• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker for 3DS will not support 3D

This doesn't make any sense.

It does, actually: the game is straining the hell out of the original 3DS, so by restricting it to 2D, they can presumably keep framerates higher, or have other benefits.

There's a reason it doesn't support all the Wii U levels, or let you download ones you want specifically. It can only run a subset of them.

Is 3D really all that important for this?

IMO 3D is the dumbest thing about the 3DS.

It's nice that you feel that way, but some of us were sold on a glasses-free 3D view as a main feature of the portable, which the New 3DS even improved on.

udivision

It's a dumb decision, for sure, but I don't think it's indicative of NX. NX will be a fresh start.

No... there's no reason to think that. In fact, Nintendo pretty reliably struggles with the same issues and the same inconsistency gen over gen.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
but it's in a red box

1268483.gif

So you can't upload courses online or even render the levels in 3D. You can only share levels through fucking Street Pass.

Like, why even bother with this half-baked port?

It does, actually: the game is straining the hell out of the original 3DS, so by restricting it to 2D, they can presumably keep framerates higher, or have other benefits.

There's a reason it doesn't support all the Wii U levels, or let you download ones you want specifically. It can only run a subset of them.

If that's the case why not make it distinct where 3DS has their own independent level community from the Wii U?

If that's the case why not make it distinct where 3DS has their own independent level community from the Wii U?

I would presume that they feel like they can get it close enough to where they can whitelist a large amount of the levels through some automated means.

It may just be the mechanics-heavy, or really full stages that won't work, or cause too much slowdown in their view.

oti

Banned
Eh, I don't mind. I just want endless Mario on the go so I'm still getting it. Whether it's 3D or not I don't care but it could've been pretty cool.

After all the goodwill and excellent word of mouth the first game built up (completely deserved too), this port sounds like a complete disaster. Real shame. Mario Maker as a subline deserves better than this. :/

Vitacat

Did anyone really expect this to be more than a cash-in? It was never going to be more than a budget effort from Nintendo. All the real dev work is going to NX.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Since i sold my wii u after the third zelda delay.
I only miss mario maker.
So day 1 for me!

Dweebo

Banned
Does anyone else get the vibe that this last wave of 3DS and WiiU games that are releasing are just quick cash grabs to fund the NX production/games? Because I'm getting those vibes.

Did anyone really expect this to be more than a cash-in? It was never going to be more than a budget effort from Nintendo. All the real dev work is going to NX.

While this was pretty clearly a schedule-filling panic mode release to pad out the holiday lineup, Nintendo's ports are generally pretty good. They're more well known for technical wizardry to even get them running (e.g. Xenoblade 3D) or cutting corners in reasonable places while preserving the core gameplay (e.g. Donkey Kong Returns being 30fps).

I can't think of one that's ever dropped the ball this badly, to the point where you wonder why they even bothered. Maybe Hyrule Warriors with its infamous performance issues on the OG 3DS, but that's it.

rrs

A multilayered side scrolling game on the 3DS in 2D? Fucking why? I would look great in 3D, I mean, look at how good Sonic 1-2 looked in 3D.
smm smells of a rushed port, while the sega 3d collection is well, not. Also consider that smm would have more complex action on screen vs sonic

Does anyone else get the vibe that this last wave of 3DS and WiiU games that are releasing are just quick cash grabs to fund the NX production/games? Because I'm getting those vibes.

Nintendo is not hurting for cash. That said, their good teams/large projects shifted to NX some time ago. Almost all of their games this year are small teams making games with a small budget and limited dev cycle to pad out the release lineup.

Jeffrey

seems like mostly for a performance standpoint if the game can actually play all the stages from the wii u editor. I assume a fully 'maxed' stage would chug the 3ds cpu.

Wait it CAN play every wii u stage right?

It's because Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Bros. U weren't in 3D. They are giving you the authentic Mario experience.

Phu

Banned
I don't think the advantages of having this game on a portable come close to making up for these other drawbacks.

Madao

another kick in the balls for those that wanted Mario Maker but never had a Wii U

maybe this is Nintendo's way to punish people who didn't buy a wii u

From what I've played of Kirby triple deluxe, that seems really good.

isn't that Hal Labs?

Toxi

Banned

Seriously?

FZZ

Banned
Biggest announcement Nintendo had this whole year after Breath of the Wild brehs

and nah Pokemon is Game Freak

Jmon

I love how everyone acts like this is a big deal.

NSMB 2's 3D effect was absolutely terrible, literally nothing of value was lost.

...but it's fun to complain about "expected" checkbox-features I guess...

No online sharing is a valid complaint though.

I'm not getting the cynicism. Like it's one of their best games on a system that's played by more people. This seems like a no-brainer and not the bullshit "lazy devs cash in" everybody is screaming.

No online does suck though.

KingBroly

Banned

NSMB 2's 3D effect was absolutely terrible, literally nothing of value was lost.

3D Land's 3D was great though. And 3D on retro-looking games is great as well.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that.
And it's a brand new 3D game literally built around being on the 3DS instead of a port that uses Mario assets which were made over the last 30 years.

Like, why has Kirby's good 3D implementation any bearing on MM and why is 3D something people care about all of a sudden ?

Edit: ^ Yes, 3D Land looked nice and more importantly: played really well because of the added sense of depth.

I'm less impressed by 2D retro sidescrollers that have been retooled to take advantage of the 3D.
Sonic and Kirby's adventure were OK, but they still looked a bit whatever.

Mr. F

Banned
I never realized 3D support was a deal maker/breaker for people on 3DS, I don't know anyone who actually uses it anymore.

No 3D by itself is whatever, but its absence is basically icing on top of the lack of online sharing. It doesn't help the perception that this is a rushed, sloppy port.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the only 3Ds game that has no 3D support? Or are there others?

urfe

I never use the 3D on my 3DS, and can't believe people care about this.

The online sharing thing yeah, but this is almost a good thing in my opinion.

Top Bottom