• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Abe marketing op in Rio cost Nintendo zero.

I would not doubt that seeing Hiroshi Yamauchi ruthless strategy lol. But actually, isn't the one who actually had close relation with Yakuza is Sega? Rather than Nintendo? I do know Nintendo operate damn closely with the government lol.

I've actually heard that all gaming companies in Japan, being entertainment businesses, have some ties to Yakuza... But I did hear a story about Sega kidnapping the sister of one of its employees who had a thought of leaving it for another company.

daxgame

The evidence is in the article...

The prime minister clearly and conspicuously displays Nintendo accoutrements without a single cent being spent on the latter's behalf. That is unprecedented. Given how commercialized the Olympics is and how much money is being spent, I highly doubt the IOC would allow such overt displays of advertisement free of gratuity because of the kindness of their hearts.

I want to believe you are being ironic, but just in case

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...6b-11e6-91cb-ecb5418830e9-20160822-story.html

The committee organizing the 2020 Games approached Nintendo about the cameo and the company complied, said spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa.

JoeM86

You can count on Olympic games Amiibo for the next Mario & Sonic Olympic game.

I'm personally hoping Pokémon has some sort of cool tie-in spin-off considering they're doing some merchandise

CqV6FrnWEAA4F6g.jpg

I'm horrified to the depths by which Nintendo controls bureaucracy in Japan. There's corruption at the highest levels of civil office and incredible clout wielded by the executives.

I'm not surprised since they have been around for more than 120 years. That certainly is enough time for them to dig their claws into government and exert their influence at all levels without nary a worry of rebuff.

P8dsnmv.gif

Sadist

I was amazed by a comment from the other thread by the same poster, but this one takes the cake.

Nintendo, truly evil. Eeeeeeeeeviiiiiillllll

So I didn't read this mythical "one thread" with that "one guy", but I never thought otherwise? I didn't put much thought into it at all really, but I never would have assumed Nintendo paid for it.

Including that starting one, also enjoy:

Nah, one way or another the International Olympic Committee always gets its cut. The know that the Olympics itself is the major brand; everything else is a co-sponsor and has to pay for the privilege of being associated with the games. So there shouldn't be any doubt Nintendo spent a lot of money to make this little marketing exercise possible. My only argument is that such resources would have been better spent elsewhere, in light of Nintendo's diminished global presence this past year.

Nintendo surely paid, as did Shueisha. The Olympics is less about athletes and more about an elaborate exercise in bribery and co-branding. The International Olympic Committee isn't stupid, they aren't going to give Nintendo a world stage and global coverage for free, money changed hands to make this cameo possible. A pity then Nintendo doesn't have any new products to promote at the moment.

casiopao

I've actually heard that all gaming companies in Japan, being entertainment businesses, have some ties to Yakuza... But I did hear a story about Sega kidnapping the sister of one of its employees who had a thought of leaving it for another company.

I even remember hearing from some of friends from JP that Sega especially Sammy had direct link with some of they big Yakuza in Japan lol.

Konami is also often linked with some Yakuza i remember. The only one i remember had almost zero problem with Yakuza is Bamco here.

I'm personally hoping Pokémon has some sort of cool tie-in spin-off considering they're doing some merchandise

CqV6FrnWEAA4F6g.jpg

This will depend on TPC rather than Nintendo right? But, well if everything goes right, the launching of Nintendo Land in Japan is the same year as Olympic so in a way, Nintendo is going to join the big promotion fun lol.

Venfayth

Did anyone find Abe showing up as Mario distasteful at all?

I know it was just a good bit of fun, but my initial reaction when I heard about it was that it seemed a bit shallow for Japan's Prime Minister to show up as Mario.

Not a strong feeling of mine or anything, just seemed a bit off.

Retrobox

This company is just a rollercoaster of emotions.

I'm pretty sure other companies would KILL to have their brand presented at the Olympics for everyone to see, let alone for FREE.

You have absolutely disastrous things happening with Nintendo one moment, but also things like this the next moment. That's just hilarious to me.

I know it was just a good bit of fun, but my initial reaction when I heard about it was that it seemed a bit shallow for Japan's Prime Minister to show up as Mario.

Distasteful to Mario or to Abe?

Abe, but Japan in general.

Nah man, Mario is a universal icon that can essentially represent Japan's enduring cultural impact in the modern world. Everyone knows Mario like everyone knows Mickey Mouse. And remember, THEY reached out to Nintendo, so obviously they felt like Mario was the right choice to represent Japan to the world.

I would imagine Abe himself wouldn't be as thrilled to be part of the gag, but whatever. His grandkids probably love him for it.

casiopao

This company is just a rollercoaster of emotions.

I'm pretty sure other companies would KILL to have their brand presented at the Olympics for everyone to see, let alone for FREE.

You have absolutely disastrous things happening with Nintendo one moment, but also things like this the next moment. That's just hilarious to me.

That is why they are called Leave Luck to Heaven lol. As long as the Nintendo had the financial power to hold survive for a very long time, one day the RNG Goddess is going to support Nintendo and they will rise and bring terror to all its competitor again lol.^_^

Shallow? Not really, Mario is a icon and not many actually recognised the Japan PM.
However, I don't really like this appearance after some thoughts since I don't really like Abe =/ It's still cool that one of the world leader dress up as Super Mario on a world stage, only that It will be cooler if it's someone like Obama.

oti

Banned
It's Super Mario! Dude was more popular than Mickey Mouse at some points wasn't he? Of course they'd use him.

There it is. It got me so hyped for Tokyo 2020 I am already planning my trip.

Give us the deets! I want to go there too.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
That is why they are called Leave Luck to Heaven lol. As long as the Nintendo had the financial power to hold survive for a very long time, one day the RNG Goddess is going to support Nintendo and they will rise and bring terror to all its competitor again lol.^_^
Are they really competing, or are they just cohabiting?

Shallow? Not really, Mario is a icon and not many actually recognised the Japan PM.
However, I don't really like this appearance after some thoughts since I don't really like Abe =/ It's still cool that one of the world leader dress up as Super Mario on a world stage, only that It will be cooler if it's someone like Obama.

Not much of a fan if Abe either, but even if Nintendo had no plans to pay for sponsorship, they weren't going to turn down free advertising on that level.

El-Suave

They are not going to be a sponsor? That's sad.

Who sponsors the Olympics isn't so much up to Japan, it's up to the IOC - their partnerships usually aren't just for one event and the sponsor pool might already be closed to begin with. If Nintendo, or other video game related companies, want in on the action they'd have to partner with Coca Cola, McDonalds and the other usual sponsors. Think special Coke cans, Happy Meals, Mario edition cars etc..

Rappy

The prime minister clearly and conspicuously displays Nintendo accoutrements without a single cent being spent on the latter's behalf. That is unprecedented. Given how commercialized the Olympics is and how much money is being spent, I highly doubt the IOC would allow such overt displays of advertisement free of gratuity because of the kindness of their hearts.
Okay, instead of just posting shitty gifs, I'll explain the errors of reasoning and comprehension of the scenario:

Money was still spent for the segment by Japan/Dentsu Inc. This is not the IOC giving that segment of time for free. Dentsu approached Nintendo to request to use Mario as another user pointed out from an article. If anything, they would be paying Nintendo for the use of the IP. Again Dentsu, not the IOC.

Abe, but Japan in general.
In what sense is it distasteful? Because it is videogame character and videogames are somehow not "mature" and "honorable"? Abe agreed to dress up as Mario. The committee responsible decided it was a good idea to include Mario to represent Japan for the segment. And from the article:
Purists might feel the commercial branding was a bit overdone, and argue for other ways to promote Japanese culture, according to Dorfman, who has lived in Japan.

“But gaming and anime are certainly major aspects of modern Japan, and Mario is a universal icon. As someone who doesn’t take sports or the Olympics too seriously, I found the whole thing pretty funny and entertaining,” he said.
Of course there are other aspects of Japanese culture, but what they decided to go with does not make it any less respectable or legitimate just because "they're videogames".

I'd be interested for comparison to see if anyone spent/received money when James bond appeared in a skit then jumped out of a helicopter with the queen at the London event.

My guess is they were happy to be there or Danny Boyle paid them, rather than Eon Productions paying for the privilege/exposure.

MCN

Banned
If Nintendo, or other video game related companies, want in on the action they'd have to partner with Coca Cola, McDonalds and the other usual sponsors. Think special Coke cans, Happy Meals, Mario edition cars etc..

Or they can just make Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo Olympic Games, like they usually do.

I guess if you get to use an existing property as a means to advertise an upcoming event you might expect to pay for it, right? So well done Nintendo for.. er...

Jintor

i mean he's a conservative vaguely fascist hawk so yeah, pretty disrespectful to mario imho

Codeblue

Do juniors still get permed for their first offense? I'm sort of looking forward to Kintor bumping this thread in three months to set the record straight.

I'm horrified to the depths by which Nintendo controls bureaucracy in Japan. There's corruption at the highest levels of civil office and incredible clout wielded by the executives.

I'm not surprised since they have been around for more than 120 years. That certainly is enough time for them to dig their claws into government and exert their influence at all levels without nary a worry of rebuff.

lPhnTSP.jpg
I see you Kintor
lPhnTSP.jpg

Or they can just make Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo Olympic Games, like they usually do.

Nah, with the opening of their amusement park in the same year, I'd have to believe they'd team up with sponsors of the olympics for that additional brand awareness.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fucking hell, Dentsu is just way too big. I can't even think of any advertising done in Japan that hasn't been handed to them.

Damn, dude went out in that thread like a wet fart and we can't even get the pleasure of seeing his reaction to this "news." That, boys and girls, is what we call loud and wrong. You can be loud, and you can be wrong, but you don't want to be both or you'll become a GAF legend for all the wrong reasons.

Akhe

NEHyrdB_kTHpcqsgpE0z9dGhB5OyAzjpGjm0xBfOGFn9S1e0h7CdjZDF1i9rWkiMiaujUbNdvSLJR-IpZyswLZMuxmAglP2-c3uV-i4=w453-h325-nc

Umm.... getting a gigantic exposure from Olympic is not something to be happy for?O_O

Sure, that was tongue in cheek, it was mutually beneficial. But surely it would be just as likely for the IOC to have to pay Nintendo than for the other way around? Just seemed funny to me everyone slapping Ninty on the back for having been paid no money. ;-)

correojon

Sure, that was tongue in cheek, it was mutually beneficial. But surely it would be just as likely for the IOC to have to pay Nintendo than for the other way around? Just seemed funny to me everyone slapping Ninty on the back for having been paid no money. ;-)

Think about it the other way: right now in Japan people might be saying how nice it was from Nintendo to collaborate to represent the country before the rst of the world without asking anything in return. Not only did get an insane promotion from this, it didn´t cost them a thing and people will even think they´re some sort of "heroes".

Kazerei

Banned
Including that starting one, also enjoy:

This is the best one:

A stronger presence at E3 (or at least a dozen Nintendo directs) would do more for Nintendo's global presence then this bizarre stunt at Rio. At least at E3 Nintendo would be assured that gamers and the enthusiast media would be paying attention. While at Rio, it's a mix bag and nobody was watching the closing ceremony anticipating co-branding with Mario. Really, Nintendo at Rio seems like a continuation of their failed 'blue ocean' strategy, trying to chase the casual crowd that made the Wii a success without realising that the industry has moved on.

Top Bottom