• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG |OT| Lets-A-Go Back to 1996

Krathoon

I am liking the whole change with the sword at the beginning. They should have kept the title flickering in.

The 3D graphics and camera drastically improves the cutscenes. Night and day difference.

BlackTron

this the timing stuff is to hard for me sadly.

Not really supposed to be that easy. It's a game where you engage in many many battles so you have the opportunity to practice and nail the right timings for each move with much repetition.

To this day there are some weapons I screw up often on. I'm way better with a hammer than a punch glove. I'm hilariously bad when needing to block some of the Axem Rangers melee attacks, but when the black ranger throws a bomb I block it every damn time. Geno Whirl does 9999 damage when timed correctly -you aren't expected to get it that fast.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Not really supposed to be that easy. It's a game where you engage in many many battles so you have the opportunity to practice and nail the right timings for each move with much repetition.

To this day there are some weapons I screw up often on. I'm way better with a hammer than a punch glove. I'm hilariously bad when needing to block some of the Axem Rangers melee attacks, but when the black ranger throws a bomb I block it every damn time. Geno Whirl does 9999 damage when timed correctly -you aren't expected to get it that fast.
i am just not that good oh well.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Toad forgot his bazooka?

Chris Pratt What GIF

BlackTron

i am just not that good oh well.
I didn't do that well until I started watching for my own cues in the frames of animation. Thankfully, even amazingly, they mostly held up in the remake. For example, Geno has a weapon where his elbow detaches before firing a projectile. I learned the timing to press A right after his elbow detaches, and I never missed it again. Still works in this version! You really need to play a while, fail a lot, and get a feel for each move.

Not gonna lie, coming down hard on yourself for not being good at Mario RPG timed hits the very first day you played it is like a poster child for why games need to be so easy these days.

Zelduh

I didn't do that well until I started watching for my own cues in the frames of animation. Thankfully, even amazingly, they mostly held up in the remake. For example, Geno has a weapon where his elbow detaches before firing a projectile. I learned the timing to press A right after his elbow detaches, and I never missed it again. Still works in this version! You really need to play a while, fail a lot, and get a feel for each move.

Not gonna lie, coming down hard on yourself for not being good at Mario RPG timed hits the very first day you played it is like a poster child for why games need to be so easy these days.

Yep lol, if the game was even a tad more difficult instead of the "it's too easy!" posts instead we'd be inundated with "This game FORCES you to GRIND! FUCK THIS GAME! Going to use cheats sorry not sorry I'M TIRED OF GRINDING!" (even though grinding is never necessary)

DeVeAn

Performance takes a dump almost anytime you move across a town. Very jarring. I do like the small improvements though. Clean graphics are very nice.

Swapping party at any time is very welcome also.

rkofan87

Gold Member

i played it back in 96 but yes i am a big fan of piss easy.

sigmaZ

this the timing stuff is to hard for me sadly.
Yeah. I don't like the route they took with it. There are a few times where it does feel right rhythmically but other times where the visual cues and the rhythm don't align so I don't know to trust my timing or the visual cues. Sea of Stars seemed to handle the timing stuff a bit better, but I don't like spending so much time in battle with mobs. I like to blast through, level up and take on the boss. I do kind of like the boss designs I've seen so far. I like how they have unique mechanics and such. I'll say that.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Performance takes a dump almost anytime you move across a town. Very jarring. I do like the small improvements though. Clean graphics are very nice.

Started Playing on Emu... Wow.. vast improvement!
Ryujinx is the better Emu atm, while I prefer Yuzu, I even pay for Yuzu Early Access... Performance is rock solid on Ryu.. I am considering changing who I pay... and I have been paying Yuzu Devs like 2+ years without even batting an eye, within all of that time!

Both emus very playable, but Ryu has ROCKCOCK-SOLID PERFORMANCE. (Save brought from Switch to PC)
Edit: Solid 60 FPS. No Stutters.
aua2Omb.jpg

Last edited:

MAtgS

*HYPER MEANINGLESS NITPICK TIME*

Of all the name changes in the remake, the one that irks me the most is "Bowser's Minions" as the de facto name of...well, Bowser's minions. It's the way the game is weirdly insistent on the term that makes it stick out so much to me. Like at no point are they ever referred to as the Koopa Troop, or Bowser's forces or army or anything to shake it up a bit. No, it must be Bowser's Minions, with the capital M every single time. As if it's meant to have a tiny TM at the end of it. Which actually would've made it funny if they did that & justify the whole thing to me.

Yamisan

Started Playing on Emu... Wow.. vast improvement!
Ryujinx is the better Emu atm, while I prefer Yuzu, I even pay for Yuzu Early Access... Performance is rock solid on Ryu.. I am considering changing who I pay... and I have been paying Yuzu Devs like 2+ years without even batting an eye, within all of that time!

Both emus very playable, but Ryu has ROCKCOCK-SOLID PERFORMANCE. (Save brought from Switch to PC)
Edit: Solid 60 FPS. No Stutters.
aua2Omb.jpg

Piracy is bad.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

They got the style and graphics to look like a pre-rendered diorama, but Unity? I would have thought Nintendo could help them with a more performant in-house engine…

BlackTron

I'm about to defeat Smithy but I'm reluctant to confirm for myself that there's no post-game hard mode. I already know it's not there because you can't find a single hint of it on the Internet.

I can't believe they took the trouble to add difficulty options at all, and made them "a smidge easier than SNES" and "even easier than that". That's it? Are you fucking serious?

It doesn't ruin the game, but it does ding it for no reason whatsoever and it's a bit of a slap in the face. After all Nintendo knows a lot of their audience are grown up SNES players who own Switches now and they added difficulty options to a game with no way to even make it as hard as the original. That's kind of hilariously and just unnecessarily dumb.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
After all Nintendo knows a lot of their audience are grown up SNES players who own Switches now and they added difficulty options to a game with no way to even make it as hard as the original.
Do they though?
It seems to me that Nintendo know very well that the pool of 80s and 90s fans that would lap up everything is ever smaller, and they are putting in difficulty settings for a new audience that’s less patient and less tolerant of frustration. An audience that has lots of alternative means of entertainment and that can’t be bothered to persist if they’re not getting quick satisfaction.

That said, this is another reason I think the €60 price tag for this remaster (it’s a remaster, let’s not waste more time arguing over semantics, ty) is excessive, especially for the old fans.

BlackTron

Do they though?
It seems to me that Nintendo know very well that the pool of 80s and 90s fans that would lap up everything is ever smaller, and they are putting in difficulty settings for a new audience that’s less patient and less tolerant of frustration. An audience that has lots of alternative means of entertainment and that can’t be bothered to persist if they’re not getting quick satisfaction.

That said, this is another reason I think the €60 price tag for this remaster (it’s a remaster, let’s not waste more time arguing over semantics, ty) is excessive, especially for the old fans.

I think so 100%, yes. They are aware of how much grown ups buy Nintendo stuff and indoctrinate their kids into it. Adding easier difficulty options to cater to those kids is perfectly understandable, and encouraged. I also encourage options in the opposite direction for the adults plunking down the cash.

It's sticks out especially here because this game was remade in painstaking detail, ostensibly out of respect for the original and with the intent of retaining its essence for those who already played it, and they bothered to add a difficulty option and make sure you can't miss it. They set you up to think they did good and turns out they actually don't even give the "option" for a SNES level challenge, nevermind the opportunity for a new harder mode the remake would have afforded and dangles in front of you.

And again, it's an RPG. It's just stats. This is no real work to do, it's arbitrary.

BlackTron

Finished it, did the first post-game boss fight and listened to the sound test for about an hour before realizing there is an in-game timer. 15 hours

I never played the original. I'm going to have to reset my button remapping so it fits with the onscreen prompts. That was jarring.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It’s not difficult game but it’s super fun and enjoying the combat, I just need to get used to the timing of the attacks and defending.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Finished the game, had a blast. Huge dose of nostalgia for me. I'm okay with the difficulty being lower on regular mode. I'm just really happy this exists at all.

Someone at Nintendo must have been, "No! It must stay in!".
Nintendo and Square Enix are Japanese companies. There is no way anyone even noticed or cared that it was brought over 1:1 from the original. They appear to have used the original localization script for English unchanged so there wasn't even anyone in the West who could have complained or tried to have it removed.

Brock2621

Playing right now and my gosh this game was an absolute gem. Still holds up wonderfully to the point my 11 year old and 9 year old weren’t interested at first, and are now absolutely HOOKED.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
smh even Mario is woke these days

Other than this obvious agenda... and the stuttering issues, the game's great. It's cool to revisit a game that was so personally important to me as a kid, but they really did a great job modernizing it. But yeah, it's yet another example of why we need that goddamn Switch 2. Tired of games running like garbage.

(oh, and jk on the screenshot and all that... in case I actually have to clarify that for anyone)

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
smh even Mario is woke these days

Other than this obvious agenda... and the stuttering issues, the game's great. It's cool to revisit a game that was so personally important to me as a kid, but they really did a great job modernizing it. But yeah, it's yet another example of why we need that goddamn Switch 2. Tired of games running like garbage.

(oh, and jk on the screenshot and all that... in case I actually have to clarify that for anyone)

If Switch 2 is BC...Day 1. Easily.

BlackTron

Nintendo and Square Enix are Japanese companies. There is no way anyone even noticed or cared that it was brought over 1:1 from the original. They appear to have used the original localization script for English unchanged so there wasn't even anyone in the West who could have complained or tried to have it removed.

There are many many changes from the original. Psychopath is now Thought Peek, Frogfucious is now "Frog Sage", Mack is Claymorton. Mallow no longer says "who do you think you are, Bruce Lee?"

Peach's ??? could have become Peach's anything.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I’m stuck after booster tower went back to the pound but the grand father don’t say a thing is it a bug?

BlackTron

I’m stuck after booster tower went back to the pound but the grand father don’t say a thing is it a bug?

After Booster Tower you should appear in Marrymore after the beetle hill minigame. If you're stuck there, start talking to townsfolk and trying very obvious things.

BlackTron

Well I'm finally gonna have to level up. There's no way I'm beating the cake boss round 2 I've tried it a dozen times. My party is about level 19.

Lillie

I haven't opened the game up yet but I will later today. Any tips for a first time player (meaning i never played the SNES edition) - only paper mario 64 in this genre or style of mario rpg gaming.

SCB3

This is surprisingly harder than I expected, on the Forest Maze with Mario/Mallow and the Mushrooms are kicking my ass, I had to go back and buy the Trueform Ring to help

Also I can't help but hear the damned FF7/8/8 Selection noise when you select something lol

Top Bottom