• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumhead

Banned
Mario games have always been hit and miss for me so I don't treat them as an automatic sure thing.

I've had a good feeling about this though from the moment they announced it and when others moaned about the humans in New Donk City. I'm super excited for this.

Little Mons†er;251701814 said:
perched for the real meltdowns in the review thread

200.gif

I've never understood the mentality of wanting a game to fail.

I want everything to be good - even stuff I'm not into.

After severe deliberation, i decided to get this game digitally, here in Brazil physical games takes one or two weeks after release to get here and i realized that zelda will most likely never give up on that card slot.

Black_Red

I've never understood the mentality of wanting a game to fail.

I want everything to be good - even stuff I'm not into.

I wanted the order to fail to avoid more games in that line (extremely cinematic AAA with more attention to graphics than gameplay).

I feel like that went pretty well actually.

zoodoo

HOW?!?!?! Jesus. Nintendo won 2017. Fuck errthang. Can't wait to play Mario...shit, I still haven't beaten Zelda (i'm trying to get all of the Shrines finished before fighting Ganon...lololol, not all of the seeds tho...also, without any help or guide...as god intended it)

on the same boat here. 78 shrines and 230 koroks so far. i have no clue what the total numbers are as I am playing blind (no youtube or guide). Guess I'll have to balance my time between mario with zelda. Not a bad situation to be in.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yeah, but... we'll have to see how well it sells to see if it's GOTY-worthy :/

I can hardly wait for the 27th. Wolf II and Odyssey on the same day is nuuuuuuuts.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm poking fun at other certain game. I know Odyssey will sell as much as, if not more, than Zelda. It's by definition a system seller.

Ducktail

After severe deliberation, i decided to get this game digitally, here in Brazil physical games takes one or two weeks after release to get here and i realized that zelda will most likely never give up on that card slot.

Same rational here. Plus, where can we buy physical copies at a fair price? Impossible, unless you buy them abroad.

I will get it two days before release. Just like Zelda, MvCI and many others.

I can't really place the logic to this argument but it's definitely an interesting discussion to be had for sure. For example, if a reviewer's favorite game is Ocarina of Time and they play Breath of the Wild going in knowing the franchise is known for its high quality, would that reviewer be unable to be disappointed by the changes between their favorite game and this new game? That to me seems like a more reasonable bias effect than the opposite, where they know the series is known for quality so for some reason they already start with a high score in mind.

Regardless, I think we can both agree that the claims of this being an industry wide Nintendo bias thing that resulted in 69 perfect 10s and a 98 metacritic score for BotW are nonsense, right?

Like I said, I think it actually works both ways.

I actually wrote a blog about the bias you’re specifically talking about, which I think is very prevalent as it pertains to film sequels.

https://celluloidandsilicon.com/201...ctively-impedes-the-fair-analysis-of-sequels/

But I also think bias is subtle and people often don’t realize or acknowledge their own.

Something like Mario is such hallowed ground – especially an entry like this to the mainline franchise – that we expect it to be great and go in believing it will be.

I know I certainly do.

I think in general there are certain key franchises that enjoy a presumption of quality because they’ve earned it by delivering again and again but I also think that sometimes that presumption might lend itself to a slight inflation of scores by some.

But also to be clear, I’m talking about the subjective space between a 9 and a 10, which, as I pointed out initially, is nothing more than hair splitting and message board fodder.

I certainly don’t subscribe to the notion that there’s some systemic, industry-wide bias for Nintendo products and games as a whole.

Plum

I wouldn't worry about sales. Nintendo is putting all of their marketing brunt behind this, and seeing as this isn't 2012 Nintendo that marketing won't be utter shite. Odyssey has also consistently been high up on the bestsellers list on Amazon UK, and we're one of Nintendo's toughest markets. Right now the only things beating it are Shadow of War (PS4) and the PS4/X1 versions of FIFA 18.

dc89

4TfeeGW.png

I've been thinking of subscribing to Edge lately. I kinda miss having a magazine to pick up and read every now and then or take out to work with me.

Neiteio

Busy at the moment — can someone summarize the contents of the review (if it's available yet), i.e. the strong points, etc.

For example, do they comment on the overall challenge?

Gta 4 still is a 10/10 to me.
GTA IV being a 10/10 makes exactly as much sense as Gran Turismo or the original Half-Life having perfect scores. Even if they haven't aged well, their importance in the moment can't be overstated. It was a generation-pushing game, aiming to be something beyond the present capabilities of the medium. Even if it hasn't aged well, reviews rewarded that ambition. IV marked Rockstar taking a crack at telling complex character-driven drama within the GTA structure. They made mistakes along the way, but they were in uncharted territory. You don't get to Red Dead Redemption without the lessons learned by making GTA IV.

I can hardly wait for the 27th. Wolf II and Odyssey on the same day is nuuuuuuuts.
The game is already in 4th best selling game of the whole 2017 in amazon US. Just behind MK8, BOTW and Horizon... Dont worry.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I wouldn't worry about sales. Nintendo is putting all of their marketing brunt behind this, and seeing as this isn't 2012 Nintendo that marketing won't be utter shite. Odyssey has also consistently been high up on the bestsellers list on Amazon UK, and we're one of Nintendo's toughest markets. Right now the only things beating it are Shadow of War (PS4) and the PS4/X1 versions of FIFA 18.

I know. It'll be a hit, like Zelda.

To be honest, my comment was actually snark directed at certain people who ask "But is it GOTY-worthy" every time sales numbers for a certain game come up :p

GTA IV being a 10/10 makes exactly as much sense as Gran Turismo or the original Half-Life having perfect scores. Even if they haven't aged well, their importance in the moment can't be overstated. It was a generation-pushing game, aiming to be something beyond the present capabilities of the medium. Even if it hasn't aged well, reviews rewarded that ambition. IV marked Rockstar taking a crack at telling complex character-driven drama within the GTA structure. They made mistakes along the way, but they were in uncharted territory. You don't get to Red Dead Redemption without the lessons learned by making GTA IV.

exactly, i love GTA IV even with its flaws

Neiteio

This is a good point. I don't care for GTA4, outside of its sandbox shenanigans. However, there's no denying its ambition. Its world-building and overall attention to detail was astounding at the time.

I wanted the order to fail to avoid more games in that line (extremely cinematic AAA with more attention to graphics than gameplay).

I feel like that went pretty well actually.

There's a difference between wanting a game to tank that deserves to fail because it is actually flawed versus wanting something to fail because you don't own the system, dislike the franchise, or have some other biases tugging at you.

phanphare

Banned
Busy at the moment — can someone summarize the contents of the review (if it's available yet), i.e. the strong points, etc.

Edge Magazine said:
Super Mario Odyssey is the latest from Nintendo and after putting the cartridge in the slot we were happy to see that the icon is quite nice. Nintendo has set a wonderful precedent with their icons up until now so it's no surprise that Super Mario Odyssey follows suit but with all of the expectations surrounding the game we were happy to have our expectations met and even exceeded.

Final Thoughts: In a year that has seen many great Switch icons Super Mario Odyssey stands up to the best of them and for our tastes stands out as one of the very best

10/10

Sunshine is a weird game.

It's not bad by any stretch but it feels almost like a franchise spin off or something.

Also, it didn't feel nearly as jaw-dropping and innovative as Mario 64, which was one of those games that changed the medium forever.

drek_max

Neo Member
I don't understand people's hate with GTA 4, sure they got many things wrong. But surely got much more things right. It set a new industry standard for open world games. As far as I remember, it was the first living, breathing game world done right. As opposed to dystopian world of half life or last of us.

Sunshine is a weird game.

It's not bad by any stretch but it feels almost like a franchise spin off or something.

Also, it didn't feel nearly as jaw-dropping and innovative as Mario 64, which was one of those games that changed the medium forever.

sunshine and wind waker are great, but they suffer from the same problem to me, the main core of the game is quite short and has a lot of padding in the main quest. Even though the soundtrack, visuals, and many aspects are absolutely phenomenal, they aren't finished games like the other entries in the franchise.

My rule is to purchase a console when I have 3 games I need to experience for myself.

We're at 2 now with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey.

1 more Nintendo, 1 more.

Like I said, I think it actually works both ways.

I actually wrote a blog about the bias you're specifically talking about, which I think is very prevalent as it pertains to film sequels.

https://celluloidandsilicon.com/201...ctively-impedes-the-fair-analysis-of-sequels/

But I also think bias is subtle and people often don't realize or acknowledge their own.

Something like Mario is such hallowed ground – especially an entry like this to the mainline franchise – that we expect it to be great and go in believing it will be.

I know I certainly do.

I think in general there are certain key franchises that enjoy a presumption of quality because they've earned it by delivering again and again but I also think that sometimes that presumption might lend itself to a slight inflation of scores by some.

But also to be clear, I'm talking about the subjective space between a 9 and a 10, which, as I pointed out initially, is nothing more than hair splitting and message board fodder.

I certainly don't subscribe to the notion that there's some systemic, industry-wide bias for Nintendo products and games as a whole.

That was an interesting piece, thanks for sharing.

I guess I can see the type of bias you're referring to. I can imagine that for some reviewers, going into a game with optimism can diminish some of the faults in the game just like going in expecting it to be bad (whether from poor pedigree or bad previous showings) can magnify those faults. So yeah, I think I see where you're coming from that this type of thing can (and does) go both ways.

Either way, I think the fact that it does go both ways likely balances out the bias overall. You have some people with higher expectations and some people more emotionally invested in this series, and I don't think we can say there's any pattern that the critic industry skews one way or the other, which is what you said (Edit: meaning, I agree with your point haha)

This issue isn't even supposed to be out until tomorrow, so I think we'll have to wait until then to hear more. We've only been shown small blurbs of paragraphs, one of which is suggesting there will be slightly fewer moons in this game than there were Korok seeds in BotW.

Which is insane.

My rule is to purchase a console when I have 3 games I need to experience for myself.

We're at 2 now with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey.

1 more Nintendo, 1 more.

Mario + Rabbids is your third. Incredible game.

ekim

The Switch is my first Nintendo console and I had the most fun on it this year (well maybe outside of Overwatch on PC). BotW and Rabbids/Mario are both incredibly good games. Especially Zelda was mind blowing. Can’t wait for Mario. Super pumped for my first mainline Mario console game. (Never played even the first Mario games outside of a few levels of SMB at a friend when I was a kid)

That was an interesting piece, thanks for sharing.

I guess I can see the type of bias you're referring to. I can imagine that for some reviewers, going into a game with optimism can diminish some of the faults in the game just like going in expecting it to be bad (whether from poor pedigree or bad previous showings) can magnify those faults. So yeah, I think I see where you're coming from that this type of thing can (and does) go both ways.

Either way, I think the fact that it does go both ways likely balances out the bias overall. You have some people with higher expectations and some people more emotionally invested in this series, and I don't think we can say there's any pattern that the critic industry skews one way or the other, which is what you said.

Thanks for reading it. :)

I don't think people giving a boost to something they love is a big deal regardless.

Reviews are subjective so ultimately, what you get is somebody's viewpoint that a game is good, bad, or somewhere in between.

Even if the kind of soft bias I referred to was overtly prevalent, it's not as if people are giving shitty games stellar reviews.

And I agree with you entirely that the exact opposite can and does happen.

Like you said, it probably all balances out in the end. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom