• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey wins "Best of gamescom" & "Most Wanted" awards

NeoGAF 2017 GotY awards is gonna be just like 2014's

there was nothing to play on system Y so its small community decided to band together and make a concentrated effort to prop up Games A, B, C

This isn't how it has ever actually worked, especially since you vote for 10 games in Gaf's GoTY award and most people with a Nintendo system have other systems as well

The real question is, I wonder how many GOTY awards Nintendo wins the next 3 years after this one. I feel like they are kinda shooting all of their bullets in this first year.

Prime 4 and the first console Pokemon will likely grab a few, although I guess Pokemon is technically Gamefreak.

ohlawd

This isn't how it has ever actually worked, especially since you vote for 10 games in Gaf's GoTY award and most people with a Nintendo system have other systems as well

go to the first page of the 2014 awards thread and tell me what reasons people used to justify the placement of Nintendo games in the top 20.

it wasn't because they were good games (and they are)

Ridley327

MK8 and Smash 4 were also among the best-selling games that year. what's your point

You're countering your own point already. Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 were big sellers, which indicates that there wasn't some grassroots movement to get them top marks at the end of the year: it meant that a lot of people got those games and a lot of people liked them.

sinonobu

Banned
Well technically speaking the top three that year were Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, and Smash. With Tropical Freeze hitting 6th place. This is probably what they mean.

Oh my bad. It's 3 am here and my brain can't process properly.

I thought he was talking about the opposite scenario.

there was nothing to play on system Y so its small community decided to band together and make a concentrated effort to prop up Games A, B, C

This doesn't make sense because you vote for 10 games and I'd argue that probably 90% of the people on GAF that own a Nintendo console have something else as well. and 2014 was kinda a shitty year for games anyway outside of Nintendo so I don't see anything out of the ordinary in those awards, well, except that DK is below Dragon Age.

go to the first page of the 2014 awards thread and tell me what reasons people used to justify the placement of Nintendo games in the top 20.

it wasn't because they were good games (and they are)

I don't see anything to suggest people only voted for those games because they were Nintendo games. The posts like "nintendomination" were honestly just stating the facts of how the vote had gone

The real question is, I wonder how many GOTY awards Nintendo wins the next 3 years after this one. I feel like they are kinda shooting all of their bullets in this first year.

They still have so many more franchises and game studios making games.

Animal Crossing
Super Smash Bros.
Paper Mario
F-Zero
Luigi's Mansion
Kid Icarus
Pikmin
Mario (Insert Sport here)
Yoshi
Kirby
Wave Race
Metroid Prime
Nintendogs
Punch Out
Pokemon
Star Fox
Fire Emblem
Warioware
Pilotwings
Donkey Kong

Salvadora

My most anticipated title of the year, by far.

Somewhat concerned about the platforming seen from the released footage so far though.

It seems very simplistic/sparse.

They still have so many more franchises and game studios making games.

Animal Crossing
Super Smash Bros.
Paper Mario
F-Zero
Luigi's Mansion
Kid Icarus
Pikmin
Mario (Insert Sport here)
Yoshi
Kirby
Wave Race
Metroid Prime
Nintendogs
Punch Out
Pokemon
Star Fox
Fire Emblem
Warioware
Pilotwings
Donkey Kong
But for the most part unless they go ridiculous with them, none of those are game of the year candidates.

But for the most part unless they go ridiculous with them, none of those are game of the year candidates.

Handheld Pokemon has won GotY awards, the first ever console one certainly has the potential to be a candidate as long as they don't screw it up, and Prime 4 is another that could easily win some GotY awards as long as it's as good as 1-3.

Galang

Banned
I mean.. even if Odyssey is turns out to be half as good as Mario Galaxy it will still be better than 99% of games out there. It's really hard to top the series at this point

Why are you holding Nintendo to some ridiculous standard of putting like 5 GOTY games out? Do you do that for every other company?
I'm not. I just think they are blowing their load early on and there will be a decent sized lull for a while. It often happens with Nintendo consoles.

mario_angry.jpg
tumblr_m2vapo0t2W1qbbwtc.jpg

ghibli99

Nice! I've avoided most things about Odyssey, and even though one of my friends is trying to ruin my anticipation by trying to convince me that it's the worst controlling 3D Mario game ever and has "Dreamcast-tier graphics", I ain't listening, and I fully expect to love it. And it still blows me away that we have a brand-new Zelda and Mario this year, with the Metroid 2 remake being a completely from out-of-nowhere nice surprise. I have nothing to complain about.

Nice! I've avoided most things about Odyssey, and even though one of my friends is trying to ruin my anticipation by trying to convince me that it's the worst controlling 3D Mario game ever and has "Dreamcast-tier graphics", I ain't listening, and I fully expect to love it. And it still blows me away that we have a brand-new Zelda and Mario this year, with the Metroid 2 remake being a completely from out-of-nowhere nice surprise. I have nothing to complain about.

your friend sounds like a dick, to counter that though, there have been a number of Mario 64 speedrunners that say it controls beautifully and the best since 64.

Josh5890

Well, 2014 was the best year for the Wii-U according to most people and there were several great games on there.

13ruce

Banned
All my friends who own or want a switch and classmates... Well kinda unfair since i do IT so gamers there are not rare lol. All want Mario Odyssey they all like that hat mechanic and wonder if you can be a dinosaur in new donk city.

Hype is real.

Hold on.....

ACO wins on PS4, yet they only had the One X version there because of the marketing. (I am guessing here but that's just logic) am I the only one finding this odd?

13ruce

Banned
Hold on.....

ACO wins on PS4, yet they only had the One X version there because of the marketing. (I am guessing here but that's just logic) am I the only one finding this odd?

I find it odd on both platforms a 3rd party title wins tbh.

There is some exclusive stuff to release left this year right?

Plum

Oh fuck, guys, we let an outsider see into one of our secret meetings. Quick, alert Reggie, he'll be able to deal with it.

Raven117

BOTW did peter out at the end...but then I thought, can I really complain about a game getting boring 160+ hours in? I mean, that's pretty damn solid.

I do think reasonable minds can differ about "GOTY". While Zelda is a fine game, I think there were other offerings this year that easily give it competition (and ones that I personally enjoyed more). Other than the sense of scale, it didn't do anything unique or better than other game that attempted it.

Looking forward to Mario!

So you are holding them to a ridiculous standard, or are only GOTY-tier games worth playing?
Well I mean look at the Wii U. There is maybe at most 10 games worth playing on the console? I am just worried Nintendo will make bank on their big few games and then the console will slowly die like it has the last few gens.

Plum

Well I mean look at the Wii U. There is maybe at most 10 games worth playing on the console? I am just worried Nintendo will make bank on their big few games and then the console will slowly die like it has the last few gens.

Well that didn't happen for the 3DS. In fact, the 3DS is so not dead that people are absolutely livid at Nintendo for not treating it like Old Yeller. Only the poorly-selling Nintendo consoles die out like that because, well, they're poorly-selling.

Nintendo is fine. The Wii U comparison is odd considering it got its first Zelda (brand new) game in its 4th year. What did Nintendo "bank" on with the Wii U in its first year? They had like 4-5 games in the first year of the Wii U. Nintendo surpassed that with the Switch in its first 6 months.

Well that didn't happen for the 3DS. In fact, the 3DS is so not dead that people are absolutely livid at Nintendo for not treating it like Old Yeller. Only the poorly-selling Nintendo consoles die out like that because, well, they're poorly-selling.

They need to make up their minds. It's a problem when Nintendo doesn't support its systems to the very end and it's a problem when they support their systems to the very end.

I'm pretty sure the restructuring of the entire company's development power was made to prevent that.

Megatron

Showed the Wife Mario and Rabbids the other night, she was like yeah thats neat.

Then she asked "When does that new Super Mario come out?" I replied Mid-late October. She took out her phone and put it on her calendar and marked off time for this game. Odyssey is going to be massive.

Thats Awesome. If it doesnt work out with her, please giver her my number.

Top Bottom