• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

Astral Dog

Are you attempting to throw shade by linking that video, because it's not working
why? i genuinely think Odyssey looks far better than 3D World (wich didn't looked a generational leap above Galaxy imo) and with a bigger,explorable world too.
The video was shown 5 months before 3D World launched too.
This is the next step for Mario and it looks amazing 😆

why? i genuinely think Odyssey looks far better than 3D World (wich didn't looked a generational leap above Galaxy imo) and with a bigger,explorable world too.
The video was shown 5 months before 3D World launched too.
This is the next step for Mario and it looks amazing 😆

It was a somewhat cheeky comment but I clicked the link assuming it was meant to be unflattering and it just reminded me of how awesome 3D World was :p

I'm excited for the direction of this game and this is the exact direction I wanted to see form a new Mario game, but not at slight of 3D World imo

Aldric

Already 9 million views for Odyssey's trailer, this will probably beat BotW reveal trailer quite soon as the most viewed video on Nintendo's channel. Compare it to 3D World's original trailer too. Man this reveal sucked.

Roo

Very surprised how many people think this game will be content anemic...SM3DW has like 35 secret levels. They've also been developing SMO since what, late 2013?

Some of you seem to forget Captain Toad exists. A game that required a big chunk of the 3D World staff.

SMO most likely didn't enter full production until late 2014 at the earliest.

edit: considering the scale this game and the fact that it is pretty much done, it certainly speaks volumes how well organized the team was after the merge/restructuring.

Soodanim

I can't seem to get over the premise of this. Mario in the real world sounds like a concept you'd see in an advert promoting McDonald's toys. It also reminds me of the live action Mario movie we all love so much. And I'm sure I saw someone say Sonic 2006. That's never a comparison you want made to your game.

I can't seem to get over the premise of this. Mario in the real world sounds like a concept you'd see in an advert promoting McDonald's toys. It also reminds me of the live action Mario movie we all love so much. And I'm sure I saw someone say Sonic 2006. That's never a comparison you want made to your game.

It's also a comparison no sensible person would make. If you honestly think this game will be anything like Sonic 2006 you've lost your damn mind

Nothing about captain toad screams "resource intensive". Most of its assets and music were repurposed from 3D World. They've gone on record saying development for the next 3D mario is underway back in April 2014. They've had quite a bit of time, and now another 6+ months

Don't worry about a lack of polished content.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/08/22/spaceworld-2001-mario-sunshine-impressions

IGN said:
The environment -- the one previewed [in Super Mario Sunshine], was not at all like what one might expect coming out of Super Mario 64. Instead of bright green pastures and castle backdrops, Mario manipulated what can best be described as a city and suburbia -- a setting much more fitting for a Sonic Adventure.

You just can't win with people.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

are people seriously thinking Odyssey is just set on that one world lol

Soodanim

It's also a comparison no sensible person would make. If you honestly think this game will be anything like Sonic 2006 you've lost your damn mind
Well obviously the gameplay/story isn't going to be anything like it, that should go without saying. But the jarring mixture of Mario and real world can have that comparison. I'll probably think differently once I play it for myself, but from the reveal trailer it seems odd.

It's one level of many, and it's cool.
I didn't know that, thanks.

Roo

Nothing about captain toad screams "resource intensive". Most of its assets and music were repurposed from 3D World. They've gone on record saying development for the next 3D mario is underway back in April 2014. They've had quite a bit of time, and now another 6+ months

Don't worry about a lack of polished content.
Don't get me wrong, I know Captain Toad isn't a demanding game by any means but considering the game was finished in less than a year I was just pointing out that most of the (then) EAD team was busy with it to get it done quickly.

I know the quality and polish for SMO will be there. They have yet to make a bad Mario game and they certainly won't start with their first sandbox Mario game in 15 years.

chrixter

Found something interesting. I was reading Iwata Asks: Super Mario Galaxy 2 in which the team talks about how they initially wanted SMG2's hook to be "switching" to differentiate it from the original, but ultimately they found it to be too challenging at the time so the concept was dropped, save for a few ideas. The relevant excerpt:

Iwata: When I saw Super Mario Galaxy 2, I felt like it was really packed full of fun ideas. It was crammed full ever since the early stages of development, but what kind of a process did you go through to achieve that?

Hayashida: Since we were making a full-fledged sequel, we couldn't just have a new character show up. We needed something to serve as a completely new axis for the game to revolve around. At first, that was the concept of "more," but later we focused on the concept of "switching."

Iwata: What's "switching"?

Hayashida: That's when you do something like push a button, the surrounding world suddenly changes.

Iwata: Oh, I see. The button changes the environment—and not just a little, but in a big, dynamic way.

Hayashida: Right.

Iwata: Why did you decide on that?

Hayakawa: I thought we needed something that would make a significantly different impression than the first game. At first, when we had the idea of using the engine from the first game as a foundation, I think everyone thought of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Koizumi: When we made The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask after The Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time, we adopted the "three-day system."11 That's a system that suddenly changes the game world.

Iwata: Oh, so for Super Mario Galaxy 2 as well, you tried to think of a system whereby you could change the whole game world.

Hayashida: Right. But when we actually tried to do it, it was hard and just wouldn't come together.

Koizumi: I knew from all the trouble we had with the Zelda series that you have to get all the various elements to fit. Sometimes you have to give up on things you've made up to that point.

Iwata: You lose a lot a lot of different things.

Koizumi: I was afraid of that, so I decided we shouldn't get too hung up on creating a new axis for the whole game to revolve around and I told Hayashida-san that all we needed to do was dedicate ourselves to making interesting contents.

Hayashida: That's right. Making Mario games has always been about conducting experimental developments for what can possibly be fun ideas, throwing out what doesn't work, and tying together what's left over. Koizumi-san and Miyamoto-san told me that, so I decided to change my policy and, instead of getting hung up on the concept of "switching," to just make something fun.

Iwata: Is anything leftover in the game from when you were focused on "switching"?

Hayashida: It appears in a number of elements. As for the overall image suddenly changing, there's the stage with panels that flip from red to blue and back. And then there's the "slow effect." You jump on a button and the whole scene shifts into slow motion. And there's also blocks that change at timed intervals. Those are ideas we thought of during the "switching" phase.

Gotta wonder if the Switch made them reevaluate the switching concept. It sounds like they had ambitious ideas for it. Based on the footage below of Odyssey from last October, there was some speculation that Mario might be able to do something to "switch" those conspicuously transparent environmental elements into existence (assuming they aren't serving another purpose or aren't just there for aesthetics). Sounds like it'd fit with the concept of switching the game world. And with larger, sandbox-type levels, such a mechanic could be pushed to produce more profound effects than in a game with linear, focused levels.

Lwyvtrt.gif

Dunno. I feel like if switching was the basis for the game, they would've gone with the more obvious title and we would've seen or heard something about it in the recent Switch presentation. But it's a cool concept to consider.

Neper

Neo Member
I just hope that Nintendo uses this 2017 to polish those human NPCs of New Donk City in Mario Odyssey further... heck, I think they should re-model them altogether.

I just hope that Nintendo uses this 2017 to polish those human NPCs of New Donk City in Mario Odyssey further... heck, I think they should re-model them altogether.
Agreed. Don't polish them. Re-model them. Make them more cartoony. I always thought of Mario as a real human being just being drawn and animated in a cartoony art style. The realistic Odyssey humans shatter everything.

Scoops

Banned
I disagree, I loved the way the humans looked in the trailer.

Kind of has a whole fantasy-world meets real-world vibe.

In case you all didn't realize, the Mario world is a fantasy one. ;)

Neper

Neo Member
Agreed. Don't polish them. Re-model them. Make them more cartoony. I always thought of Mario as a real human being just being drawn and animated in a cartoony art style. The realistic Odyssey humans shatter everything.

They seem out of Sonic '06. And I mean straight out of that game, with the same low level of detail and clumsy animations SEGA did over a decade ago for that abomination of a game. They really don't fit in a Super Mario big installment. Mario himself seems like he's from another species, 2 completely different human beings. They should make them more cartoony and work on their animations again.

I think it could work at that level of realism, its just badly done. Looks like an attempt by someone who was trying out a digital sculpting program for the first time

Neper

Neo Member

I could agree with that, but the thing here is not just that they look a bit off, is that they look poorly executed. Not their finest character modelling, and animation could use some extra work, too.

No. Mario himself is just a guest in the fantasy world. He comes from the real world. That's why the realistic humans don't fit.

koss424

are people seriously thinking Odyssey is just set on that one world lol

These are just comments from someone that's was going to make a negative comment about anything Nintendo related and picked the first thing they saw or repeated what they heard or read. Anyone with an open mind about the game would not jump to such lengths to make a criticism.

koss424

No. Mario himself is just a guest in the fantasy world. He comes from the real world. That's why the realistic humans don't fit.
What don't you make your own game and let these game developers have their artistic expression. It obviously looks like a parody or early 2000 games set in a donkey Kong themed city island.

koss424

They seem out of Sonic '06. And I mean straight out of that game, with the same low level of detail and clumsy animations SEGA did over a decade ago for that abomination of a game. They really don't fit in a Super Mario big installment. Mario himself seems like he's from another species, 2 completely different human beings. They should make them more cartoony and work on their animations again.

Considering the rest of the assets in the game it's funny you jump to the conclusion that Nintendd wasn't able to make good graphics rather that assuming they were meant to look like that.

Neper

Neo Member
Considering the rest of the assets in the game it's funny you jump to the conclusion that Nintendd wasn't able to make good graphics rather that assuming they were meant to look like that.

Just having an opinion does not mean we're making gratuitous criticism. It's absolutely OK if you like that approach, but what if I don't? I can just post here my opinion if I want so, and should the game prove me wrong, then I'll be totally fine changing my mind. I think you're acting a bit like a kid fanboy defending a Nintendo game no matter what instead of using a more rational, analytic approach.

But you can totally like the current state of the game, of course. I'm getting Odyssey day one anyway, so...

koss424

Just having an opinion does not mean we're making gratuitous criticism. It's absolutely OK if you like that approach, but what if I don't? I can just post here my opinion if I want so, and should the game prove me wrong, then I'll be totally fine changing my mind. I think you're acting a bit like a kid fanboy defending a Nintendo game no matter what instead of using a more rational, analytic approach.

But you can totally like the current state of the game, of course. I'm getting Odyssey day one anyway, so...

I'm sorry you had to deflect to fanboyism but yor argument is that the developers weren't able to execute good graphics for the humans in that level. I'll ask again, given the rest of the assets in the game is it more reasonable to assume that they supposed to look that way for the developers vision of the game or is, as you say, just poor execution by the developers?

I've been watching this trailer once a day since announced. Feel like a kid again. More excited for this than I am for BotW. Good year to be a Nintendo fan? I think so.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Nintendo would be wise to bundle this for the holidays if they're not going to drop the price by then.

I'll buy Switch with an Odyssey bundle.

I've been watching this trailer once a day since announced. Feel like a kid again. More excited for this than I am for BotW. Good year to be a Nintendo fan? I think so.
Same! I didn't think I could get so excited for a Mario game like I did for Mario 64 but here we are. Nintendo just needed to make the sequel I expected

Some of you seem to forget Captain Toad exists. A game that required a big chunk of the 3D World staff.

SMO most likely didn't enter full production until late 2014 at the earliest.

edit: considering the scale this game and the fact that it is pretty much done, it certainly speaks volumes how well organized the team was after the merge/restructuring.

True, but I doubt more than a quarter of the team made that game. Plus it is a big team now that they probably merged some 3ds staff members in.

Raitaro

Unless the realistic humans are what is "wrong/off" with this particular world, just like the ice in the Mexican world (and possibly the abstractness in the vegetable one? Not sure what is "off" about the jungle one though).

My hunch is that in Mario's reality, humans look like him, i.e. cartoony, meaning that he in this case did not return to his original home outside the Mushroom Kingdom (i.e. Brooklyn), but with humans that look like they don't fit because Nintendo forgot Mario is human, but rather that he went to an alternate version of the same place where weird lanky humans that look like us in the 50's live. Nintendo might have called it New Donk City instead of New York City because NYC exists in Mario's reality (as filled with the Mario-style humans) and as such a new name was needed to help differentiate it.

Just speculating here of course, like before. Still seems like too big of a coincedence for the Mario team to accidentally come up with a NY style city that is not in any way tied to Mario's (older, now possibly non-canon) Brooklyn origin, unless they meant for him to go somewhere that looks familar but wrong at the same time. Maybe the story of the game will explain this?

grim-tales

I thought the same thing, and that the origin story (plumber from Brooklyn) was canon.

People thought Mario was a human being?

No realistic human plumber can jump 20 ft in the air, smash the ground with his butt and not break his tailbone, magically disappear through pipes, and increase his size through mushrooms. Also in what world can a plumber get a princess?

Yeah I thought this midget was a alien from the very beginning as a kid.....

Its gonna be fun playing Mario in the city.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I'm wondering, as I might have said before, if this is a manufactured city, and the people in it are just fakes in disguise created to resemble real humans. There's most likely a story to why things are the way they are. I mean obviously there's something going on. The city looks like NYC, but is filled with "contraband" from Mario's universe. Stuff that doesn't belong. Either this is NYC taken over and magically transformed to Bowser's vision (As King Koopa says in the Super Mario Bros movie when the dimensions merge together, "My world!!!") or it's all fake made to fool Mario. But the question is why things are named after stuff in DK and Mario games. Obviously something is going on. And we'll probably find out much more at E3 if not earlier.

I can't believe no one here talks about that Chef Koopa throwing frying pans at 1:13. That is hilarious.
Plenty of people pointed it out in this thread and other Mario threads. And it is really neat. I love that little touch of customizing the enemies to match the environment.

Cerium

I'm wondering, as I might have said before, if this is a manufactured city, and the people in it are just fakes in disguise created to resemble real humans. There's most likely a story to why things are the way they are. I mean obviously there's something going on. The city looks like NYC, but is filled with "contraband" from Mario's universe. Stuff that doesn't belong. Either this is NYC taken over and magically transformed to Bowser's vision (As King Koopa says in the Super Mario Bros movie when the dimensions merge together, "My world!!!") or it's all fake made to fool Mario. But the question is why things are named after stuff in DK and Mario games. Obviously something is going on. And we'll probably find out much more at E3 if not earlier.

I wouldn't overthink the lore. It's clearly a King Kong style tribute to the early Donkey Kong games which were set in a place called Big City. The humans are all dressed like that period of time. We never knew who actually lived in that city; apparently they were just people.

Pauline, Mario's girlfriend from that period:

73001c49f4263b0fa56841e5c0653747.jpg

Vampfox

Banned
I don't like it. The city and people look out of place. I also don't like that it looks like they're moving away from the 3D Land/World style and going with more of an open world type of game.

Mario is about getting to the end of the level not exploring an open world.

I don't like it. The city and people look out of place. I also don't like that it looks like they're moving away from the 3D Land/World style and going with more of an open world type of game.

Except for Mario 64 and Sunshine where it was exactly that

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

It's clear that they are stating that Mario games can be about open world design and also games with tight linear platforming.

This doesn't mean you won't get a SM3DW 2 ever.

The city is one world.

Lynd7

Nintendo has progressed the linear Mario for ten years and it feels like they don't really have any new ground to cover in that direction anymore.

Going back and giving some attention and progress to the Mario 64 style makes sense.

Top Bottom