• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullshit. If that was true that game would've won GAF's 2011 GOTY Award and it didnt. I still cant believe that that game got a 10 in many places. It stands for everything opposite to what BotW ended up doing that made it such a critical and commercial success to the likes SS never had a chance.

2011 had a lot of REALLY good games like Portal 2 and Dark Souls. That doesn't make Skyward Sword not a great game. I'd play SS ten times over before touching BotW again. If BotW loses out to Odyssey or Persona 5 or some other game, that doesn't mean it's not a great game either.

It was extremely tedious though. I struggled to finish the game, it's definitely a weak entry and should no way get 10s.

I don't read reviews for flagship Nintendo games, especially Mario, what's the point I know it's going to be great.

See, but I could, and many others have, said this exact thing about BotW. It's a matter of opinion.

We both agree on this, mate. The backtracking quests near the end game were shit, I didn't like those at all.

However I still loved the overall experience in the end, these quest were not enjoyable, but didn't deter my opinion on the game. I felt fulfilled at the credits. :)

I thought the very end of the game was one of the best. The lead up to the final battle, and then the actual final battle itself. Lots of top level decisions in a Zelda game. Still, it fell to mid / low 9s for me, especially in retrospect. And compared to BOTW, well, yeah. That's that.

ghibli99

LittleBigPlanet sticks out like a sore thumb
Not as much as Rock Band 3. LBP might have had polarizing gameplay, but the creativity shown (I think the Gradius re-creation still stands as one of the most impressive things) really made it stand out. For me personally, LBP was around an 8, but I could easily see how it'd be a 10 for a good chunk of players. RB3 was just kinda iterative, but not definitive. I actually thought the Beatles one was more creative, fun, and cohesive.

Toni

Two perfect games from Nintendo in one year, but Gaf's GOTY will still be Horizon. BotW and Odyssey will split the votes of Nintendo gamers but rest will vote for Horizon. No idea what PC crowd could crown as GOTY.

As a person who played both (Zelda & Horizon): Horizon is not even on my current top 10 2017 list.

And deservedly so.

It nailed a crapton of things right. A groundbreaking new Ip that openened doors and shattered barriers that stood in the way of female enpowerment.

Its also got the best story and gameplay in my opinion this year, by quite far.

It will be refreshing to see it win over another Mario and another Zelda. Whose both are established franchise that have been going on since more than 15 years.

Its important that Horizon wins as many GOTY as possible.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Bullshit. If that was true that game would've won GAF's 2011 GOTY Award and it didnt. I still cant believe that that game got a 10 in many places. It stands for everything opposite to what BotW ended up doing that made it such a critical and commercial success to the likes SS never had a chance.

GAF was wrong, which it's not like it never happens. SS remains an incredible game deserving of all the praise it got, the complaints I read on this board were laughable, to say the least. Our opinions certainly differ and there's nothing wrong with that

Appeal to the mass everywhere

Who the hell cares about GAF goty, according to them a bunch of great games would be trash. 2011 was a very stacked year anyways, it's not surprising that a Zelda wouldn't unanimously win awards.

It got a lot of 10s because it was a very well made game with amazing levels. The problems fans had were that it didn't have an interconnected world like other games in the series did. It also didn't sell that well because it was a game that required an add-on/released while the Wii wasn't as popular. BOTW is a game that came out during the right time: launch of a new console, Zelda fans felt like playing a more open game, open world games in general started getting stale because almost no one makes them well.

I don't always agree with Edge but looking at their 10s the Mario and Zelda games that got perfect scores are all great even if they aren't your favorites. That's why I wouldn't worry about Odyssey getting 10s. Reviews aren't everything but notice how 3D World doesn't have as much perfect scores than 64/Galaxy? That's because that game ain't shit in ways that are way more blatant than the issues people love to overblow in SS/MGS4/etc.

Mafro

I love it when people on here try and point to Skyward Sword's 10/10 to try and discredit Edge scores as if that game was absolutely terrible or something.

Can't wait for the review thread.

And deservedly so.

It nailed a crapton of things right. A groundbreaking new Ip that openened doors and shattered barriers that stood in the way of female enpowerment.

It will be refreshing to see it win over another Mario and another Zelda. Whose both are established franchise that have been going on since more than 15 years.

You come into a lot of BoTW (in this case Mario) threads and seem to be hurt about it's reception being greater than Horizon's.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
GTA IV being a 10/10 makes exactly as much sense as Gran Turismo or the original Half-Life having perfect scores. Even if they haven't aged well, their importance in the moment can't be overstated. It was a generation-pushing game, aiming to be something beyond the present capabilities of the medium. Even if it hasn't aged well, reviews rewarded that ambition. IV marked Rockstar taking a crack at telling complex character-driven drama within the GTA structure. They made mistakes along the way, but they were in uncharted territory. You don't get to Red Dead Redemption without the lessons learned by making GTA IV.

Great post.

What’s the Mario Odyssey file size? I really wish I’d bought everything digital on Switch as I’ll never sell BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2 or Mario x Rabbids and the carts are a pain to swap.

Can anyone explain what Rock Band 3 done so well?

boiled goose

good with gravy
In the shadow of BOTW, few Zelda games survive. Zelda 1, LTTP, OOT / Majora, Wind Waker are the only ones that even come close to surviving IMO.

Wind waker outside of charming art is a garbage tier zelda from a game and level design standpoint.

I'm gonna write a pretty in depth lttp thread soon for ww hd.

GAF was wrong, which it's not like it never happens. SS remains an incredible game deserving of all the praise it got, the complaints I read on this board were laughable, to say the least. Our opinions certainly differ and there's nothing wrong with that

Yup. EDGE >>>>>>>GAF when it comes to game review accuracy.

balohna

Two perfect games from Nintendo in one year, but Gaf's GOTY will still be Horizon. BotW and Odyssey will split the votes of Nintendo gamers but rest will vote for Horizon. No idea what PC crowd could crown as GOTY.

As a person who played both (Zelda & Horizon): Horizon is not even on my current top 10 2017 list.
"Nintendo gamers" don't like... Not play other platforms. So it's not like you can only assume everyone that voted for PS4 games last year will call Horizon their GOTY. My GOTY list last year had almost nothing from Nintendo on it, but right now BOTW is firmly #1 for me and Odyssey looks like a contender. I say one of those two takes it, especially with ranked votes. They might even be 1 and 2.

And deservedly so.

Was it actaually fun, though? In my opinion it looks like every generic AAA game nowadays–female protagonist, or not. In my opinion, GOTY should go to games that are actually the biggest fun that year, not whatever game follows whatever movement someone is big on.

Why do people keep insisting Nintendo votes will be split and won’t win GOTY? Nintendo fans will vote for both anyway and the numbers will add up

DMONKUMA

Was it actaually fun, though? In my opinion it looks like every generic AAA game nowadays–female protagonist, or not. In my opinion, GOTY should go to games that are actually the biggest fun that year, not whatever game follows whatever movement someone is big on.

I’d say it’s fun. But your ymmv just like every game.

Horizon is an honorable mention for me but far from goty. For me right now zelda is in that top spot with nier trailing behind it. Re7, night in the woods, and edith finch are on there somewhere to.

Mafro

I dropped it as soon as Breath of the Wild came out and haven't gone back since. I don't think they could have released it at a worst possible time for me.

Freeman76

And deservedly so.

Groundbreaking? Pahahaha wtf are you smoking? It copied just about every other open world game before it. Zero originality.

Anecdotally, most people I've spoken to loved Horizon but cooled on it a little after getting far into the game. Zelda on the other hand I've not heard anyone say they'd had enough of.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

Horizon won’t win Gaf’s game of the year. It will be lucky to come third because there’s a TON of Nintendo fans on here aswell as new converts because of Switch. Not that it means it’s a bad game or anything. I actually bought it in the PSN sale earlier this week and I’m looking forward to starting it this weekend.

Anecdotally, most people I've spoken to loved Horizon but cooled on it a little after getting far into the game. Zelda on the other hand I've not heard anyone say they'd had enough of.

Complete opposite for me. Most people loved it the more they played it. My brother cooled on Zelda near the end.

YMMV. I think I'll end up loving the crap out of it once I get a Switch, but my first purchase will likely be Mario Odyssey.

balohna

I burned myself out on hunting for items for armour upgrades and shrines, but it was a hell of a ride up until the last 10% or so.

Gaenor

Banned
Groundbreaking? Pahahaha wtf are you smoking? It copied just about every other open world game before it. Zero originality.

The guy you're responding to praises the shit out of that game in any thread he can. I think it's his GOTG (if not his GOAT), so he loves it very much. But there's nothing wrong with that, we all have a game that's above all else in our heart.

Edit: On topic, I have already accepted the fact that Odyssey will most likely be my GOTY. I've enjoyed every single video I've seen of it.

goonergaz

I had lot's of fun with it thanks.

BTW, surely the fact that there are 10x PS4 users is probably more likely the reason Nintendo won't with GoTY

It was fun, certainly more than Breath of the Wild. But I'm in the minority of people who didn't like it, despite being a huge Zelda fan. Horizon absolutely deserves to be mentioned in the GotY conversation. And I say that as someone who avoids most modern open world games like the plague.

Horizon won't win Gaf's game of the year. It will be lucky to come third because there's a TON of Nintendo fans on here aswell as new converts because of Switch. Not that it means it's a bad game or anything. I actually bought it in the PSN sale earlier this week and I'm looking forward to starting it this weekend.

I thought Horizon was bland and a bit disappointing.
The battle system just wasn't fun.

I think I'm just tired of AAA open world games. The gameplay is always a bit clunky.
I prefer my games to have the emphasis on gameplay first -- and I think that's why Nintendo, From Software, and a lot of indie studios continue to make the best games.

LotusHD

Banned

cringe.gif

You come into a lot of BoTW (in this case Mario) threads and seem to be hurt about it's reception being greater than Horizon's.

Yeah it's honestly getting sad at this point. Their overwhelming enthusiasm for that game was cute and endearing when I first saw it in a thread about Horizon specifically but now they're here banging the drums about it getting "as many GOTYs as possible"... in a thread about one review for Super Mario Odyssey.

And yet it's those darn blast it Nintendo fanboys who are the only ones stirring up this in Horizon threads of course, never the other way around...

And deservedly so.

Toni is xviper's only real competition. Hard to say who'll win the Shitpost Olympics this year, but it's clear who's ahead of the pack!

(For those wondering, this guy is a pile of shitposts)

Not as much as Rock Band 3. LBP might have had polarizing gameplay, but the creativity shown (I think the Gradius re-creation still stands as one of the most impressive things) really made it stand out. For me personally, LBP was around an 8, but I could easily see how it'd be a 10 for a good chunk of players. RB3 was just kinda iterative, but not definitive. I actually thought the Beatles one was more creative, fun, and cohesive.
RB3 strikes me as the case of rewarding perfection. Everything in the game had been done before, but 3 marked the golden moment where the soundtrack was top-notch, plenty of DLC songs were hitting shelves, and the new features & instruments were sincerely interesting. It's the best version of the best party game ever made - it absolutely deserves a perfect score.

I burned myself out on hunting for items for armour upgrades and shrines, but it was a hell of a ride up until the last 10% or so.

Good to know. It's still on my backlog. I've deliberately held back on it because I didn't want my enjoyment to be clouded by playing it coming off of the high of BOTW.

Assanova

This is why I haven't picked it up yet. it just looked generic to me, and once I learned that it had crafting, it was a definite "nope". I absolutely hate crafting in games. Mario is always special though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom