• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monkey Ball: BB - Single-Player Preview & Videos

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/738/738563p1.html
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/824/824977/vids_1.html
Banana Blitz is playing and looking so good that we've completely forgotten about that little adventure game with the monkeys in it -- what was it called again? Oh, it doesn't even matter. What matters is that players who loved the original Super Monkey Ball titles are going to do backflips over this Wii-enhanced sequel.

We're going to dive into the gameplay mechanics shortly, but first let's go over the numbers. Banana Blitz's single-player mode features approximately 99 levels of varying difficulty -- and really, some of these stages are outrageously hard to make it through, let alone master. Players will travel through an initial eight worlds, each with eight stages -- one of which is a boss battle. Monkey Island looks very reminiscent of a traditional tropical setting from previous games. Jumble Jungle features brush and waterfall backdrops. Smooth Sherbet is surrounded in falling snow particles and icy pathways. Detritus Desert takes gamers through Egyptian-style mazes complete with pyramids, sand dunes, and bridges. Pirates Ocean is filled with spooky ships and swaying waters. Cobalt Caverns unfolds beneath the sea in caves. Volcanic Pools -- well, the name says it all. And Space Case, the eight world, boasts galactic backgrounds that are just as surreal as they are hypnotic.

By the time gamers make it to Space Case, they will be masters, but hardcore pros can go for gold and unlock two additional worlds. Only those who make it through all eight worlds without continuing can unlock the ninth area, which is practically impossible. And the insanely dedicated can attempt to make it through the ninth world without continuing to unlock the tenth and final area, which will prove nearly insurmountable even for those with cybernetically enhanced reflexes. In short, don't let those cute little monkeys fool you: Banana Blitz is poised to be every bit as challenging and controller-throwing-inducing as its predecessors.
After five minutes of play time, we were honestly wondering if the game was more difficult because of the Wii controller. Some of the maneuvers that would have proven easy with an analog stick felt somehow more challenging when performed via gestures. But two hours later, we found ourselves flying through stages, attempting shortcut after shortcut without even thinking about how to use the Wii-mote, and roaring and cheering or laughing depending on whether or not our attempts were amazing successes or embarrassing failures. The title actually encourages pros to go for the shortcuts, as certain banana clumps can only be reached by daredevils who bounce off ledges and go for the quickest time to the goal. We've posted a wealth of new direct-feed movies and we think viewers will agree that there are some absolutely thrilling stages in the game -- and the control mechanics quickly transform from pretty good to damn near excellent as soon as Ballers learn to rewire the way they play.

All-new to Banana Blitz are boss battles, which take place at the end of each world. These unfold in a pretty straightforward manner, but they are actually kind of fun and a good break from the more traditional In one boss battle, a gigantic hippo/ape/abominable snowman creature sits in the middle of an icy arena. The monster shows what appears to be an enormous inflamed pink bellybutton -- at least, we hope that's what it is -- and it's up to gamers to avoid his spinning attacks long enough to bounce into the phallic appendage. It's pretty easy, but the battles become increasingly difficult. For instance, later, another boss shoots missiles at the monkeys and players must jump on these projectiles to ricochet them backward.

As downloaders will see in the videos we've provided, Banana Blitz features a made-over cel-shaded style that goes very well with the franchise, as far as we're concerned. The pastel look is very cheerful, much like the happy, high-pitched music the game booms out. Snow particles drift in the foreground, backdrops are blurred via depth of field, and the monkey balls themselves cast reflections and become surrounded by star particles when gamers bump into objects. The game has an impressively clean, crisp look to it due in large to the quality of the textures, which hold up even when evaluated closely. Best of all, Banana Blitz runs at 60 frames per second and supports both progressive-scan and 16:9 widescreen modes.

Banana Blitz features 50 mini-games, including such favorites as Monkey Target -- a mini that by itself is enough to make us want the title. However, this is a series that has largely been about the spectacular single-player puzzle stages and it is here that, without a doubt, Banana Blitz does not disappoint. At the end of our two hours with the game, we didn't want to stop, and we nearly ran out of tape because we kept recording ourselves going through levels again and again as we tried for the best shortcuts. Monkey Ball fans are going to eat this title up and keep coming back for the mini-games. We see absolutely no reason at this stage why Banana Blitz shouldn't be on everybody's must-buy list when Wii launches this November.
Do not disappoint me Nagoshi, you haven't done this yet so I trust you will deliver. This preview helps. Sounds great. Day 1 Purchase. :D

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
A return to the quality of the first game for the 1-player game would be so good.

The talk of short-cuts is promising.

etiolate

Banned
Monkey Ball has been under the radar after being a surprise hit last gen. Sega screwed with the franchise and it backfired. This might get things back to what made people love Monkeyball.

Kelsonk

I'm afraid that the jumping might make shortcuts a little too accessible and make the game a lot easier than it has been in the past.

jj984jj

Don't mind the jumping, could easily work to our disadvantage as well, but I hate that you only have to collect 20 bananas to get a life.

Dr.Hadji

I was frowning at the jumping too until I thought... I played monkey ball one 100%. And I played mokeyball 2 100%. It's time for SOMETHING to change.

Jumping might be a mistake. But I'll be the judge when it comes out. Until then...

jj984jj

I think you jump with the A button. I just realized GameSpot did a preview as well:
Based on what we played so far, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz is sticking to the essentials of its appeal. The core mechanics are still accessible, and the action is addictive. The addition of the jump is a new wrinkle that fits comfortably with the simple controls. The Wii controller offers a new challenge that we want to spend more time getting comfortable with.
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/supermonkeyballbananablitz/news.html?sid=6159450&mode=previews

Rlan

scola said:
jumping.... why?

:(

From what I can tell, it's not technically "Jumping". You're in control of the board, not the monkey, so shaking the controller makes you move the board up and down really quickly, making you bump the Monkey up into the air.

Edit: I may or may not have any idea what I'm talking about.

jj984jj

Rlan said:
From what I can tell, it's not technically "Jumping". You're in control of the board, not the monkey, so shaking the controller makes you move the board up and down really quickly, making you bump the Monkey up into the air.

Edit: I may or may not have any idea what I'm talking about.
You control the monkey for the jump.

jj984jj

Speevy said:
Jumping works brilliantly for Marble Blast Ultra. You just have to alter the stages.
Hopefully they can make this type of jump work as well.

Polari

This will be mine. I really hope this does as well as the first one did, because it sounds like it deserves to.

jj984jj

AV doesn't exist anymore since the Sammy-Sega merger, they basically merged with the rest of the studios that are now simply split into divisions. Nagoshi still heads up the division which used to be AV and Smilebit, so it's not hard to believe that after they finish the first Yakuza one team worked on the second game while another team started on SMB:BB, though this is all speculation. 1UP has confirmed that Nagoshi is working with a team to make this game, and his contribution is good enough for me to at least hope that the game will turn out well.

jj984jj said:
I think you jump with the A button.

At E3, you used the A button to jump. And it wasn't so much a jump as a "levitate up". It wasn't accelerated right to be a jump--I thought it felt wrong. It was okay--not game-ruining or anything--but I've been hoping they'd change it to "flick the world" ever since.

Rlan said:

Exactly so--this is what I still HOPE they're doing. And there is some hope:

http://www.sega.com/gamesite/bananablitz/

On the official site (gameplay tab), it says this:

smbjump.jpg

They may be only talking about the mini-games, though. I came into this thread hoping for confirmation one way or the other. The other thing I still want to know is if they'll let you hold the Wiimote sideways, which would also be a nice improvement.

gururoji

Of course, monkeys also jump into the air when the A button is pressed, but as an alternative gamers can hold down the B-trigger and quickly snap the Wii-mote back for the same effect.

There's your answer about the jumping...and if you watch the videos, you'll see it doesn't look like 'levitating' at all. Looks like a solid quick arc-like jump...I like what this could do for shortcuts and stuff, but I'm not sure that I like being able to just jump over small obstacles rather than rolling around. We'll see.

Now, each monkey has his or her own attributes which can be used for different levels. For instance, Aiai is the most well-balanced of the bunch, offering a healthy degree of both speed and maneuverability. Baby is all about pure speed. Gongon is far away the slowest and heaviest of the bunch, but he's got power; in fact, he can roll and smash through some stoppers and other objects that would repel the other monkeys. Newcomer Doctor features the fastest acceleration and Yanyan can jump the highest -- we discovered that her skill in particular really proves invaluable when attempting to navigate some crazy shortcuts. The good news is that players can change to any monkey they want to use between stages.

Oh dear...selectable monkeys? This could really go either way.

Since noone seemed to notice...
IGN Preview said:
Of course, monkeys also jump into the air when the A button is pressed, but as an alternative gamers can hold down the B-trigger and quickly snap the Wii-mote back for the same effect.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
my hope has risen incredibly at the sound of this preview.

gururoji said:
There's your answer about the jumping...and if you watch the videos, you'll see it doesn't look like 'levitating' at all. Looks like a solid quick arc-like jump...I like what this could do for shortcuts and stuff, but I'm not sure that I like being able to just jump over small obstacles rather than rolling around. We'll see.

Thanks! That's excellent news.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
sounds good. i liked the original monkey ball. i may get this game, solid single player puzzles and good multiplayer fun, sounds ideal.

AniHawk

Yeah, I love the Monkey Ball games. Definitely going to pick this up at launch.

Along with Zelda
...and Metal Slug
...and Trauma Center
...and Rayman
...and Excite TRUCK

AniHawk said:
Yeah, I love the Monkey Ball games. Definitely going to pick this up at launch.

Along with Zelda
...and Metal Slug
...and Trauma Center
...and Rayman
...and Excite TRUCK

Wow, that's pretty much the same list of launch games I'm buying, except I'll be getting Red Steel rather than Slug as I still have most Metal Slug games with me.

Good choices.

AniHawk

They're all games that I'm pretty much waiting for reviews on anyway (well, except for Zelda). Red Steel is the only one I don't have waiting because I'm more inclined to believe that it will suck.

Mar

sasimirobot said:
Gameplay ftw! My most wanted game this year.

Same. I've waited for this game for... Too long.

I've also waited too long for someone to offer opinions on the 'Challenge Mode' style of play. Finally people are talking about it instead of the mini games. The mini games are great and all, but Challenge Mode is where my pants start to inflate.

It's good to hear they like it, and the controls work well. The game looks really good too going off those videos. However I'm not a fan of the music. I was sad to see they've kept the campy happy music of the DS version, instead of the cool trance like tunes of the originals. But that's only a minor complaint.

Day 1 purchase. If there were no other games coming out, ever, for the Wii, I'd still buy the console for this.

i was teetering on getting this on launch or not. not because I don't want it... it's because I am spending so much on launch:

1 wii console
3 extra wiimotes
3 extra nunchuks
1 red steel
1 twilight princess

PLUS, I am from PA and my friend and I reserved at NWS in NY (for the whole party thing) so there is the cost of the trip as well...

so the real question is... do I buy this game too? The answer...

YES

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Gryphter said:
so the real question is... do I buy this game too? The answer...

YES
well, if you couldn't afford it, the clear thing to do would be to get it and buy zelda later.

This game is better than zelda.

plank

scola said:
btw how do you jump? botton or by bumping the controller?

didn't any body read the artical?

Top Bottom