• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Dazza

Any idea about this?
http://www.cybergadget.co.jp/products/4544859022258.html
4544859022258d04.png

No good, it doesn't have an authentication chip in it for the PS4, so you'll always need a Dualshock 4 plugged into the side of it. Not very good reviews on Amazon either.

I was looking at the Brooks one myself the PS3 -> PS4 super converter, has anyone tried to plug a PS2 -> PS3 adapter into it? So 2 adapters daisy chained?

Amedo310

Working on making a joystick

Would like to see what thee gaffers have made or bought for inspiration.

Show off your sticks!

Code:
[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/Amedo310/20150812_172911_zpsjqvl3ph4.jpg[/IMG]
All quad modded with FC4, MKX, MC Cthulhu rj45.

Anyone who's looking for a VS stick to mod, there this one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mad-Catz-St...574514?hash=item43e5583eb2:g:kNUAAOSwI-BWPTJk

I would have brought it myself, but I'm not motivated to mod a fifth one.

Mercutio

Show off your sticks!

I'll never complain about reposting my HSS-0130.

IMG_20151014_221105_zpsdd9hflxq.jpg

It is the shell of an HSS, a Sanwa Astro arcade panel, and twin MC Cthulhu boards. Neo Geo DB-9 ports also connect to a Genesis breakout box.

Mercutio

you drilled holes into the shell .. how could you :O

It was actually pretty wrecked when I got it. The story is:

I wanted an HSS-0130, but the prices were pretty high everywhere. I found one on Yahoo Auctions Japan that was listed as "junk" and pretty badly beaten up. The pictures were lousy, but I bought it for $75 and paid something like $50 in shipping / fees to Buyee.

Flash forward to when it arrived, and it is NOT good. Clearly from the home of a smoker, the plastic was yellowed and scuffed very badly. I had to use a three stage plastic cleaner to re-surface it entirely, inside and out. You can still see one of the major dents on the metal "MADE IN JAPAN" panel.

DAP_8908_zpsc13cc491.jpg

The included control panel was completely trashed. I don't know if it was kept in a humid place, sweated on too much, or caught in a flash flood. Rusted, almost entirely through.

But the kicker was the "mod" someone tried to perform on it. They'd gutted the Sega Saturn components, taken what appeared to be Dreamcast Ascii stick guts and jammed them inside. A crude diagram of what they were intending to do was included, but man was it wrong. A couple of VMUs were also in there, still working.

So, really, I don't feel bad about cutting it.

DAP_8910_zps170fa3fc.jpg

Mercutio

More like a salvage job sounds like. Yikes.

It was indeed. I gave it a better life, I think. Plus it gets to play Neo Geo games now. It's actually kind of amazing how little of it I used for my mod; the plastic shell and metal bottom plate only, frankly.

I did originally use a hacked off front of an Astro machine:

arcadeNook_full_zpscc8ef1ea.jpg

Looked cool from the front and had the coin slot, but was just empty inside and ugly from the back. I wanted something self contained.

rear_zpsbfd369e4.jpeg

These come up pretty often on YAJ for like, $20 or less.

Hey, anyone recommend the new chronos max multi console 2015 ver adapter for sticks now or should I just get a te2/hrap 4 for ps4 usage?

Not going to tournaments so it doesn't have to be tourney spec in regards to stick options. Was just on focus attack and it said doesn't need to reset every 10 mins now on ps4.

If its known for being a crap product I'll stay away, don't want to mess up ps4. Just thought I'd get a gaf opinion as this thread has served very useful for me with info previously.

C-Sword

Hey, anyone recommend the new chronos max multi console 2015 ver adapter for sticks now or should I just get a te2/hrap 4 for ps4 usage?

Not going to tournaments so it doesn't have to be tourney spec in regards to stick options. Was just on focus attack and it said doesn't need to reset every 10 mins now on ps4.

If its known for being a crap product I'll stay away, don't want to mess up ps4. Just thought I'd get a gaf opinion as this thread has served very useful for me with info previously.

Actually, it still resets every 8-10 minutes. To bypass the reauthentication process, you need to update it to the latest firmware and use a USB hub

Actually, it still resets every 8-10 minutes. To bypass the reauthentication process, you need to update it to the latest firmware and use a USB hub

Thanks that's good to know, I'll just keep my sfv te2 preorder then, and if Amazon cancels that I'll get a new hori rap. Current stick is hori and works fine, good reviews on them too for ps4.

C-Sword

Thanks that's good to know, I'll just keep my sfv te2 preorder then, and if Amazon cancels that I'll get a new hori rap. Current stick is hori and works fine, good reviews on them too for ps4.

The Brook PS4 adapters were bypassing the reauthentication process until the latest PS4 firmware update (3.11), I know that they're currently working on a solution, but if you don't want to wait, either get a new stick or mod your old one with a Fighting Commander 4 PCB.

vg260

It won't lose connection every 8-10 minutes with a hub after the latest update, just to be clear. It just depends on if you want to deal with keeping a DS4 plugged into a hub. Better than the previous solution with it though.

I have two of the v2/2014 models I've been using for a year now with 350 hours in KI on the XO, and a bunch on PS4 and it's been fine. I just have it plugged into an extension cord to prevent physical wear on the system's USB port.

The older v2 models may or may not be able to be updated to the latest firmware though. I have two and only one of mine updated. I tried it with an old powered Rock Band hub and it worked. I did end up getting PS4 sticks earlier this year, so it's kinda moot. I might get a cheap unpowered hub just for novelty in case I ever want to use an Xbox pad on PS4.

I can't speak to the Brook PS4 adapter, but I did just see the 3.11 PS4 update resulted in the 8-10 minute reset happening with those now. They say they are going to put out an update to fix it, so I'm curious if that will happen.

FWIW, I did just get a Brook 360 to XO convertor to use my 360 sticks without having to tie up an Xbox One controller w/ the CronusMax and it seems to work fine. It's nice to finally just be able to plug and play on the XO. I assume it's a legit security chip inside and an update won't break anything on the XO when the new system update hits. I probably should have waited to be safe, but hopefully it's fine.

C-Sword

It won't lose connection every 8-10 minutes with a hub after the latest update, just to be clear. It just depends on if you want to deal with keeping a DS4 plugged into a hub. Better than the previous solution with it though.

I have two of the v2/2014 models I've been using for a year now with 350 hours in KI on the XO, and a bunch on PS4 and it's been fine. I just have it plugged into an extension cord to prevent physical wear on the system's USB port.

The older v2 models may or may not be able to be updated to the latest firmware though. I have two and only one of mine updated. I tried it with an old powered Rock Band hub and it worked. I did end up getting PS4 sticks earlier this year, so it's kinda moot. I might get a cheap unpowered hub just for novelty in case I ever want to use an Xbox pad on PS4.

I can't speak to the Brook PS4 adapter, but I did just see the 3.11 PS4 update resulted in the 8-10 minute reset happening with those now. They say they are going to put out an update to fix it, so I'm curious if that will happen.

FWIW, I did just get a Brook 360 to XO convertor to use my 360 sticks without having to tie up an Xbox One controller w/ the CronusMax and it seems to work fine. It's nice to finally just be able to plug and play on the XO. I assume it's a legit security chip inside and an update won't break anything on the XO when the new system update hits. I probably should have waited to be safe, but hopefully it's fine.

I am a big supporter of the Brook adapters, they were working great before the latest update, being pretty much lagless, plug & play and not needing the orignal controllers to work made them better than the CronusMax and Titan Ones in my opinion.

vg260

I am a big supporter of the Brook adapters, they were working great before the latest update, being pretty much lagless, plug & play and not needing the orignal controllers to work made them better than the CronusMax and Titan Ones in my opinion.

Yeah, convenience-wise they seem to be the best. I got a year's use out of the CronusMax on XO and got them marked down considerably during promotions, so it was totally worth it for me never having to drop $200 just for a KI stick. I'm just tired of needing extra controllers tied up. I do like the flexibility of them, though.

The Brook adapter getting no authentication support busted in the last PS4 update makes me nervous though, since you have to buy a dedicated one for each type of device. One of the reasons the CronusMax is getting picked up by major retailers is because it still requires an official controller/chip, and isn't breaking any sort of protection. Do the Brook ones have an actual security chip in each one to make them work or are they emulating or spoofing one somehow? So far, they are not widely available, and I'm wondering if that's why or just that they're fairly new.

C-Sword

Yeah, convenience-wise they seem to be the best. I got a year's use out of the CronusMax on XO and got them marked down considerably during promotions, so it was totally worth it for me never having to drop $200 just for a KI stick. I'm just tired of needing extra controllers tied up. I do like the flexibility of them, though.

The Brook adapter getting no authentication support busted in the last PS4 update makes me nervous though, since you have to buy a dedicated one for each type of device. One of the reasons the CronusMax is getting picked up by major retailers is because it still requires an official controller/chip, and isn't breaking any sort of protection. Do the Brook ones have an actual security chip in each one to make them work or are they emulating or spoofing one somehow? So far, they are not widely available, and I'm wondering if that's why or just that they're fairly new.

I was told that they were using a security chip, you can get more info and impressions here

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/197708/brook-ps4-xboxone-controller-converters

Guymelef

WTF
Hi Guys
We are sorry to say that some users have experienced problems with our PS4 Super Converters series after doing PlayStation’s 3.11 upgrade.
The following two issues have been confirmed:
1.) The Super Converter disconnects after 8 minutes
2.) the Super Converter light go red and pressing a button does not trigger a response on the screen.
We are terribly sorry for the inconveniences this may cause our customers. Our R&D team is working hard to fix this issue, and we will release a fix as soon as we have it ready. Thank you,
The Brook Team

I'm not liking the cat and mouse game with firmware updates locking out controller adapters. One major update on PS3 did the same thing a few years ago.

Anyone have any experience modding a Madcatz TE with a silent stick and silent buttons? I've never modded a stick before, so I'd only try this if it's really straightforward (ie, pop out the old stuff, pop in the new stuff).

notworksafe

Anyone have any experience modding a Madcatz TE with a silent stick and silent buttons? I've never modded a stick before, so I'd only try this if it's really straightforward (ie, pop out the old stuff, pop in the new stuff).

you'll need a screwdriver, but it's extremely easy and essentially pop out and in.

epistaxis_

Neo Member
I'm not liking the cat and mouse game with firmware updates locking out controller adapters. One major update on PS3 did the same thing a few years ago.

Yeah, it's looking like Sony is intentionally messing with non-licensed controllers at this point. Pretty unfortunate. At least that wired Hori PS4 controller isn't super hard to hack or acquire. Cronusmax is looking more attractive at the moment even with the hassle of needing a controller.

japtor

Show off your sticks!
An excuse to repost mine since I haven't made anything since, last year according to the upload date:

Bz6CcXe.jpg

8oCDQyp.jpg

YuKwYoq.jpg

Guess I forgot to take a picture after wiring it up but whatever, imagine a bunch of white wires, there you go. I'd like to build a...non fucked up one at some point. It works fine, just a bunch of cosmetic stuff I screwed up on here and there, it was meant to be a prototype after all.

Also, totally forgot about this until now, a prototype for that prototype:

VW49Vt9l.jpg

comrade

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm looking for a stick for SF5 for PC for under $300. Any suggestions?

Wait until the next beta and towards the final release. A lot of sticks seemed to not work with the PC version until someone made some work arounds. (Though I guess a lot of them were PS3/4 sticks, still~) You should wait to see what kind-of support they're going to do for it.

But yeah, if you're not going to use it on a console, a 360 or 720 stick should in theory be massively supported. Double so with Microsoft working on Killer Instinct for Windows 10.

comrade

Wait until the next beta and towards the final release. A lot of sticks seemed to not work with the PC version until someone made some work arounds. (Though I guess a lot of them were PS3/4 sticks, still~) You should wait to see what kind-of support they're going to do for it.

But yeah, if you're not going to use it on a console, a 360 or 720 stick should in theory be massively supported. Double so with Microsoft working on Killer Instinct for Windows 10.

Thanks for the advice. I don't really need the stick right now so I can wait. Maybe they'll come out with some new sticks by then.

Top Bottom