• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Preview Thread (9/20) Three kingdoms highlighted and MORE

I love all the references to previous Mario costumes/enemies:

3xxtng19dq3z.png

Nintendo really knows how to dig into its history.

Where are the images in the two bottom rows from?

Random question but my brother is planning to get married this fall and he was a big Mario fan. He probably still is but is just busy with life now. Would it be too nerdy to gift him and his partner the wedding amiibo set?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
now we know why the ice climbers were cut

Because the seals ate them and then attempted to assume their identities in Nintendo society? Nintendo's Little Red Riding Hood wears a cap and is named Mario.

Random question but my brother is planning to get married this fall and he was a big Mario fan. He probably still is but is just busy with life now. Would it be too nerdy to gift him and his partner the wedding amiibo set?

I think it'd be a really cute gift if he's still a Mario fan. If you two bonded over Mario when younger, it might be a great way of calling back to that. If his partner is not a nerd, I might keep this kind of gift between you two as a between brothers sort of deal (i.e. at some point outside of the ceremony). It'll also just depend on how big of a Mario fan he was/is. If you don't think his attachment to the character was a lasting strong one or if you don't have the financial means to provide another gift on top of it, then I'd suggest prioritizing something else.

I'm sure there is at least one nerdy couple who will get married in the next year and use these amiibo as cake toppers or decorations.

So how many kingdoms the game have so far that we know of?

Levels officially revealed
- New Donk City in the Metro Kingdom
- Tostarena in the Sand Kingdom
- Steam Gardens in the Wooded Kingdom
- Mount Volbono in the Luncheon Kingdom
- Bonneton in the Cap Kingdom
- Fossil Falls in the Cascade Kingdom
- Bubblaine in the Seaside Kingdom
- Shiveria in the Snow Kingdom
- An unnamed Tropical Islands Kingdom

Levels "revealed" through art, but we have no footage of them
- Lake Lamode in the Lake Kingdom (Shown in the Amiibo Box-Art)
- Peach's Castle in the Mushroom Kingdom (Shown in Amiibo Box-Art and a painting in the Luncheon Kingdom apparently leads to it)
- Possibly the Moon (Super big focus on every stage AND the world map AND the "HoneyMoon" pun, but no guarantee quite yet)
- Possibly Isle Delfino (Shown in a map of the World, but it might just be a reference)

Then there's some spec of two or three more kingdoms based on big landmasses that don't seem to contain anything quite yet, but there's no guarantee. So "officially" we have
Kingdoms so far, with spec leading people to believe we're getting 15.

Platy

Levels "revealed" through art, but we have no footage of them
- Lake Lamode in the Lake Kingdom (Shown in the Amiibo Box-Art)

This can be the unnamed Tropical Islands Kingdom

3rd line of spoilers :
- Possibly the Moon (Super big focus on every stage AND the world map AND the "HoneyMoon" pun, but no guarantee quite yet)

There are also more references like
how the main new villains are bunnies and how there is this "bunny living in the moon" thing in japan and the "all the way to the moon" on the game's theme song

This can be the unnamed Tropical Islands Kingdom

Lake Lamode? It could be, but it's very unlikely, imo - the world map clip of the direct showed that the palm tree islands are surrounded by poisonous water, which matches the Tropical Island Kingdom footage - while the Lake Kingdom was labeled as a kingdom in the mainland on the amiibo box-art, like RagnarokX highlighted below.

Whipped up a labelled version of that new map: https://i.imgur.com/2INP0Ws.jpg

Either way, we have an extra "level" name from a clip of a Sphynx Riddle -
Forgotten Isle, which is probably the name for the Tropical Islands kingdom
, so we'd still have
kingdoms all the same.

And yeah, you're right on all these other references! Totally blanked on them rn.

Platy

There is also the fact that we do have references to
64 and sunshine
so we need to
go to space and reference Galaxy...maybe even with the rocket from 3D World

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Imagine if there's a throwback to
one of the 2D games. Like Giant World, Pipe World, or Dinosaur Land

roytheone

Here's a map of the Tostarena. If all the kingdoms are a similar size then they're pretty big.

I think tostarena will be bigger than most kingdoms. There is a lot of desert there. I expect other kingdoms to be smaller but more dense with stuff.

FelipeMGM

There is also the fact that we do have references to
64 and sunshine
so we need to
go to space and reference Galaxy...maybe even with the rocket from 3D World

oh god

I've never managed expectations so poorly like Im doing with this game. Its the most excited I've ever been for a Nintendo game

Something that crossed my mind watching this wave of previews:

As we know there are classic 2D platforming sections and challenges in the levels. In the videos we see that the stages flow normally when Mario is inside the 2D dimension so some level elements can obstruct the 2D environemnt view.

Wouldn't be cool if the more complex classic 2D challenges incorporated this view obstruction into it's design, making the palyer manipulate the 3D camera to get an optimal view of the 2D level?

i can totally picture a 2D maze inside a moving stage prop, with obstacles or a boss occasionaly blocking the view, the player needs to use the right Thumbstick to operate the camera to get a better view while 2D platforming. Hopefuly designers taught about this already.

So do you guys expect a season pass for Mario Odyssey? If a season pack is announced how would you feel about it? Assuming it will contain new kingdoms.

ubiblu

So do you guys expect a season pass for Mario Odyssey? If a season pack is announced how would you feel about it? Assuming it will contain new kingdoms.

Just like Smash, Mario Kart and Zelda, I am a HUGE fan of more first-party Nintendo greatness and would buy the shit out of it.

Jedi2016

What if there's more than one location in each kingdom?

Platy

What if there's more than one location in each kingdom?

There is more than one location in the meaning that there are teleports that send you to other places, not just in a "sunshine fludless level" but more stuff like inside the inverted pyramid from the first trailer

Imagine if there's a throwback to
one of the 2D games. Like Giant World, Pipe World, or Dinosaur Land

There is a Moai that might be a trowback to Land 2 ...

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
That's a dangerous game to play with Nintendo tbh.

Given that I think they have a somewhat close relationship with Nintendo (for an independent YouTube channel), I wouldn't be surprised if they double-checked with their marketing team before posting the video. I don't think they'd want to be blacklisted, and I read a comment that said they were confident they were fine.

Neoweee

The only evidence is that there is purple coins, however they aren't present during the tutorial level.

It seems like that is a recurring theme, with doing an "Event" version of a stage with a main objective before revisiting it as a full open-world level. I thought I read that the night-time Tank stuff in New Donk is when you first get there.

It also sounds like the Mushroom Kingdom, if it is a real stage, is something you return to post-tutorial.

The only evidence is that there is purple coins, however they aren't present during the tutorial level.

There's also a Hat Door blocked by rubble and the Direct showed we could capture Paragoombas there, but we haven't seen any yet. It might not be a big kingdom either way, though.

Skronk

Banned

I'm getting married on the 31st and we got the Bowser and Peach
(I'm not going to tell her the dress looks like a dick)
ones pre ordered. I figured it would be a fun thing to have on the table at the party and stuff.

Neoweee

There's also a Hat Door blocked by rubble and the Direct showed we could capture Paragoombas there, but we haven't seen any yet. It might not be a big kingdom either way, though.

Yeah, we really know shockingly little about the parity between worlds. 64 and Sunshine both had an equal spread of their bafomdads, but we haven't seen any real sign of that for Odyssey... yet.

I'm not convinced at the inference of the kingdom order, either. Yeah, it leaves open the possibility of the palm-leaf archipelago, but kind of dismisses the main continent near the Bubbleaine peninsula, or the bat-wing part of the mega continent.

I'm hoping that with so much Mario history showing up in this game we get a Wario and/or Wart appearance.

Disclaimer: Not happening

I'd love a postgame Kingdom based on the Golden Pyramid from Wario Land 4; maybe have the man himself serve as a recurring miniboss or even let us Capture him for unique abilities!

Top Bottom