• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG |OT| Lets-A-Go Back to 1996

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
qWw6vfd.gif

Welcome to the Super Mario RPG (Remake) NeoGAF OT!

Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: November 17th, 2023
Price: $59.99

iz5cQr1.png

The biggest change in this release is that the graphics have been updated and modernized, but remain faithful to the original game. The game is also now in widescreen format.

Here are some comparisons:

1AEMQg0.gif

8S6UlIa.png

KkxOpsC.png
vLPsYwR.png
sAfANfN.png
e3jp02t.png
y6ZWeEg.png

zBVP5X8.png

4c7e8dd48d4502fe6e055a4123edb756884df4c3b9e38b6e0b2e6467f0e3f156

6f1e4ece77f40f695a7589fb098bc07c26ea34dcb740f31ad65f5b6fe157d006

b6ddbc898fcb6c78c6d186d914c9cbdf446652b930d16eabb30b169fbf9b94c1

G3ao5wc.png

Reveal trailer:

Overview Trailer:

IGN Review:

bNBzQdh.png

Last edited:

protonion

I played a bit over an hour until Kero Sewers.

A lovely 1 to 1 remake, nothing more nothing less.

One obvious flaw is some really bad frame drops here and there.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm not really sold on this. I never played the original. I mean how does it compared to the Paper Mario games?
It looks like a faithful remake but the game looks I dunno basic?
Fun fact, Paper Mario was originally designed to be a sequel to this game (but Nintendo and Square couldn't settle on the rights).

If you enjoy the original Paper Mario, you'll probably like this game a lot. The level-up system here almost identical to Paper Mario. Combat is, as you say, pretty "basic". Combat you have the standard
  • Fight
  • Spell
  • Item
  • Defend
Setup similar to a classic Final Fantasy game. Each character learns different spells as they level up. The max level is 30, and you only have 5 party members throughout the game, so again pretty limited combinations here. You can equip each character with a weapon, a single piece of armor, and a single accessory (similar to badges in Paper Mario). Some spells and monster spells, will trigger status effects: poison, fear, silence, etc.

Also like Paper Mario, if you time the button presses right when the attack lands, you can score additional damage or your spells do different abilities. In this game, doing that enough will build up a power meter that lets you unleash a big attack.

Mortisfacio

I guess so called "mature" should only play dark and gritty games. I enjoy Mario games, if that makes me "childish" then fine by me.

Well as a content rating, yes, that's mature. You can still be a "mature adult" and enjoy Mario, but Mario is childish in theme, story, characters and appeal. This doesn't mean only children should play it, though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well as a content rating, yes, that's mature. You can still be a "mature adult" and enjoy Mario, but Mario is childish in theme, story, characters and appeal. This doesn't mean only children should play it, though.
Mario is type of game appeals to everyone kid or adult, thats whats great about it. I enjoy playing dark games like Bloodborne and also enjoy games like Mario, I want and need both type of games.

edit: How much you want to bet more kids play games like Fortnite and COD over game like Mario RPG with tun based combat.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
if you are worried about looking childish in your 30s you're a child. especially since once you have kids you're gonna be exposed to "childish" media, anyways

Vyse

Gold Member
Flying home from vacation on Saturday. Perfect game to download for the ride! Loved the original.

Last edited:
The original is one of my favorite games of my childhood. I can finally relive that childhood, 26 years later. It's regarded as a classic for very good reasons but let's hope they fix some of the reported frame rate issues a bit with a launch day patch.

jshackles

Just got my shipping notice - apparently it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow! I have tomorrow off so that would work out great.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

-When asked, it wouldn't have hurt to add some more news.

-We are missing an option to make the dialogues progress more quickly.

-Although the game has aged well, the passage of time makes some levels excessively simple today.
To Meristation
facepalm-icegif-2.gif

To the Review Magazine
(n)
👇

luigi-mario.gif

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

These millennial crystal generation video game analysts know nothing about video games.

I don't care,... Super Mario RPG is one of the best games I've ever played.

Last edited:

DryvBy

This game used to be slightly difficult too so I'm hoping that stays. Nintendo is great but the games are too easy these days.

This game used to be slightly difficult too so I'm hoping that stays. Nintendo is great but the games are too easy these days.
It was only difficult because you were a kid. Now you're an adult and you know RPG mechanics inside and out. Don't expect it to be like how it was when you were like 8 years old.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Calling someone childish is never used as a compliment or something positive. Now sure, the word can also simply mean "suitable for kids" but, it's Mario, we kinda know that already even before getting to the E for Everyone rating. It's normal if some assumed the negative meaning of the remark for the developer, the end product and whoever likes it, instead of the captain obvious impression when even after several posts there's been a failure to explain if it simply meant to say "kid friendly" and just happened to use and double down with a less common term that is also a common insult.

Last edited:

Celine

A great OT for a great game.

I always suggest to read the developer interview before the game release (late '95) translated in english by the good guy at Shmuplations to understand how Super Mario RPG from the start aimed to be a different kind of "RPG" from what Square was used to produce like Final Fantasy VI:

However stuff like in-game tutorial through NPCs, timed hits in the battle system, a plethora of mini-games with actions uncommon for the genre at the time which was based mostly on reading text and stats would trickled down to later Final Fantasy games (and of course it was the first Square RPG fully based on CGI graphics).

Last edited:

StueyDuck

When this was first announced I was like... meh, ok dying console getting a remake.

But now we've gotten here and how sterile gaming has been this year I can't fucking wait to play this again, definitely helped by sea of stars I imagine

manzo

Funny thing that this is the only game I'm probably ever buying for Switch day 1. Already told my daughter that Animal Crossing time is very limited in the upcoming days.

One of the rare remakes, after Trials of Mana that I'm actually giddy about. If not the game, but the remade Yoko Shimomura OST that is sublime in this game.

Top Bottom