• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the open ended nature makes me nervous. I see a hub full of things to do, and I don’t neccesarily think “BotW style freedom”, the first thing that comes to mind is actually the Lego games.

I expect way better from Nintendo of course, but I just hope the individual challenges are engaging and not just busywork.

I can’t wait to play on the 27th either way!

There is no hub world, every world we've seen is a full level more akin to the worlds in Mario 64.

Looking forward to seeing what reviewer will get the angry GAF mob on him/her because they thought the game was an 8. Because we all already know it's gonna happen.

I wish I was gonna be able to play this game, but I'm not buying a console for 2-3 games no matter how good they are. =/

There are a hell of a lot of fantastic Switch games (mostly exclusives too) so far, depending on your tastes. I'd say BotW, Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, Golf Story and this are all must plays for the majority of gamers.

Not this week and not next week.

So... this weekend!

KodaRuss

Damn, this is so exciting. Cant wait to boot this game up.

I am going to check out the State Fair of Texas next Wednesday and they are supposed to have a Mario/Nintendo trailer there.

Really just want to get a picture of my son with mario.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
I remember an issue Edge did in the early 2000's with Mario's mug on the front, and I think the tag line was 'Mario: Still super?'. Well, here we are - can't wait for this game.

We're approaching 2000 posts based on this one review. I was going to say it's the calm before the storm but the storm has already arrived. I'm always amazed how much attention these reviews get. I'm even more surprised by how many people manage to disagree with them without even playing the game.

Neoweee

So it sounds like there's 3~4 unrevealed kingdoms so far, to hit that approximate moon count assuming the counts we've seen in two existing worlds hold steady? Or the tutorial areas become full-scale stages later in the game, and there's only 1 or 2 unannounced worlds?

We're approaching 2000 posts based on this one review. I was going to say it's the calm before the storm but the storm has already arrived. I'm always amazed how much attention these reviews get. I'm even more surprised by how many people manage to disagree with them without even playing the game.
MtZ9N.gif

Peltz

Now that would be something.

From a game design standpoint, Botw is such a monumental advancement compared to ww, tp, and ss that Metroid achieving something on that level would be spectacular.

The issues with Metroid are not as severe as with Zelda though. Metroid has mostly stuck to the very successful Super Metroid formula. The slight deviations from it being Prime 3, Fusion, and other M. All of them feel inferior in overall design, with more linear, segmented play.

Mario went from pure platforming to adding exploration in 2d to sandbox in 3d to more pure platforming in 3d. Oddessy seems to be a return to the 3d sandbox, so I'm curious how they've modernized it.

Botws design is more obvious. It's a modern take of the original ideas of non linearity, challenge, adventoruous exploration. 3d Zeldas had devolved into overly linear, tutorial heavy, awful messed focusing only on sequential puzzle solving. The Botw innovations are its interconnected gameplay systems and complete open traversal that lead to open, emergent gameplay.

So... Where can metroid really go? I think it has to be somewhere pretty different. Taking inspiration from horror and games like dark souls I think is a great starting point. Really push the isolationn, immersion, claustrophobia of diving deep underground hunting dangerous alien life forms. Along the way you discover havens of old chozo ruins and tech that empower you. Dunno.

Botw was almost exactly what I wanted zelda to be from a big picture game design standpoint. However I don't know what I want metroid to be... unlike zelda, the prototypical formula has already been nicely done in 3d.

Metroid Prime 4 should keep the structure of Metroid but push the combat and difficulty harder like Souls game. Keep it 60fps and keep the feel of the original Metroid Prime, but make the art style more H.R. Giger-inspired (like Super Metroid was) and inject some horror into it.

Davey Cakes

A few choice quotes.
Honestly, quotes like "Odyssey is the reinvention of the sandbox platformer we've been waiting for since 2002" seem like bait.

Not everybody has been raging for a follow-up to Sunshine, or even other platformers from that era (Jack & Daxter, Psychonauts, Rayman 3). If anything, Super Mario Galaxy was so refreshing that it made people almost want to forget games like Sunshine. In 2007 we got a 3D platforming game that was slightly more streamlined in its design, but even more wondrous than anything we could've possibly imagined at the time.

Something more appropriate to say would be "it's the re-visiting of the natural, free-roaming platforming gameplay that we've been hankering for since we got our fill of the Galaxy formula in 2010, now re-invented for today's audiences."

So it sounds like there's 3~4 kingdoms so far, to hit that approximate moon count assuming the counts we've seen in two existing worlds hold steady? Or the tutorial areas become full-scale stages later in the game, and there's only 1 or 2 unannounced worlds?

Huh? There are 10 kingdoms that we know of so far, and we know that the Sand Kingdom has 69 moons. It's possible the counts will be different for different kingdoms and there are definitely kingdoms we don't know about yet.

WestEgg

There are a hell of a lot of fantastic Switch games (mostly exclusives too) so far, depending on your tastes. I'd say BotW, Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, Golf Story and this are all must plays for the majority of gamers. !

The Switch could get a port of every game ever made and Half Life 3 exclusively and people will still claim it only has 2-3 games worth owning

MisterR

The Switch could get a port of every game ever made and Half Life 3 exclusively and people will still claim it only has 2-3 games worth owning

Don't be so defensive. The Switch has definitely been worth it for me, but for some people, it's basically Mario, Zelda and a bunch of indy games that are on other platforms. Most folks aren't going to buy a console for Golf Story, no matter how cool it looks. I think the Switch has been great so far, but I can see why others would have a different opinion.

Honestly, quotes like "Odyssey is the reinvention of the sandbox platformer we've been waiting for since 2002" seem like bait.

Not everybody has been raging for a follow-up to Sunshine, or even other platformers from that era (Jack & Daxter, Psychonauts, Rayman 3). If anything, Super Mario Galaxy was so refreshing that it made people almost want to forget games like Sunshine. In 2007 we got a 3D platforming game that was slightly more streamlined in its design, but even more wondrous than anything we could've possibly imagined at the time.

Something more appropriate to say would be "it's the re-visiting of the natural, free-roaming platforming gameplay that we've been hankering for since we got our fill of the Galaxy formula in 2010, now re-invented for today's audiences."

EDGE adores the Galaxy games, so I don't think their intent was to take anything away from those titles. They weren't sandbox games though and it's great to finally have a new spin on that type of 3D platformer again.

Ridley327

EDGE adores the Galaxy games, so I don't think their intent was to take anything away from those titles. They weren't sandbox platformers though and it's great to finally have a new spin on that type of 3D platformer again.

Yeah, I get the feeling it's more to highlight how underwhelming a follow-up to 64 that Sunshine turned out to be. Super limited settings for the levels due to the theme, removing a lot of the sandbox design from locking players into a single shine when selected (you can't stumble upon another one by accident beyond the 100-coin stars), and having to pad the fact that there's not much unique content in the game compared to 64 with the blue coins just to equal the amount of stars. They had so much more technology available to them on the Gamecube, and beyond the graphics, it never felt like it was being used to evolve that formula, like we're seeing with Odyssey.

Now that would be something.

From a game design standpoint, Botw is such a monumental advancement compared to ww, tp, and ss that Metroid achieving something on that level would be spectacular.

The issues with Metroid are not as severe as with Zelda though. Metroid has mostly stuck to the very successful Super Metroid formula. The slight deviations from it being Prime 3, Fusion, and other M. All of them feel inferior in overall design, with more linear, segmented play.

Mario went from pure platforming to adding exploration in 2d to sandbox in 3d to more pure platforming in 3d. Oddessy seems to be a return to the 3d sandbox, so I'm curious how they've modernized it.

Botws design is more obvious. It's a modern take of the original ideas of non linearity, challenge, adventoruous exploration. 3d Zeldas had devolved into overly linear, tutorial heavy, awful messed focusing only on sequential puzzle solving. The Botw innovations are its interconnected gameplay systems and complete open traversal that lead to open, emergent gameplay.

So... Where can metroid really go? I think it has to be somewhere pretty different. Taking inspiration from horror and games like dark souls I think is a great starting point. Really push the isolationn, immersion, claustrophobia of diving deep underground hunting dangerous alien life forms. Along the way you discover havens of old chozo ruins and tech that empower you. Dunno.

Botw was almost exactly what I wanted zelda to be from a big picture game design standpoint. However I don't know what I want metroid to be... unlike zelda, the prototypical formula has already been nicely done in 3d.

You know it’s odd, but I think Metroid could take a lot from Doom 2016. Keep the exploration but make the combat fast paced, keep the melee counter from Samus Returns and make the fighting more physical. Overall though I think you are right, sticking to the formula of Prime 1 and Super Metroid has been successful and I’m not sure how they could structurally improve the series.

Maybe a new mechanic can change environmental interaction or they can use a physics system similar to BOTW.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car

I disagree with this hard. I've been waiting for a follow-up to Sunshine, and Galaxy did not satisfy that void. EDGE's description sounds much more succinct and makes me much more excited than thinking about Galaxy.

Davey Cakes

I'm ready. Can't wait. Nothing in gaming can match a great Mario game.
Right? With so many games to play today, I always wonder "do I really need to play the newest 3D Mario game right away? I have this huge back log and I'm not REALLY hankering for this genre right now."

Galaxy was obviously a huge deal, but I didn't expect Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and 3D World to completely suck me away from my other games like they did. Honestly, there's just something magical about EAD's (and now EPD's) games that make them hard to resist and hard to put down.

Even if I wasn't ready for Odyssey (or didn't think I was ready for it), I bet the game would have me hook, line, and sinker after a half an hour.

Neoweee

Huh? There are 10 kingdoms that we know of so far, and we know that the Sand Kingdom has 69 moons. It's possible the counts will be different for different kingdoms and there are definitely kingdoms we don't know about yet.

We don't know if
Cap Kingdom or Mushroom Kingdom
actually have moons or not, or if the
lava area
is an actual kingdom with moons, or just a Bowser/boss level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom