• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPER MARIO GALAXY

SantaC

jett said:
That new IGN vid was pretty sweet...man the E3 demo is frigging BIG. I hope that's indicative of how big the worlds in SMG are. I'm guessing the music is just a placeholder, 'cause it sounds very un-mario-ish.

yeah and the demo was just made up for this E3 and wont be in the final game.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
one thing that has disappointed me a little about SMG is that the effects of gravity don't change from one celestial body to the next. the smaller the planet/asteroid the more floaty the jumps should be, and the higher Mario can jump. Kinda like the moon. Then on a really big object he could barely jump at all, and when he falls from a height he plummets to the surface in a flash. it'd all have to be exaggerated beyond realism of course (not going to have a Jupiter sized planet just to be realistic obviously), but I think those sorts of changes in gravity could present interesting puzzles and challenges.

Scrow said:
one thing that has disappointed me a little about SMG is that the effects of gravity don't change from one celestial body to the next. the smaller the planet/asteroid the more floaty the jumps should be, and the higher Mario can jump. Kinda like the moon. Then on a really big object he could barely jump at all, and when he falls from a height he plummets to the surface in a flash. it'd all have to be exaggerated beyond realism of course (not going to have a Jupiter sized planet just to be realistic obviously), but I think those sorts of changes in gravity could present interesting puzzles and challenges.

I'm pretty sure they will add something like that to the game, it's just too obvious not to include. We have only seen one level demo so far, so there must be plenty of gameplay elements that we haven't seen.

Scrow said:

I'm almost 100% positive this very element will indeed not only be in the game but will be an integral part of the final game and maybe even the reason they chose the space theme from a gameplay standpoint.

Defintely, definitely, definitely expect different areas/planets with varying degrees of gravity.

I can see areas with zero gravity where Mario is floating around and you have to use the Wiimote to guide him around/past enemies/obstacles.

Xellotah

Regardless, I dig the Galaxy theme much more than the sunshine theme. Even without the WiiMote, there are just sooo many gameplay opportunities.

ziran

Scrow said:
the nintendo rep doing the booth tour at gametrailers said the gravity changes as the planet sizes change, but i think most of the planets in the demo had pretty similar sizes so it probably wasn't apparent:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=10655&type=wmv

it also suggests there are going to be a range of planet sizes, can't wait to see what nintendo does with the bigger ones.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
if it was going to be in the game to the capacity i'm describing we should've seen it in effect even for the E3 demo. i'm sure they'll have elements of what i'm describing here and there throughout the game, but it doesn't looking like they'll implement it to the extent i'd like to see.

ziran said:
the nintendo rep doing the booth tour at gametrailers said the gravity changes as the planet sizes change, but i think most of the planets in the demo had pretty similar sizes so it probably wasn't apparent
eh... there were some pretty tiny asteroids and then much bigger "planets" and i didn't notice any difference between them.

ziran

Scrow said:
if it was going to be in the game to the capacity i'm describing we should've seen it in effect even for the E3 demo. i'm sure they'll have elements of what i'm describing here and there throughout the game, but it doesn't looking like they'll implement it to the extent i'd like to see.

eh... there were some pretty tiny asteroids and then much bigger "planets" and i didn't notice any difference between them.
i'm saying if the nintendo rep said planet sizes would give different gravities it's at least something nintendo is working on. i gave a link to the video, watch it if you don't believe me.

the changes may be felt more easily and distinctly when comparing a huge planet, something not seen in the demo with smaller ones. i doubt nintendo would reveal everything interesting about mario galaxy in its first public demo.

This is one of the reasons though I'm wary about Nintendo rushing this out for launch.

I'd like to see the dev team have an additional 4-5 months of dev time because the concept has so much potential.

With Zelda and Metroid already in the launch window ... really every Nintendo fan is going to want a Wii system anyway.

Nintendo honestly should be working on getting more stuff like Wii Karaoke and (dare I say) Wii Cooking ready for the Wii launch because I'm not so sure Wii Sports alone cuts it for garnering the wider audience Nintendo wants.

Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed some more snippets of info about Wii title Super Mario Galaxy, including news of how it'll work with the remote controller.

Speaking to MTV, Miyamoto said that the biggest focus for the game "Is having different spheres or planets Mario can visit, with the idea being if the planet gets very, very large the scenery will look more like he's running across a plain.

"But if the planet is very small it looks almost like he's running around a ball. You can essentially run over the spheres almost endlessly."
Advertisement

The whole idea, Miyamoto explained, is that "You're moving in a 3-D space but without the typical camera issues that we've had in 3-D games in the past.

"What that allows us to do is take a game like Mario that has been a very jump-based game in the past, and turn it into a game that is more [about] Mario running around a lot and going to different places and kind of enjoying that."

And as for that Wii remote - well, according to Miyamoto, you'll be able to "Directly interact with things on the screen by pointing at them or clicking on something to get Mario to go exactly where you want to go.

"In that sense, I think it's going to allow for a much more intuitive camera system and much more intuitive control scheme that will allow people who have never played a 3D Mario game before to feel comfortable enjoying Super Mario Galaxy."

POSTED ON EUROGAMER

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i liked the e3 demo, which was very light on platforming...but it's still disappointing to hear that the game as a whole is consciously moving away from platforming. that's what mario does.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
drohne said:
i liked the e3 demo, which was very light on platforming...but it's still disappointing to hear that the game as a whole is consciously moving away from platforming. that's what mario does.
Eh, miyamoto says that, but the gaps have to be filled in somewhere, so id fret not.

Tumalu

Scrow said:

I wouldn't really want all the big planets to have high gravity though. I'd prefer that they just vary the gravity separately from the planet size since, as you said, varying the planet size wouldn't realistically affect the gravity that much anyway.

I was surprised that they didn't give the "planet" around that black hole stronger gravity though.

Tumalu

Smiles and Cries said:
the blackhole could very well be a warpzone anyway... this is mario a cartoon like universe no need to nitpick astrophysics
I didn't really mean to nitpick. I'm not complaining that higher gravity wasn't there. I was just surprised since the rep did mention something about varying gravity, and that seems like the most obvious place to do it, that's all. And didn't you die if you fell into it in the demo? That's not to say they couldn't use it as a warp zone in the actual game though.

ant1532

Banned
ziran said:
not direct feed, but still great pics and the best stills of mario galaxy i've seen. beautiful and in glorious widescreen:
http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748588/imgs_1.html
beautiful indeed
super-mario-galaxy-20060531030005928.jpg

super-mario-galaxy-20060531030001303.jpg

super-mario-galaxy-20060531030005303.jpg

super-mario-galaxy-20060531041733664.jpg

super-mario-galaxy-20060531041732492.jpg

super-mario-galaxy-20060531030005599.jpg

^ That planet is AWESOME
super-mario-galaxy-20060531030003115.jpg

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly

I don't know why the people working on SSBB don't just use this model of Mario. I'm not the biggest fan of using a high detail denim texture for Mario in SSBB.

Scrow said:

I don't know why the people working on SSBB don't just use this model of Mario. I'm not the biggest fan of using a high detail denim texture for Mario in SSBB.

It was basically the same way in Melee. The Super Smash Bros franchise alters the characters appearance and style only slightly to give make it its own and unique.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
super-mario-galaxy-20060531030005303.jpg

wtfgalaxy1cf.jpg

Oh Nintendo!

You and your subliminal sexcapades. :lol :lol

We have a chick taking a crooked dong, spewing a red load.

KINGMOKU

Man this game is going to rule. Just the thought of exploring massive worlds, alongside tiny ones has almost a wind waker boat sailing feel to it, without the pointing the boat, and change the channle to watch "chips" while you get there problem.

Just looks wonderous, and this screen brings out the screaming "woweeee!!!" kid inside of me.

"I wanna explore da moon!"

super-mario-galaxy-2006053103000495.jpg

Miyamoto said:
What that allows us to do is take a game like Mario that has been a very jump-based game in the past, and turn it into a game that is more [about] Mario running around a lot and going to different places and kind of enjoying that.
Damn it. I'm with drohne on this -- Mario hasn't really been purely about jumping since the SNES. Yeah, running around is ok, but it's been done to death since the inception of full 3D games. How about some real platforming? Even playing the less than stellar NSMB was incredibly fun because I just miss some solid, skill-based, timing-intensive jumping action.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
cause 2d platforming is 1000 times better than 3d platforming

and anyway, its about time mario trys something new. hey it worked for re!

border

The more I see, the less I like. No significant platforming, and the warped perspectives make me kind of sick-to-my-stomach. I hate that the camera refuses to flip/adapt and forces you to play upside-down so much of the time.

ant1532

Banned
idk but you guys but i thought Noki Bay from sunshine was an awesome level and had some great jumping challanges. (well at least from what i remember)

Scrow said:

I ****ing love that model of Mario. The lighting really gives it a CG-esque look, significantly different than any realtime mario model we've seen inthe past.

jko

This just in!!!

Super Mario Galaxy: Two Player Co-op Revealed

We haven't received a whole lot of updates regarding Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii, so Nintendo decided to brighten up our day by confirming that this game will include a two player cooperative mode. Although the exact details haven't been released, we do know that one player will use the standard Wiimote, while the other player will use a Wiimote and the Nunchuck controller. Both players will be in control at the same time, but other than that our guess is as good as yours. We do know that the overall theme of the game will revolve around rescuing Princess Peach (big surprise, right?), but the rest remains a mystery. Tell us what you think would make a great cooperative mode, and be sure to check out previous Super Mario Galaxy updates for some interesting updates including a video.

http://wii.qj.net/Super-Mario-Galaxy-Two-Player-Co-op-Revealed/pg/49/aid/56607

Top Bottom