• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Neoxon

Normally I'd be sad that I missed out on the TE2+, but SFV doesn't really use the touch-pad (or the L3/R3 buttons as of Beta 2). Plus it's WAY too expensive for my blood (I got my TE2 for $155). It still looks sick, though.

notworksafe

MKX and SF4 PS4 use the touchpad. Wouldn't be surprised if SFV integrates it in a similar way. It works well as an extra button. I doubt it'll be something required though.

BiggNife

MKX and SF4 PS4 use the touchpad. Wouldn't be surprised if SFV integrates it in a similar way. It works well as an extra button. I doubt it'll be something required though.

It sure would suck if it was required because then Venom stick and vanilla TE2 owners would be boned. It's probably going to be something like a quick reset button in training.

Edzi

So, between the TE2+ and the S+ is it just a matter of preference? Or are there actual pros and cons between the two? Preordered the TE2+ just in case, but I sort of like the way the S+ shell looks like.

notworksafe

It sure would suck if it was required because then Venom stick and vanilla TE2 owners would be boned. It's probably going to be something like a quick reset button in training.
Yeah that's what it is in MKX. In USF4 you use it to set buttons at the character select screen. Either way I'm using my quadmod FS Pro so I'm out of luck on any touchpad support.

Disappointed by the Madcatz reveal. I was waiting for a real new design for the case and it's only redesign of existing models but more expensive. Guess I'll have to go back to Hori then... :(

Skilletor

I wonder what solution they'll use on the PC version for the touchpad, if it's used, and if that could be implemented on the PS4.

vg260

They shouldn't skimp on extra functionality in the software just because of the old stick designs, though. Those were designs carried over from previous gen controller specs/features, and third parties rushing to get out peripherals shouldn't gimp all future software, which should be able to mimic the functionality of the default controller. Kind of the price for early adoption of hardware without much foresight put into them.

Glad to see the sticks will have these. Will pick up one for sure.

I wonder what solution they'll use on the PC version for the touchpad, if it's used, and if that could be implemented on the PS4.

The game probably won't have any swiping functions, just serve as the missing select button, so it should be able to be mapped.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Disappointed by the Madcatz reveal. I was waiting for a real new design for the case and it's only redesign of existing models but more expensive. Guess I'll have to go back to Hori then... :(

Mad Catz has introduced 6 different FightStick main housings/bodies in the past 6 years. More than any other arcade stick company on the market. The TE2 is still fairly young in age and we're bringing back the original TE for SFV's launch. We probably won't explore a TE3 or new VS for quite some time. Sorry.

Hey MarkMan are the TE2+ and TE2 side panels the same?

Yes.

Sad they weren't revealed at PSX, but no biggie. Not sure why these things are still pretty expensive..

We'll have them at PSX (if you can find us) and you can try them out! There are a lot of factors on the price, but I'd rather not go into that. Gotta pay up royalties for daddy Capcom and Sony ;)

Kind of sad there's no VS case. :/

I would have bought one of those immediately.

The year is still young (I mean 2016).

So has it been confirmed that you can't swap out the buttons/stick in the Alpha? Because it's not mentioned anywhere in the Amazon listing.

You can swap out buttons/stick in the Alpha, for sure. It's just not as easy as the TE-S+ or TE2+.

RedSquare

Oh man, sorry Hori FC4 I will have to put you on hold. Those madcatz pads are mine.

big-mistake-big-feet-1436817580.gif

BiggNife

They shouldn't skimp on extra functionality in the software just because of the old stick designs, though. Those were designs carried over from previous gen controller specs/features, and third parties rushing to get out peripherals shouldn't gimp all future software, which should be able to mimic the functionality of the default controller. Kind of the price for early adoption of hardware without much foresight put into them.

Glad to see the sticks will have these. Will pick up one for sure.

You've said this before, and I understand your argument, but on the other side of the coin but I really, really don't think people should be punished for being enthusiasts and buying equipment early. I don't have any issue with the touchpad being used for an optional feature like fast training resets - whatever, that's fine. If it's required for some reason, then yeah, that's shitty. I doubt that'll be the case, though.

Mad Catz has introduced 6 different FightStick main housings/bodies in the past 6 years. More than any other arcade stick company on the market. The TE2 is still fairly young in age and we're bringing back the original TE for SFV's launch. We probably won't explore a TE3 or new VS for quite some time. Sorry.

No problem, I wasn't seduced by the TE2 since it's launch, I guess that's just a taste thing. The work done on the pad seems great and I'm happy the pad players will have more choice to play. :)

vg260

You've said this before, and I understand your argument, but on the other side of the coin but I really, really don't think people should be punished for being enthusiasts and buying equipment early. I don't have any issue with the touchpad being used for an optional feature like fast training resets - whatever, that's fine. If it's required for some reason, then yeah, that's shitty. I doubt that'll be the case, though.

I don't think it should be anything critical, but these were specialty controllers known to be lacking multiple input modes the default controller had day one. I put the blame on Sony for the stupid share button and their rules about the touchpad button, and the third-party peripheral makers who re-used hardware from old systems for lacking foresight, but really, I think this was a buyer-beware situation. You're pretty much buying a stick without a select button that's been used in fighters for years. That's a known sacrifice. I think people should have realized this before dropping $200 on a stick and complaining about it.

As long as the game is technically playable without the touchpad function, that's the bare minimum that should be required to be playable using older sticks/pads without it. Early adoption of feature-lacking thirds-party devices should not hamstring functionality anymore in terms of advanced UI navigation or additional features. At the very worst, all the in-match action buttons are there, just like USFIV PS4 is now. You miss out on some features, but that's fine. If you want more, you need to upgrade. It happens all the time. Heck, I remember trying to play SF2 on the genesis with the original controller before having to get the 6-button one.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Is the bezel the same on the TE2/2+ as well? Was hoping to eventually convert it to an all black (or black and white) stick.

The bezel for the TE2 and TE2+ are the same!

No problem, I wasn't seduced by the TE2 since it's launch, I guess that's just a taste thing. The work done on the pad seems great and I'm happy the pad players will have more choice to play. :)

Thanks. Yeah, I know not many people are fans of the TE2 and some like the TE better. That's why we're releasing both version and entertaining the idea of doing others (VS, etc).

vg260

Trying to decide about pre-ordering one of the new TE2s. What are people's thoughts on the button cutouts on the TE2s?

One thing I wasn't crazy about on the original TE2s was the plexi cutout being around the buttons rather than the edge of the buttons covering the edges of the cutouts like on all old models. Is there much of a gap arounf the buttons? Seems like any gaps could get dust/dirt/gunk in them. Also are they recessed at all? I don't like that idea. If I recall there were some spacers to keep the base of the buttons at least level. Is that still the case?

Personally, I wish they brought back the Pro case for one of the SFV stick options. I still like that one best.

Yes Boss!

Yeah, any -01 designated (with 5-pin header) Seimitsu lever should work. I don't think there is a direct micro switch connected version of the Hayabusa lever, so they all use 5-pin connectors. I've swapped out two Hayabusas for LS-32's myself from other HRAP's.

Oh cool. I just ordered a standard LS-32-01. I will give the Hyabusa a definite go as well, though. Gonna be my dedicated Darius stick with a wood balltop!

Been a while since i've posted here... had to sell off my 2 360 sticks recently since we're moving to Japan and trying to minimise what we have to ship over. With a PS4 & SFV on the horizon when i get there, decided to go for Hori's new stick with the Hayabusa buttons. Very much looking forward to reaching my inlaws early next year and seeing how the new parts compare to my old Sanwa!

Not my pic below, just wanted to post the nice box art. Though maybe blue for the panel art would have matched better with PS4, red still looks nice... kinda more like a PS3 stick. This will be getting a lot of mileage on my PS3 as well, since there's a LOT of old fighters on JP PSN that i'll be picking up :) Garou first, since my 360 isn't making the trip with me!

Also just after it shipped they seem to have announced another one due out on the 17th, the silent variation:
Not much more expensive, but i prefer the red and actually think sticks are more fun when they're making lots of noise :D

LegendX48

How big is the TE S+ compared to the old TE? Also, are the designs final? Can't help but feel like the current placement of the touch pad button, L3/R3 and PS buttons is a little too close to the main face buttons and stick.

vg260

How big is the TE S+ compared to the old TE? Also, are the designs final? Can't help but feel like the current placement of the touch pad button, L3/R3 and PS buttons is a little too close to the main face buttons and stick.

I think it's supposed to be the exact same in terms of size and stick/button placement, which is why the panel doesn't have much space around it.

I kinda like how close it is. I wonder if you can re-wire the start button to one of those top buttons? I grew to prefer the start button on top from the Hori. I don't play in tourneys, and prefer it more convenient to reach.

LegendX48

I think it's supposed to be the exact same in terms of size and stick/button placement, which is why the panel doesn't have much space around it.

I kinda like how close it is. I wonder if you can re-wire the start button to one of those top buttons? I grew to prefer the start button on top from the Hori. I don't play in tourneys, and prefer it more convenient to reach.

I hope it is, I like the size of the TE. The placement of those buttons has me a bit worried though, I feel like I'll be hitting some of the buttons there by mistake fairly frequently. Welp, time will tell.

Armaly

If I go to an event like Pax could I grab a TE2+ early? Saw a dude sitting on the ground with a te2 box at psx off the capcom fighters stream. Couldn't tell whether it was a TE2 or TE2+.

It depends on the event; they usually have merchandise booths at every major event but whether an event gets something early or exclusive varies.

Neoxon

If I go to an event like Pax could I grab a TE2+ early? Saw a dude sitting on the ground with a te2 box at psx off the capcom fighters stream. Couldn't tell whether it was a TE2 or TE2+.
I didn't see a plus on the labeling, so I'm guessing it was just a TE2. That plus it lacks the two white Sanwas present on the TE2+.

vg260

Trying to decide about pre-ordering one of the new TE2s. What are people's thoughts on the button cutouts on the TE2s?

One thing I wasn't crazy about on the original TE2s was the plexi cutout being around the buttons rather than the edge of the buttons covering the edges of the cutouts like on all old models. Is there much of a gap arounf the buttons? Seems like any gaps could get dust/dirt/gunk in them. Also are they recessed at all? I don't like that idea. If I recall there were some spacers to keep the base of the buttons at least level. Is that still the case?

Sorry for quoting myself but I'm really curious about this plus one more question as I'm trying to decide about preorders.

How hollow sounding/loud are the TE2s? While I like the Pro case, my one beef was that it's much more hollow, so the buttons were much louder/echoey.
I broke out an old 360 Chun-Li TES and it felt much more solid and therefore more solid-sounding and less echoey. For some reason it was much more satisfying to have a lower less hollow sounding thud/click when hitting the buttons if that makes sense.

bethore

Wait, I'm confused. I heard the news about the new Hori and recently remembered that it was going to be released this December. I just checked the price and saw that it was actually cheaper than the previous iteration and the Kai. I'm having a hard time finding new info about the stick. How is it cheaper? Did they remove features? The only thing I can find out about the stick is that it uses new Hayabusa buttons.

Skilletor

Skil banned... I guess it's gonna be a while until we see that mod :(

Only a couple days. Posting in the VR thread at PSX and I said, "All of these VR games look terrible..." meaning all of the games they were showing at the event...that the thread was about, but I guess people construed it as "ALL VR GAMES LOOK TERRIBLE" lol.

Whatever, I'll be more clear in the future.

But Jansen isn't selling the VLX thing yet, so it'll be awhile anyway. :p

Relique

Was thinking about pre-ordering the TE2+ on amazon when I noticed the HRAP4 Kai has a decent price cut. Amazing price for the stick considering all the games coming out next year for the PS4.

http://amznly.com/2cz

$127.31

Edit: Picked one up myself. Don't want to pay an extra 100+ dollars and wait till February for a marginally better stick.

Fully intending to buy a TE2, but also want to adapter up just for convenience's sake. GAF - Cronus or Brook? Is one verifiably better? Are they okay?

vg260

Fully intending to buy a TE2, but also want to adapter up just for convenience's sake. GAF - Cronus or Brook? Is one verifiably better? Are they okay?

Both are good with pros/cons. I like them both. Cronusmax is more flexible with any console/controller combo and very customizable with multiple memory slots if you like to map differently for different controllers but requires an authentication controller and/or USB hub. Brook does not, but you need to buy one specifically for the system/controller combo you plan to use. It depends on your needs.

One downside of the Brook one for the PS4 is that it won't let you map the touchpad click to the back/select button currently, which is annoying. Thinking about selling the one I just got as a result unless they can update the firmware to allow it.

h3ro

Was thinking about pre-ordering the TE2+ on amazon when I noticed the HRAP4 Kai has a decent price cut. Amazing price for the stick considering all the games coming out next year for the PS4.

$127.31

Edit: Picked one up myself. Don't want to pay an extra 100+ dollars and wait till February for a marginally better stick.
Hmmm that's enticing. What's the consensus on this stick?
Is it easily modded?

Skilletor

$127.31

That's a great price. Probably clearing stock for the new model coming out.

Hmmm that's enticing. What's the consensus on this stick?
Is it easily modded?

I have one and I like it a lot. Realestate on the top of the stick is a bit lacking though. People with big hands will probably want something larger to accommodate. The smaller form factor does make it easier to store and to carry around to meets though. The case is solid, but it doesn't feel as well built as previous HRAPs.

The Hayabusa stick is pretty great. I would put it somewhere between a JLF and an LS32. Very good stick for Capcom fighters and it even holds its own with shumps and old arcade titles. The Kuros are serviceable, but mushy. I will probably replace them when I have some spare cash.

Modding requires that you remove a tamper sticker, which voids your warranty. Once you're inside, replacing parts is as straightforward as any other HRAP. All major Japanese buttons and sticks should fit.

Top Bottom