• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey vs. Half-Life: Alyx

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 178 52.8%
  • Half-Life: Alyx

Votes: 159 47.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

Jy7Sj8q.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My vote goes to Wahoo Bing Bing, my second-favorite 3D Mario. Capturing enemies to steal their powers was brilliant, and in the post-game (sorry ) they mix up the powers to absurd levels. It controls and looks and sounds like a dream. Only major complaint is the Broodals, which are trash and should be excluded from all future Mario games.

Astral Dog

Odyssey was a big step up presentation wise for Mario but its gameplay mechanics felt repetitive and a bit pointless to me. No matter how many clever ways of getting a Moon there are after awhile it stops being exciting imo

Wunray

Half Life Alyx is a great tech demo at best.......................I kid I kid, I can see why people like it but mario is for me.

I literally couldn't be brought to finish either of them. Made it through 3 worlds in Odyssey before I turned to something else, made it about 1 hour into Alyx before never going back.

Kuranghi

My vote goes to Wahoo Bing Bing, my second-favorite 3D Mario. Capturing enemies to steal their powers was brilliant, and in the post-game (sorry ) they mix up the powers to absurd levels. It controls and looks and sounds like a dream. Only major complaint is the Broodals, which are trash and should be excluded from all future Mario games.

Totally agreement on the game, loved it so much and comes close, but not quite as good for me. The one saving grace of the Broodals for me was that "Rango" looks like Daniel Bloodworth from EZA, which made me laugh everytime I saw him:

latest
artworks-000456695226-dtn4pe-t500x500.jpg

I believe there is a photo of Bloodworth with a sunhat just like that on but I can't find it now ofc.

Wunray

One these games innovates and drives the gaming industry and technology fordward. The other one is stuck in '00s game design.
That's not fair, HLA is on vr which is an emerging tech and they could only put corridors with bad door puzzles and shooting galleries in it, I look past that though and see the possibilities of what could be done on that kind of platform.

I played SMO, never played Alyx but just watching Alyx was a way more interesting and better experience than the lastest Mario collect-a-thon.

DelireMan7

Mario vs Half Life...

Unfortunately I am pretty sure Mario will win...

Half Life has a special place for me and shaped my vision/taste of gaming...

DJT123

I played Super Mario Odyssey on Yuzu. I've never played Alyx and I still know it's immeasurably better than Super Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:

DJT123

NeoGAF used to have a pretty strict policy against piracy. Next time you want to shitpost, please consider not endorsing piracy.
I'm not endorsing piracy in the least. I know Nintendo gamers are very protective of their IP. Just commenting on what I feel was a very lacklustre and uninspired platformer (again, not a shitpost, an opinion.)

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Odyssey is a weird one for me. I had fun playing it. It had some really enjoyable moments and I loved the acrobatics with the hat mechanics.

But something left a sour taste in my mouth. By the time I was just done playing it, I was really done. It just wasn't very fun for me to go and collect any more moons. When I'd look at the list of levels to decide which one to go and collect more, all I could think was, "Meh. Not that one. No that one either. Didn't like that one very much. Damn, did I like any of these?"

It's a good game that I don't really want to go back to. Which makes me question why I call it a good game.

I'm not endorsing piracy in the least. I know Nintendo gamers are very protective of their IP. Just commenting on what I feel was a very lacklustre and uninspired platformer (again, not a shitpost, an opinion.)

You played an illegally obtained copy of a game you do not own for a console you also don't own. That's textbook copyright infringement. In short:

BzGqAO.gif

DJT123

You played an illegally obtained copy of a game you do not own for a console you also don't own. That's textbook copyright infringement. In short:

BzGqAO.gif

I have to defend my honor online then, lol. You're calling me out good.

Yuzu isn't currently installed on my PC. I could never derive value or entertainment from a product and not pay for the privelege.

So, out of the 3 titles I tried out: Pokemon Sword & Shield, Animal Crossing & Super Mario Odyssey, it combined to about 3 hours of playtime on Yuzu. If that's enough to make me guilty of a crime- well, I can't deny technically, it could be. They say Curiousity killed the Cat, lol.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Getting to the point where these are a lot harder. Odyssey is a great game, no doubt. I still voted for Alyx because it meant more and had a bigger impact on me personally.

I have to defend my honor online then, lol. You're calling me out good.

Yuzu isn't currently installed on my PC. I could never derive value or entertainment from a product and not pay for the privelege.

So, out of the 3 titles I tried out: Pokemon Sword & Shield, Animal Crossing & Super Mario Odyssey, it combined to about 3 hours of playtime on Yuzu. If that's enough to make me guilty of a crime- well, I can't deny technically, it could be. They say Curiousity killed the Cat, lol.

You pirated MULTIPLE games? Geez, not sure I feel comfortable around a serial criminal, I don't want to be guilty by association.
rsz_o08pp5r.png

I'm fucking with you friend, but for real do go into LESS details next time lol.

GametimeUK

Mario for me. I played Half Life for a bit and didn't really feel the need to go back. I guess I'll give it a go again when I have my next week vacation from work. Mario had me hooked, had me nostalgic and was just a joy to play. However in Half Life a headcrab jump scared me and I legit threw a glass bottle at it by instinct and that is the coolest moment I've had in games for a long time due to how organic it was.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are you under the impression that HL Alyx is a wave shooter? It sounds like you not only haven't played it but maybe even haven't seen a video or read a review...

Oculus Quest 2 is $300...
The price argumend is no longer valid for Years.
Rift S and Quest were both 400. Quest even allows to play it fully wireless. It's magic

bender

What time is it?
I've only played Mario and it's really good so it gets my vote. My situation is probably why Alyx loses this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Alyx is an amazing milestone and experience once in a lifetime. Sure.. it looses some magic 2nd or 3rd time around but holy shit.
Mario is another mario platformer.

Sure, but I still gotta go with Odyssey. Just brought so much joy to me and my son.

The price argumend is no longer valid for Years.
Rift S and Quest were both 400. Quest even allows to play it fully wireless. It's magic

You can play Alyx wirelessly with a Quest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom