• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Features
Interviews with Motokura, Yabuki, Nogami, Fujibayasha of Nintendo [Nathan Brown]
Story on the new Derek Yu, Jon Perry game [Chris Schilling]
An audience with... Robin Hunicke [Jen Simpkins]
The making of Stardew Valley [Chris Schilling]
Time Extend: Life is Strange [Jen Simpkins]

Previewed
The Crew
Frostpunk
Fe
Gwent: The Witcher card game
Super Meatboy Forever

Reviewed
No, this is the full list of scores.

Mario - 10
Destiny 2 - 8
Absolver - 8
Marvel v Capcom - 6
Steamworld Dig 2 - 8
Project Cars 2 - 8
Divinty: Original Sin 2 - 9
Starfox 2 -5
Metroid Samus Returns - 6

subscription info / scores archive

next month's teaser is a big red dot so it's either something about Japan or a cool spot remaster.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
He doesn't like that each "themed" mario world/stage/level (like shifting sand land in mario 64 or the asia-themed stage in mario land for gameboy) has it's own fitting music.
you know, like shifting sand land has pharao'ish music and the asia stage in Mario land has that "typical chinese-restaurant background music"(quote).

He also keeps saying that Nintendo is basicly the Krusty of videogames. unfunny and stuck in the past with small well-dosed portions of mild racism here and there.

and yes, my friend doesn't seem to understand the difference between stereotyping(if it's even that) and actual racism.
smh

Reminded me of this:

MP2RQD.png

J@hranimo

Banned
Damn, those Edge features sound really great. Hype rising...!

Wow, can't believe we're going to get 2 generation defining games the same year.
Sounds like SMO might best even SMG and SMG2.

As great as those games are, that's not too hard to do going back to this SM64/Sunshine format.

KooopaKid

Banned
They're actually very slightly critical of the SMG games in the post-script article regarding the way the level design in SMG drags you along from sphere to sphere with barely any scope for exploration or alternate paths etc. They're certainly not calling the two games bad (they both got a 10 after all) and acknowledge that it's just a difference in approach, but you can definitely feel that they're pleased with a return to the sandbox style at this point in the series.

Oh nice, in which edition can I read this post-script article?

cantona222

Mario is now officially the longest running video game franchise with consistent high quality and critical acclaim. Impressive.

ubiblu

Full EDGE review is up on the most relevant subbreddit to the Nintendo Switch.

Post-game sounds like it could be goooood.

Majora

Oh nice, in which edition can I read this post-script article?

It's in the issue that just came out today. They have the review, then they have a post-script article directly after it. I'm pretty sure I also saw an interview with the game director somewhere in the magazine but I've not had chance to read it yet.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Mario is now officially the longest running video game franchise with consistent high quality and critical acclaim. Impressive.

Has it ever been not that way? I mean, I am under the impression that a vast majority would answer "Mario" if they were to be asked about which longest running game franchise has the most consistent level of quality.

Widge

Amazing.
All those people outraged of such a simple, non-aggressive statement.

Well. It is a bit of a mix. You've got a bunch of people who are nicely saying "oh no, this is a wonderful way to see my culture, I love it!", and then you've got the "WAH SJW BULLSHIT" idiots mixed in. The lack of a filter on social media is its blessing and curse alike.

The_Lump

Banned
Sounds incredible. I'm so pumped for this, perhaps even as much as I was for Zelda.

Seems they've nailed the HD Rumble too, which is nice to hear :)

Mark1

Caved in and preordered. I had little doubt that the game would be nothing short of fantastic - especially following the initial trailer. Was the most impressive game from the Switch event.

Nintendo knew this - and decided to have a whole E3 dedicated to it. Everything from that just further showed how good this game looks and how much confidence they have in it. Just like Zelda.

Nintendo feels like it’s on roids this year. They’ve been on a roll.

m00h

Banned
I'm more excited for this game than I was for Zelda. And I'm afraid of that, I try to keep my expecations lovv to be overwhelmed by that game and get an orgasm by playing it, but it's not easy at all I have to admit.

XaosWolf

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Another feather in Nintendo's Cappy

Can't wait. This is one of the few times I've gone on media blackout. And on topic: If Sunshine is considered the low point in the series and its still damn good then 10/10 scores aren't exactly a stretch for Mario from any outlet.

BasilZero

Damn!!

I...dont want to buy a Switch just yet.(plan to buy it next year)...but so many reasons to get one right now....D:

(For one game lol)

KooopaKid

Banned
It's in the issue that just came out today. They have the review, then they have a post-script article directly after it. I'm pretty sure I also saw an interview with the game director somewhere in the magazine but I've not had chance to read it yet.

Cool, I have to read that.

Alastor3

No, this is the full list of scores.

Mario - 10
Destiny 2 - 8
Absolver - 8
Marvel v Capcom - 6
Steamworld Dig 2 - 8
Project Cars 2 - 8
Divinty: Original Sin 2 - 9
Starfox 2 -5
Metroid Samus Returns - 6

Do they have a score for Mario and luigi superstar remake?

So they gave Samus Returns a 6 outta 10, while they let Other M get away with an 8 back in 2010? That's a way worse sin than anything related to Zelda lol.

Mohonky

Kind of not surprised, Nintendo have been on fire with mainline releases on consoles since the Wii U. Its also basically a follow up to Super Mario Galaxy so......

Kind of not surprised, Nintendo have been on fire with mainline releases on consoles since the Wii U. Its also basically a follow up to Super Mario Galaxy so......

Technically it's a follow up to Mario 64/Sunshine, in Nintendo's eyes. If anything, 3D Land and World were the sucessors to the Galaxy duology. As told by The Chart™.

3D_Mario_Infograph.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom