• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

sanstesy

There's a magic rabbit inside Mario's cap. This explains the rabbit sized door on the hat ship.

sKsJGLa.png

My mind was so blown by this that I almost made a new thread.

Nice find.

I've watched this trailer 3 times in the last few days. It looks mindblowing. I really enjoyed Mario 3D World but this looks to be way more up my alley. They are really throwing the kitchen sink at this one and I mean that in the best way possible!

Galang

Banned
There's a magic rabbit inside Mario's cap. This explains the rabbit sized door on the hat ship.

sKsJGLa.png

Oh that's cool! Also just noticed the lamp in the bottom right picture is shaped like a magician's hat. They're really running with the theme which is awesome

doop_

Banned
I feel like if there was a rabbit in the cap we would have more obvious design cues and have it hinted at in the trailer. Everything is pointing to different caps being the new gameplay mechanic of the game.

Cerium

I feel like if there was a rabbit in the cap we would have more obvious design cues and have it hinted at in the trailer. Everything is pointing to different caps being the new gameplay mechanic of the game.

Or... different rabbits you defeat and trap inside your hat.

Berordn

I'm sure we'll see more caps, but playing on the idea of pulling a rabbit out of the hat, on top of the magicians cap being a common motif in the game so far...

It makes a lot of sense.

sanstesy

I predict this game is actually gonna have a lot of lore/story for a Mario platforming game. There is too much weird stuff in there.

doop_

Banned
Or... different rabbits you defeat and trap inside your hat.
That is a little creepy, also what would be the point of Crazy Caps then. We just have to wait and see but i doubt it.

But
I'm sure we'll see more caps, but playing on the idea of pulling a rabbit out of the hat, on top of the magicians cap being a common motif in the game so far...

It makes a lot of sense.

When you say it like that...

Peltz

l think Sunshine was ill conceived from the start. l think they said something about the creative process for Sunshine being the complete opposite of what Nintendo usually does: instead of coming up with gameplay ideas first and creating a world around them, they came up with the concept of "Mario goes on a vacation in a tropical island" first and created Fludd as a consequence. lt's in an Iwata Asks but l don't remember which one.

You guys make it seem like Sunshine was garbage just because it was different and not as good as the other 3D Marios.

There is a very very good game there if you give it a chance. Not every 3D Mario can be a GOAT contender (although the rest of them kind of are). But it had a lot of amazing ideas and some very fun gameplay.

If any other brand were associated with it other than Mario, it'd be considered 3D platforming royalty along with the Mario franchise and Banjo Kazooie.

So much wrong in one post.
The tall one in particular is baller like Waluigi.

He's right though, they look like rabbits that were fused with scary clowns. I can't stand to look at them. Them being rabbits is just another random jarring element to a game that seems to be all over the place thematically and artistically going by the trailer.

I say this as someone hyped as fuck for an open world Mario game and will be buying this day one, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thrown by the array of different styles. And yes I know he's traveling between different dimensions.

jonno394

So much wrong in one post.
The tall one in particular is baller like Waluigi.

I've been toying with the idea that they are actually Mario characters turned in to evil rabbits since day 1, and now that you mention it..... I thought the fat one was Wario, the tall one Luigi, the girl is Peach and the green one is someone else.....lets say Toad. All shot with some magic ray gun, they missed Mario and only hit his hat, turning it in to a Rabbit Hat/

edit - Just realised Peach shows up in the trailer....facepalm.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Blue, green, orange, pink/purple, kinda suspiciously missing red among those rabbit colors. Mario's totally got the red rabbit in there.

Plum

I predict this game is actually gonna have a lot of lore/story for a Mario platforming game. There is too much weird stuff in there.

Considering Mario has lore deeper than the Mariana Trench I'd be surprised if it didn't continue the tradition to be honest.

I hadn't thought of the rabbit thing before now and now I kinda hope it's true if only because I want an allusion to the GoAT Mario box art somewhere in game now.

Oh man! Nostalgia overload!!! I hope someday they go back to the drawn art for Mario. :D Good times.

MrBadger

There's a magic rabbit inside Mario's cap. This explains the rabbit sized door on the hat ship

I reckon the rabbit is the hat. We see Bowser squish Mario's regular cap in the trailer

As much as I love everything about this game, those rabbits look fucking awful. Worse than the Koopa kids.

At this point I'm happy to see a set of Mario Bosses that aren't the Koopa kids or something else from Mario 3

tkscz

sKsJGLa.png

Man, I don't want to fight the tall one. Look how goofy he is. In fact, look at how much like Goofy he looks. I can't fight Goofy. The other three I just want to kick their asses, but not the tall one.

Oh that's cool! Also just noticed the lamp in the bottom right picture is shaped like a magician's hat. They're really running with the theme which is awesome

Look at the trailer again, the entire ship is shaped like that.

Man, I don't want to fight the tall one. Look how goofy he is. In fact, look at how much like Goofy he looks. I can't fight Goofy. The other three I just want to kick their asses, but not the tall one.

I don't know man. He looks like a gunslinger. He looks like he has a gun. He looks like he also goes to a saloon. This is a kids game and he has guns and beer that's illegal you gotta stop him.

Hermii

You do realize they are going to an open world platformer because it is something they haven't tried for a long time right, and not due to some assumed bullshit?
I thought it was because they read all those gaf posts saying 3D world wasn't a real Mario game.

Top Bottom