• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Anne

Unless you end up with a really terrible PCB stick lag isn't a huge deal. I think I've only had one or two instances where a stick was causing noticeable lag in the last couple years and I'm pretty sure that's cause they were dying PCBs anyways.

FinKL

Sorry to drag this up again, but Capcom Cup sold me on actually getting into fighters and I can afford hardware now:

Are the results on this site generally considered accurate?

The HRAP 4 Kai is available at a bargain basement price right now, but if it really does have latency issues I might just preorder a TE2+.

The Hori Rap4 has been $100 on Frys a few months ago. It's a decent stick, though I still prefer the layout of the OG TE. Dislike the Kuros, but you could buy two for 1 TE2.

I think teyah's results are accurate as I found a Japanese test that tested between the Kai and TE2 and it corrobated teyah's results. With that said, a difference of ~10ms is pretty minuscule and unless you are Capcom Cup material, you won't notice the less than 1f of lag that it has.

drotahorror

Don't kill me, I tried searching!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014KXMEW4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

CxfjoTs.png

Anyone had any hands on? Very cheap and looks alright.

Coda

Going to add a heavier spring and bat top to my Hori Hayabusa stick. I read on a Tekken forum that doing so makes it feel like a Fanta stick but gives you the best of both worlds because you still have the gate. Has anyone tried this before?

That will probably be the same/worse quality at double the price. At least Hori's stick will have decent parts with Kuro/Hayabusa. MCZ parts stink.
Ministicks aren't going to have Hayabusa parts. Everything, including the lever and buttons, is a smaller form factor.

They're a cute stick collector's item but not really practical to actually use.

Anne

Be better off waiting for the MC mini stick, yes?

Minis tend to be ass tbh, the older MCZ one is okay by virtue of being easy to mod. If you want a budget stick wait for reviews to see how they go and if they can be upgraded later, or wait for a sale on something. For the price of the MCZ mini you might as well look for a Hori around $100~ or check for buy/sell/trade type stuff. PS4 stuff is a bit pricey right now to find something even worth dipping your feet in with.

Spman2099

It's not out yet so I doubt many people have touched it. That being said, Hori's budget offerings in the last gen were pretty terrible and a pain to mod.

Have you tried their past mini sticks? I stand by them as incredibly solid value propositions. Don't get me wrong, I am not planning to replace my V4 with one, but they are great sticks for forty bucks. They are the sticks I am happy to throw in my bag and have on hand when I go to a friends place(in case someone is interested in playing a fighting game). It gets the job done super well and doesn't feel like one of those god-awful cheap-ass sticks (the kind that usually sell at that price point).

You are absolutely correct that you can't mod them, though. More than anything because they aren't the conventional size. Admittedly, they would also probably be terrible for lap play.

My guess would be that this new one will be awesome like the previous ones have been.

Anne

Have you tried their past mini sticks? I stand by them as incredibly solid value propositions. Don't get me wrong, I am not planning to replace my V4 with one, but they are great sticks for forty bucks.

You are absolutely correct that you can't mod them, though. More than anything because they aren't the conventional size.

My guess would be that this new one will be awesome like the previous ones have been.

Yeah I've used them, they're ass. I'm not opposed to lower end budget sticks by any means, but the PS360 gen Hori budget stuff was pretty impractical even for that price, especially compared to the MCZ $50 offering that could be upgraded cheaply into a really nice stick. At the arcade I'm at we get all sorts of sticks coming in and out and the Hori budget stuff usually just breaks or gets thrown into a corner somewhere.

I'll admit it is better than some o fthe crap that gets pushed out but it's better to expand the budget a bit or look for a better solution if it's comparable to the PS360 gen stuff.

Torpy

Neo Member
Ended up biting on the RAP 4, only ever used sanwa buttons, but I'm honestly hoping I don't notice it or the latency. But at that price its not too huge of a deal if I need to replace parts.

notworksafe

Ministicks aren't going to have Hayabusa parts. Everything, including the lever and buttons, is a smaller form factor.

They're a cute stick collector's item but not really practical to actually use.

Oh really? Well damn. I figured they would and considered biting on one for that reason. Guess I'll wait and see.

Ended up biting on the RAP 4, only ever used sanwa buttons, but I'm honestly hoping I don't notice it or the latency. But at that price its not too huge of a deal if I need to replace parts.

Kuros take a little bit to get used to, but are pretty nice once you do.

Exley

Neo Member
Oh really? Well damn. I figured they would and considered biting on one for that reason. Guess I'll wait and see.

I remember seeing a picture that shows the stick will have the same V cut housing, I'm assuming it'll be a cheaper smaller version of the hayabusa.

Spman2099

Yeah I've used them, they're ass. I'm not opposed to lower end budget sticks by any means, but the PS360 gen Hori budget stuff was pretty impractical even for that price, especially compared to the MCZ $50 offering that could be upgraded cheaply into a really nice stick. At the arcade I'm at we get all sorts of sticks coming in and out and the Hori budget stuff usually just breaks or gets thrown into a corner somewhere.

I'll admit it is better than some o fthe crap that gets pushed out but it's better to expand the budget a bit or look for a better solution if it's comparable to the PS360 gen stuff.

I started with an SE. That is a great option if you are looking to transition into a more expensive stick. The stock parts are... fine. I guess. However, I actually prefer my upgraded SE to my TE.

However, the mini is more than a cheap stop gap, it can have utility alongside your primary stick. It is super portable, and it is cheap as hell. That being said, the build quality still seems quite solid.

I think calling them "ass" is pure hyperbole (though pretty common hyperbole in the FGC). They are solid, responsive sticks. You may not like the travel, or you maybe hate the square gate, or the buttons may have too much spring for you, but that is purely preference based. Moreover, they are great for something that you can easily throw in a bag and take with you. It is an excellent companion product (and not a bad stick to start with, especially at that price).

Momentary

Banned
GIANTSWORD is almost done with my GS-R

IMAG1421_zpsw2bqochk.jpg~original

It's been a long wait, but damn has it been worth it. He did a fantastic job on all my engraving requests and he's been pleasant to work with.

Every time I see somebody linking to that input lag stick test page I'm asking myself.
Is it something a mere mortal would notice?

If we were talking about rhythm game controllers? Yes. If those test results are accurate, some of those sticks lag worse than a significant portion of the timing window of some music games. This chart gives an idea of the timing some of these games demand:

Fighters are commonly cited as the other genre of game where lag really matters.

notworksafe

Hmmm... Tempting, then, I may bite.

EDIT: Does this work well with PC? Haven't decided if I'm going to get SFV on PC or PS4.

The sticks works well with PC, yes. Currently the SFV beta does not support Directinput sticks, but I imagine they will be implemented for the final release.

HRAP4 down to 112 on Amazon...it seems to be dropping $1-2 a day for some reason

ACE 1991

The sticks works well with PC, yes. Currently the SFV beta does not support Directinput sticks, but I imagine they will be implemented for the final release.

HRAP4 down to 112 on Amazon...it seems to be dropping $1-2 a day for some reason

Yeah, I'ma bite I think.

EDIT: Does anyone have a guess about how long it could stay this price for?

ACE 1991

No clue. It's dropped from 150-112 slowly but surely over 3 days but who knows when it'll go back.

Hmm. I just applied for an Amazon Credit Card (been thinking about doing this for a while anyways) and I'd like to use the $80 signup bonus to buy this stick, but I'm not sure when exactly I'll get my approval letter and Amazon credit to put towards the purchase.

Anyone know the deal with Razer? Do they have some deal with microsoft that they can't make PS4 sticks? It seems like a lot of big fighters this gen will PS4/PC exclusive, and yet they don't make a PS4 stick.
It's weird that they are sponsoring players who will undoubtedly be playing SFV next year, yet as a PS4 owner(the platform the game will be played on at events) they don't sell a stick I can just buy and use.

Skilletor

Anyone know the deal with Razer? Do they have some deal with microsoft that they can't make PS4 sticks? It seems like a lot of big fighters this gen will PS4/PC exclusive, and yet they don't make a PS4 stick.
It's weird that they are sponsoring players who will undoubtedly be playing SFV next year, yet as a PS4 owner(the platform the game will be played on at events) they don't sell a stick I can just buy and use.

The president or CEO of razer or whatever said that they don't make things for Sony systems (PS3 at the time) because that's not what they play on. Seems like that's carried forward for PS4, even though it's going to mean less money for them.

http://kotaku.com/razer-doesnt-make-ps3-accessories-because-its-boss-rar-688038049

The president or CEO of razer or whatever said that they don't make things for Sony systems (PS3 at the time) because that's not what they play on. Seems like that's carried forward for PS4, even though it's going to mean less money for them.

http://kotaku.com/razer-doesnt-make-ps3-accessories-because-its-boss-rar-688038049
That's interesting. It just seems like things have changed so much for Sony platforms since then. What's the point of them sponsoring pro SFV players then? The whole point to sell product, yet they don't have a product that the majority of SFV can just use. So even if you're impressed by a pro player enough to want to buy what they use, you'll look it up and then end up getting a Hori or Mad Catz anyway.
I love my TE2, but the Razer has always looked like a solid well made stick that I'd like to add to my collection.

BiggNife

Razer accessories have a nice look to them but have a reputation for being fragile. The fact that a Razer arcade stick broke during Grand Finals of Evo this year basically guarantees I'll never buy a stick from them.

Don't kill me, I tried searching!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014KXMEW4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anyone had any hands on? Very cheap and looks alright.

No one's used it since it's not out yet, but I can't imagine a $40 stick will let you easily swap in good arcade parts (and I have to assume the stock parts that come with the stick will probably be terrible). If it does, then that's an absolute steal.

My general rule is that if you're looking into a cheap stick, get one that allows you to swap in better stuff in case you decide you want to get more serious about fighting games. The buttons/stick on sub-$100 sticks are usually poorly made and break after a few months of heavy use.

That's interesting. It just seems like things have changed so much for Sony platforms since then. What's the point of them sponsoring pro SFV players then? The whole point to sell product, yet they don't have a product that the majority of SFV can just use. So even if you're impressed by a pro player enough to want to buy what they use, you'll look it up and then end up getting a Hori or Mad Catz anyway.
I love my TE2, but the Razer has always looked like a solid well made stick that I'd like to add to my collection.

They do look great, but it's twice now in the span of half a year now that they've failed catastrophically on stream at a major tournament. You might be able to pass off one failure as a freak accident (the likes of which Hori and MadCatz have never suffered) but two failures suggests it's more than an isolated incident.

Skilletor

Razer accessories have a nice look to them but have a reputation for being fragile. The fact that a Razer arcade stick broke during Grand Finals of Evo this year basically guarantees I'll never buy a stick from them.

And at Capcup, lol.

I definitely would avoid buying them.

notworksafe

Never heard that before, they always looked really well made to me. I guess luckily I don't really have a choice in the matter anyway.

Mine failed within a week of buying it, same for a friend's. Plus they died on stage twice in major tournaments this year. Their customer service is very good as far as getting a replacement out to you quickly but I'd prefer to just not have any issues to begin with.

Top Bottom