• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Abe marketing op in Rio cost Nintendo zero.

horuhe

Super Mario Abe marketing op in Rio cost Nintendo zero

TOKYO —

How much did Nintendo pay to land that dream marketing opportunity at the Rio Olympics closing ceremony, where Japan’s prime minister popped out dressed as the red-hatted plumber Super Mario?

Zero.

The Japanese video game maker behind “Pokemon” and “Zelda” got the coveted stage that corporate sponsors pay millions for after they were approached by those creating the festivities for “cooperation,” not the other way around, says Nintendo Co spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa.

“I want to make that clear. We did not pay,” he said in a telephone interview. “And we are not going to become Olympic sponsors either.”

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s emergence in a Super Mario costume was the highlight of the handover section for Tokyo, the host of the 2020 games.

The segment was so favorably received in Japan as surprisingly playful and tasteful, given the staidness usually associated with Japan Inc., that Abe earned a new nickname, “Abe-Mario.”

Tokyo city official Masahiro Hayashi said Japan’s top advertising company Dentsu Inc was tapped to produce the handover segment, with a total budget for the Rio Olympics and the Paralympics of 1.2 billion yen ($12 million).

He refused to say how much Dentsu was paid, or give other details.

The city of Tokyo and the organizing committee are under intense pressure to trim costs, which have ballooned over the years, partly because of the weakening yen but also because planning fiascos, such as decisions to redo designs for both the main stadium and the Tokyo 2020 logo.

Organizing committee spokesman Motoki Okumura would not give details of the spending for the closing ceremony. Dentsu also declined to comment.

“Top Olympic sponsors pay millions of dollars to the IOC for permission to promote their brands to a massive global audience. Nintendo just did it for free. With Japan’s prime minister as their pitchman. Easily the marketing coup of the Rio games,” said Bob Dorfman, a sports marketing analyst and creative director at Baker Street Advertising of San Francisco.

Purists might feel the commercial branding was a bit overdone, and argue for other ways to promote Japanese culture, according to Dorfman, who has lived in Japan.

“But gaming and anime are certainly major aspects of modern Japan, and Mario is a universal icon. As someone who doesn’t take sports or the Olympics too seriously, I found the whole thing pretty funny and entertaining,” he said.

Source: Japan Today

Shocking.

How much power do people think Nintendo has to have the Prime Minister of Japan dress up as Mario and go through a Warp Pipe?

KingBroly

Banned
Shocking.

How much power do people think Nintendo has to have the Prime Minister of Japan dress up as Mario and go through a Warp Pipe?

Well, enough to think that Mario is the King of Japan and SMB3 is now a reality

But, at the very least it helps Mario's brand recognition. While not the most watched thing about the Olympics, it definitely got people talking, which is a good thing for Nintendo.

Kieli

I'm horrified to the depths by which Nintendo controls bureaucracy in Japan. There's corruption at the highest levels of civil office and incredible clout wielded by the executives.

I'm not surprised since they have been around for more than 120 years. That certainly is enough time for them to dig their claws into government and exert their influence at all levels without nary a worry of rebuff.

JoeM86

I'm horrified to the depths by which Nintendo controls bureaucracy in Japan. There's corruption at the highest levels of civil office and incredible clout wielded by the executives.

I'm not surprised since they have been around for more than 120 years. That certainly is enough time for them to dig their claws into government and exert their influence at all levels without nary a worry of rebuff.

Satire?

Kieli

The evidence is in the article...

The prime minister clearly and conspicuously displays Nintendo accoutrements without a single cent being spent on the latter's behalf. That is unprecedented. Given how commercialized the Olympics is and how much money is being spent, I highly doubt the IOC would allow such overt displays of advertisement free of gratuity because of the kindness of their hearts.

Celine

Wasn't someone adamant it was the opposite lol?
lol
Who thought a company could openly pay the prime minister to sponsor their own products?

It was clear that Super Mario was used as a symbol of Japan because it's one of the most powerful and recognizable product from Japan on a planetary scale.

random25

That's what I thought (taps my own shoulder :p). Call that other guy who's salty over the entire thing and check if he's okay.

HowZatOZ

Banned

This is at the top of the fresh dank meme scale, nice.

L~A

Following the ceremony, I posted that good ol" Nintendo meme on Twitter, and after reading this article, I realised it was even more appropriate than I thought.

we-bought-japanwwsxs.jpg

I bet many companies are going to be livid when they learn Nintendo didn't get to pay a cent.

KingBroly

Banned
Well no one asked me but I could have told you they didn't pay... There was no visible logo anywhere. Was iconography but not direct branding

Nintendo secretly got Tokyo the Games after Rio just so they could do Rio into Mario

That's how Evil Nintendo is. DUN DUN DUNNNNN

I don't care, I thought that part was insanely clever

Bitanator

Late night gaf never fails

Nibel

2ddedwr2cqke.gif

Matt

People really thought Nintendo payed for that? That Nintendo payed for the PM of Japan to wear a Mario hat? His head is not a fucking billboard.

So I didn't read this mythical "one thread" with that "one guy", but I never thought otherwise? I didn't put much thought into it at all really, but I never would have assumed Nintendo paid for it.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Nintendo secretly got Tokyo the Games after Rio just so they could do Rio into Mario

That's how Evil Nintendo is. DUN DUN DUNNNNN

I don't care, I thought that part was insanely clever
They probably contributed to Rio getting the Olympics before them too; why else would it be there!

TheMoon

The prime minister clearly and conspicuously displays Nintendo accoutrements without a single cent being spent on the latter's behalf. That is unprecedented. Given how commercialized the Olympics is and how much money is being spent, I highly doubt the IOC would allow such overt displays of advertisement free of gratuity because of the kindness of their hearts.

So .... satire? :)

They are not going to be a sponsor? That's sad.
It's VERY expensive to be a sponsor. I've worked with clients that have sponsored the last few Olympics. They pay and arm and a leg to have their name associated with the Olympics. Nintendo, given its financials over the last few years, is not in a position to be dropping gazillions to sponsor the Olympics. It should just stick to Mario and Sonic for use of the license.

I can't tell anymore...so good job.

casiopao

OMG. Nintendo is not only Ninja now but also Yakuza?O_O

.....Make that Yakuza Ninja game Nintendo. I need it.^_^

I'm horrified to the depths by which International Olympic Commitee controls bureaucracy at Nintendo. There's corruption at the highest levels of civil office and incredible clout wielded by the executives.

casiopao

I'm horrified to the depths by which International Olympic Commitee controls bureaucracy at Nintendo. There's corruption at the highest levels of civil office and incredible clout wielded by the executives.

Too Late lol..... but, u are guys really are having a hell of fun time there lol.^^

I'd just assumed they did it because Mario is an incredibly famous Japanese character. I guess I also assumed they had Nintendo's blessing but not that they paid money for it...

Insane thing to get salty about.

Dystify

I'd be surprised if any of the IPs in the Japan Olympics feature paid any money. They wanted to promote their culture with some widely known characters and probably asked the companies behind those characters if they can use them. Makes sense to not demand money for it...

PsychBat!

Banned

FuOqqJ7.gif

Wasn't someone adamant it was the opposite lol?
There was this post in the Rio closing thread:
Well, I guess we know where Nintendo's global marketing budget disappeared to. Can't have been cheap to get Mario in the Rio closing ceremony, or to make Abe sacrifice is dignity like that.

Still, I can't help but think this was money wasted on Nintendo's part. Since Nintendo doesn't have any products to promote at this point. Four years is a long time, should the NX fail there might not even be a Nintendo left to boast by the time of the opening ceremony in Tokyo.
Kintor made 33 other posts in the closing thread.

casiopao

I mean, they were (tangentially) connected to the Yakuza back in the hanafuda days.

I would not doubt that seeing Hiroshi Yamauchi ruthless strategy lol. But actually, isn't the one who actually had close relation with Yakuza is Sega? Rather than Nintendo? I do know Nintendo operate damn closely with the government lol.

Top Bottom