were revealed? People said it was Mario 64-2, that it was a disappointment, that it was ugly, that basing the game around one theme was lazy, that water packs were awful and would dumb down the game and weren't a real innovation.
Most of my friends and I skipped Sunshine altogether for some of those and other reasons.

The best posts are the ones along the lines of "Sure, Sunshine wasn't great, but at least it was innovative and fresh!"

Moxx19

Banned
Locked digital angles on an analogue stick 3D game is disappointing as, like 3D Land, it's indicative of the level design philosophy. That being platforms, ridges, and obstacles laid out at neat, hard geometric angles.

64, Sunshine, and the two Galaxy games were not like this. They were built in such a way to accommodate true free form movement at the slightest angles, even if levels themselves were strictly linear.

This will be the first home console 3D Mario restricted in this way. Ironic given 64s legacy and what it revolutionised in 3D game design.

And, in turn, why 3D World is a supremely disappointing flagship 3D Mario title, irrespective of how fun it actually is.

Thank you. I couldn't quite put it into words but you summed it up perfectly.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Well, when people have the opinion that they want "Galaxy style open-world levels" they should expect to be challenged because, well, those levels don't actually exist (certainly in the sequel)

Well, people don't have good memories, and should ask for Super Mario Sunshine open-world levels instead, because they exist. CATSUIT.

gemoran4

Honestly in 3D land it wasn't a big deal so im not terrible worried about it. I would be super happy if they made a more conventional 3D mario this gen along with this one. I mean why not? they make plenty of mario games already, another one wouldn't hurt

Well, people don't have good memories, and should ask for Super Mario Sunshine open-world levels instead, because they exist. CATSUIT.

I can't say I disagree with you there. Really enjoyed Sunshine, although I understand those levels have pretty limited appeal

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think this is a sales decision. I mean people say that SMG and SMG2 are the greatest Mario games ever, but look at the sales numbers. NSMB outsold the crap out of SMG. Casuals clearly have trouble with the very free roaming 3D Mario games.

I think Nintendo is trying to find this balance with 3D Mario to get the casuals away from just the 2D style.

Yasumi

Banned
I think the 8-way running was what gave me the Mario Party minigame-control feeling when I played 3D Land, which I rather disliked. If this feels the same, I'm disappointed.

Toparaman

Banned

I love GAF.

Anyway, this just seems so regressive. I mean, Super Mario 64 defined control in full-3D games. Like GTA's Dan Houser said recently, pretty much every 3D game is influenced by Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time.

BHZ Mayor

Also having a time limit automatically restricts the scope because the levels have to be small enough to be able to reasonably complete them in time.

Also having a time limit automatically restricts the scope because the levels have to be small enough to be able to reasonably complete them in time.

The people have spoken and they want half-way house of 3D Mario-that's-2D Mario

Has ANY Mario game benefited from having a timer?

DaBoss

You would have a point if they didn't give you 500 seconds, which is 8 minutes and 20 seconds and I can't think of many levels in all of the Mario games that would take up to 8 minutes to finish.

Sixfortyfive

You would have a point if they didn't give you 500 seconds, which is 8 minutes and 20 seconds and I can't think of many levels in all of the Mario games that would take up to 8 minutes to finish.
Mario seconds aren't full seconds. That would be closer to 5 minutes.

Honestly, I'm really excited about this game, but the timer is one Mario convention that should probably die. I didn't like it in Super Mario Bros, and I like it even less in games like NSMB and 3D Land because it works against searching for things like star coins.

DaBoss

Mario seconds aren't full seconds. That would be closer to 5 minutes.

Honestly, I'm really excited about this game, but the timer is one Mario convention that should probably die. I didn't like it in Super Mario Bros, and I like it even less in games like NSMB and 3D Land because it works against searching for things like star coins.

Oh, did not know that.

To be fair, in both this game and 3D Land, you can find the timer things that increase the amount of time.

Personally, I've never had a problem with timers and I always search for Star Coins or whatever the collectible stuff is. I can't really empathize with those who dislike timers like they have in Mario, unless it is those ones where you have only 30 seconds at the start and then you have to collect those time stuff to increase time, I can see how that is annoying.

Sixfortyfive

Oh, did not know that.

To be fair, in both this game and 3D Land, you can find the timer things that increase the amount of time.

Personally, I've never had a problem with timers and I always search for Star Coins or whatever the collectible stuff is. I can't really empathize with those who dislike timers like they have in Mario, unless it is those ones where you have only 30 seconds at the start and then you have to collect those time stuff to increase time, I can see how that is annoying.
There have been multiple instances in the NSMB games where I'll have to exit to the map or just rush to the goal and re-select the stage because I was running low on time while searching or dicking around. It's stupid. The timer is supposedly there to keep you moving along faster, but it has the ironic side effect of wasting your time with situations like this.

I only like it when it's specifically set low to force you to speedrun, because those levels are the only ones that feel like they're designed with a time limit in mind.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

I think this pretty much nails my thoughts, unfortunately.

It's just so disappointing to see a proper 3D Mario console game like this.

Top Bottom