• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid really is one hell of a game

Stopdoor

Guys, there's no reason to be arguing about the relative quality of Fusion and Zero Mission, in the end they're both top tier games even if Super Metroid is mind-blowing. I think one way they objectively edge out Super is in the controls, they just feel ultra-slick to play.

Prime is a great game but it's not as good as Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion or Metroid Zero Mission.

Fusion is fun but Prime is definitely superior in comparison. Fusion kinda got carried away with its bigger focus on narrative and general linearity (let's face it, it was the harbinger of things to come with Other M). Prime on the other hand is basically classic 2D Metroid through and through, only done in a 1st person perspective.

It and Super Metroid are the king and queen of the whole series.

aett

My five-year-old randomly booted up the game on the Wii U yesterday. Seeing someone go through ~20 minutes of Super Metroid with no idea how to proceed made me feel like I was twelve again and playing it for the first time.

It's great until the last quarter of the game when they introduce the grappling hook and the space jump (or whatever it's called). Those mechanics are so finicky and not fun to use that I almost gave up on the game completely.

I ended up feeling frustrate way more than I was having fun.

Saikyo

Played super after fusion, am2r and zero mission so it felt aged for me without some QOL additions like hp and missile stations near each other or by chozo statues and ledge grab. There is something with how Samus moves in super thats bug me and its the least screw attack I liked in the series in the way its jump (always find it weird).

Maybe it gave me a "Seinfeld is unfunny" vibe because I played also after all castlevanias too.I know its importance for the metroidvania genre but I had more fun with other metroids games...and I am not gonna try Other M for a long time.

Mr Git

One of the best games ever, simply sublime. I still replay it regularly. Save states tho op c'mon, it already has save points :p

What other game features 3 dead people right up there on its title screen?

And people wonder why the fanbase is upset over Federation Force...

Super Metroid had some serious balls.

Baleoce

It boggles the mind how this fantastic game (commonly in most top 10s) only sold 1.42mil lifetime physical units. I'm not implying that figure is bad in and of itself, but I'm comparing it in relation to sales figures for other SNES games and franchises. It's kind of sobering tbh.

Toxi

Banned
Super Metroid is just so fucking good. I love wall jumping; while Zero Mission has more intuitive controls, there's just something satisfying about the way Super Metroid does it.

It says something that I played Super for the first time in the late 2000s and still found it an amazing game.

Neiteio

I've tried to get into Super Metroid three times so far, most recently on the N3DS VC. It just doesn't hold my attention. I think it's because the jump feels off, the way it loses all momentum and is more vertical than horizontal regardless of your running speed. More clumsy than athletic.

Piers

It's the best Metroid game. Everything else in the franchise is subpar compared to this masterpiece!

I actually preferred Samus's handling in Zero Mission. Felt a lot more snappy and responsive than Super Metroid's floaty physics, which felt like it took longer to get through the world.

DrArchon

Super Metroid is a staggeringly good game. I never got a chance to play the original version, just the Wii VC version, but it's amazing how well it holds up. It's incredibly effective at making players feel anxiety and anticipation early in the game, when you don't have a lot of gear and you don't know the layout of the map, but it seamlessly switches over to making you feel powerful once you've got more stuff and a good idea of where you are. The kind of tension that I felt playing Super Metroid for the first time is something that I rarely get from modern Metroidvanias, except maybe Axiom Verge.

Neiteio

I actually preferred Samus's handling in Zero Mission. Felt a lot more snappy and responsive than Super Metroid's floaty physics, which felt like it took longer to get through the world.
Nailed it. Super Metroid feels floaty, and it makes navigating the world a pain in the ass.

foxdvd

best overall use of music and sound of all time...not the best music and sound...just how well it is used.

Nailed it. Super Metroid feels floaty, and it makes navigating the world a pain in the ass.

I always preferred the "floaty" controls of Super Metroid, to be honest. It made Samus feel like she was really there and subject the physics and laws of nature in the world.

The GBA games didn't feel as tactile to me (although I still enjoyed them).

Glass Rebel

I think it's still the best in its genre as far as level design is concerned but Zero Mission slightly edges it out for me because of the controls and physics which make it more enjoyable to play.

I really miss 2D Metroid.

Neiteio

I always preferred the "floaty" controls of Super Metroid, to be honest. It made Samus feel like she was really there and subject the physics and laws of nature in the world.

So Zebes just cancels out forward momentum when you jump and makes you hang-time vertically for a solid second before falling like a rock? Is that how gravity works on some planets?

Justin Bailey

------ ------
To be honest, not saving the animals isn't that big of a deal considering they canonically live as shown in Metroid Fusion.

hqdefault.jpg

But then if you don't save them it's a TIME PARADOX.

Piers

Right? Maybe I'm just not into Metroid's exploration as I think I am. But aside from the slow movement, hearing the ambient music also somehow grated on me when getting lost. Prime did this, too. When getting frustated over how slow things are progressing, the lower-tempo music compounded that irate feeling further. Like trying to get past a wall of slow-walking elderly.

That's true, and I think even Sakurai mentioned playing Metroid(s?) to understand why Samus controlled the way she does -- he figured it was to help players aim whilst they're jumping up and down.

I imagine it was probably to also help people scale the vertical tunnels, which they'd no doubt come across quite often. And in fact, I don't think Super Metroid allowed Samus to grab onto ledges and pull herself up -- something Zero Mission also did, for better or worse.

I always preferred Super Metroids controls.

Maybe I just mastered them years ago and playing fusion and zero after just didn't feel as familiar.

Supers controls just feel natural to me. I can walljump the whole way up that first long vertical room no matter how long it's been since I last played the game.

Edit: that ledge grab was such a cheap move to add. I much preferred walljumping up and over

That's true, and I think even Sakurai mentioned playing Metroid(s?) to understand why Samus controlled the way she does -- he figured it was to help players aim whilst they're jumping up and down.

The ironic thing about that is that in Smash, Samus hardly even plays like the way shes does in Metroid. In Metroid games you're primarily shooting shit out of her arm cannon...in Smash however she bashes peoples' heads with it and does a bunch of random kicks and physical attacks.

Toxi

Banned
Kinda funny when you consider how different Smash Samus feels, especially her Charge Beam.

And in fact, I don't think Super Metroid allowed Samus to grab onto ledges and pull herself up -- something Zero Mission also did, for better or worse.
It doesn't. Fusion was the first Metroid game that allowed Samus to do that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Super Metroid isn't perfect. It has some minor control issues (weapon cycling, wall jumps), noob bridge, and Ridley is a hard gear check...

...but overall it is still one of the best games of all time. There are modern imitators like Guacamelee, while good, don't match Super Metroid because they have some fundamental flaws in how they approach exploration, item discovery, and powerup gating. Like in Guacamelee, you use the red power on the red door and the blue power on the blue door. You don't get to feel clever for figuring out how to use your new power to open up the map.

Toxi

Banned
Super Metroid isn't perfect. It has some minor control issues (weapon cycling, wall jumps), noob bridge, and Ridley is a hard gear check...

...but overall it is still one of the best games of all time. There are modern imitators like Guacamelee, while good, don't match Super Metroid because they have some fundamental flaws in how they approach exploration, item discovery, and powerup gating. Like in Guacamelee, you use the red power on the red door and the blue power on the blue door. You don't get to feel clever for figuring out how to use your new power to open up the map.
I should point out Super Metroid also has color coded doors.

21XX

Banned

I agree with this 100%. I liked Fusion quite a bit (never played ZM, but I'm assuming the jump is the same), but the jump always felt so jerky and erratic compared to Super's. I like the slower pace of SM's jump; makes it feel like the world has weight.

So Zebes just cancels out forward momentum when you jump and makes you hang-time vertically for a solid second before falling like a rock? Is that how gravity works on some planets?
Chill. The controls weren't perfect, of course. Super Metroid just felt better to me is all. The GBA games were too loose feeling to me. They worked fine, but Samus's movements didn't feel as convincing to me. It's kind of hard to explain.

Why yes, yes it is one hell of a game. I guess I lucked out in playing it the first time, since it was at a really weird time of life. It was a go-to for just getting away, and man oh man, did it do the trick.

.JayZii

Banned
This game never gets enough credit. People should mention it more.

Definitely one of my favorite games of all time, though. It was way too much for me when my older brother and sister rented it when I was a little kid. I didn't get back around to it until I played a friend's copy with him in high school and it blew my mind.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I should point out Super Metroid also has color coded doors.

But those color coded doors aren't the totality of powerup gating. You use the Hi Jump boots to access Kraid. You use the power bomb to bust into Maridia. You use the Varia suit to enter extreme heat. In Super Metroid, the gating is often a mystery. You can feel clever when you remember when you were blocked and you can go "oh I can use this to go through that now". In Guacamelee, you earn the red power and you look at all the points on the map where there is a red door. It is too obvious. The color coded doors are the only way it gates.

Rambler

The ironic thing about that is that in Smash, Samus hardly even plays like the way shes does in Metroid. In Metroid games you're primarily shooting shit out of her arm cannon...in Smash however she bashes peoples' heads with it and does a bunch of random kicks and physical attacks.
Remember the flamethrower from Super Metroid?

Kill the animals, save the frames.

I have to say one thing that still blows my mind about Super Metroid is just how polished it feels if that makes any sense. The enviroments are so well crafted, the graphics look like they are pushing the hardware and due to the way how Samus moves around in it the game is still a ton of fun to play even after so long.

I mean that's my impression, maybe there are games even better in perceived quality than Super Metroid.

As someone who shamefully never played it back in the day.. I picked it up on Wii U Virtual Console and was fucking blown away.

I still have yet to beat it but it flew into my top 20 games of all time after about 10 hours played.

Its *so* good. So well crafted, polished, etc...

It reminded me of playing Demon's Souls for the first time. I'm a sucker for games that essentially say "fuck you, figure it out".

SM is great but I consider both Zero Mission and AM2R better. Off with Samus' floaty controls and slow run (in comparison). I also didn't play SM until sometime around 2008 on Wii VC so I lack the rose tinted nostalgia goggles of SM.

Just don't skip AM2R and ZM. I implore you.

Do skip Other M. That shit never happened.

I don't have much to contribute other than my high opinion of it. It's aged well, and up against other games from its decade it's easily top five.

Between it and Symphony of the Night (because why not open that can of worms), I vary depending on the day. The pacing of Super Metroid is so strong thanks to power ups feeling way more substantial compared to anything received in SotN. That being said, backtracking in SotN is more cohesive for me thanks to the arcade-y controls and combat. I also much prefer the boss fights of SotN.

Gun to my head, first playthrough I'd take Super Metroid, but for a repeat playthrough or speed run I'd enjoy SotN's mechanics more.

Nohar

Super Metroid is a great game. Sadly, Zero Mission's physics are so much better that I really have an hard time replaying Super Metroid now.

DonShula

I'm playing through Zero Mission now and while it's good... it's no Super Metroid. The pacing and challenge of the game is superb. You get lost, yeah, but it's never to the point where you feel like you've got no idea what to do next. Though Zero Mission and Super Metroid do share a glass tube you have to blow up with practically no indication whatsoever. I don't see how people would've figured it out in Zero Mission if they didn't play Super Metroid first.

Haven't played Zero Mission, but the map in Super is the indication that you should blow up the tube. It shows the tube room to be "open" above and below the tube (as in, "you can enter the rest of this room - it's larger than a single square").

Top Bottom