• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer (October 27th)

Also mushroom island being so small may be because is an island with a pipe portal to the mushroom kingdom that is an alternative earth with the real mushroom kingdom, yoshi island, donkey kong country, sarasaland....
Not saying they will appear in the game (pretty sure if something appears by travelling there would be peach's castle only, or some retro 64 courses), but being a pipe thats placed in that island and lets you get into the mushroom kingdom planet makes sense from a koizumi type of lore that he is trying to do here.

That would be cool and make sense, considering what we know of the Mushroom Kingdom's layout means it's way fucking bigger than that little island. I'm sure it'll be handwaved and stuff but if Nintendo actually cared about that kind of thing when it comes to Mario games, the Mushroom Kingdom and its surrounding kingdoms would need their own globe. Where is Dinosaur Island in the Odyssey map? The place where Bowser rules? Delphino Island? The sister kingdoms that the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games take place in? That can't possibly all fit on that little mushroom.

Atheerios

I'm still expecting the red bit to be a cover up for an upcoming Direct reveal. It just looks too out of place and there's a tiny bit under the underwater screenshot that wouldn't make sense being there. Now that the boxart's changed due to an official reveal I think it's much, much more likely.
I bet you that won't happen.

We now have the final boxart with the ESRB rating. It will no longer change. Also the red doesn't look out of place, it's there to make the logo more legible.

yuoke

Banned
That would be cool and make sense, considering what we know of the Mushroom Kingdom's layout means it's way fucking bigger than that little island. I'm sure it'll be handwaved and stuff but if Nintendo actually cared about that kind of thing when it comes to Mario games, the Mushroom Kingdom and its surrounding kingdoms would need their own globe. Where is Dinosaur Island in the Odyssey map? The place where Bowser rules? Delphino Island? The sister kingdoms that the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games take place in? That can't possibly all fit on that little mushroom.

Paper Mario is in a book.

Mario and luigi mushroom kingdom is meant to be the same as other ones.

aBarreras

it was not about if there was an outrage or not.

mexicans were represented on the cover of a mainlaine mario game.

then they weren't and that does suck.

oti

Banned
This looks so good.

hA9L2whrTPGDyDIJvDIN2w.png

Toxi

Banned
I never realized you could get so many Mario fans outraged by swapping a sombrero for a snorkel.

NEW KINGDOM CONFIRMED

DGGDURdVwAA6-nr.jpg

This officially confirms that the Cascade Kingdom (Dinosaur) is separate from the underwater Cheep Cheep Kingdom. This is because the pink moon shown in the photo is not yellow like the ones in the Cascade kingdom. That means so far there are 7 CONFIRMED KINGDOMS in the game
I love this style of art.

The Japanese tweet says nothing about that wallpaper showcasing a new world. It just says that you can use these pictures for wallpaper. The art may be new, but snorkel Mario was in last year's Club Nintendo calendar.

I now badly want pumpkin Mario.

[edit] Though it does seem like a snorkel Mario is in the game. Still, the tweet says nothing about that picture showing a new world.

DEpX568V0AAOgT2.jpg

Oh god, if we get any of these other costumes... Santa Mario would be the best obviously.

I knew that thread would be a disaster lol

the thread that suggested in the OP that a benign boxart change might mean the removal/censorship of an in-game outfit that shares a common theme with an entire in-game world, maybe to satiate a handful of GAFfers who even during E3 got called out for white knighting mexicans by mexicans

it went bad?

damn dude that's like whoa, hard to believe :p

But how does someone breath underwater with a snorkel meant for....

Actually maybe I shouldn't question it.

Mario clearly has some interchangeable oxygen processing systems in (or out) of his body, since he can easily breathe underwater in the 2D games but not in some of the 3D games. He must have just forgotten his gills in Mario 64 and Odyssey, so he needs his magic snorkel oxygen conversion apparatus.

I can't have paid much attention to that trailer, didn't remember the underwater scene or the boss battle involving making a statue punch itself in the face.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The only thing that worries me a bit is that all gameplay they've shown so far - and I mean 100% of it - looks ridiculously unchallenging. Those 2D sections, for example, look really cool, but they also look easier than 1-1. But maybe that's how it was when they were showing off Galaxy as well, don't remember. And that game does have some challenge, even if "beating" the game is easy as shit. So yeah, I hope they're just showing off the simplest stuff for now, and there's some actual challenge somewhere in there.

Kyzer

Banned
The only thing that worries me a bit is that all gameplay they've shown so far - and I mean 100% of it - looks ridiculously unchallening. Those 2D sections, for example, look really cool, but they also look easier than 1-1. But maybe that's how it was when they were showing off Galaxy as well, don't remember. And that game does have some challenge, even if "beating" the game is easy as shit. So yeah, I hope they're just showing off the simplest stuff for now, and there's some actual challenge somewhere in there.

This is every mario game . Everything they show is early and looks super easy, then we find out theres a secret kingdom thats harder than any mario game before

klier

Just starting to listen to 8-4 Play, and the Odyssey theme song - I finally work out what's been ringing bells with me: It absolutely wouldn't feel out of place in a Katamari game. And I intend that as a complement!

...for Katamari

Peltz

The only thing that worries me a bit is that all gameplay they've shown so far - and I mean 100% of it - looks ridiculously unchallenging. Those 2D sections, for example, look really cool, but they also look easier than 1-1. But maybe that's how it was when they were showing off Galaxy as well, don't remember. And that game does have some challenge, even if "beating" the game is easy as shit. So yeah, I hope they're just showing off the simplest stuff for now, and there's some actual challenge somewhere in there.

I agree.

This article seems to say otherwise though.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15788152/super-mario-odyssey-nintendo-switch-preview-e3-2017

One of the sections in the ice cave looked a bit tough, as did one of those "collect the music note" challenges on top of palm trees. I'm sure there will be plenty of challenging sections, we probably just haven't seen much at all of the game so far.

RagnarokX

More confirmation that this underwater kingdom is its own thing and this is probably the final nail in the coffin confirming it. Super Mario Odyssey has had it's box art changed, they have removed Sombrero Mario and replaced it with the snorkeling Mario. Considering that all the photos on the box art are from separate Kingdoms this is practically 100% confirmation of the underwater kingdom. I got this news from GoNintendo.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2866...mbrero-wearing-mario-from-super-mario-odyssey

5En2J9E.jpg

Eh, it problably is its own Kingdom, but using the boxart as confirmation by that logic Sand Kingdom has been removed from the game or the underwarter place is in Sand Kingdom.

I imagine the red part at the bottom will be filled in with more pictures. Room for Sand Kingdom and 2 others.

Eh, it problably is its own Kingdom, but using the boxart as confirmation by that logic Sand Kingdom has been removed from the game or the underwarter place is in Sand Kingdom.

I imagine the red part at the bottom will be filled in with more pictures. Room for Sand Kingdom and 2 others.

the logic isn't that the world has to be on the box to be in the game, it's that they wouldn't show the same world twice, and they're already showing the Dino world which is the only other potential world for it to be in.

Raitaro

NEW KINGDOM CONFIRMED

DGGDURdVwAA6-nr.jpg

This officially confirms that the Cascade Kingdom (Dinosaur) is separate from the underwater Cheep Cheep Kingdom. This is because the pink moon shown in the photo is not yellow like the ones in the Cascade kingdom. That means so far there are 7 CONFIRMED KINGDOMS in the game

This look fantastic indeed. I'll say it again: a 2D Mario game with HD art like this would be adream come true.

sell me an art book full of art that looks like that please

Join me and some others here in waiting for the recently delayed / hopefully not cancelled Super Mario Encyclopedia. It should include a lot of the old 2D art going by the Japanese version and this summary.

Edit: That Mario Paint costume from the last page would make a lot of sense in this game as an outfit as well imo. It's quite iconic. Pumpkin Mario needs to happen as well.

I hope that the difficulty won't be like in 3D World and Captain Toad, where it went from 0 to 100 after you completed the game. That's just wrong.

Lutherian

wait they actually removed mariachi mario? Are you fucking kidding me?

It's even worse. They removed T-Rex Mario because the T-Rex was just a better 3D model from the one in Turok 1 Remaster. And it even could be insulting against T-Rexes in 3D games, like Tresspasser.

The Reptlian Alliance couldn't allow such discrimination against 3D T-Rexes.

maxcriden

I made a cool discovery, I think. Maybe.

I'm not following SMO ever since the January trailer, since I want to go in as fresh as possible. However, I have seen some things here and there by happenstance, including the new art with the Cheep Cheeps and the new boxart.

Well, it hit me today that I had seen Mario in snorkel gear recently. (I'm assuming snorkel gear is going to be a thing in this game given the images shown.)

So, in August of 2016 I made a thread about Nintendo revealing the long-held mystery regarding Mario's CHONCH (chest hair or no chest hair) status. Nintendo had offered up a wallpaper showing Mario having a relaxed day at the beach. Dystify kindly provided the full image from Twitter:

CpHQ0gQWgAA8r2P.jpg

His snorkeling equipment is right there in the pic. Was Nintendo hinting at snorkeling in the next Mario adventure even then? I'd like to think so, considering snorkeling hasn't been in other Mario games.

Perhaps the Kotabe (or Kotabe-esque) art will be in the game in some form. The image I saw with the purple moon is too lovely not to include and I assume Kotabe (or someone with a very similar art style) is working on other art for the game also.

Anyway, just wanted to share this.

I'm not following SMO ever since the January trailer, since I want to go in as fresh as possible. However, I have seen some things here and there by happenstance, including the new art with the Cheep Cheeps and the new boxart.

Well, it hit me today that I had seen Mario in snorkel gear recently. (I'm assuming snorkel gear is going to be a thing in this game given the images shown.)

So, in August of 2016 I made a thread about Nintendo revealing the long-held mystery regarding Mario's CHONCH (chest hair or no chest hair) status. Nintendo had offered up a wallpaper showing Mario having a relaxed day at the beach. Dystify kindly provided the full image from Twitter:

CpHQ0gQWgAA8r2P.jpg

His snorkeling equipment is right there in the pic. Was Nintendo hinting at snorkeling in the next Mario adventure even then? I'd like to think so, considering snorkeling

Perhaps the Kotabe (or Kotabe-esque) art will be in the game in some form. The image I saw with the purple moon is too lovely not to include and I assume Kotabe (or someone with a very similar art style) is working on other art for the game also.

One of the things all this art seems to have in common is that the style really makes them look like postcards. Which would fit extremely will with Odyssey's theme. I'm betting this image was made specifically because they've been working on postcard/travel themes with Odyssey.

I wonder if there will be a function in-game to send a "postcard", maybe to social media?

SuperSah

Banned
NEW KINGDOM CONFIRMED

DGGDURdVwAA6-nr.jpg

If anyone can resize this to fit a Galaxy S8 and it's awkward resolution I would be SO SO SO THANKFUL.

Please <3!

Ninja Dom

CpHQ0gQWgAA8r2P.jpg

His snorkeling equipment is right there in the pic. Was Nintendo hinting at snorkeling in the next Mario adventure even then? I'd like to think so, considering snorkeling hasn't been in other Mario games.

Max, check the Mario Community thread and earlier in this thread. You can see a Gaffer post shots of a calendar from Club Nintendo last year, the month of August 2016, that has Snorkel Mario as the picture.

EDIT: Who shopped Luigi in that beach pic? He's not meant to be there.

My Mario Odyssey hype kinda died. We have seen New Donk and the sand world so much now. And I really dislike the look of New Donk.
I get what you mean but I'm glad that they aren't really showing anything of substance from the rest of the levels. I think the entire fun of these games is exploring and finding stuff for the first time. I'd be pissed if we ended up seeing too many of the worlds and what they look like right now.

I had to stop watching at e3 because I felt like they were showing waaayy too much of the two or three levels we know about

i think new donk looks awesome though tbh

yuoke

Banned
My Mario Odyssey hype kinda died. We have seen New Donk and the sand world so much now. And I really dislike the look of New Donk.

This is why I haven't watched that much gameplay. I probably watched too much of BOTW and definitely took away some hype.

Top Bottom