• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaraghan

Jesus tapdancing Christ. Nintendo is SLAYING this year. I really hope I finish Shadow of War before the 27th.

Because when that day arrives, I am dropping everything to play this game.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I disagree. Its got its problems in retrospect, but for the time it was released the scope of the game was massive, and the story really good. That vision of liberty city is still the tops. Go back and play it!

My only real problem was the lack of variety in missions, but it was the first game to feel like a living breathing world (to me)

i bought an xbox 360 back in the day just to play it. did not even finish the game. it was terrible back then and it is still terrible today.

great production values do not make a great game.

Apart from Sunshine.
get-out.gif

It's baffling how a game getting a 10 upset some people

This game that isnt on my microsoft or sony box got a ten! But a game that was on my microsoft or sony box earlier this year got a 9.5! This is clearly collusion and not my own insecurity that the box i chose doesnt have this good
Game despite having tons of other great ones. Anyway im thrilled to see this, i have high hopes for the review thread. The quality of 3d mario has never wavered and in a time with so much uncertainty surrounding loot boxes and the nature of triple a games, im glad to see that hasnt changed.

I’m so ready for this game to enter my bloodstream. Between this, Zelda, Splatoon and Xenoblade, I’m not sure Nintendo can top this year for me.

Little Mons†er;251701814 said:
perched for the real meltdowns in the review thread

200.gif
Early images of the review thread.

Code:
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Flickr_-_Israel_Defense_Forces_-_Confiscated_Ammunition_in_Warehouse.jpg[/IMG]

Holy fuck.

Preordered the bundle for my son for Christmas. Kinda jealous of the kid now lmao

Also, the hell with the Sunshine slander? It being the weaker entry doesn't make it trash. It was still a great game.

I remember during the Wii era, there was a long period of time when people asked "Where is Mario? Where is Zelda?"

2017, we have an amazing Zelda, and by all evidence provided so far, an amazing Mario.

We got an amazing Zelda at launch and amazing Mario within a year on Wii tho?

Lusankya

I'm not expecting something grand like playable Peach, but it does give me hope that the plot actually varies a bit.

"haw haw but its mario" Yes I know, but I would still appreciate it.

They write a little bit more about it, but are intentionally vague.

Actually she could be playable, considering you can see her wearing a Tiara with Eyes like Cappy in the trailers.

I remember during the Wii era, there was a long period of time when people asked "Where is Mario? Where is Zelda?"

2017, we have an amazing Zelda, and by all evidence provided so far, an amazing Mario.

Didn't we get Twilight Princess, Galaxy 1 AND Metroid Prime 3 within the first year? The problem with the Wii was everyone's odd fixation on the casual titles while ignoring the core ones

So, as someone who has watched Nintendo extremely closely for 20 years, I knew that when they were putting that list of 800 things wrong with the company together that they would become a better business.

I couldn't have imagined they would have become this great of a game maker though. Which isn't to say they weren't before, but it felt like their coordination and execution of great games suffered as their business went through puberty. Assuming the game is as good as the best games of this year, they've really transformed into a new company. Consistent incredibly high scoring games from one dev studio in the same year is almost unheard of.

Good, i was worried about the difficulty of the game with the pre-release demos but i know edge wouldn't give a game a 10/10 if it lacked challenge at some point.

Nintendo stays winning BABY 😘

Holy fuck.

Preordered the bundle for my son for Christmas. Kinda jealous of the kid now lmao

Also, the hell with the Sunshine slander? It being the weaker entry doesn't make it trash. It was still a great game.

I also preordered the bundle for my son for Christmas and I pledged to start playing it at the same time as him. God, how am I going to last until Christmas.

It's baffling how a game getting a 10 upset some people

Skimming the last couple of pages in this thread, it doesn't seem that way. It seems that for every one "hater"/"salty person" there are several people on the other side (that is, people reacting negatively to the "hater").

In any case, let's all rejoice because QUALITY video games are being published. It's crazy how consistent Mario and Zelda are as series, getting very favorable / rave reviews game after game. Oof.

tkscz

All Nintendo really said was that Galaxy-3D World was linear and appealed to everyone while SM64,Sunshine and now Odyssey are open world and appealed to the hardcore gamer (hence them calling 64 and sunshine core games).

None of that "Real 3D" bullshit people seems to parrot when they want to shit on 3D World.

3D World was one of the best Mario games I've ever played. It felt like the Super Mario World sequel I've been waiting for.

3D World was one of the best Mario games I've ever played. It felt like the Super Mario World sequel I've been waiting for.

No lies detected. 3D World was the most fun I had with a Mario game since... Well, Super Mario World. Only slight flaw is that the initial worlds are a bit on the easy side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom